Retirement Projects

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,243 Member
    Options
    I liked the kayak building magazines better :)
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I liked the kayak building magazines better :)

Yeah, more positive topic.
  • Farback
    Options
    Felt footies added, final sanding with fine steel wool and they're off to good homes.
    fcqvuoss0obd.png
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    My son and I put this YouTube video together yesterday.

Corn Fueled Blacksmith's Coal Forge

We have another one in editing about making my brake rotor blacksmith forge.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,924 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Felt footies added, final sanding with fine steel wool and they're off to good homes.
    fcqvuoss0obd.png

I'm a bit surprised you didn't join the slats via mortise & tenon.
  • Farback
    Options
    I considered a fancier joint, but made them the same as the picture my daughter sent asking if I could make them. All dimensions pulled out of thin air, no plans. Plus, these joints gave me a chance to use my Freud dada set on the new to me refurbished 1950’s saw.

7fyylk44yheu.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,243 Member
    Options
    I hope you enjoy the new Taco!

I took maybe four or five years to find mine. I just couldn't find the RIGHT Toyota truck to replace a 20-year old 1977 Celica GT that I was the third owner. I finally found one on a dealer lot that was ~almost~ what I wanted. Right next to it was a brand new truck for only $1000 more. I never in my life thought I would buy a new vehicle, but I drove away with a brand new truck. That was 21 years ago. I've only got 215,000 on the clock, so it's surely got another five years on it or so. The only two times I don't like the manual transmission is when dealing with heavy slow traffic and pulling a trailer up from a steep boat ramp. Fortunately, 4-low makes that a little less scary. I really don't want to stall and drop the rig into the river....

Would I like a more modern radio? Sure. Who uses cassette tapes anymore? Do I want power windows and locks? Well, not even that much, but it would be nice. Do I want a seat belt that actually retracts? Well, no because I replaced the original as the belt was getting frayed. The paint job is looking blue, as Neil would say. But it's a great little truck.

The one thing I do think would be really nice is two extra seats and doors, but that reduces space in the cargo bed.

sn3qlk3eb1h1.jpg

• UncleMac
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Although I normally seek out used vehicles, back in 2011 I bought a brand-new 2011 Tundra and added a cap. It's been a great truck!! Decent gas mileage for a V8 4x4 full sized vehicle.

I took the picture from a distance to put into perspective the amount of snow pushed off of our parking lot at work.
    1rk9fcrhil3o.png

• d_thomas02
    edited January 2019
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

... I never in my life thought I would buy a new vehicle, but I drove away with a brand new truck. That was 21 years ago. I've only got 215,000 on the clock, so it's surely got another five years on it or so.

My previous daily driver was a '94 Toyota truck (what became the Tacoma) that I bought new (my first new new vehicle) in early '95. It was also not quite what I was looking for as it was a dark blue rather than my preferred bright blue. Had 1 mile on the odometer. Retired late last year with a blown head gasket or cracked head, not sure which. It was a compromise between a farm truck and a daily commuter. 4 cylinder, manual, 4x4. Just ticked over 300K. The family named my old blue truck "Mouse" in honor of the 4 cylinder, a mouse on an exercise wheel for an engine was the inspiration.

Not a great shot of Mouse, but you should get the idea.
    1r06gtvoen0k.jpg

I'm gonna put a good used engine in it and retire it as a driver. It will become my full time farm truck. Save some wear and tear on "Darth Vader" (what the family is calling my black taco for some reason).

5brb5b7h54xw.jpg
  • Farback
    Options
    A bird’s eye maple dish for my modified fire dept locker to hold change and car keys.

q8eahizz3yfw.jpeg
    bb2nfpuwoqjm.jpeg
  • Farback
    Options
    Nice truck David. It looks like the old one served you well. I think I’ll be retiring the GTI this year and buying either a Toyota or Nissan truck. Second hand, too old for new vehicles unless I lease.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    Manual transmission are nearly impossible to find these days. :'(

Heard that. I have missed twice in recent years - once on a RAV4 and once on an Escape. Found a manual version of each, but was the second (otherwise known as late) buyer each time.

Settled for an automatic version of each at different times. Good vehicles, even with the slushbox.

• d_thomas02
    edited January 2019
    Options
    My wife went to a baby shower today for our niece (it'll be her second kid) and sent me this photo of something that I made for our niece's wedding way before I got into blacksmithing.

I cut the rings and small branch (used for the spacers between the rings) from an oak tree on my father-in-law's property. I cut over a dozen 1 inch thick rings with a chainsaw freehand (hardest part). Dried, fixed the inevitably checks, flattened, sanded, and applied the clear poly. Selected the best four for the final product. It can be disassembled for storage.

My wife says that she uses it all the time.

x39zyhzjk8od.jpg
  • Farback
    Options
    That is very cool, and it's great to see something you've built and gifted in use.
  • Farback
    Options
    Purpleheart stand finished with Tung oil for my vintage Gurkha Kukri.

lqac65fs28ic.png
    dfnudlxu1gv2.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    That looks amazing, Kirk!
  • Farback
    Options
    Thanks Wayne. I expect it will end up in my basement office, out of reach of the grandkids.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Both are beautiful!

My understanding is that purpleheart dust is an irritant and a sensitizer.

Kirk, I'm sure you know this. I'm throwing this out for others. This is not a wood for beginners.

By the by, is it bad that with my current hobby I focused on the blade first? Is there a story behind it?