Retirement Projects

Options
1141516171820»

Replies

• CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My retirement turned into volunteering for NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). Although I have no tangible evidence in terms of production, we touch and impact people’s lives.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    My retirement turned into volunteering for NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). Although I have no tangible evidence in terms of production, we touch and impact people’s lives.

@CrazyMermaid1, people living more satisfying lives is an excellent tangible outcome, if you ask me. Thank you for doing that work!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A recent study from Singapore found that older adults who exercise with their spouse achieve lower physical activity levels than older adults without their spouse.

Mutual motivation and support aside, maybe it's best to do your own workout.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,924 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    A recent study from Singapore found that older adults who exercise with their spouse achieve lower physical activity levels than older adults without their spouse.

Mutual motivation and support aside, maybe it's best to do your own workout.
    Since my primary workout method is walking, I can confirm when my wife walks with me, my pace and heart rate are lower. I don't know if the same would be said for her?
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    The newest acquisition on the Mushroom Farm. A professional quality downdraft Laminar Flow Hood.

rb0ghcy5nyb8.jpeg

I've been working on this hood for several months now, but this last week has seen a big push to get it up and running in the mushroom lab. I still need to install Plexiglas side shields around the hood work area but, as of this morning, the lab is functional again.

Mycology requires aseptic technique to prevent contamination of the cultures that are grown in basically sugar water. Common contaminates are bacteria, yeast, and mold all of which are everywhere. The best defense against contamination is clean sterile air. For the past two years I've been using a 30"x30" (76x76 cm) box fan with a residential furnace HEPA filter taped onto it. Better than nothing but only just.

The filter on the new hood is 24"x48" and 12" deep (61x122x30 cm) with a filtration efficiency of 99.97% (< 0.3 microns). It also has a prefilter above it to remove most of the dust and debris to increase the life of the expensive HEPA. The squirrel cage blower in this thing runs on 240V. Total weight is over 150 lbs (68 kg) and it hangs from the overhead joists on chains with turnbuckles to level and adjust the height.

s6glakvqzldq.jpeg

I had to raise the ceiling of the "tent" to accommodate the hood so now I won't be able to open the garage door more than four foot or so.

y5fj7oamb8mw.jpeg

Overall, the build went fairly painlessly with an extra pair of hands when needed.

ktqyjpwby8zu.jpeg
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,924 Member
    Options
    My stepson loves mushrooms although he tends toward foraging rather than cultivating. Our area in Texas is semi-arid so I don't think there's much out there... and since we spend summer in Canada and let out the Texas house via AirBnB, I can't see setting up a fancy rig like this but I can admire yours!!