Retirement Projects

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,924 Member
    Options
    After she dropped it to the mechanic, I gave her a ride home. She acknowledged she'd heard something for a few weeks but didn't think it was serious since the truck appeared to be handling/performing well.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,243 Member
    Options
    Front end noise is ALWAYS a visit to the shop! That's a pretty important system up there. Almost as important as brakes.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Front end noise is ALWAYS a visit to the shop! That's a pretty important system up there. Almost as important as brakes.
    Agreed. Given how many things can go wrong, the fact she continued to drive despite hearing noises...
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    FINALLY... managed to get into the smithy today. Second session this year. Had a dozen or so split cross blanks from the first session, so wanted to finish them.

Before: (10 on the anvil and, didn't realize it when I took the photo, two more still in the bucket I had thrown them in.)
    pvac77a2k3pt.jpg
    During: (Photo didn't come out as clear as I hoped but there are three work pieces in the corn fueled fire somewhere.)
    dilnkdva9xsr.jpg
    And after. (Forgot to take after photo until after I had already given two away as Mother's Day gifts to my mom and sister.)
    odt6fsfro42a.jpg

Still have three blanks to go. Ran out of time and arm muscle. Definitely out of practice.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Awesome work! Your new/old anvil getting a good workout!!
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Thought I'd get some time in the smithy today but then my wife decided to stay home all day and take it easy as the doc ordered. I decided to do the same. So we made a big batch of air popped popcorn and binge-watched some movies on Netflix... all day.

I'll try to get in the smithy again next weekend.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    My latest finished project. Nerdy bookworms.
    h1ualt0myu3h.jpg

Bookworms to use as bookmarks?
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    My latest finished project. Nerdy bookworms.
    h1ualt0myu3h.jpg

Bookworms to use as bookmarks?

Yes, bookmarks.
  • d_thomas02
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Made it back into the smithy Saturday, if only for a couple of hours.

https://youtu.be/-Kq_hwmoo0Y

v9mv9c277z19.jpg
    u59vu3yzid7d.jpg
    fv70k7l8wlc4.jpg

Woefully out of practice.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »

Who was laughing at the end? Your missus?
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    d_thomas02 wrote: »

Who was laughing at the end? Your missus?

Yup. She snuck in while I was playing.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Black Friday! Whoo-hoo!!

No I'm not going shopping. I'm going to light my forge and spend the day in the smithy!!
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Had plans to get out to the smithy yesterday and light my forge... but it isn't often that I get the chance to just laze around watching movies with the family all day.

I'll light that forge today for sure.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Glad you got the fire lit in your heart from the family. You can fire up the forge any time you want. And I bet you will.... Stay warm :smile:
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    So-so day in the smithy yesterday. Was working on a commission and it was coming along nicely. And then... I don't know. Maybe I overworked it. Anyway, I finally stopped mangling the poor thing and put it down.

Going to look at it with fresh eyes this morning. Thinking I'll need to light the oxy-propane torch and start slowly fiddling with it and see if I can't salvage something out of it.

I'll get some before and after photos posted later.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Hey @d_thomas02 -- You haven't been at the forge for quite a while. Didn't you just build it last year? It's kind of a reawakening. It may take you a few tries to get back in the swing of things -- like that hammer. I had a yoga instructor years ago that told us that our first asana was like the first pancake. You know how the first pancake usually doesn't turn out right? Yeah. Like that. But the rest of them might be really good.

Good luck with your pancakes!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The joy of being an artisan... It's never perfect but one keeps trying...
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I would say you've nailed it, so to speak. Well done!!