would julyke to hear how everyone's workout went?

Options

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I've gone MIA, been unable to workout regularly lately due to life and work stuff going on. But I'll see you guys on the other side of this bump.

I did go an get a workout done today! Clean pulls (thru which I realized I might've been using too narrow a grip! Will keep you guys posted!), OHP 70x5, 72.5x3, 75x3, 77.5x3 superset with assisted pull-ups. Then a 12 min AMRAP of 1 single power clean @95lbs, 2 hanging knee raises, 3 burpees over bar, 4 bw squats (got 11 + 1 burpee in). Whew!
  • krokador
    Options
    2days in a row? What is this sorcery!

Snatch balance x3 + overhead squat x3, @75lbs, 2x80, 85, 90 all good :)

Front squats 105x5, 115x3, 120x3, 125x3
    superset with box jumps 20'x4, 22x4, 23'x4, 24'x4 (none of these came easy though. I had to fight with myself mentally to even attempt the first jump of every set. I have a feeling the next jump I miss will be my last one for life unless I can get the padded plyo boxes. There's only so many times I can overcome the fear of missing (and my shins are quite beat up, I'm worried anymore abuse and I'll break my tibia down the line :/)

Then the grinder of death: For time, descending ladder of 10, 9, 8, 7... ,2, 1
    - sumo deadlift (I suck at those) @155
    - push press (from the ground) @65
    - overhead squat (from ground too) @65 - basically had to set down the bar between PP and OHS anyway, since the grip is quite different.

It took me 19:20 (on a 20 min time cap). and then I had a hard time bringing the 45s back to the rack. Whoops? >_>
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    2days in a row? What is this sorcery!

NICE. i on the other hand feel like i'm standing with half my feet over the lip of that 'back downhill to square one' slope. i did squats, but i really have to do something about that side-travel and the left valgus as i come out of the hole. i was ashamed to be seen looking like i thought that was legitimate form for the weight.

so, yeah. 95/100/ x 5. and then only one or maybe two reps beyond that because it's obvious i haven't earned my 105 license yet. top front squat sets were 2x3@85 and after that i just unracked the heavier bars and did holds.

• amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Combining two days into one again since I had a car breakdown in the middle of a heatwave last week, meaning I missed a day.

Bench press: 10/10/10/ @ 62
    OHP 5/5/5 @ 57/67/72
    Squats 3/3/3+(4) @ 122/147/162
    Deadlifts 6/6/6 @ 122

After deadlifts, I was resting for a few before picking my daughter up from the gym daycare and heading home. Sam Elliot Gym Guy came over to say hello and asked if any of my friends knew how hard I worked and how strong I've gotten. He told me it was inspirational to see me coming in and working hard and gaining so much strength, and that he hoped my friends were proud of me. It was so sweet and nice of him, and totally non-creepy--just one gym goer respectfully complimenting another--that it completely made my day. :smiley:
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Sam Elliot gym guy? That sounds very nice. Not to mention the kudos.

Today was a trainer day. So not much stronglifts related, and I couldn't even tell ya the names of some of the things. But speaking of sorcery- I got TWO, REAL (unassisted), DIPS!!! And I call it sorcery, because I swear to god I couldn't even support myself for negatives last week. Today., pushed myself way harder for the entire workout, and yet still pulled off the magical dips.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    It was so sweet and nice of him, and totally non-creepy--just one gym goer respectfully complimenting another--that it completely made my day. :smiley:

this thread (i mean me, ahem) approves of sam elliot \o/ i so appreciate a person who's willing to express real respect. the cheap stuff is easy to throw around, so that not so much.

i did hypertrophy deadlifts at 120 pounds about an hour ago, all part of the cunning plan to bring my left leg up to speed, and now i just want to lie dowwwwwwwwwnnnnn.

but i can't. because now there's eating that needs to be done.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options

Day 7 of Sheiko

squat 2x8 @ 45, 1x5 @ 118, 1x4 @ 139(140), belt 2x3 @ 159(161), 4x2 @ 185(183) ()=program weights
    bench 1x8 @ 45, 1x5 @ 58, 1x4 @ 69, 2x3 @ 81, 6x3 @ 92
    db fly 5x10 @ 17.5
    push up 5x6
    squat 1x3 @ 108, 1x3 @ 129, 1x3 @ 151, belt 4x3 @ 172
    good morning 5x5 @ 115
  • LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Did my 10th SL 5x5 session. I've stalled on my squat unfortunately because I have no rack and I can't get 53 lbs over my head safely. So I'm stuck at 48. Still loving it and looking into racks. My other problem is low ceilings. My son is doing it too and he has to go outside for OHPs with bigger plates. I am not that far yet. I measured last week and saw some small changes. I'll measure again next week and can't wait. So many people said don't wait and start lifting. I'm glad I started it's always amazing how fast time goes by. You can sit there and do nothing, or use each day to improve. The time will still go by.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Doing OHP two days in a row blows.

OHP: 10/10/10 @ 55. Last 3 of the final set were push presses, I was just struggling.
    Bench press: 3/3/3+ (5) @ 67/77/82
    Lat pulldowns 8/8/8 @ 75
    Hanging leg raises with a pause at the top: 10/10/10
    Pushups on the knees using the grippy things (I don't know what they're called) to keep the wrists straight: 10/10/10

My shoulders, pecs, and upper lats are feeling it today, and I think they'll hate me a bit tomorrow. ETA: I had one of my regulars video my bench press after having read an article about flaring the elbows to keep them under the bar. Just watched it and dang, they look much easier than they felt! I am pretty pleased, other than a slight disparity in my stronger arm going up slightly ahead of my weaker one.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options

Day 8

deficit deadlift 1x5, 1x3 @ 135 (2x3 @ 133), 2x3 @ 159, 4x3 @ 175 (172) stood on a 45 plate
    bench 1x8 @ 45, 1x5 @ 58, 1x4 @ 69, 2x3 @ 79 (81), 3x2 @ 89 (92), 2x2 @ 98, 2x3 @ 89 (92)
    db fly 5x10 @ 17.5
    deadlift from box 1x4 @ 159, 2x4 @ 186, belt 2x3 @ 209 (212), 3x2 @ 239
    lung 5x5 @ 77

• MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Day 5. Made it up to 80lb squats. Barely.

Tweaked something in my shoulder on set 3 of my 40lb OHP and had to call my work out off :'( Not sure what I did, but it hurts to look left. Or to yawn. Or to pretty much do anything. Not a real bad pain, more like when you wake up after sleeping funny and have a crik in your neck for a day or 2.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Today felt like such a slog, I don't know what my problem is. I just had no energy and everything felt like a struggle. I'm debating taking another diet break for a week or two, since I'm also not losing weight and getting very frustrated.

Deadlifts 3/3/3+ (6) @ 120/135/150
    Squats 10/10/10 @ 110
    Seated KB ab twists w/ 20 lb bell 10 R/L x3
    Side planks 35 sec per side
    KB swings with 30 lb bell 12/12/15

Still walked to/from the gym with stroller. Pushing 45 lb of kid and stroller up and down hills has to count for something, right?
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Deloaded bench to 85lbs - 3x5

I was soooo frustrated with my squats...I was finally going to get 3x5 with 135lbs, but I had to squat in the fixed rack (the safety bars are a couple inches too high for me, but I can usually compensate my depth and still hit parallel.) --- on my last rep of my last set....the bar hit the safeties and I couldn't recover (ggggrrrrrr) --- so 5/5/4, by I know I would have gotten that last rep!

Row - 110lbs - 3/4/3

Hip thrusts - 240lbs 3x5

Cable pull throughs - 3x10

• hanlonsk
    Options
    It's been a strange week.... to hit the high points-
    squats 5x5@95 happened, and went prettier, and smoother, and easier than last week's 90.
    Bench press got roll of shamed @95... on the last damned rep, of the last damn set, and wasn't pretty. My head wasn't in it, and there were strange people and loud distractions going on to add to it.
    Deadlift @115 - if I can figure out how, I have a form check video I will post in the spot for those. Video doesn't LOOK as goofy as my form FELT.... but it still seems off, just can't quite figure out where.

but I will take the win with squats and dips and call it a wrap on the week.
  • hanlonsk
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's been a strange week.... to hit the high points-
    squats 5x5@95 happened, and went prettier, and smoother, and easier than last week's 90.
    Bench press got roll of shamed @95... on the last damned rep, of the last damn set, and wasn't pretty. My head wasn't in it, and there were strange people and loud distractions going on to add to it.
    Deadlift @115 - if I can figure out how, I have a form check video I will post in the spot for those. Video doesn't LOOK as goofy as my form FELT.... but it still seems off, just can't quite figure out where.

but I will take the win with squats and dips and call it a wrap on the week.

ETA: ok not smart enough to figure out how to post a video in the video spot... help?
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    ETA: ok not smart enough to figure out how to post a video in the video spot... help?

i wish i knew, but when you do get it up (heh), drop a note here so people will remember to look way up in the stickies section.

i had a massage kid work on my left shoulder on tuesday, and it sort-of helped but not enough. so i guess sigh, eventually i'll cough up and go see the physio guy who was helpful last time. i'm just frustrated in the meantime because i feel like i've looked 'everywhere' and not found a solution for it.

massage kid did find an absolute lump of angry in my teres muscles though. and during assessment he could hardly contain his excitement about my 'excellent posture' and 'great range of motion', so there is that. feel can't do anything, but apparently i'm doing it pretty well :tongue:

• klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk I'm always surprised when I watch the video of a set that felt either really slow or funky in some way....never looks as bad as it felt while I was doing it.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »
    @hanlonsk I'm always surprised when I watch the video of a set that felt either really slow or funky in some way....never looks as bad as it felt while I was doing it.

I just had this feeling watching myself doing bench presses that felt hard but look easy on video. Better than thinking you're nailing it and finding out otherwise!

Upper body day
    OHP 3/3/3+ (4) @ 62/72/77. Last two were a bit push pressy, but I still got it up there!
    Bench press 10/10/10 @ 67
    Lat pulldowns 6/6/6 @ 85
    Assisted pullups 4/4/4 @ 65 CW
    Back extensions with 12 lb KB 12/12/12
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    was in the wars for trainer time, so basically got nothing done. refused to bench because funky shoulder, failed on squats because i pinched something ischio-trochanterish getting out of my car [SHEESH], and all i wanted to do was stuff that made direct calls to my left p.c. muscles and/or to my back.

so i did one-legged step-ups onto a chair, and sealed a deal with mr t that i ain't gonna bench press no more no more, ain't gonna do bench press no more. high five.

what i am going to do instead is rows \o/ that's yeah-so to people who are doing sl, but in my world they got relegated to 'accessory' status a long time ago. so i'm seriously excited and happy about this. mentioned it to him half-flippantly as a 'let's do this for the rest of the year and see what happens' and he is 100% all about it. so. i am officially done with benching, and i will officially as of pretty-soon going to be doing rows with an actual rep scheme and an overload plan and the whole bit.

i might maybe could-be slide pushups into the deck at some point, if i feel like it. but i'm not going to bench for a while. as a lift, if you ask me it basically sucks and it's too destructive.

• krokador
    Options
    Weee! I actually slept more than 6 hours! And later than 7 on a weekend morning! Mark your calendars it's gotta be the start of the apocalypse! It feels so good to not be super zombie me!

Oh, well i,ll also report yesterday,s workout, although I pretty much did it in a daze.

Power snatches. EMOTM x3 of double @ 75... I think? Maybe it was 80? And then 5 minutes of singles from... I think my top one was 90? It,s written in my notebook but I can,t be bothered to check

Then squats & assisted ring dips 127.5x5, 145x2x3, 155x2, 160x2. They were tough. but given it took like 2 months to get through 4 weeks of training and I kept to my percentages, I'll take the win. I'm redoing this phase anyway, lol.

The conditioning part was a 20/15/10 for time of assisted ring pull-ups (it's awkward, but was interestingly good at firing muscles I'm not used to! Liked it!), pike push-ups and box jumps dumbbell goblet explosive step ups (the leg that,s not on the bench/box shoots up into a high knee on the way up) (total reps). And it took almost 20 minutes. This is what definitely cemented the fact that I have to redo phase 1. My bodyweight strength/endurance is just... Yeah.

Today I had clean pulls, 105x5, 115x5, 125x2x3

Then OHP 72.5x5, 75x3, 77.5x3, 80x34! (I just felt so strong I had to do another rep! Haha. Wee!)
    superset with assisted bar pull-ups (submax reps). I think I got 6/6/6/7? I don,t know what I was doing differently today, though, but I could feel all the little parts of my lats and shoulder girdle engaging on all the reps, and it felt really... good? Like, I was doing this right? It made me very happy.

Finished off with 60/20 intervals, 4 rounds total of
    - broad jumps (target of 5ft or more) -- this one said box jumps. Again. But I'm starting to hate those and doing them for an amrap is just a shin injury waiting to happen.
    : 9/10/10/9
    - kb snatch @35 lbs, did 15 left on the first minute, 15 right, then 7/7 and 8/8 trading off at 30s because arm was just shot
    - front rack walking lunges @35lbs bar. 8/7/7/6 reps per leg. Ow.
    i might maybe could-be slide pushups into the deck at some point, if i feel like it. but i'm not going to bench for a while. as a lift, if you ask me it basically sucks and it's too destructive.

Program I'm on has no bench press whatsoever. it really isn,t a necessary lift, so meh, not a big loss IMO (you weren't going to compete in powerlifting, right?) I'm starting to really enjoy progressing on the OHP, so perhaps you can find your groove on those and still get the shoulder/chest gains! ;) And yes, rows are important!

hanlonsk wrote: »

I usually upload to my youtube as an unlisted video then link that in here. MFP transforms youtube links into embeded players so it takes care of the rest for ya ;)