Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,997 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo I commented in the running thread. Sounds like ocular migraines to me too. So sorry that happened to you. They are very disconcerting, especially the first time when you have no idea what is going on.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Thanks @quilteryoyo. It's been a few hrs now and I feel completely fine. Now I know eh!

And next time ill stop the car
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Avidkeo I went to a neurologist who diagnosed mine. He told me to take a full strength aspirin every day. I have been doing that for years and it has helped greatly. Every once in a while, I got the headache too, but usually it's just ocular. Maybe ask your doctor about the aspirin. I wouldn't do it without his/her approval. My cardiologist says I should take it on a full stomach, which I had never heard before.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo @Avidkeo I haven't heard of ocular migraines. I get something similar and the aura (visual disturbance) is the bubble or a bunch of wavy lines. Then I may or may not have head pain, I've learned to take the abortive migraine med ASAP and keep one in the car. I usually forget names during a migraine so I've learned to run through the names of people I know to identify the progress of one. Only once I couldn't remember dd's name and I was stuck on a word "analgesic". I couldn't remember what it meant but it was stuck in my head. LOL! I remember 24 years later slurring out the word trying to remember it and enjoyed the way it sounded. I always feel a little fragile after one for a few days. @Avidkeo Hope they don't get worse or become a thing for you. My triggers are food, stress (DH has learned not to argue past a certain point because I will get one- hey! he HAS learned something despite the half a muffin on the floor for Cori), heat, hormonal swings, and people-the over interaction, even if I enjoy it, I'll get one. If you get the headache a cool compress may help.

Weight
    I dare say that I am 1.8 pounds from do something! yay!!!!! I want to attribute that to sleeping more and less pain not driving me to snack and eat terrible. I had veggies all day yesterday, baked mushrooms with cheese, asparagus, potato, avocado and salsa with too many triscuits. I plan on making more mushrooms today.

Cori & Bear
    I bought Cori a new squeaky toy (petco doordash-I love being catered too!). He loves it so much that he won't share it with Bear and even growled at him when he tried to investigate it. Cori keeps it hidden in the cat tunnel so safe keeping. So funny. Bear is a bit frumpy over being treated this way, but I gave him extra snuggles and made a fuss over him a few times since. Now I know to get 2 new toys.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I'll definitely mention it to the Dr when I see her next. Hopefully it's just a one off... Though I think i had one about a year ago. I was walking with my daughter around the block, and remembered coming over funny with weird vision. I remember laying in the grass and managing to drag myself home where I lay in bed for about half an hour, before coming right.

I felt completely normal by the time I went home from work and managed to play our Wednesday night netball game, which we won!

Today I'm going out of town for work again. Last time for probably a couple of months unless something dramatic changes. I'm planning on Chinese food again. The dim sum were so good, and they always give me enough for lunch as well!
  • swenson19d
    Options
    An honorable mention in the paper for helping out with the COVID vaccination clinic. I left before the picture. OUr class in on the right. You can see all the young women from Nepal, they are lovey and so kind.
    Of course now I regret not just taking some tylenol and staying a bit longer since I missed the photo.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    swenson19d wrote: »
    An honorable mention in the paper for helping out with the COVID vaccination clinic. I left before the picture. OUr class in on the right. You can see all the young women from Nepal, they are lovey and so kind.
    Of course now I regret not just taking some tylenol and staying a bit longer since I missed the photo.

Hey, they quoted you though!
  • swenson19d
    Options
    swenson19d wrote: »

Hey, they quoted you though!

Here's the one from the news guy.
    wy55i1ve3qia.png
    yes... I'm still stalling on stuff, I need to get the violin out.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d Yeah for the weight drop! Your Cori and Bear stories are so funny.

@Avidkeo Congratulations on winning the netball game! Hopefully your migraines will be few and far between. Nice that you made the paper.

Today did not go as planned. It was okay, just my plans changed. I told the daycare director I would work from 11- 3 last night. This morning, I get a text from my nephew that he is coming up today with his little boy to spend the day at his parents house. I wanted to see them, but knew it wouldn't be for long. I had gotten up a little early so I could get a walk and a shower in before I left for work. I went ahead and did a one mile walk, to keep my streak going, did things that had to be done, and then left to get mom and go to my brother's house. I was able to visit for about 30 minutes before I had to leave. That was nice, but I didn't get the things done that I had planned to do before work.

My neighbor, the one that was my designated person in the hospital, wanted us to mow mom's lawn after work. It looked like rain, but we eventually decided to go ahead and try to do it. We had some issues with her riding lawn mower (think the battery is dead), since this is the first time mowing this year. Another neighbor, that mows for a living, came down to help out. He wound up using his big mower, the other neighbor weed eat, and I edged with the push mower and finished with weed eating because that mower kept dying too. Anyway, it started sprinkling rain about the time we started. We got damp, but not soaked, and did get it done! It took about 40 minutes total for all 3 of us. Nice to have great neighbor's. But, I didn't get home for good until 7pm.

I had cereal with blueberries for dinner. But, they bought BBQ sandwiches for the teachers at work, so I had that and a small bag of chips at lunch. It was really good. I think I am under calories a little today, but it's hard to tell when you can't measure and guess at the calorie count.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    @avidkeo - I responded in the running thread too. Like @swenson19d I get the headache pain and also feel fragile (such a great description of it) for about a day afterwards. I also take immediate action when it starts so I can ward it off sometimes. I have never forgotten names or slurred words but then I usually curl up in bed in a very dark room and try not to think about anything. Mine were diagnosed when I was in college and ended up in the emergency room.
    @swenson19d - definitely should always buy 2 toys. Then they can fight over whose is whose! I am surprised Beary hasn't snuck into the tunnel to steal it or at least check it out.
    Love the article and video! Congratulations! Also congratulations on the weight loss too!
    @quilteryoyo - some days or even some weeks don't go as planned and it is ok, those things you didn't get to can be done later. You have to take the time to enjoy your family when you can, especially those little ones who won't be little for very long.

Our housekeeper came today so we planned to go for a long drive, go to wine country, enjoy the area and then drive all the way around to the coast and back home via the coast route. Since we were taking Hobbes with us I took him for a short little walk/run around our neighborhood ti tire him out a bit - ended up with a bit over 2 miles and ran quite a bit of it. Hamstring didn't hurt while we were out but started later when we were in the car. I hadn't had time for the heating pad so I turned on the seat heater, something we rarely use here but it worked well. Going out early this morning was lovely, although it was cold for me at 42F. It reminded me of why I always loved going out early. New plan is to get up and out before eating or reading emails, etc.. We'll see how it goes... if I can get to bed early enough, often enough, it will become a habit.
    Had a ham and swiss panini for lunch with a few potato chips, something I rarely if ever would eat and it was delicious. We had leftovers for dinner, my half salad left over from lunch yesterday and the end of the turkey chili. Not a great day but not terrible either.
    We took some pictures of Hobbes 'wine tasting' for Hilde... Between this picture and the next, Hobbes decided to jump from the ground onto the table 😳 knocking my sunglasses off and I grabbed him so he wouldn't knock the wine glasses off the table (note it is a very sturdy stone table). He was quite pleased with being in my lap afterwards... I have lots of other in between pictures because rather than helping me DH just continued to take pictures... Hobbes has never done anything like this before, well at least not since he was a puppy. I guess he hasn't been out enough in the last few months!
    n6fm1i2xhh6x.png
    dgta21xqikuk.png
    View from one of the vineyards.
    7d2t9opvrror.png
    8aktmgfwlftz.png
    All the excitement is over, time for a nap
    nkc307nwh925.png
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Ate too much food for a non-run day, haven’t done that before and I feel kinda gross. Basically I ate the same as if I had run, but didn’t run. We had storms all day plus got the vaccine yesterday so planned a rest day anyway. I’m technically under calories since I banked some for today but bleh, reminded me of what I ate like in the olden days, with my stomach feeling stretched out.

Anyway I think my arm is 90% normal now, hurt pretty bad at the beginning of the day. Had no energy at all, could have spent the day in bed, plus a little foggy feeling, but no serious symptoms from the shot. I’m hoping it doesn’t provoke a lupus flare, I usually get one a few days after the flu vaccine. Reading about the other people on the running thread who got the shot and then ran as normal, well y’all are more hardcore than I am! I’m planning on running tomorrow, but today was not happening.

I was reading an article that said 80% of vaccine appointments in West TN are going unused, which matches my experience. We didn’t have any wait, in fact hordes of volunteers were standing around waiting on us with nothing to do, and we could pick from several appointments on the same day. I don’t understand, since when we tried to get an appointment a week ago it was almost impossible. What changed? It’s kind of alarming, I feel like I’m surrounded by people who don’t have the same view of reality that I do, and I wish they would take steps to stop the virus. BTW I didn’t need to worry about whether diabetes was on the list of approved conditions because they didn’t ask, didn’t check ID, with so few people trying to get shots they would give it away if they could.

@shanaber I love the pics of Hobbes. He looks so delighted with being a lap dog.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber I agree. One of my resolutions priorities for this year is family and friends relationships. It sort of irritated me because I had asked him to let me know when he was coming so I wouldn't schedule work and would get to spend a lot of time with them. When I don't find out until an hour before and I had already said I'd work...... But, it was really nice to see them for the time that I did. AND they were at mom's when I got home, so got to spend a little more time with them then. Glad you had a nice trip to the wine county and that Hobbes is all better. Hilarious about him jumping on the table.

@rheddmobile I know several people who refuse to get the shot. I'm like you. I just don't understand it. Glad you didn't have any major side affects. It's sad that so many shots are being wasted. Maybe they should just open it up to anyone down there.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Oof, I wouldn't say I fell off the bandwagon the last week, but I am definitely holding onto the bumper for dear life! LOL

I think I just got tired/burned out and as the move is ramping up, thinking about food is annoying. Hasn't stopped me but, def just eat what is in front of me. I haven't gotten on the scale b/c I am scared but might try to get back on the bandwagon again. I even only ran 1/2 my miles last week.

Trying to on-ramp again this week, been slow going but at least I am thinking bout it again. I am trying to get things scheduled and lined up. It is very hard for me to work on other peoples timelines, I am of the personality of it is my way or the highway! LOL. It doesn't help that I am working with short time lines...and people are teleworking still.

DH and I had a bit of a tiff this week on the move so that is adding to the stress. I told him I felt like he was dragging his feet on the making decisions on what he wants to do, he hasn't even told anyone at work I am leaving. He really likes routines and comfort, and he doesn't want to move. I told him I felt a bit hurt that he was not making any efforts to look for a job (his criteria to move) even after I handed him the list of contracts and he just has to contact them. IDK what he will do, he may just chose to live up here by himself. I really want to make a solid go at living on the ranch and would love some help getting it ready. I am also running on faith, but I also have committed to my actions.

It is rainy today so I made comfort food choices for breakfast but have a 4 mile run planned this afternoon.

• Avidkeo
    Options
    Morning all.

@shanaber love the pics of Hobbes! Just gorgeous!

@CMorning99 we've all been there. Hugs.

@quilteryoyo wow busy! I'm amazed you managed to get it all done.

I've spent the night out of town. Had some icecream last night, was so good. I woke way early so will go for a run soon, its still dark. 8k planned today.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

I have been out of pocket dealing with work stuff and my old pup....she is coughing and fainting a lot.....the vet thought possibly Congestive heart failure but now not sure. Her trachea is collapsing.... she is almost 16 so I am not keen on doing a lot of cardiologist testing....she seems ok for most of the day then does that. It's so hard.

Haven't had a chance to read through the past week in detail but I did a speed read. You all have such good attitudes in the face of hard stuff! Love the positivity.

@Avidkeo I suffer from Ocular Migraines. I have not had one in hears but just did last week. I describe as a like a pulsating water spot on my eye that moves across my eye. It seems to get triggered with really bright lights....like when a car is reflecting the sun directly into my vision from the rear windshield. I usually take an excedrine migraine or aspirin and close my eyes for 10 min and its gone. I don't get the actual migraine thank god but I feel tired after.

I was able to score a vaccine last Friday by chance. Here in TX its truly a free for all. And now that we are wide open, no restrictions, etc I felt so unsafe. I found J&J vaccines at a Walmart about 3 hours away so yes....we booked and drove. Husband just did is work calls the whole way. The best part, my first friend in TX lives in San Angelo where we were heading and she out of the blue, texted me. It was serendipity.....so fun and we had lunch with her. It's like she sensed we were heading her way.

I am back to tracking pretty regularly to track my macros. It's so time consuming. My weight is holding so that is good but I am eating more protein to support strength training. And of course I only crave carbs....which I get but just have to pick and choose. On longer ride days, I add back more carbs for the fuel. The worst is how many carbs I need to add for cocktails.....really makes you think about whether you'd rather have a vodka soda or an ice-cream.

Got some good news about my son....he applied to MBA programs in TX and was accepted into Rice with a full tuition fellowship. He was worried about the debt. So that is a great opportunity if he chooses it. The best part for me, both kids could end up in Houston about 2 miles apart. Makes for easy visits. Julia def is going to Med School down there.

Happy Friday y'all!

67dlsiv8mmqj.jpg

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Oh Hobbes, he does seem quite proud of himself! I love him!

Y'all. I am on the struggle bus. It's been a week. Or two. UGH.

Last week my shoulder got worse. I lost a ton of range of motion and my wrist started to hurt, which it hasn't since I gave up gluten so I called mayo to speak with the triage nurse. They ended up just making me an appointment for Monday. I had bloodwork to check my autoimmune response and an x-ray. Everything was good (minor arthritis in shoulder) so I was referred for PT for possible rotator cuff tear or strain.

I had my PT appointment yesterday. Lots of questions, measurements, some massage & stretching. PT thinks its actually the joint where the collarbone and shoulder meet, not the rotator cuff. I've got appointments set up for the next 2 weeks on Tues/Thurs and was sent home with "homework"

I weighed in this morning. I forgot to do it before drinking anything so I'd already had coffee and some water (but also peed a lot LOL). I am thinking about trying to weigh every day. I also dusted off the food scale. I'm going to stop buying cookies and candy (although I have a ton at home still but will work on better rationing).

I know what I need to do. I just need to do it. Every day. Every meal.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    @bearly63 Our kitty has the collapsing trachea, his cartilage is weak and he will just start gagging and coughing. We got him a very expensive inhaler and it reduces the coughing greatly, probably by just reducing the need to cough and thus preventing the trachea to collapse.

@RunsOnEspresso Shoulders are so annoying! Mine started hurting after I stretched one day and has hurt for a month. Last time I pulled something, it took 3 months for it sort itself out.

Today was going to BE THE DAY I buckled down again...and then I somehow had rice crispy treats and popcorn for breakfast and then ate my lunch at 10am.

I have been soooo sleepy again. Not the bone numbing exhaustion, but sleepy. I blame a lot of it on the fact I work in a basement and never see daylight...and I am really bad about getting up from my desk...I am pretty much a mushroom LOL. I skipped my run to sit on the couch and watch youtube videos and it was also raining all day yesterday.

So today I have to make up my 4 mile run, will have coffee if I have to to get my butt out the door. Working on award packages all day for the kiddos. I had one of them write himself a recommendation letter for an assignment he wants, this kid has a HUGE ego and he sent me the drag queen of all letters...flamboyant, inflated, fluffy, and 50% complete bullsh!t LOL.

I am going to weigh in on Tuesday so I better be good. I would like to be down 5lbs by the time I leave in 6 weeks..well crap..now barely 5 LOL
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 So sorry things are so rough for you right now. Hang on to that bumper. You'll be able to swing yourself back up on the wagon soon. It's hard to worry about food when you have so many other things occupying your mind. We're here for you!

@bearly63 Glad you were able to get the J&J vaccine. Congratulations to your son! Tracking your calories and macros can be time consuming, but it's probably worth it in the long run. So sorry about your dog. That would be so hard. I hope you got your run in today and are feeling better mentally. Funny about the guy's letter. I always hated it when my bosses asked me to write my own recommendation. I was not good at "bragging" and taking credit.

@RunsOnEspresso So sorry about your struggle and shoulder/arm. I'm glad you got to see the PT. I hope that will help you get your range of motion back and the pain will subside. Hang in there with the food. You've got this.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    My neighbor's mom has been having some heart issues and having trouble getting anyone to do anything for her. Today, she found out that her heart ejection is only 10 and this doctor she is seeing says she needs a heart transplant. Her heart is too weak to withstand surgery. This all started with a really bad heart valve that was brought on by chemo when she had leukemia years ago. Anyway her mom is in the hospital in Alabama. They are going down there tonight. This is the neighbor with the puppies. So, I am going to go down 3 times a day over the weekend to let the mom out and feed her. Tony is planning to come home on Sunday night, so will only need help with the dog mid-day. It's so sad. Her mom is a sweet lady.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    @bearly63 - congratulations to your son! Rice was one of the schools I wanted to go to when I was looking at colleges. Of course it was out of range financially for me as an out of state student though.
    So sorry about your pup - it is so tough when they aren't feeling well and they can't tell you what/how they feel.
    Also so happy you were able to score the vaccinations!
    @CMorning99 - hang in there! You will get through this and be off to your next adventure. Just try to find ways to reduce your stress as much as possible.
    @RunsOnEspresso - hope the PT helps with your shoulder! Not sure how old you are but my ortho mentioned that a lot of the tendon and soft tissue issues we have can be related to the reduction of estrogen as we age (peri-menopause, etc...).
    @quilteryoyo - glad you are able to help and look after mom and pups! So sad about your neighbor's mom though.

I finally got my PT scheduled too with my first appointment next Thursday, it was the first appointment they had available which surprised me. It has always been a busy facility but I would have thought right now it wouldn't be quite so busy.

This must be the time for good news for our kids. Had a call today with our daughter to help her with an email response negotiating a position at the healthcare facility she has been contracted with. She really wants to work there but it also helps that she also has an offer from the State of WA Public Health dept for a 14 month contract. It gives her a bit of leverage to negotiate the salary, schedule and clinical role (she wants pediatrics). It's a split position so she would be working 50% with the IT folks on the Health Records system and interfacing with the doctors for training and implementing their requirements. The other 50% she would be seeing patients in the clinics. It is difficult because it is two different hiring organizations.

I have been baking bread again but eating well and my weight has finally dropped to the lowest it has been in months, maybe over a year. I also had a NSV with some workout pants that I bought years ago and have been tight, not fit well and honestly are a bit loose.

I did a hard strength workout yesterday and got a run/walk in today. I am sore all over and tired! Monday is DH's birthday and we are celebrating on Sunday. He is BBQing steaks and I am baking a tuxedo cake. Should be interesting as it is a bit of a complex recipe and I have not made it before.