Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    @shanaber My boss is great, we have a fun working relationship and think alike. I am still not sure what I am doing for the new job and when I asked I was told they are "shuffling" people around. I am fine with whatever. I am going to have to hit the ground running when I get there between getting ready for mom's memorial the last 2 weeks of may and the trial looming.

My PT always blames glutes, lower back, and upper legs for knee pain. He says that we sit all day and the glutes are disengaged all day. I really work on doing activation exercises several times a day to keep from becoming quad dominant and pulling the kneecap out of whack.

@quilteryoyo Yeah, just like the Starbucks coffee...triple shot espresso.

Yesterday was a much needed rest day, I even took a sleep aid and I feel a lot better today. Trying to make adult decision on food today and so far on track. Not tracking cals, but not gorging. I got on the scale and it has crept up another .3lbs...dangerous now 2 weeks in a row. Afternoon we have our 5K color run, I think more than anything it will be fun to be in that energy again, even though I am not sure a lot of running will happen LOL.

Still waiting on a funding line to move. I think we might have a good lead on a job for DH at the new base. I don't think it is what he wants, but there is time to move around. I am sure it is a solid pay cut but a livable wage. I am going to pitch to him tonight that if he isn't quite ready to leave yet to get an Air BnB for a month or 2 vs signing a lease. That would make things so much less stressful and then we wouldn't have to move furniture for him either. I really hope he goes a long with it.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    The nurse didn't call so I called and talked to the receptionist. She said she would get in touch with the nurse, who was helping a different doctor today, and have her call me back. She did. Yeah! Anyway, she looked at the Echo results and said there was nothing there that they would be concerned about or want to follow up on. She does agree that the HR and BP needs to be addressed, even though, as you all have said, it is within the "normal" range, so nothing of an emergency type intervention needed. She was going to talk to the doctor and either call me back today (didn't happen) or Monday. So, it will be Monday before I know what they want to do. I'll just keep watching it so I can give them more information, if needed.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Great news @quilteryoyo . My BP has gone from 110/60 to just under130/80 this last year. I am just ignoring it for now, I know it's diet and no running... and that I've gained weight. yuck. Maybe it'll spur me into trying to make changes.

I was cleared to enroll for next semester today. ugh... I cannot even think of next semester right now, LOL!

Hair cut share because I didn't think it could look normal at this length. I can never get it to lay this flat. DD had about 4 inches cut off and it is just below armpit length. I don't know how she does it. Mine is "crazy" at this length.
    I look so old, but I'm getting use to it... another reason to eat better and find some exercise.
    eiphcbwxaaqm.png
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @swenson19 love the haircut!

@quilteryoyo good news about the ecg, hope your HR and BP settles over the weekend.

Was thinking about my weight, I had expected it to be lower by now based on usual drops. But then I've been getting some spotting the last few days, meaning my period is trying to happen. Which always retains a bit of water for a few days then has a big drop. So hopefully by Monday I might have a woosh? Lol. Stop obsessing Kim, it's going down. And the trend is dropping. I keep comparing to this time last year, but I need to stop that too because last year I stopped progress in April, and that's not happening this year.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @Avidkeo Thanks. Keep on track and remember even if your weight isn't moving you are still getting stronger.

I need to figure out an easy go to snack/meal that is a better choice. I may have time to walk today to the gate and back, just 0.25 of a mile. I am hoping that I can push through and gain some strength and perhaps that will help in the long term as a pain intervention. I noticed the weakness the doc was referring too, I think. If I am going to lay down on the couch, I can't easily lift my right leg on to it. It's moving the leg inward and up to the couch. I will have to investigate which muscles that activates and see if I can work on them. Or I could see the PT this summer.

It's nice out today and I am missing being a runner or even a walker. Bruddah Bear and Cori are sure enjoying it. DH is working on enclosing the porch and I suggested moving the TM out there from the garage, perhaps I can get some weights too and prompt a lifestyle change. IDK I need to do something.

DH went for tacos yesterday at lunch, was gone 2 hours and returned with no tacos. I inquired after his work day was done and he said he bought a gun instead. I suspected his offer for taco was a distraction ploy. He handed me the gun and wanted me to feel how light it was, I declined. Swear I'd put it to my head without thought right now... I don't think he understands how fragile I still am. I did guilt him in to fajitas from the Mexican restaurant though. Don't worry, the guns are locked up and I have no plans or a key. It's just traumatic to have the reminder of Alex thrust in my face like that. He should know that.

Food changes and a walk today.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d Glad you were cleared for next semester, even if you aren't ready yet. Love the haircut. I can't imagine how much physical pain you are in. I hope the walk was okay. Sometimes people just don't think about how what they are doing can affect others. Hugs.

@Avidkeo You are doing great weight wise. Hope you have a woosh over the weekend.

• Avidkeo
    Options
    @swenson19 sometimes people just don't think. The connection between Alex and the gun probably isn't in your husbands mind, or to him it's just a gun, where you see it differently. That said my culture to guns in general is so appalled by then I'd think DH had lost his mind if he bought one home! But that's NZ. Hugs. It's not easy having reminders like that.

Well i had that woosh I was expecting, down 700g (1.5lb) overnight. Yay. Sunday is my lazy day. Woke to no power, not sure what's going on but not worried. I'm sure it will come on again soon. The kids are playing, I'm relaxing. It's a good morning!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Yeah for the woosh @Avidkeo ! And for the relaxing day.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - I am glad you finally got to speak to someone at the cardiologists office. Hopefully they will just want you to keep monitoring yourself or have you wear a monitor for a few days to see what is going one.
    @swenson19d - your haircut is great and you definitely don't look old!
    I hope you were able to get outside and enjoy some of the nice weather!
    Guns - I was raised with them, not against them other than the semi-automatic/automatic one. I am actually a very good shot but we have no guns and see no reason to have one at home. I am sure like @avidkeo said that your dh didn't even think of the connection. He probably should have but it likely never occurred to him.
    @avidkeo - yay for 1.5 lbs gone! I think I found it. I was up yesterday when I weighed myself but today I have been running to the bathroom - I am guessing too many carbs and the associated water retention.

I have been doing my PT exercises plus some core work and boy was I sore yesterday and this morning. Thought I would go for a run and ended up walking yesterday. Not sure if it was from what I was doing or hangover from the PT. I am honestly pretty shocked at how hard these are. There are only 4 exercises and you do just 3x30secs on each leg...Yikes the clamshells are the worst and I am so inflexible - therein may be the root all of my problems (knee, hamstring, whatever). She also gave me a different Piriformis stretch that is super affective. I have always done the figure 4 stretch and this one you pull your knee towards the opposite shoulder rather than pushing it away. Also it is hot here today, over 80F so I will hopefully get Hobbes out for just a short walk later if it cools down a bit. Maybe after dinner.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Thanks. I hope the PT helps in the long run. Sore muscles make it hard to run. You are doing great, listening to your body. I hope Hobbes is all better - from being sick and the dog attack.

I am back under 140 pounds this morning, barely. I've been hovering between 140 and 142 for a few weeks. I'm very glad to see it back down, even if just a little.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @swenson19d - your haircut is great and you definitely don't look old!

That's because I fiddled with the angle until it hid the turkey neck LOL! Sounds like your PT found some muscle imbalance! that's great! I am sure your muscles will strengthen quickly and you'll notice a difference.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Morning all. Sunday snacking got to me yesterday. Oh well. Wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Remember when I said I wasn't going out of town again for work. Well had a call from my boss last night, one of the workers there can't work today, could I go? It's only a day trip fortunately, though I'm tempted to take a change of clothes just on case... Lunch is already prepared so no dramas there at least.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I had the weirdest thing happen to me last night. Out of the blue, my right shoulder blade (actually the area underneath my shoulder blade) started hurting when I moved my arm. I tried sitting against the heating pad until I went to bed. When I laid on my back the pain went from my back all the way through my body to the front, if that makes sense. Then, it hurt when I moved my left arm up too. I could lay on my left side and it felt okay, but I can't stay on that side. The good thing was that, once I got in a position, if I stayed still, it quit hurting. So, I was able to get some sleep. This morning. Nothing. It's fine. No pain no matter what I do. No soreness. I'm really glad it's okay, but it was so odd.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    I had the weirdest thing happen to me last night. Out of the blue, my right shoulder blade (actually the area underneath my shoulder blade) started hurting when I moved my arm. I tried sitting against the heating pad until I went to bed. When I laid on my back the pain went from my back all the way through my body to the front, if that makes sense. Then, it hurt when I moved my left arm up too. I could lay on my left side and it felt okay, but I can't stay on that side. The good thing was that, once I got in a position, if I stayed still, it quit hurting. So, I was able to get some sleep. This morning. Nothing. It's fine. No pain no matter what I do. No soreness. I'm really glad it's okay, but it was so odd.

Have you heard back from your cardiologist? Transient chest/back pain would be a bit concerning to me. Might phone them. Do you have a follow up anytime soon?
  • swenson19d
    Options
    I woke up in an anxious mood. I slept in until 10 with my snuggle bear and have class at 1030 via zoom, perhaps that's it. I feel like I have had too much caffeine and I've only has a sip of tea.

My diet has not improved.
    Dh bought burgers and tacos yesterday and I ate ice cream, least that was halo and not B&J. This has got to stop. I haven't walked either, but perhaps today on my way back from violin I can stop at the park for a very quick one. It's my running park, so that may offer a great motivation, I love that park.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - I agree with @swenson19d. Your post set off alarm bells in my head especially when put together with your higher than normal BP from the other day.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @rheddmobile - are you doing ok? I am worried about you with all the flooding news from Tennessee.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    swenson19d wrote: »

Have you heard back from your cardiologist? Transient chest/back pain would be a bit concerning to me. Might phone them. Do you have a follow up anytime soon?

This is my thought as well.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I have not heard from the cardiologist yet today. I wasn't associating the pain with anything cardiac related, since it really felt more muscular. I'll mention it to them when we talk. My next follow up isn't until July 6.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d I hope your mood got better. I hate it when I feel anxious for no particular reason.