Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    @CMorning99 Sorry you had a tough day. I hate it when things start out wrong. Just puts a cramp in the entire day. If you only started having problems with your knees after you started running in the Nike Pegasus 37s, that is probably the issue. Not everyone can use the same shoes. I tried a different model of Brooks last time and everything hurt so bad after 5 minutes, I had to quit. So, I stick with what I know works for me. I feel bad for those young airmen/women. They really are so immature. I hope they make the decisions that are the best for everyone in the long run. Hope things work out with the trailer too.

@swenson19d Yeah for getting the shot. Boo for being so tired afterwards and for being in trouble with school again. I don't understand why your cpr/bls wasn't accepted if you renewed it. Maybe I'm missing something. I hope you are feeling better. At least you don't have to worry about how a second shot is going to affect you.

@shanaber I'm so sorry that you aren't going to get to see your daughter and are so sad about it. I hope late May gets here quickly for you. Hopefully you can get out for a run tomorrow to test out the hamstring. Glad it is feeling good today. Hope you can find a nice place for your anniversary get away!

• swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @shanaber Yes HR. see how tired I was? It's hanging around 80 just finishing up an assignment and chatting with ya'll. I'll have some fluids and get to bed early. I slept about an hour with bear and cori until our dog had to bark at UPS or someone. Glad you are getting, uh active care with the PT, LOL! tell them to ease up sheesh. Hugs on not seeing dd. I get it. Maybe something will pan out sooner. ugh you should absolutely go to Hawaii when the quarantine lifts. C'mon, I'll meet you at the airport. Although with Hobbes I can understand not making that trip. Bear wouldn't do so well with me/us gone for any length of time anyway. I think the next time I go, I will just bury myself in the sand and lay there for hours until the sea laps me out LOL! or something bites me. Go to the Ritz. You only live once and it's just money. Go enjoy it because you can. or settle for something equally indulgent.

The BLS.
    I did it online and I think that is the issue. So I have to put on my adult under garments and do the in-person class. oh well.

I gave one of our instructors a gift
    dtkysogg21ps.png
    a coffee mug, chocolates and had the class sign a card. She got her PhD (DNP). It was well timed with me getting in trouble. She seemed to appreciate it. I was able to get some of the seniors due to graduate in May to sign it too.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Yesterday afternoon I was beat! I ended up just getting Burger King for dinner and sitting on the couch. I did do some paperwork stuff, forgot to register mom's mobile home and it was due yesterday so I just caught that. I think I found help to get the trailer to the repair shop this month and not have to try and cram it all into 3 weeks. Mom's friends are amazing :)

My feet/legs are feeling better today so it must be the shoes. I might give them a few more tries on short runs and see if I can break them in more. Not sure on the exercise plan today, not comitting to anything.

DH signed a 6 mo lease on a apt here so we we will need to move him in after the 13th. He hasn't been getting a lot of traction on getting folks to respond to his emails about jobs. 2 responded and said they would look, we haven't heard anything for a few days so I don't know if we are impatient or if this is normal. I have no idea how to get a job LOL. 2 others he emailed never even responded.

Nothing exciting today. The guys at work are full steam at running the shop without me, I just sit in the back and listen and redirect if needed. So proud of my crew. Maybe I could take a few days off :) I only have 12 duty days left but I have 100 days of leave (vacation)...yeah yeah, I know but usually I am on the bottom of the totem pole. Oh, I do need to write my evaluation for Sep...it is going to be tough since I am in transit for a couple months and then starting a new job.

Also going to give a solid college effort (might be some benders in there) on counting calories for the month of April...30 days! This AM, oatmeal.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    This covid vaccination is yucky. I have a +1.5 degree F temp, headache, neck stiffness, and chills. I hear it only lasts 48 hours so I have my fingers crossed.

@quilteryoyo Where are those cute little puppies? LOL!
  • CMorning99
    Options
    @swenson19d They are finally offering them to us and they only offer them on Fridays so you don't miss work LOL
  • swenson19d
    Options
    CMorning99 wrote: »
    @swenson19d They are finally offering them to us and they only offer them on Fridays so you don't miss work LOL

Supposedly if your over 60 you are less likely to have side effects. Fever apparently is rare, which mine is now up 3.3F from my normal average. I’m really glad I didn’t, er did get suspended from class today. I don’t think I’d have been happy about it and may have been dismissed anyhow. Pizza, zombie killing and a nap seem to be in order
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Hugs where needed guys.

I'm on call for the whole easter weekend. Nz basically shuts down for a couple of days, nothing but petrol stations and a few corner shops can open for Friday and Sunday. We also havdle a holiday on Monday. So it's a LONG weekend for us all. Of course hospitals are open, so I'm on call for 5 nights. This is usually my limit.

Last night I had 2 call outs, one at 7pm, the other at 1130pm which fortunately I was only there for an hour. So first night was good. I had a good sleep.

Food yesterday was not great. Our team leader had her last day. She had worked for the hospital for around 50 years so I think you can imagine what the lunch was like! I skipped dinner but munched on a few things.

Today I am fixing our spa which has been out of commission for 6 weeks. And generally enjoying a Friday without plans. The other kids on the street all appear to be home so the kids are out playing with them. We live in a cul-de-sac so it's very 1980s here with the kids in bikes, going house to house and just coming home when the street lights are on.

Oh and daylight saving end for us on Sunday. Will be nice to have some light in the morning!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 You have so much going on right now, I'm not sure I would worry too much about tracking calories. I would be mindful of what I am putting in my body, but if it's a Whopper, oh well. Once you get settled, you can worry about getting back on track. But, my moniker is quilteryoyo for a reason. Maybe I'm not the best person to listen to. LOL

@swenson19d Sorry you are having a reaction to the vaccine. Puppy pictures will come shortly.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    Puppy overload below, if you need a smile. They are getting so big and have started their little growls and barking. Too cute.
    jmuo5o35cvfk.jpg
    s5sjwdmcsb10.jpg
    7m4wegk7pe8o.jpg
    oup69kqfr1nu.jpg
    17bzi54mow1d.jpg
    e75okf88mrmh.jpg
    0myy811t9cix.jpg
    9mqdf26yp10u.jpg
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Puppy overload below, if you need a smile. They are getting so big and have started their little growls and barking. Too cute.
    jmuo5o35cvfk.jpg
    s5sjwdmcsb10.jpg
    7m4wegk7pe8o.jpg
    oup69kqfr1nu.jpg
    17bzi54mow1d.jpg
    e75okf88mrmh.jpg
    0myy811t9cix.jpg
    9mqdf26yp10u.jpg

Awwwwwww so cute! 😍😍😍
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d - I hope you feel better from the vaccine side affects. I don't remember who it was but someone on the challenge page had bad side affects that kept them in bed for a day or two.
    It is interesting that over 60 has less side affects. I had much more than dh who had just arm soreness and he is quite a bit older (over 70)
    I also love the gifts you put together for your instructor DNP. It is an awesome accomplishment.

@CMorning99 - I agree with @quilteryoyo. You have so much going on. I would focus on what you can control - getting a run in, eating good quality food whenever you can. Don't worry about calories at this point. Just do the best you can.

@quilteryoyo - those puppies! Oh my Gosh! They are adorable! I love them all but the one with the blue eyes (3rd from the bottom) has my heart. I showed them all to dh and he agreed it is good they are in TN and not So CA!

@avidkeo - I hope your on call goes well! We also live on one of those 80's cul-de-sacs. We moved here before our dd was born and raised her here to have that play experience. Unfortunately there weren't any other kids for her to play with. She did learn to ride her bike in the cul-de-sac.

I listened to a podcast today on intuitive eating. Essentially learning to eat what you need with joy and getting beyond all of our guilt and issues with food. I was on my 1st diet when I was about 9... but it was conflicting because my mom also made me sit at the table for hours if I didn't finish my dinner. I have never tried to eat intuitively but it scares the **it out of me. For the last 10 years maybe, I have logged everything I eat. I am not sure I could go all in and just eat intuitively.

I was also able to run today, really run without pain! I did walk some, it was SO hot - 90F! and very dry. I am also, with limited success trying to eat better/more.

Also we live just down the street from the latest shooting 😢. I have driven by the business building thousands of times and am just shocked and so sad.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have second shot appointments for Tuesday - planning to take at least one day off after, so we are running Monday and will probably try to get a walk in after our shots. @swenson19d I’ve heard that people who have already have Covid have basically a second shot level reaction to the first shot. Hope you feel better soon!

@shanaber So glad to hear your pain is better!

Easter will hopefully be our last socially distanced holiday. I would be okay with eating indoors with my mom after just the first shot, but my mom is pushing for us to eat outdoors. Which is fine, the weather should be perfect. I have this sneaking suspicion it’s because her housekeeper hasn’t been coming for months and she has let the housekeeping get away from her and doesn’t want me to see the inside of the house, though. Once we are fully vaccinated I need to get over there and deep clean for her, but I have this little problem - I don’t want to! Oh well!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Those blue eyes got me too. That's one of the little boys. Another has blue eyes, but I wasn't able to get a good picture of her. Too bad you don't live closer. I think they will be good dogs and probably make a great running buddy. As for intuitive eating, I used to tell people if I only ate when I was hungry, I'd be skinny as a rail. I think that is true still. I tend to eat because it is time to eat, or I'm stressed or bored, or a lot of other reasons. Hungry is probably at the bottom of my list of reasons I eat. That is why counting calories - or at least being aware of what I am putting in my body (I'm not a stickler at logging), is a must for me. Hugs about the shooting. It's so sad that people don't value life anymore. Glad you were able to run pain free!

@rheddmobile I snickered at your last line. I totally understand! Eating outdoors on Sunday should be really nice. Glad you are going to get to visit with your mom. I heard the same thing about the first shot. Mom and I didn't have any reaction, so we have our fingers crossed that they are correct and the 2nd one will be a piece of cake. @shanaber I also heard that older people have less reaction and the reason they gave was that their immune systems aren't as active as a younger person's is. Who knows. Oh, FYI, I found out that they are now recommending that you don't get a mammogram until 6 weeks after a vaccine because your lymph nodes can swell and show up as cancer on the image. Have any of you heard that one? Why aren't these things made public knowledge? Just like waiting 90 days after you have CoVID before getting a vaccine. It's recommended, but they don't ask at the vaccination sites and it isn't "out there" for people to know. We wouldn't have known had mom's doctor not called to ask about going to a clinic they had and it was too soon.

• CMorning99
    Options
    Good morning folks!

Thank you all for the advice on the calories, I think ya'll are right. Yesterday was a bust. They opened a new burger place on base (we have very few food choices and so a new place is exciting), I drove by it but then turned around and went back. It was good, not great, but the portions were huge and I was in a food coma all evening. Needless to say, calories were probably pretty suss yesterday LOL. No exercise either. I did get a few more pieces of paperwork done, I got a check from an ins company with both mom's and my name and it said it had be endorsed by both of us...meh enter HS tardy slip skills LOL. I didn't know if my bank would accept the check since her name is not on my account...but it seems they did. I also worked on my reselling business, I have a ton of inventory I got back from a company I used to consign with but then they changed there policies and are garbage. I am going to be sad to shut it down for a couple months while moving. I don't make a lot, but it is fun to find the treasures!

I couldn't help myself yesterday and emailed some folks I knew at the new base about jobs for DH. Last tough hurdle. There may be a job for him this summer, it isn't funded yet so not a guarantee.

I skipped my run today, just before the alarm went off I was dreaming of my dad who passed way in '94 and we were talking about the ranch. I hit snooze real fast LOL Might run this afternoon, might not. Coach agreed to some speedwork when I hit 30 miles per week again, oof, there go my weekend mornings again LOL. Skipped breakfast, pretty sure I am still digesting dinner. I ordered another box of Freshly's (premade healthy microwave meals), they are $8.99 a meal so not economical, but better than a 1/2lb burger for $10! They will be good for the move as well if I can find access to a freezer.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Morning guys.

Saturday so long run day - 19.5k. I had a woosh overnight so clearly ate to goal the last couple of days. Not back at lowest but out of danger zone. Come Wednesday ill start eating maintenance again to fill up the stored. I told DH this week the goal is to gain weight. Im trying to actually live that haha.

No calls last night so had a reasonable sleep, yay. Good before a long run. Then we are doing some Easter stuff with the kids, and I think the whole street is going to get involved.

Does anyone have any good ideas for getting dog smell out of a house? The house my mum bought smells really strong of dog and we are wanting to rent it out. I sprinkled a box of baking soda in the worst areas yesterday and will go back and vacuum. I'm going to check for good odour rid stuff at the supermarket after my long run. But I'm open to other suggestions!
  • CMorning99
    Options
    @avidkeo We have kitties but we use a deodorizer with active enzymes in it that breaks down the potential bodily fluid of critters, if that is the source of smell. If you have carpet in there, that might be a challenge and might be worth it to rip it all out and put in hard floors.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    CMorning99 wrote: »
    @avidkeo We have kitties but we use a deodorizer with active enzymes in it that breaks down the potential bodily fluid of critters, if that is the source of smell. If you have carpet in there, that might be a challenge and might be worth it to rip it all out and put in hard floors.

Damn. Lol. I'll try something with enzymes and see if that helps
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @Avidkeo An enzyme shampoo may work or get a profession al to come clean the carpets, and if that wont work replace them.

I am envious of your weight wooshes! ...as i plot to eat ice cream and watch Harrow for hours. hahaha!

I saw a the PA today to my HCP. I gave her the update and she also says to follow up with the neuro and she'll make sure the PCP gets updated... hmm okay... I'd been fine all day until I got home and got a bit stiff and dorky again so I sat and did homework. I think I am going to do a trial ben and jerrys diet, least for today. it is my bday, but not that I need an excuse to eat it. I told her about my increasing anxiety and told her I didnt want the med changed because the anxiety is better than the pain i have. She said I need to let the neuro know about the anxiety and kinda skirted around a diagnosis. So I threw our MS with the disclaimer that I understand other conditions mimic it. I could see that it is what came to her mind as well. Well see. I told her about my grandfather having CJD, which was my biggest concern. I'll take MS-like any day over CJD.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @swenson19 hugs and happy birthday. Enjoy the Ben and Jerry's diet today. Don't envy the wooshes, they only happen after I eat a lot so it's fake loss haha. I weigh more today than I did last week still. But at least the trend is still going down, even if its very slowly atm. I kinda think once this half is done I can concentrate on diet for 2 months while I build to the next one.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d Happy Birthday! Ben and Jerry's calories don't count on your birthday, so enjoy without guilt! Hugs on the pain and anxiety. I hope the neuro can give you some answers. When do you see them?

@CMorning99 I hope you were able to continue your dream. I totally get it. Also hope you were able to get a run in this afternoon and that your husband gets a job.

@Avidkeo Glad you didn't have any call outs and were able to get a decent night's sleep. And yeah for the woosh! I have no additional info on dog smell. Congratulations on finding your mom a home. I must have missed that you/she purchased one.

I've felt really tired today. I woke up motivated to get some cleaning done, but by the time I ate breakfast, I was done. I did walk to the mailbox, thinking that the cool, fresh air would help, but it didn't. So, I laid down for about 1.5 hours. No napping, but did feel some better after I got up. While I had some energy, I went down and did my run/walk on the treadmill. Not totally surprising, I felt much better after I exercised. It didn't last long though. I'm just wiped out. I'm hoping a good night's sleep will be all I need.