Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    I am finally feeling a bit better and it doesn't hurt so much to move. I spent most of Saturday in bed and then yesterday on the couch. It only hurt when I first stood up or sat down. Dh went out and got me the peppermint tea and it really seemed to help. We made sourdough waffles with bacon and eggs for brunch and my appetite was back enough to enjoy it. No constipation @swenson19d, just terrible cramps like gas or menstrual but not... I also got some peppermint caplets that are recommended for IBS. I really don't want to deal with any of the prescription solutions as they all seem to have side affects that aren't worth it. I am hoping this is just a flare up - it has been at least a year or more since I have had issues, and that it won't come back again for a while.
    I took Hobbes out for a walk/run this afternoon figuring I would see how it felt. Walking was pretty good, running not so much. Any bit of bounce hurt but I kept trying. It did feel wonderful to be outside - so pretty out. Hoping I can manage agility class tonight.

My home office window looks out on a wall that has a vine that we can't get rid of (long story) growing on it. Every day there are at least 2 maybe 3 female hummingbirds that come to get gnats off the leaves. There are some spider webs too and I watched a hummer pick the web apart stealing all the stuck bugs. I can tell them apart by their coloring (one is green and brown and the other is mostly black) and how they move around the vine. One is very deliberate and will turn around and appear to look in the window. The other is more frantic, really moving back and forth amongst the leaves. We also have lots to squirrel that bound through the vine along the top of the wall. Do squirrels eat other rodents? I saw one carrying what looked like a furry mouse and now I am wondering if it was carrying a baby squirrel.

I am also down another pound today, I have a feeling from not eating even though I didn't move much, so it will likely come right back.

@avidkeo - is your HM this weekend?
    @swenson19d - good luck with the Neuro tomorrow. So funny you feel like an earthquake and we had a medium sized one last night/early this morning. I did not feel it at all.
    @rheddmobile - how was your Easter brunch with your mom?

I am missing our updates from @ddmom0811 and @bearly63. I see their updates for working out on the newsfeed but that is all. Wonder how they are doing.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d I'm glad you are seeing the neuro tomorrow. I hope they can figure out what is going on.

@Avidkeo It's never too early to carb load! :wink:

I worked in an actual classroom, with awake kids, today for the first time since my surgery. It was the transition class between the babies and 1 year olds...they were all one, but just barely. I wasn't supposed to be by myself, but I was for about 2 hours. It was okay. There are only 5 kids in there and they are really good. I did only work from 8 - 2:15.

When I got home, I went out and mowed the lawn - took 1:46:49 h:m:s and Garmin says I walked 2.43 miles. Then, in order to keep my streak going, I walked an intentional mile at 3.6 mph, to keep my streak going. I took Tippy with me and she did great at not stopping so I could go fast.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @shanaber glad you are feeling better. I like hearing about the hummingbirds. We don't have them in NZ. Yep HM is on sunday

@quilteryoyo lol thanks!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Glad you are feeling some better. I hope you were able to enjoy agility class and that the pain has subsided when you run. That sounds awful! Sounds like you need to leave the vine on the wall for the entertainment value. :wink: I looked it up and squirrels will eat small animals, but my bet is on it was moving it's young. I watched a mom squirrel move her 4 babies once and it was very entertaining as the one's left behind decided to follow, even though mom kept going back and telling them to stay. So much like little humans. :lol:
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - sorry - I've been in a funk and haven't checked in. Sort of a post covid funk (even though I've had my vaccines now!). Just been feeling blah. No reason I should though, I know that.
    I was feeling depressed about my weight which is so stupid because it's really just a few pounds but I just am not happy at that number! I didn't want to cut calories down to the 1500s but finally decided I better. So now even though the number hasn't moved much I'm feeling better mentally. And, as I type this I realize it's all just nonsense!
    But if it is is what I am feeling, it's valid, to me anyway. I have to read backwards to see why you were hurting.

Forgot if I mentioned my co-worker that was put on a ventilator - she was on it two weeks and came off on Easter. She probably got it at school, but it looks like she will be okay, thank goodness!

Had Easter with grandkids which was really nice! So fun.

@RunsOnEspresso - I was going to sign up for Scooby 5K again this year and wondered if you had a coupon that would go towards you? I loved the swag from last year!

@quiteryoyo - 5 one-year-olds! Wow, they must be just adorable but it sounds exhausting!

I got a new beach bike and yesterday we rode for 17 miles. It was a perfect day for it - no wind and not too hot or cold.
    Hope all are doing well! I need the cliff/spark notes version!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I saw today they were doing another Scooby Doo run. I am not putting together a group again. That was too much work! So no code or anything here.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Okay! I'm going to sign up anyway. :)
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I hope you get out of your funk soon. And, you are right. If it what you feel about things, it is valid. Glad your friend is going to be okay. This group of 5 year olds are the best. They played by themselves, play well together, etc. Hardest part was lunch. LOL they are adorable!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I went to town for a haircut this morning. Came home and ate a Pumpkin Spice Super Hero Muffin. I'm now trying to talk myself into going for a run instead of running to the bed for a nap. :lol:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @shanaber glad you are feeling a little better! Did you recently get the vax? I’m half expecting a lupus flare, vaccinations always provoke my autoimmune issues. Wonder if that may be behind the IBS.

I checked and my thyroid is the same manufacturer as always. It really is fragile stuff though - it’s not supposed to go above 78 for more than 4 hrs and more than 86 EVER! And the low end I think is 56 or something. In my house in the high summer there’s no room that consistently stays below 78 in the middle of the day unless I want a 500 dollar heating bill, and you can’t store it in the fridge because that’s too cold, so it’s an issue. I’m due for bloodwork as soon as I get fully vaccinated so I will see them if it’s low.

Easter ended up being a perfect day. I found a shirt I forgot I owned which although not floral did have ruffled sleeves and look nice, the weather was beautiful, we ate outside next to the front pasture and the mares walked up and observed us the whole time. Catered dinner was butterflied and stuffed leg of lamb, roasted small potatoes, homemade yeast rolls, and roasted asparagus, all came on an oven pan so we just stuck it in the oven for fifteen minutes to warm up and it came out looking freshly cooked. Salad with fancy greens, candied pecans, blue cheese, raspberries and other fruit, Dijon vinaigrette. Cost with tax and delivery fees was less than $100 for four people with leftovers, less than I would have spent for the ingredients to make it! Dessert was baklava from my friend’s gyro place. I love the caterer, she is someone I met at a horse show who grew up in the Memphis area, went to the same high school as my mom, and basically cooks exactly like my grandma used to. So having her do holiday dinners is like doing it myself but without the trouble.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @rheddmobile the medication sounds frustrating, though that dinner sounds amazing.

The carb load has gone perfectly, up 3kg from Friday. Just did a 3k at race pace and it was easy. Now to maintain it...

I decided to postpone my second jab. Was supposed to have it Thursday, but hearing about some of the side effects I thought best wait until AFTER my half. So getting it next week now.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Wow, I feel like the weekend was the longest ever! I feel like I hadn't been at work for weeks! I don't know what I even really did. I got sucked into a Jean-Claude Van Dam binge and DH indulged me and even rented a few classics for me. I spent a day working on my reseller's business as well, slowly working through my backlogged inventory. That didn't stop me from shopping though this weekend to buy more LOL. "Luckily" pickings were a bit slim 22 items only so I should be able to process those this this week.

Let me tell you what I didn't do...RUN! I think part of my problem is I have no races, no goals other than to get back into shape...soooo boring.

I am trying to think about what I eat today. I bought some Kodiak granola bars, I love their pancakes. They were good, they don't have sugar so my taste buds were a bit confused for a minute. I should do my run this afternoon, but already the struggle is happening.

We are teleworking tomorrow. I really am tired of that, it really is busy work. We all have to log into the software and have a "discussion", but it isn't like we see don't see each other every other day, so not much to talk about. I might take Thursday off, I think the trial is progressing and some of my neighbors have been subpoena'd as long as it isn't delayed again today at the last pre-prelim trial.

My neighbor also called me yesterday and said we have run into our first hurdle on splitting and selling half the property, the county has put a halt on all new water meters due to the drought, I think it has been in place for a couple years. But we can't even submit our paper work without an intent to serve letter from the water company, which they wont do. My neighbor is lucky b/c he has a well, but it already serves 3 houses and he planned to move to city water and sell the well. Also getting the travel trailer "inspected"...ugh, bit of a saga. They are charging me $600 to do it and I asked what they did, and it boiled down to they "looked" at everything...why I am paying you $600 to look at things? I want preventative maintenance. My mom went through the same battles. Also got her picture submitted for the "empty saddle" article in the event magazine for her memorial. So I guess it was productive weekend LOL

6 days into Apr and gonna give it (another) college try at being an adult LOL
  • quilteryoyo
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @rheddmobile I didn't realize thyroid medicine was so finicky. Sounds like you had a wonderful Easter visit with your mom. That dinner sounds delicious.

@Avidkeo Probably a good idea to postpone the second shot for a few days. You are going to kill that HM!

@CMorning99 You have do much going on right now. I think you are adulting pretty well. I hope you can get some of the things with the ranch worked out. Is it possible to dig a well for the part that you want to sale? I know it's probably expensive, but you would at least have a water source.

Oh, I did go for a run this afternoon instead of taking a nap. I'm glad I did.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - Hey you! I am sorry you have been in a funk. I get that way too sometimes and I will read and not comment, just not feeling social. What you feel about your weight isn't silly, it is what it is, but then that is also why we have this little side group. I think we all know our weight may only be a few pounds off or more than a few (15-20) and it is frustrating to not have it drop seemingly no matter what we do. I know though that you workout a lot, biking, running, walking and lifting and you need to eat enough to fuel all that you are doing. I am not really sure 1500 calories is enough but I get that you mentally feel better.
    I have gotten to the point now that I want to be healthy more than I want to lose more but I wouldn't be sad if I did drop some. Actually I am trying to figure out how I can keep the drop I had from not having much appetite the last few days. I mean if you only eat 800 calories you are bound to lose but it just isn't healthy and I am sure my body is going to boomerang back up, hopefully not though.
    I am thinking I will sign up for the Scooby run again too. I like the charity and the swag was pretty cute last time.

@rheddmobile - I got my 2nd shot not 02/13 so its been a while. I wouldn't think it is related.
    I am so glad you had a nice Easter with your mom. The dinner sounds amazing! I wish I could find a caterer around here like that!
    We are fortunate that our house stays pretty cool most of the time. Even when it is super hot out if we keep the garage door closed and the windows closed it stays very nice and in the low 70's. The killer is Dh wants all the windows open all the time because he 'needs fresh air'. Makes me crazy - I go thru and close everything in the morning and he will go back and open things back up.

@avidkeo - I was wondering about that. Probably a good thing to have it after the race!

@CMorning99 - hope you can get the property issues straightened out. I know the state and counties all have so many different regulations, permits and hoops you have to go thru to get any work done.

@swenson19d - how did it go today?

I had PT again today and she commented that I was limping when I went in. My hamstring was pretty sore and I don't think I even realized I was limping. So she spent quite a bit more time with the 'wand' of pain working on my hamstring, calves and piriformis which was incredibly tight. Then we did more exercises and I am now allowed to do squats and skater lunges. My little pre-run warm up workout is getting longer and longer.

What is everyone eating these days? Anything new/good for spring? I saw today that the local strawberry fields are opening up. Can't wait to start getting fresh berries again.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Hope the PT helped your hamstring, even if it was temporarily painful. Nothing new on the food front here. Same old stuff.
  • shanaber
    Options
    This woman is amazing! I saw a video of her working out - wow!
    https://www.nippon.com/en/japan-topics/g01016/takimika--the-90-year-old-fitness-instructor.html
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Happy Humpday People!

It's been way too long. I was up at 5 am today with my coughing pup (also at 3 am) so I decided I needed to check in here. I hate going weeks. So much is happening. I did a quick read so I feel caught up.

@ddmom0811 I totally relate to the funk. I find my attitude moves with the news cycle of the day. I should probably stay of SM with the news but at the same time stuff is happening and I have a hard time going through life like it isn't. The idea that if its not happening to my and my family then I can ignore it - just doesn't fly with me. I agree with @shanaber. You are working out plenty. Maybe mix up a bit of what your eating and eat more. See what happens. Assume thryoid is good? The Macro thing is worth looking into as well....see if a different balance of macros might make a difference. Some of my pelo friends are losing (more to lose) by focusing on the macros vs the calories.

@shanaber So happy for your daughter but so sorry she can get down there for a visit sooner. Stay at the nice hotel - you haven't traveled in so long....treat yourself! Sounds like the PT is helping but I agree....it does hurt and the exercises get longer. Retraining muscles takes some time. Ok....when your ready for a run, I have one for you on the Peloton app. You will love it. Becs Gentry is one of the running instructors. She does a 45 min themed outdoor run for womens history month all about Kathrine Switzer - first woman to run the Boston Marathon in 1967 - when they tried to remove her from the race. It was a great run, so motivating. Becs is a marathoner who made the olympic trials a few a weeks ago for Great Britain. She came in third so won't be going to the Olympics. I ran it yesterday and my 4 mile splits just kept getting better and better. I went from a 12.26 mile in mile 1 to a 10.42 in mile 4. Prepeloton and hip issues - I was a 13 mph pace runner....slow. check it out!

@quilteryoyo Those puppies are just the cutest! I was worried about your chest pain etc. Is it all ok now? Sounds like the run was good so hopefully all is well!

@avidkeo I was just looking up Kathrine Switzer - she just tweeted about a "Move The World" relay in New Zealand. Its a virtual race you can do in April! Her organization supports women's running and walking programs. Very cool. I think I am going to sign up and run a bit more if my hip still feels good. Good luck on your HM!

@swenson19d I think a vacay in May sounds heavenly! We were looking at one last trip before the kids go off to school. It may be tough to schedule after esp for DD. Hawaii looks pretty good as far as Covid goes. You have to join the "safe travelers program" once you book flights and get a negative covid test 48 hours before you leave from on of their approved labs. Its just so dang expensive....we have to decide if its worth it. Anyone ever been to Puerto Rico? I would like to support them too.....and its closer to get to. How was the neuro appt? Fill us in. Also I love the hair cut....

Update from crazy TX.....I have spent several weeks looking for a vaccine for my son who is coming into town this weekend. He is going to Houston on Thursday and we are driving down with DD to take them both around their prospective campuses and look at apartments. We will drive back up to Austin on Saturday. Son is eligible in TX and in NYC but could not find a shot in NYC. I was worried that if he got a Pfizer or Moderna he couldn't get the second back home so I was able to score a JJ at Walmart on the way home on Saturday.

My dog is coughing a lot and half fainting after, with some seizure like shaking....so freaky. She never seems the worse for the wear after, like she doesn't remember it....the more I research the more its the collapsed trachea - pretty common in both dogs and cats. Cough medicine seems to sooth the irritation. I guess we just keep her comfortable. She seems to be hanging on so not ready for the end of life stuff yet. It's so hard.

Hip is feeling good! I realized this last weekend that I had forgotton what it felt like to walk without a limp since its been over year. I limped for a year. Now, I get out of bed and walk normally. Every now and then I feel a little twinge. I don't know if it was the shot, the meloxicam that I take daily or a combo. I hope it continues but I realize that this is not forever.

Food: I am still macro tracking on MFP. It is hard to eat enough protein so I drink a fair amount of Fair Life Core power chocolate milk. (low fat, low sugar, grass fed ) and more fish these days - the best bang for the buck on protein vs calories. My weight is good....same fluctuations of 2-3 lbs over a week, But I was feeling low energy so the macro coach upped my calories and there fore my macros from 1625 to 1725, by keeping my protein the same but adding more carbs and fat. And she told me to add 50-75 grams of carbs when I ride for more than an hour. I am going to try that this next 2 weeks and see how I feel. Again, my goal is to gain lean muscle and lose fat.....but stay within 5 lbs of my weight....RN I am at 137....

Exercise: I am really focusing on consistency and following a strength calendar and sticking to it as much as possible. 5 days a week of Upper body x 2, lower body x2 and a full body day. 2 days are "active" recovery - yoga, stretch and low impact. And cardio on those days is supposed to be 30 min....not more. Too much cardio takes away from the muscle build. I am still going to do a long ride once a week. And my crazy "marathon" riding weekend is in 2 weeks - going for 207 miles over 2 days....we are raising money for NAMI - National Alliance on Mental Illness. A great organization.

That's my life in nutshell. oh and work.....has been busy!

Hope everyone is having a good week. I am enjoying getting back into running....but not going to do too much.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    neuro.
    I like her fine, a bit dry and strictly business. I like it when my doc's can kinda joke a bit and put me at ease. I really feel like I need that assurance that this isn't all in my head. I had someone mention these symptoms were common with menopause and it got me thinking I was just a big baby compared to all the other women. But I've never seen a menopausal woman stiffen up and fight to walk so... I 'm trying to be patient with opinions and experiences. Any way on to the meat and taters of the appointment, Full neuro check findings: diminished sensation in my left pinky. Brisk reflexes at the knee still. Labs included CK, B12, CMP, thyroid, and CBC. B12 is elevated which is fine, I date? take it daily and it's water soluble. Low can cause parasthesia. CK is elevated just over the reference range. I can't see this result but the note from the doc says such. She isn't concerned about the CK and called it normal. She didn't think there was much concern for the CJD. She wrote in my notes that my "grandfather liked to "eat brains"." LOL well, that isn't what I said exactly. He wasn't a zombie, cannibal or serial killer. Pig brains and eggs were a cultural thing back in the day. IDK if he "liked" them or not. poor folks ate all the pig parts. anyway... I am waiting on a call for an MRI of my brains with and without contrast.

I had a migraine yesterday. Ate too much. Skipped class this morning. I'm tired. I don't wanna do anything but sleep.

Leaving the docs yesterday my legs stiffened up again. It stops when I sit and relax. I have walked the neighborhood with dh twice and it hasn't happened. I really want to figure out a way to provoke it and video it.

TLDR
    I'm normal until proven otherwise. :p

Oh i made a FB friend and I think shes a nut. can i just unfriend and move on? is that okay?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I'm waiting for summer watermelon 🍉 😋

@swenson19d if it's not a relative, unfriend. Relative? Unfollow. That way you don't see their *kitten* BUT don't offend them when they realize you unfriended them 😉
  • Avidkeo
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @bearly63 that's cool about Kathrine Switzer. I had heard of her in the sense of the Boston marathon but didn't know about her legacy or that she lived in New Zealand! Going to have to follow her!

@swenson19 the great thing about Facebook is that you can be friends with only people you choose and you don't need to apologise foe that. Delete and move on. Now I'm curious why you think she's a nut lol