Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @penguinmama87 I hope your issue with the IRS is resolved. It is so frustrating trying to get to talk to a person. Then, when they don't do what they say and you keep getting notices....I try to be nice, but it is hard sometimes. LOL

Thank you @shanaber I mailed all of the documentation today and tried to be as honest as possible. I'm sure some people want - especially for things that can't be checked, like money received from friends and family that they designated was to help for the funeral. I included that in my letter. So, now we just wait and see what they decide. I hope she gets some.
    Sounds like you had a really nice day yesterday and those pups had so much room to romp freely. I'm sure Hobbes loved it.

@swenson19d I'm glad to hear that your day went well.

I worked 4 hours today - in the office at daycare. I was there to answer the phone and open the door if needed. I did both of those things twice. LOL I also filed some papers for them, so I didn't totally get paid to sit and do nothing.

Oh, I did help serve lunch. They had taquitos today. I ate two for my lunch. They weren't bad. Then I brought the 4 that were left over home - 2 for mom and 2 for me. I ate them tonight with sour cream. That made them better. Mom really liked them. They were small, so I guessed at which taquito from MFPs database to use. So, who knows how close it is.

My back is still a little niggly, so I decided on a 2 mile walk instead of a run after work. I was going to be "lazy" and walk on the treadmill, but Tippy coming coming to the door, wanting me to go out with her. So, I gave in, put her on leash, and she did 2 driveway laps with me - a little over half a mile. Then, I turned her loose. She laid in front of the garage for a while and then disappeared into the neighbor's field. She does good with on-leash walks and actually seems to enjoy them. She'll stop and all I have to say it, "I'm not stopping." and she'll usually stop sniffing and move on.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @swenson19 it's a 3 year degree here, no nursing first though

Youve had enough imaging done you'd do well in medical imaging! I'd love to have you as a student!
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @swenson19 it's a 3 year degree here, no nursing first though

Youve had enough imaging done you'd do well in medical imaging! I'd love to have you as a student!

The degree I am looking is is a bachelor in nursing plus 2000 hours experience then 30 credit hour program (1year). Seems fun. I hope there is a program around here.

Sitting waiting on brain photos... can’t wait to see it! Lol!
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I dont know if I have been lazy or overworked LOL! I looked like I had black eyes this morning.

@shanaber I loved the pictures. A lady that took one of my mom's McNabs sends me pictures of her running around chasing squirrels, it means the world to me. Her other pup is somewhere near Tahoe and I am sure living the best life!

All the talk of the IRS reminded me that I still have to deal with them for mom. Mom HATED paperwork, any kind of paperwork, and definitely followed the out of sight out of mind approach. She was 100% convinced she was just too busy to do it LOL. But she only did her taxes maybe every 3-4 years when the IRS would send her nasty grams and then she would finally buckle down and do bunch of years, feel accomplished and forget about them for another couple years LOL. So when she passed, I had 2 years of back taxes (her taxes are super easy and I just sent them to her tax guy), and 2020 to do....Cali has already come back and sent me a bill for the fees/interest, but the IRS has not...and it has been 4 months? I think last time we waited almost 8 months.

I took the last 2 days off of work to help hubby move into his apt. It wasn't a lot of stuff, but it is a solid 30 min drive each way to get there and so that took up a lot of the time. I also went thrifting and avoided all my runs. I would not be surprised if my coach dropped me at this point. I should run in the mornings again because it is getting so hot, but oof.

I did get on the scale yesterday and I was still in the same range, I know I am dehydrated and I get heavier when I am. Still 12lbs over my allowed high.

Yesterday was last day of kitties sub q fluids. He felt really good yesterday. He had another round of blood work an everything is back in his normal. The vet did raise an eyebrow with a new level that was high, something associated with his gallbladder. She think that these "crashes" are a kidney symptom of a GI IBS problem. His GI feels ick, he doesn't drink as much as he should, he crashes. He is on long term prednisone now to see if that helps. They did an ultrasound and she said his intestines have areas of thickening....so either progressive IBS or of course they thru in cancer. Only way to know is a biopsy. We are on the fence.

Tonight is my going away with my unit so no run, it should be fun! Tomorrow we have the Uhaul for the bed and TV for hubby. Supposed to run Sat and Sun...IDK about Sat.

I need a vacation!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 You have a lot going on. I'm glad your kitty is doing better. I know that is a relief. Have fun at your going away party.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d - what happened with the brain photos? Hope all is well! There are so many different areas in healthcare that I would find interesting. Too bad I had no interest when I was younger.
    @CMorning99 - Hope the prednisone helps your kitty for a longer while so he doesn't get back into that up/down cycle. As far as the biopsy is concerned, at his age would you/could you do anything differently if it were shown to be cancer. If the answer is no, then I wouldn't put him through the stress. Hope you can find some time to get even a short run in. I know it helps me to have a better attitude and more energy for everything else I need to get done.
    @quilteryoyo - Tippy is so lucky to have big areas to run free in. We have a pretty good sized backyard but not anything like a big field or woods for Hobbes to explore. I hope your back is feeling better and I saw on the newsfeed that you were too fatigued to really go out for a run. I hope that resolves itself too!

I didn't get out for a run yesterday morning. I was all dressed but ended up with stomach issues again that had me just running to the bathroom all morning. I had started sourdough bread overnight and got it in the oven and then dd called wanting to talk about her new job and asking me to review her benefit options. So I did that and then we talked again and by that time my day was pretty much shot. I did do ALL of my various PT exercises in prep to run. It took me 1.5 hours to get them all finished so I am going to have to rotate through different ones on different days I think. I did get out for a longish run this morning without doing the PT exercises first. If I had waited to do them, even the shorter version it would have been too hot. I didn't eat before I ran either and I wasn't hungry during or afterwards despite DH getting pastries from his favorite Cuban bakery. I made sourdough maple walnut bread a few days ago and that is what I wanted later (not at all sweet). Tonight we are having leftover hamburgers that we grilled earlier this week.
    I weighed myself this morning and I am still hanging in there at the lower weight. I really need to measure again because I feel like I am losing inches again too. I started thinking today that I may just be able to break thru that 140 mark again. I hope so!
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @shanaber Sounds like a lot of PT exercises! I did mine daily and just rotated through them. I don't think it ever took me that long to do them. I am waiting for the radiology report on the brain images. I looked at the studies and cant see anything abnormal. Every time I think something is amiss, I find more information and its normal. I have school work to do and an exam monday to study for and I just want answers.Last night I was woken up twice with tremors, once in my legs an the second in my arms. I just hope they find something and I'm not left without answers. Congratulation on the weight moving! I gotta quit eating cookies.

DH took the CD drive so I am forced to do something else now. I'm in a slump of exhaustion and just napping.

DH's PCP put him on cholesterol med. I wonder if that will spur some dietary changes... he brought home fajitas today. His LDL is 165 and should be less than 100. total cholesterol was 265. I'd be mine is high too since I don't eat any better or exercise.

Contrast dye gives me diarrhea.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I posted this in the running thread.

This afternoon, mom and I went to visit the puppies. They are 6 weeks old. I know dogs grow fast, but am still amazed at how much bigger they were today.

ub8sew35n9dk.jpg
    They didn't stay together very long. LOL

dida2xlinoj1.jpg
    Ashley with the two boys.

on0nm5iedbye.jpg
    Blue eyed girl.

rpp8ptcjg2eu.jpg
    Boys wrestling. I guess boys will be boys, even if they are puppies.

qabgsmqymwao.jpg
    I'm a sucker for those eyes.

0lrv56p433ic.jpg
    They won't be able to get under the car for very much longer.

dc9gv38k30ae.jpg
    You can tell how big they are here.

fneto5r50bj8.jpg
    Me and one of the boys.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I applied to the humane society for a kitten. They have exactly ONE kitten because so many people want pets so chances are low I will get her, wish me luck. Everyone has tons of older cats, but I only get a new cat once every 18 years, I feel I deserve to enjoy a kitten once every two decades!

They approve your application then call you for an appointment, and the application took me over an hour to fill out. I had to give proof of my income, housing situation, vet contact info, driver’s license, and it was honestly very unpleasant, like filing for a mortgage - I know we’re not supposed to encourage private breeders but if I knew someone who was just giving away kittens out of the back of a truck I would do that and avoid the process. I understand their desire to be cautious but surely there’s a reasonable compromise between giving kittens to people who intend to use them for bait and making the process as complicated as applying to adopt a human child. Especially since if there were ulterior motives it would be easy to lie - if I said I owned no pets I wouldn’t have to provide contact information for a vet, for example.

Also, if the whole world is swarming with unwanted kittens from people who refuse to spay/neuter, WHERE ARE THEY? Can I have one?
  • swenson19d
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @rheddmobile I understand. DH and I jumped through similar hoops to find Bear a buddy. No one got back with us/approved us- I think we are good pet parents, one told DH he was cruel for having outside dogs. The shelter here is still walk in and pick one with no application, you do sign a waiver stating that you will provide for the pet and such. We have a local FB pet connection where people post about free animals, I don't see many kittens though, seems to be mostly pit bulls. I don't think the application process helps with pet mills. I hope you get the kitty, we all need a little more sweetness in our lives.

ETA @quilteryoyo LOVES them puppies! I was talking to a nurse the other day and she just got a little doberman puppy. He was adorable and I want two! Bear wouldn't like it though. Cori loves dogs, I guess his first home he was exposed. That little turd took a flour tortilla off the counter and took it outside to eat. Definitely doggish.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @rheddmobile Come to Greeneville. There are plenty of kittens to be had. My neighbor had a hard time finding a place for their mom's, after she passed away (they were around 1 year old), because the local shelter already had more than they were allowed.
    Fingers crossed you get the one you applied for!

Hahaha @swenson19d about Cori stealing the tortilla! I can't have a cat because Tippy hates them. She got scratched as a puppy and isn't going to let that happen again. LOL

Speaking of Tippy. I took her to the vet today because she has seemed a little off for the last month - breathing hard/raspy at night, restless, hiding in my closet, not wagging her tail when I say her name in the morning, and just looking like she doesn't feel good when you look into her eyes. She is still eating well, peeing, pooping, running around like a puppy.

I switched vets for a couple of reasons. One was that the vet I liked where I used to go has gone elsewhere and Tippy and I didn't really like the other two who were there. AND they started charging a lot more for things - like $10 to send a prescriptions to 1-800-petmeds. It used to be free just 2 years ago. The vets sold the "business" to a management company. They are still the vets, but don't run the business side anymore. So, the business side seems to care nothing about making sure the pets are taken care of as cheaply as possible, for people who can't afford huge bills.

I really don't even know if this vet charges for prescriptions to be sent, but they were highly recommended and did a good job with Socks, mom's cat, when we took him.

I think I am going to like them a lot more. The vets name is Vicki - so she must be good, right?. (In case you didn't already know, my real name it Vicky.) Anyway, it turns out Tippy has some issues I didn't know she had. Her lungs are fine, but they found arthritis in her spine..thoracic and lumbar area. She said she was a little painful on the one spot she touched, but it is inflamed, so that could be why she is breathing heavily. Also, she has a hypothyroid, which can make her feel sluggish (maybe why she doesn't want to move in the morning). Plus, she has some stomach issues - she knew this from smelling her breath...and there was a lot of stuff still in her intestines and colon and gas. But, seriously, she said she sticks her face in their mouths to sniff. Just yuck. I asked how Tippy did with that. She said she growled a little and looked at her like she was a crazy lady, but once they backed off from each other, she was fine. LOL Tippy was "mean" to the other vets, so I think that is a good sign.

Anyway, she now has pain, thyroid, and stomach meds and I'm feeding her pumpkin every day - to help move the stool along.
    Vicki talked to me about her for almost 30 minutes on the phone - still can't go in to see them. She also said that she could tell by looking in her eyes that she was "dull," meaning not as happy and energetic as usual. I was impressed with that.
    g6aj5p9op7lk.jpg
    She looks scared, but she isn't. She loves riding. I think she was wondering why she could see herself in the camera - I was in selfie mode.

Food has not been good today, but I'm not going to be too far over my goal. It'll be fine.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Well I am glad you switched vets! I hope Tippy get to feeling so much better soon. She looks eager and interested in the photo, like she's watching the road for a squirrel! Hypothyroidism comes with slow gut motility. I am really glad I don't have to smell patients breath to discern their health. You know they use to taste pee for diabetes? ugh nope.

I am struggling
    I am so tired all the time. nap daily, sleep good at night, and wake just exhausted. My B12 was super high and I cut back to 3x/week rather than daily (saving money). I wonder if I might bump it back to daily. I drank a red bull before my exam today and still could have gone back to bed.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @swenson19d ! I'm so sorry you are struggling. It could be the B12. I forget, did you have CoVID? If so, it could be from that.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @rheddmobile I saw on FB kittens are incubating and due the end of May. So perhaps if the shelter doesn't work out the free ones will be available.

@quilteryoyo Yes I had COVID back in december. I think some of it could be that I am busy, mentally and wore out with the THR and neuro stuff and trying to keep up on school work. I have solid B's this semester- struggling.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d You do have a lot on your plate, so I guess it's not surprising that you are exhausted. I have had a couple of days lately where I am just totally wiped out and am wondering if it is lingering affects from CoVID or the vaccine. Fortunately, for me, they have only lasted for one day and then I'm okay. Just weird. I hope you are doing better today.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @swenson19d You do have a lot on your plate, so I guess it's not surprising that you are exhausted. I have had a couple of days lately where I am just totally wiped out and am wondering if it is lingering affects from CoVID or the vaccine. Fortunately, for me, they have only lasted for one day and then I'm okay. Just weird. I hope you are doing better today.

I had the vaccine the end of march so that seems like a reasonable cause. There just isn't enough caffeine in day!
  • shanaber
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - that vet sounds awesome! I have heard about smelling the breath to discern a problem. It works for people too in some cases, but there is no need if they can communicate and with dogs they can't tell you that their stomach hurts. You might also start giving Tippy a little scoop of Greek yogurt once a day. It is really good for their gut health. Hobbes gets it most days and I mix in the supplements he gets for the MCT.
    I love those puppies. DH keeps telling me that all puppies are cute and adorable and then they grow up. I want another puppy, specifically a Vizsla brother for Hobbes. I do worry that it will be a really crazy Vizsla though since Hobbes is pretty special and much calmer than most. DH is not a fan of puppies, he doesn't deal well with that uncontrolled exuberance and the potty training. Once they are more grown up and calmer he loves them but it could be a long wait - it took Hobbes about 4 years to calm down some and he wasn't even that bad to begin with.
    @rheddmobile - I agree with @swenson19d that new kittens should be popping out soon now that we are moving into the middle of Spring. If you can hold off a few more weeks you might have lots of choices. Reading about that application I am surprised they get many people actually applying. I would think just the fact that you filled it all out, regardless of what you put down, should qualify you.
    @swenson19d - just all the schoolwork you are doing would make me exhausted. Add into that the constant pain, not sleeping well, etc. and I just can't imagine. Solid B's in your classes is awesome considering what you are dealing with! I hope you get some answers soon.

We are doing lots of work on our house, some of it much needed but so far mostly on the outside. Today a guy is coming to fix our sprinklers. Over the years the dirt has washed away, leaving the sprinkler pipes exposed in places and many of them keep cracking and breaking. Some work great and others not at all so it will be good to have them all working again the way they should be. In a couple of weeks we are getting the house fumigated. It sounds weird but I can't wait. we have these terrible flying ants that congregate in the kitchen and family room pretty much every night now for the last couple of weeks. it is their migration/mating season and apparently they are in our attic. The good news though is they are not termites like we thought they were. We do have those too in the attic and garage, and crickets. I hate crickets and as it gets warmer they just get worse and worse. In the meantime I have to pack up all the food, even from the refrigerator and freezer into special bags. We are going to take what we can over to Hilde's and put in her extra freezer and I figure it is a good opportunity to clean out anything old or expired. I am just hoping they don't do too much damage though to our roof tiles.
    I am also hoping we can get the contractors out to give us a new bid on the indoor work we need since the old bid expired last year during the shutdown and maybe get it going in the fall.
    Food has been pretty good, we are using up a lot of what is in the freezer. Dh smoked a pork tenderloin on Sunday that was delicious and we have at least 2 more meals out of it. Tonight I need to cook some chicken I defrosted - maybe in the IP or we will grill it.
    Oh and dd started her new job yesterday! She was supposed to do peds clinical but they didn't have any patients for her yet so she was asked to come be the medical director for the vaccine clinic for the day instead. She called on her way in and was so excited. Today she is meeting the 'other side' of her job, all the IT people she will be working with.
    Also just saw one out my window and wanted to mention that I have named 2 of the hummingbirds. One is tiny dancer because she is so pretty as she goes after the bugs, swooping, turning and spinning. The other is flit because she attacks the vines so quickly and her tail flares out with each jab. Wish I could get a picture of them. Especially when tiny dancer turns around and looks in the window.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    Just a drive by before class. I got the mri radiology report.

“Normal”

*sigh. I guess I just move on and don’t pay attention the goofy symptoms.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Actually @swenson19d - I would discuss with either the neurologist or your PCP and ask where you go from here. I mean clearly you are having symptoms of something and there has to be a way to figure out what is causing them.

I have a kinda weird/dumb question... I went to PT today and she had me doing leg things with a pulley machine. It wasn't a tough workout, we were chatting the entire time (I will be sore later though, I am sure) but I started sweating like I had just run 5 miles in the heat. She had to get me a towel it was dripping off me. When I was working out at the gym I got over being embarrassed about sweating but I was really surprised by it. Once I walked outside I was fine. It wasn't hot in the facility, in fact I am typically cold there and I had on normal workout wear - leggings and a long sleeved running top. Any ideas? Just one of those weird physiologic occurrences?
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @shanaber congrats to ur dd, it’s exciting her starting the new job.

I did send a message to the neuro asking if I should return to the follow up since the brain is normie.

I have no idea on the sweating. I wonder if it’s menopause/hormonal? It is interesting though and you might ask your pcp about it. I can be cold and sweat. It’s just a slight over/under correction of temp regulation for me.