Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon folks!

It has been a minute! Time has flown by!

@quilteryoyo Sorry about Tippy! They are such stoic creatures, it is hard to tell what exactly they are hiding from you until they are really feeling crappy. Our vent is very competent but she also is very rushed. She will chat with you but wont look at records before she calls so I constantly have to remind her what we have already done and not done.

@shanaber It isn't worth putting him through a biopsy. He has been on prednisone already for 4 months and I figure if we have made it this far with no other signs of cancer, then it probably isn't that. When my mom's dog had cancer, by the time they showed any symptoms, it was already pretty far along, so I think it is IBS.

@swenson19d Sorry you didn't get any answers. There must be a reason, you just need to find the right doctor who will think outside the box.

We have been busy. We got DH moved into his bougie little apt and it is super cute...it better be for the price LOL! On Sunday I got in a good 7 mile run, first one since Tuesday. We took some more things to the apt in the afternoon and the weekend was a wrap!

Yesterday I got up early to go thrifting. I live in a thrifting heaven zone, so many on every corner and good stuff too! I wanted to get one last haul in before the movers came. I haven't looked to see what they have near the new base. I got home and and got to cleaning and sorting stuff that we needed and what the movers would/wouldn't take. I have already filled the whole trash can! I think the movers are the most stressful part of it all. Once all the stuff is gone, I don't care anymore.

I planned to go running this morning but my grey kitty had a rough night. He has night terrors, has for years, and they are so violent he has thrown himself off the bed. I am a light sleeper so as soon as I feel him twitch, I wake up and pet him and wake him up. For whatever reason last night, he was sleeping so deeply I couldn't wake him. Then this morning I woke up to his eye partially rupturing and he didn't want to get out of bed. It sucks when they get older. Black cat is doing well though.

Today I am tired again. I am sure it is hormonal and I have some adrenal supplements I need to remember to take. I need to run this afternoon, but dang, it is going to take some will power. I think when I get to the new base I am going to ask for a hormone panel and see where I am lacking. I also need to take better care of myself, my jeans yesterday were holding on for dear life LOL
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @shanaber Thanks. I'll have to get some Greek yogurt. I love puppies too, but your DH is right, they are all cute and some don't grow up to be quite so cute anymore. LOL I hope you can get a new Vizsla puppy. I'd love to see pictures.
    Good luck with all of the housework. I probably need to get an exterminator to look around here. I'm getting those big black ants and have some roaches too. I HATE roaches. Glad DD is loving her new job. Hummingbirds are so much fun to watch!
    Sorry, I have no clue about the sweating, unless it is hot flashes, as @swenson19d suggested.

@swenson19d I know you want answers, but it is good news that the MRI is normal. I would continue to push for a diagnosis, as @shanaber said.

@CMorning99 Glad you got DH all moved into his apartment. Hope you get good movers. I had good and bad with the AF. Moving is a good time to get rid of stuff you don't need. Sorry about your grey kitty. I hope his eye is better. You are doing great with your runs. It's hard to find the time when you have so much to do.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    @CMorning99 I want pics of the bougie apartment! It' my alter ego's dream space! Poor kitty! my goodness! How is his eye? can the vet give him some med to help with the terrors? Jeez that's awful. poor baby.

@quilteryoyo Odd to be getting the bugs. Ants her are a seasonal thing. The old house would get them in the spring. DH's grandmother calls them pi$s ants LOL! They were just the sugar ants, small black ones. We occasionally see wood roaches in the house and I freak thinking they are house roaches. We did have a small battle with them when DD's cousin was bringing her laundry (and roaches) over. But the bait stuff knocked it right out, so you might give that a go, unless the exterminator is warranted. Not recently, I've see roaches crawl out of back packs and in bags of gifted clothing. Anyway, they aren't hard to control/exterminate if you get on it (since you are not in an apartment).

@shanaber Hobbes definitely needs a puppy buddy or two :).

Cori is so dumb...
    it's funny, not funny. Bear loves plastic bags and paper bags, if it makes noise he is all about it. Cori is just learning to play in them. He was having a good time with his chirpy cricket toy in the giant stiff plastic bag from Mexican take out. Bear was getting him and Cori got his head in the handle hole. I am so good to remember to cut them and DD is too... but it didn't happen just this once. Cori got scared and ran all over the house, no one could catch him and he finally got stuck in the front window on the cat tree and DH set him free. He was so scared, he growled and laid on the wall shelf for 20 minutes and kept looking for whatever got him. DH had to get him down and talk to him, DD came out and held him, I found some calming spray and he was better, but a tad weary over the spot he was "attacked". He's such a dodo. I'm glad it happened when we were all home. It might have been bad if not. He's fine now. Back to playing. goodness kitten.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d Hahaha Some of the older people around here call them the same thing - pi$s ants. LOL Haven't heart that in a long time though. I hadn't thought about roach bait. Thanks. I'll put that on my list. I'm pretty sure living in the middle of a small forest is why I have so many unwanted critters in the house.

I'm sure it was funny to see Cori running around with the bag on his head, but not funny that he was so scared. Poor baby. Glad you were home to take care of it.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    good morning!

@swenson19d Grey cat is on gabapentin for pain, but it is also an anti-anxiety medication. I don't know if it helps but he gets it every day for the last 6 years so hard to say.

What a rough night! We packed up what we though we would need from the house and just threw it all in the backs of the cars, it was complete chaos. We didn't leave the house till 7:30 at night and it is a 35 min drive to the apt. On the way day grey cat and black cat got in a bit of a tiff, they were sharing a large crate and I think grey cat scratched his eye again and it did a full rupture. When we got to the apt, he was a hissing spitting hurting ball of misery. Luckily I have some kitty narco on hand and dosed him quickly and put in some eye numbing drops. He was so miserable though, just walking around hissing. Black cat who is usually the skittish one moved right in though and approved of the new digs LOL. Of course we didn't sleep well with new noises and exploring cats on a hardwood floor (click click clicky toenails).

Obviously no run yesterday, I had mapped out a route this morning but that didn't happen. DH is calling the eye doc to get grey cat antibiotics that I need to pick up, the vet is an hour away. We need to go by the house today and do one last walk around before the movers show up tomorrow morning. Mainly we need to pack up the trash and take it to the dumpster.

Well, that seems to be about it. I looked in the mirror yesterday and was so sad at the state of my body, I am not taking care of myself. My boss is completely ripped and he works so hard for that body...and I hate to admit it, but I feel a bit resentful.

Ok, back to work and keeping forward momentum. It too shall all pass.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Well, April has been... interesting. But I'm back and my goal is to lose some weight in the next 6 weeks.

I started a slow comeback after Yeti 24 hour run. It's been slower than planned.

Last Saturday I got a bloody nose (stupid allergies and dry air) after 1.5 miles so walked home.

This Monday I had my second vaccine & had an immune response so took Mon, Tues, and Wed as rest days.

Doing PT on my frozen shoulder. It's taking forever. Pain had lessened and getting a little more range of motion.

Redid my calories finally to adjust for drop in activity after Yeti. Also, trying to get back to eating better.

Ok, I will try to check in more lol

ETA it's also been a struggle because sleep has been difficult with my shoulder. It's getting back to normal now that pain is much lower and I can get more comfortable
  • swenson19d
    Options
    oh @RunsOnEspresso Frozen shoulder? ugh gurl that is awful! It was terrible. PT did not help me one bit until I hit the "thawing" stage. I think the steroid shots helped. I had it from November 2019 to September 2020. It'll be great to see you around her more often. I get lonely being the running thread outcast LOL! I think this summer will be a potential turning point for me. Good to hear the vaccine is over and done with and you survived.

Keep us updated on your progress. I need some motivation!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @swenson19d PT seems to be sloooooowly helping. I can almost see under my arm pit to shave & put on deodorant 🤣

Today's small victory:
    I had to go into the office to finish an I9 verification. My supervisor always has chocolate in her office. I normally eat 2-3+ servings during my in office day. I resisted having any! I almost went & got a serving because I'm hungry but I know if I eat one serving I will go back for more.
  • swenson19d
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso yay! for the win over chocolate!!!! and underarms! LOL! I freaked out when I couldn't rotate my arm. The deo was a struggle. I shaved (occasionally) with DH's trimmers. I attached a stretchy PT band to the cat shelf above the couch and would grab it to stretch the arm out. Then I graduated to laying outside on the porch and reached my arms up, back, over and around. Once it got to the point of pushing through the tight pain, it was fine. No limitations currently. Dr. Google said it can last 3 years. My ex mother in law had it and said she never regained strength or ROM. But she isn't a runner. We push through the uncomfortable.

Plan a good dinner and stay out of that chocolate!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 Poor grey cat. I hope he got some relief from the pain. Moving is very stressful. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Once your settled and get into your new routine, you'll be back in shape in no time.

@RunsOnEspresso Sorry it's not been the best of months for you. Glad your pain is subsiding and you are able to sleep better. That has to make you feel better overall. Yay for resisting the chocolate!

I'm tired, so just a quick update. I finally got my taxes completed. The program wasn't working again this morning. I called for help. She had me update Google Chrome. Due to very slow internet, it was taking forever, so told her we would get off the phone and I would call back if it didn't work. Took about 45 minutes. Didn't work. Wasn't in the mood to call back right then as I was having a visual migraine. So took a short nap. Decided to try one more time before I called for help. Voila. It magically started working. Got them done in about 2 hours. Good news is I am getting a refund this year. First time in ages. Bad news is, since they still think I haven't paid last year's taxes I'm 99.9% sure they will keep the refund as partial "payment" for what I "owe."

Other irritating news is that I have been speaking with a VA Social Worker about my cousin. She called today and had been able to get the status of his updated Aid & Attendance claim I submitted last June. I have asked about it three times. Each time, I was told it was still in the development stage where they collect the needed documents. Ummmm no. She was able to find out that they will not process it because I sent it in before he actually became a resident of the assisted living facility. I have to refile! They had told me that I could send it in before he got there and I even put in the cover letter that if that wasn't allowed to let me know. Nothing. She was very mad that they had not told me that.

• RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Good choices yesterday. Went out today for an easy run. Came home, had coffee, took a shower and got a bloody nose again. At least it's not gushing blood but just kind there.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    So allergies always cause you to get a nose bleed @RunsOnEspresso ? I hope the pollen goes away soon and you stop doing that. At least it didn't start until after you got home today. I guess that's better?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    So allergies always cause you to get a nose bleed @RunsOnEspresso ? I hope the pollen goes away soon and you stop doing that. At least it didn't start until after you got home today. I guess that's better?

Its allergies and dry air. I haven't had one in like 10 years and now I've had 2 in 2 weeks lol
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d - that is so funny but not funny about Cori and the bag. I hope he learns to play with them again and isn't afraid.
    Just as I thought, our flying ants are now gone. I am sure it was a migratory thing but I am still glad we are doing the fumigation since they have taken up residence in our attic.
    @CMorning99 - I am so sorry about Grey cat! I hope his eye is ok and he settles in to living in the apartment. Are both cats going to stay there with your DH? Definitely make sure you get the trash tossed out before the movers come. DH's aunt had them actually pack up the trash and moved it along with all their belongings!
    @RunsOnEspresso - I have heard of many people with underlying autoimmune issues having problems with the 2nd vaccine. I hope you are feeling better now! I also had a frozen shoulder years ago. It is how I met my favorite ortho (who moved on to doing patient advocacy and is no longer seeing patients). It did take forever to get the range of motion back and be pain free. I remember going to PT and it hurt so much but it definitely helped eventually.
    Have you tried a saline spray for your nose when it is so dry out? I use it at night and it seems to help so I don't get the bloody noses so much.
    @quilteryoyo - I really hope you can get the whole IRS thing straightened out. You know they won't give you any interest on the funds they hold onto while figuring it all out but they surely would penalize you on top of what you owe for being late.
    Also it is so frustrating about the paperwork for your cousin. Do you have to just resubmit the same papers? I would think they could just process it now that he is there. Seems ridiculous to make you do it all over again. So much bureaucracy!!

I am doing ok got a run in yesterday that was pretty good but my hamstring is really sore today. Two steps forward, one step back. I planned to get out for another run today but ended up just walking. I wanted to take advantage of the cool weather while it is here and tomorrow I have and appointment to take Hilde to early in the morning so likely not going to get a run in. Fortunately the cooler weather is supposed to stick around until the middle of next week, then get hot again.
    We have been cooking more, smoking meat and grilling things to get food out of the freezer. Tonight is grilled chicken with rice pilaf and green beans. Last night leftover smoked tenderloin. I have pretty much stopped HelloFresh. It was getting to be too much and didn't fit well with what we have going on these days.
    I am still struggling to figure out lunch things that I like and I am not to lazy to fix. I am not really fond of sandwiches or soup from a can and I haven't felt like making salads everyday but that seems to be what I like best. 🤷🏻‍♀️ just frustrating as I never seem to want much of anything but then end up not consuming nearly enough calories.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber I will not owe any fees for the taxes, but it's frustrating. And, I know I'll get the refund eventually. But..... it should have been taken care of last August, the first time I called and they found the check! As for the VA. I have to refile. The social worker and I lamented about the fact that they don't just keep the paperwork until they are supposed to get there, call the facility to see if he is there, then proceed. I'm really frustrated because I included this line in the cover letter with the forms last June: "I was told by the Pension Center last week that we could start this paperwork before he actually arrived at the facility. If that is not correct, please let me know." I plan to write my congressman because it is ridiculous that they didn't let me know it was just sitting there and the three times I called to ask they said it was "in the development stage." They had plenty of opportunities to let me know I needed to refile.

Sorry your hamstring is giving you so much trouble. At least you are doing what you can. Hope it gets better soon.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    Why am i a mess...
    I have heard that coming up on an anniversary or birthday of a loss can be just as bad as when it happened. I am miserable and cry or sleep, am exhausted all the time. I think my stress bucket is full and tiny things make me cry.
    I overlooked putting my antidepressant in my pill organizer. Today I felt as if i had withdraw symptoms so I checked the organizer. No antidepressant for 4 days. No wonder I was doing worse. I see a tree and think "that's a good one to hang from"... railroad... hmm I can lay on it... I cried in my car wednesday for the hour between classes. I cry at any song that triggers "Alex", and they all do. The hip replacement possibility, and struggling to pass this do or die care plan, I am tired and want to sleep past this part. I cried in clinical when my instructor asked how long ago I lost Alex. DD is dating men from the internet and I think the worst, constantly.
    I set a goal to get 2500 words in this assignment today and have made it to 700. The finished assignment will be 10,000-ish. I got to get with it somehow.

I swear this is purgatory.

I rescheduled the hip consult for the end of May, I need the day to work on school stuff. I want buttermilk biscuits and milk gravy to console my soul. and a nap or a coma...

ok... two more weeks of school work. I bought Alex a baby Buddha for his birthday in 2 weeks. It is his birthday that makes me a mess. any suggestions? just cry it out for now? crying is fine. I hate the headache though.

Dh bought 3 packages of cookies and I gave 2 of them to the dogs. hehe. ok i did eat some first. they were awful. I'd faceplant in some ben and jerrys though.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d Birthday's are hard. Especially the first one after someone has died. Start taking the antidepressant again. Crying is fine and I would expect you to. Please, though, if you keep having the thoughts of suicide, talk to a professional. Also, maybe you could write Alex a letter and read it to him, or burn it and let the smoke go to heaven to him. Tell him everything that you are feeling - anger, frustration, love, etc. Tell him the things you love about him and how you will carry on with those things in his honor. Whatever comes to mind. I think that would help you to get those feeling out. Writing about mine always helped. Also, I did have a chaplain that I talked to a lot after John, husband, died. I don't think I would have made it without her. Someone who wasn't family, that would listen and not judge, and make me figure out the answer to my own questions.

You have so much on your plate too. Is there anything that you can put off?

I don't know if any of this will help, but it's what came to mind. Once you make it past the first one, you can be proud of yourself and know that you wont' have to face that "first" ever again. Hugs and prayers.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @swenson19d Birthday's are hard. Especially the first one after someone has died. Start taking the antidepressant again. Crying is fine and I would expect you to. Please, though, if you keep having the thoughts of suicide, talk to a professional. Also, maybe you could write Alex a letter and read it to him, or burn it and let the smoke go to heaven to him. Tell him everything that you are feeling - anger, frustration, love, etc. Tell him the things you love about him and how you will carry on with those things in his honor. Whatever comes to mind. I think that would help you to get those feeling out. Writing about mine always helped. Also, I did have a chaplain that I talked to a lot after John, husband, died. I don't think I would have made it without her. Someone who wasn't family, that would listen and not judge, and make me figure out the answer to my own questions.

You have so much on your plate too. Is there anything that you can put off?

I don't know if any of this will help, but it's what came to mind. Once you make it past the first one, you can be proud of yourself and know that you wont' have to face that "first" ever again. Hugs and prayers.

you guys are my people to talk too. I'm just sad, DD would miss me and Bear too. I know Alex wants me to finish nursing school. I am back on the antidepressant. DD said it might take me a few days to get to a therapeutic level again. I put off the hip consult. I have the journals I bought at @RunsOnEspresso 's suggestion and haven't taken the time to use them. After the school semester, I can make a point to do that. I don't think it suicidal thoughts, just sadness and no way of making it go away.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I use Flonase daily but funny enough the saline spray gives me nose bleeds 🤣
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Hey all.

Missed you all the last week, been having a blast - see post over on usual thread.

I've gained 4kg (9lb) in the last month!! That's me back to January weight. Sigh.

But had way too much fun.
    Still on holiday for another week, but going to try rein it in a bit... Sigh.