Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile - hope you are feeling much better and are able to get out for a walk. It takes a while to get that energy level back after you have been sick no doubt though you will soon be right back at it! That was so funny about your mom. Were you born in Italy?
    Crazy about your power company response. Here it would be all over the news if they took hours to repair something, especially something minor. Have to wonder if they sent the tree trimmers back out just to make sure it looked like they were being proactive and productive. Trimming like that here in the spring would also result in an outcry with people hitting Next-door and/or the City's phone lines to complain.
    Also one thing you might look into. That I found out a while ago and have been fortunate enough to not need is your home owners insurance might cover any food loss in an outage like that. You just have to document what you spent and what had to be thrown out. I wouldn't do it for a few things in the fridge but I have known people who loss hundreds of dollars in frozen foods and meat.

@RunsOnEspresso - we have been doing more intuitive eating too but kind of by accident. There have been a few nights lately where we just haven't felt hungry for dinner so we didn't have any. Thought I would be starving the next day but I was fine. I do still log and try to make sure I have at least a minimum amount of calories though.

@avidkeo - with your training schedule and eating your normal foods, I know you will be back down to where you were in no time.

@quilteryoyo - so glad your cousin is finally getting some much needed care and attention. I hope they can figure out what is going on and/or get his medications adjusted.
    I sometimes eat when I am bored or stressed too. I have started asking myself before I eat something, especially a snack if I am really hungry or would a sip of water help just as well. Sometimes I eat whatever it is anyways but more often than not I can honestly say I am not hungry and no I don't need to eat this. I think it was @ddmom0811 who used to do that, maybe or someone else 🤷🏻‍♀️

@swenson19d - how is the do or die assignment going?

I ran in the heat and was pretty wiped out when I got home. Hopefully the heat will be gone tomorrow cause I am tired already of it being over 90 and it is still just April and not August. I thought when I weighed myself after my shower that my water % would be way down and I was ready to discount any reading I got. My weight though was actually up a lb and water was right where it should be at 50% so not dehydrated. Overall since the 1st of the year I am down 5.5lbs! I am pretty excited about that after nearly 4 years without a real drop and seemingly going up or just staying up and flat. I am hoping I can keep it going or I wouldn't even mind staying where I am for a little while.
    We had Chinese takeout last night and I ended up with a migraine right before I went to bed. I slept great (9 hours!) but still had a headache when I got up this morning but it went away when I went out for my run.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,958 Member
    Options
    @shanaber That is hot for April! You are doing great with your weight. Keep doing what you are doing.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I hate heat. I'm really enjoying going into winter here. Running (overall) gets so much easier. I always think of @runs_on_espresso in the heat where she is. Yuck.

My motto is I never regret not eating something. Wish I'd remembered that when I ate a tub of ice cream while stressed on holiday...
  • shanaber
    Options
    When it is hot where I am I always think of @RunsOnEspresso too. It is typically 10 degrees or more hotter for her!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Intuitive eating: It's hard. I tend to stress/anxiety eat or eat out of boredom. I'm trying not to do those things. I feel hungry a lot so I am also working to make better choices. More fruits, vegetables, salads etc

Heat: ugh, it's coming. I shouldn't complain because the mornings have been so great lately!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Ok so today's weigh in & monthly measurements...

I forgot to do it when I woke up. So I realized after my coffee. Tried to empty the bladder 🤣 and weighed in anyway. I was up .1 lol I may try again tomorrow morning to see.

Measurements down about a 1.5" over all measurements. My thighs went up .5" otherwise it would be 2" down overall. Stupid thighs. 🤣
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great @runsonespresso .

I have been resisting buying chips and dip, a huge weakness of mine, for a couple of months. I caved on Thursday. Finished off the bag last night. Scale today reminded me why I shouldn't do that! I know it is mostly water weight, but gained a little over a pound from last week and put me 2 pounds above my goal weight. I'm not really worried. I figure if I only give into the urge every 3 months or so, it'll be okay. Why oh why am I such a carb addict?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @quilteryoyo You need to find single serve chips & dips. I do that with snacks I know I binge. If it's already portioned I do fine. If I have to portion I binge.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso - that increase in your thighs is probably all muscle from all the running! At least that is how I would consider it. Great loss though - I usually lose inches before any actual weight drop.
    @quilteryoyo - I think you are fine having a guilty pleasure once every 3 months! I do like the idea of single serve though. I do that with graham sticks - the kids snack bags, otherwise I would eat way too many too.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @runs_on_espresso I agree with @shanaber, it's all muscle!

@quilteryoyo I agree with @runs_on_espresso hehe. Single serve all the way! Nothing wrong with loving carbs!

I was up and down last night, peeing every 2 hrs. Was annoying. Thought I'd have a good woosh this morning, but no. Still a decent drop though but not my usual dramatic loss. Oh well, I'm not entirely surprised. Made good choices yesterday so happy about that.

Going for a walk soon - active recovery for the win! It's the last day of school holidays here so we are taking the kids to a local "pioneer village" think 1800s way of living, so a museum with a train ride that sort of thing. Should be fun!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Single serving chips would probably help. Don't think I've ever seen single serving dip. If I did, I'm sure it wouldn't be what I would consider a "single serving." LOL

Agree with everyone else @RunsOnEspresso Bigger thighs due to increase muscle. Or, if you're like me, you must measured at a different spot.

You are doing great @Avidkeo . I hate it when I have to get up to pee every hour or two. Hope you had fun at the pioneer village.

I am doing okay with food today. Took a 2 mile walk this morning and then helped mow mom's lawn this afternoon. I rode the riding mower, and push mowed just a little, so didn't burn many calories doing that. It did take time though and still wore me out. I came home and planted some flowers mom gave me that she had dug out of her flower beds, then I was done.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I try to measure the same spot. I have this tiny indent (probably not the word I'm looking for) that I measure at every time. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not worried. It's just weird because it's been the same measurement for years lol
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Happy May Y'all.....when the heck did that happen? Where have I been? It just seems to fly by!

I did a speed read here....You are all so strong....just keep dealing with life and moving on.

I have been busy with work, my pup....still hanging in there, trying to offer help to the kids when they ask. I am spending too much time logging food and doing my workouts but that is my focus these days. I am learning some things so that is good:

What I have learned:
    -I cannot ignore rest days - I just do not recover fast so the strength calendar I am following has 2 built in recovery type days that involve yoga/stretch.

-Having a Macro coach (signed up for a 3 month package to learn all about it) has made me accountable....I need to send her MFP daily food diary showing what Ive eaten and how I am hitting my macro numbers. Its time consuming. But I am learning more about the timing and level of types of "fuel" and how your goals will make it vary....ie for me it's strength right now as I fight osteoporosis. So I am eating more protein and making sure I have carbs before and after a workout. Also learned that wine is counted as a carb but its obviously empty nutritionally so if I am going to drink it, I don't get to count it in my carb macro goal until I have hit my real food number then I add it in and its just wasted overrage of calories. Makes you really question every drink you have, which I guess I need hahahaha.

I am trying to add more running to my week so I am doing shorter rides coupled with shorter runs during the week. Too much cardio actually takes away from strength gains. Still doing longer rides once a week if I can fit it in.

We are looking forward to visiting our son in NYC at the end of the month....he moves back to TX end of June. It should be interesting since I have not been in NYC since prepandemic. I hope that city survives....its a special place.

Heading out for an outside walk to "recover". It's already getting too warm here.

Cheers to a great week!
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    just a drive by.
    I've been reading tid-bits but trying to stay focused on school.

@shanaber I finished the MCP at 43 pages. I submitted it 24 hours before it was due. It was not cleaned up. The deadline was changed and I second guessed it when I laid down. "what if it is due now and you get a zero?". So I submitted it.that's fine. I told my instructor that I left off a reference and they were not formatted correctly. Better than a zero if i was wrong on the due date. I was stepping away from it for 24 hours so I could get a fresh look at corrections and clean up. but oh well. no grade yet.

Final exam in 25 minutes. then one on Wednesday, then I am free to clean this nasty house for the summer.

Dh bought Bob a buddy. She will be here today. I named her Babs. She mops. Now if i can get him to do the Alexa so they can be used easier and not just my me...

Cori
    Sole another tortilla. I found it in a cardboard box they play in. What is up with him and tortillas? He brought in a baby turtle yesterday. WHat? you crazy cat. I set it free. He still has no manners, is rude, annoying, cute, lovey, playful and a good boy.
    @rheddmobile Any luck yet on a kitten? I notice more and more post on FB about them each day.

Best get ready for my exam.
    I think I can make a 55 and keep my B. Should be fine as long as I dont have a stroke.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d Glad you got your plan done and hope you do well with it. Also hope the exam went well. I know you are looking forward to a break from school. Silly Cori!
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I am finally at my new base and hotel living. DH and I were so busy the last 2 weeks buttoning everything up up north and getting him settled into his apt. Because of that I have not run in 2 weeks and we are.out.EVERY.meal!!! I can literally see the new fat!

I’ve really developed a taste for eating out and good food, I’m gonna have to retrain my brain. I have a few healthy frozen meals in my hotel room, and luckily this base is pretty remote as well so I can’t just go get something else. But I am going through a tantrum about it anyway LOL

I got here Sunday night and today I took the day before checking into my new unit to get some urgent things done. I didn’t realize how emotionally hard it was going to be. I think every other trip I was so laser focused because I had such a short time, I didn’t have time to be sad. But for some reason now that I’m here permanently, it really hurts.

The ranch looks like I’ve been gone a year not four months. I’ve got weeds waist high and things falling apart. Luckily the house still looks OK and the rodents didn’t move in.

But now that I am living solo for the next couple months at least, I’m really going to take this time to focus on me. Remember to put on lotion after shower, use a facemask, eat better, and really love myself.
  • CMorning99
    Options
    Good morning folks!

Just thought I would come in for a minute, more for myself to set the intention for the day.

I plan to get up early and go for a walk around the new base, the roads are so confusing here, they are not laid out in the grid, but more like a game pick up sticks in the 1970s. Somehow I ended up staying in bed drinking coffee listening to the coyotes sing along to reveille at 7 AM.

The nice thing is, at my old base we are already hitting the mid 90s during the day, here they’re still in the low to mid 60s. But I have been noticing that the sun is a heck of a lot more intense. While it is cool, the sunburns are real.

I’m still currently waiting on my unit to tell me where to report this morning. We’re going to have to have a discussion on professionalism. Although I hear the rumors that this career field notoriously lax that and are just a bunch of disgruntled so-and-so‘s. We’ll see if we can change that.

Going to be very mindful of calories as well. Here’s to a successful and fulfilling day!
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Final exam raw score 88. MCP 80.9... eek! I needed at least an 80 to pass the class (you can have an A and still fail d/t this assignment and your clinical eval). DH gave me a chewing for not putting in the effort... oh back it up ol' man. I busted my butt, bought new books for reference, made an appointment for help with the instructor, even asked a peer for help, which is not allowed. I worked hard. Pharmacology exam tomorrow. Think I can make a 65 and still make it out with a B.

Be well today!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 Glad you are settled in, sort of, at the new base. I hope today goes well for you. I have forgotten. What career field did you move into? Making big changes and seeing how quickly things on a farm/ranch can get out of control is overwhelming. Glad you have a plan to take care of yourself. That's important.

@swenson19d Yay for getting an 88 on your exam and squeaking by on your MCP. Wishing you luck on your pharmacology exam tomorrow.

Mom and I just had a short visit with my neighbor who turned 90 years old today. We tried to beat the storms, but still got wet from heavy rain getting back home. We took her a plant for her patio as a gift. She said, "I'm not going to tell you thank you for the plant because if I do, it will die." I guess that's an old wives tale I'd never heard before. Mom had. I guess that is an backdoor way of saying thank you without saying thank you. LOL I know she really liked it.

I brought a piece of her homemade birthday cake home with me and promptly ate it with a cup of coffee. It was a yummy yellow cake with strawberries on top. I logged it as a strawberry short cake, because I have no idea what it really was. Maybe it's close on the calories.
  • CMorning99
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I moved into Traffic/Cargo management. For now they have put me in charge of the quality assurance shop. I guess I can’t break A lot in there with my inexperience LOL. These poor guys get inspected constantly, constant spot checks and write ups and exercises. No wonder why this is a disgruntled career field. I’ve gone from a career field that is more in art and science, to one that is completely run by regulations and rules. Ouch.

Food was good, I should be able to have a decent dinner tonight. One of the cool things is that I can now wear my Apple Watch at work, in my old job we could not have any electronics due to security. So I will get to see how many calories I burned today. I really should go out for at least a walk, but I am beat. So much talking and introducing myself. I’m going to say though, they’re not the friendliest folks. I’m gonna have to win them over.

I need to call the dentist tomorrow, I think I chipped a tooth and it’s pretty sore. Thankfully not horribly painful, but I don’t wanna deal with it.

Another perk of this new career field is there are shorter hours. They seem to typically work from 8 to 9 in the morning to 3 to 4 in the afternoon. This means I can go running and not have it be dark. My last job I had to be in the office by 7:30. I was warned however that we have coyotes, bobcats, and occasional mountain lion, and a severe tick infestation… Oh and rattlesnakes. This could be interesting.

Since I don’t have to be in until 9 o’clock tomorrow, I might as well go for a run. I need to get back into that.