Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d I looked up the documentary I remembered and it’s called appropriately enough “A hole in the head.” The woman is still alive and is actually a countess and cousin to the late Queen Mother!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Feilding

There’s a nice fully kitted out xterra - the step up from ours - less than a hundred miles from my husband’s parents who really want to see us. If the inspection looks good we may buy it and drive up there in a rental and get it, would give us an excuse to be away for a few days. Fingers crossed. Good news is not only are they giving us a decent price (blue book is already higher than we paid for it) but they are reimbursing us for the tires we upgraded. Still not enough to replace it but within the same ballpark. Since we bought it outright gap insurance wouldn’t have helped.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @swenson19d I have no idea. Someone said it is really bad all over TN right now and it IS normally a fall/winter/spring thing, so it is later in the year that it normally occurs. We speculate that it could be because we started not wearing masks, but the kids never did. So we really don't know.

@RunsOnEspresso One of the things I want to do to my house is also replace the carpet. I'm thinking about going with the bamboo hardwood, but, like you, can't really make up my mind.

@Avidkeo So sorry you are having family issues. You are doing great to avoid binging. I hope you enjoy the new toy. Sounds like a good compromise.

@rheddmobile Hope the new xterra works out and you can get away for a few days.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo Hugs to you. Reach out if you need someone to vent/talk/rant to.

@quilteryoyo I want some kind of wood laminate but can't decide on wood/color. There are so many variations!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @avidkeo- That's so cool you got an E-bike. No parking for staff? Ridiculous!!! Hope DH shapes up. And great job not binging.

We got laminate many years ago in our family room and the kids' rooms in our house. It worked out great with dogs and kids. Wood is nicer but expensive. We got wood in our bedroom about a year ago but the guy that installed it didn't do the best job. He was very inexpensive. It started moving and there were gaps in it. DH figured out a way to fix it but what a pain. It looks beautiful though. But I already scratched it.

Never heard of cars being left in FL! But I'm in central Florida. There is a thing where people anchor their boats in the water and leave them. I didn't learn about it until we got the beach condo and I went on a boat tour with my DD. He showed us a very expensive boat that has been parked for several years right in the bay!

I went for a run and had to rush back for the bathroom. I worked on hills (the bridge over the intercoastal way). I realized something. TMI ahead. My BMs have been so off for a few months. I have an appt with the doctor to get a colonoscopy but the doctors are so backed up (no pun intended) it is weeks away. Anyway, the realization is that running is what kept me going and cleaned out! Since I got Peloton and don't run as much, that is why I think I'm not going the way I need to. Need to mix in more runs. I go to my mom's next week and have no gym or Peloton so running it will be!

Kids are on their way to the condo to stay 2 nights, but it is stormy all weekend. Oh well! Still fun.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @avidkeo I got a package yesterday, the laptop returned. Jeez. DH resent it and the same tracking number still applies. They must not have liked the box with the hazard label on it for the battery. IDK. fingers crossed. My Dh is a kitten too. I mean, they're are days he just eats away at my emotional health. Marriage is hard work. I have learned a lot from this one and some days it seems we are still getting to know one another and settling in our unique grove after 11 years. Don't stay in a bad marriage, but don't view the challenges as impossible. Score on the ebike!

@rheddmobile YAY! so glad you may have a replacement vehicle soon! Thanks for the title of the movie, I am going to try to find it.

@RunsOnEspresso Alex and I put in the laminate in our old house. It wasn't hard to do. It will shift like @ddmom0811 mentioned. Just get a pull bar to wack it back in. We did the house in one color, Alex wanted carpet, and my bedroom was in the darker wood. I know they have so many different designs now.

@quilteryoyo Interesting thought about the kids not wearing masks and RSV. I have a niece in Texas and it is an issue there too.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    There are so many choices @RunsOnEspresso . It would make it easier if there were only two or three. LOL Congrats on the loss of weight and inches!

@ddmom0811 My tummy was bothering me before I left for my run this morning, so decided to keep it to a route that was closer to home, mom's, and my friend/neighbor. I did have the "feeling" of needing to go around mile 7, I think, but was able to walk for a little more than I normally would have and it subsided. I stopped for water at the end of my driveway when I was almost done. It must have been the water, because I suddenly REALLY had to go. I walked slowly up my driveway (1/4 mile) and made it. Then, really didn't have to do a lot. Anyway, went back out and finished my 9 mile long run on the driveway. Disaster averted. I'm glad you were able to make it back. I, too, find that running helps to clear me out. It's still good that you are getting a colonoscopy. Hope it all turns out okay. Enjoy the kids!

@swenson19d Interesting that RSV is popping up everywhere this time of year.

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    swenson19d wrote: »
    @avidkeo I got a package yesterday, the laptop returned. Jeez. DH resent it and the same tracking number still applies. They must not have liked the box with the hazard label on it for the battery. IDK. fingers crossed. My Dh is a kitten too. I mean, they're are days he just eats away at my emotional health. Marriage is hard work. I have learned a lot from this one and some days it seems we are still getting to know one another and settling in our unique grove after 11 years. Don't stay in a bad marriage, but don't view the challenges as impossible. Score on the ebike!

@rheddmobile YAY! so glad you may have a replacement vehicle soon! Thanks for the title of the movie, I am going to try to find it.

@RunsOnEspresso Alex and I put in the laminate in our old house. It wasn't hard to do. It will shift like @ddmom0811 mentioned. Just get a pull bar to wack it back in. We did the house in one color, Alex wanted carpet, and my bedroom was in the darker wood. I know they have so many different designs now.

@quilteryoyo Interesting thought about the kids not wearing masks and RSV. I have a niece in Texas and it is an issue there too.

I saw it had made its way back your way lol. Well that makes sense now. What a crazy trip.

Work was insane last night. I spent all night in theatre /operating room helping with a couple of patients who came off there motorcycle and smashed their legs. Meanwhile ED/ER was crazy busy and we had a tragic death. 55 Yr old guy had just told his brother about his cancer diagnosis, and the rail of the balcony they were leaning on collapsed and they both fell several metres and the brother died in our ED. So staff yesterday were all a bit hit by that one.

Didn't have time to think about anything. We've sort of said we will talk Monday, which actually means Tuesday. I'm going to try set up a counselling session for Tuesday because we need it. He isn't keen on counselling at all.

We've been together 20 years. We've always pulled through before. But I admit I'm not willing to put up with BS anymore and am kinda one foot out the door. It's things like him not talking to me for 5 days because I gave him a look, or didn't give him sex. So not frivolous stuff.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @Avidkeo OMG about the man that fell..wow.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Avidkeo So sad about the men who fell. I hope your DH will agree to go to counseling and cooperate when there. At least you are trying and not just bailing at the first little thing, which I think a lot of couples do, esp. the younger ones. Good luck.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - I have issues sometimes when I run. Can't say it cleans me out but I seem to go through cycles which I thin are more IBS related. I am fine for a while and then it is like all hell breaks loose and every run is a challenge.
    @avidkeo - we went through some challenges too about 10 or so years ago (30+ years in). It was mostly me realizing I could speak up and didn't have to take it from dh. I don't think I even realized that for years he passively put me down when talking to me or talking to others even when I was right there. My dd pointed it out to me i.e.'why do you let him say those things to you? You are smart and accomplished.' Because we were in the same industry doing similar jobs, he was always well known for the papers he wrote, published and presented. He was shocked to discover that I was also well known even though I never published any papers. It was also about the time I started getting in shape and becoming more self-confident. I came close at one point to leaving but decided I had too much invested at that point and we worked through the issues. You really have to look at it from all sides and decide what is best for you and if you feel that you can get back to a mutually working relationship. I hope he will participate in counseling. My dh would not but it makes such a difference just to have someone to talk to.

That is so sad about the brothers! Did the one with cancer survive. I can't imagine surviving a fall like that.

We put laminated hardwood throughout our house except the living room 30 something years ago. It still looks beautiful but it is pretty scratched and worn in some areas. Our dh's puppy scratched a huge hole in her bedroom floor when he was a puppy and the family room and hallway just looks worn out. In our bedroom the floor has faded pretty significantly near the windows where the sun comes through in the morning. We never had any issues with slippage or separation or anything like that.
    With the house overhaul we are going to put in luxury vinyl everywhere, including the kitchen and new carpet in the living room (maybe). It seems like here everyone wants it all the same throughout the home so we may just go with the vinyl in the living room too. I wanted to do bamboo, have friend who put it in her house and it is beautiful, but it is so expensive!

I didn't do measurements but I did weigh in today and am down another pound - now in the low 145 range (YAY!)
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @Avidkeo I talked to DH about marriage and counseling, he is a counselor. In my mind, I'd wanna give an ultimatum but DH was wasn't keen on it. So, the only advice I have to offer is to go to counseling for yourself. We are thinking of you.

Poor bear bear
    ... is sick again. I am sure it is allergies. He'd spent quite a but of time outside the last week with me. I have an allergy headache, he is congested, coughing and sneezing, not playing and very picky with food. I gave him partly cooked rare roast yesterday and he was not interested. Cori ate so much he couldn't suffer one more bite. I am going to give Beary some Benadryl in a bit. He's resting under the blanket over my legs and doesn't want to be bothered.

Beans
    ... still has diarrhea. I might be taking two to the vet next week.

Dh
    ...won a rifle yesterday. It's kinda cool. It was given to a Trooper by the Mason's in 1978 after a couple of guys killed lots of people and two troopers, and he carried it with him his whole career. He was our state rep for a while and gave me my first Oklahoma ticket. LOL!. It's kind of an honor to have his retired service weapon. He and DH attend Mason stuff together.
    y8ptrhnkoz5p.png

I haven't done any HW all week. LOL! I gotta get on it. I've been thinking more and more about going into psych nursing (Masters). I'll feel it out this next semester with mental health nursing.

Be safe this weekend. My neighbors are back to driving in circles in the back yard... and I hear a live band warming up. I think it's gonna be a long day, with earphones.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d - do you feel like you are financing your vet's new car? I hope Beary does better with the Benadryl and doesn't need to go. How is his paw?
    We have the 'kids' driving circles and screeching tires in the church parking lot behind us nearly every night. Sometimes early but typically they seem to start around 11pm. Now they have added on setting of fireworks although last night it was over and done with around 10. Not sure why, maybe a neighbor called the cops. There are houses that are much closer to the church than we are, our long backyard is between us and them, so they get it even louder than we do. The police here have set up a quick response line for calls about fireworks so maybe that is helping. It is just too dry to be setting things off that could catch a house or yard or field on fire and result in a disaster.
    Nice rifle for dh and pretty cool to get it from a retired trooper. I used to shoot targets with my dad and my mom had a beautiful shotgun that was made for her (small and light weight with little kick). When my brother got arrested in Utah (long story) they confiscated that gun and one that was our Gr Grandfather's. They were supposed to return them to me but never did and I finally gave up fighting with them about it. My dh hates guns and didn't want one in the house anyways. It would have just been boxed up in the garage until we figured out what to do with them anyways.
    BIL is coming over for dinner. I may go for a swim now that the pool is warm. We are having hot dogs with salad and baked beans. For dessert - s'mores with dark chocolate 😊
  • swenson19d
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @shanaber Yes we are making the vet's car payment for sure! His paw looks better.
    nh0bap9j60zx.jpeg
    Pic is outside on the walk. (My floor isn't that nasty. I did clean a spot in the breakfast nook with peroxide, baking soda and soap. OMG, looks amazing so I ordered the stuff to do all the tile. The grout is light grey not goopy brown *barf). I tried to hide a Benadryl in some high calorie weight gainer vitamin for him (was goobers but nice to get some calories in Bear). He didn't eat it. I was hoping to avoid the struggle with him especially since he feels bad.
    Your afternoon sound nice. We er I am home. Dh went to town. I think he is afraid I'll set him on a project; porch, dog fence, shed, dog bathing and clipping...
    Shame about the heirloom gun. Enjoy the pool, I am so jealous. 😉
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @rheddmobile a touching event indeed. Are you going to try to go sit with them tonight? Bring blankets? Snacks? Anything that might calm her and the babies and let her know it’s “okay”? We have a swamp cooler on the back porch and it sort of dampens the firework noise. My dogs are still scared but it helps a little. I love your raccoon family.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I recently read that fireworks often make squirrel mamas abandoned their babies. It's all so sad. I don't get the allure of setting off the *kitten* my neighbors all enjoy and scaring animals.

Our dog isn't bothered too much by the sky booms. Sometimes she will bark at them but that's about it.

Our sweet rottie that passed away a few years ago HATED fireworks. And it kinda rubbed off on our old man (also passed away) although more so thunder.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Happy independence day guys. I feel for all the poor animals. And firing guns?? That gives me the creeps.

Gah Im Glad this weekend is over. Its been emotionally draining, both at home and work. Work didn't get any better, I xrayed a 3 month old who was intubated. And I xrayed people who were palliative. It was draining. And the ICU and ED staff all agreed it was one of the hardest weekends we've had in a long time. Both numbers of patients and the types of trauma we had to deal with.

On top of that I've come down sick. Nasty cold. So no work today or tomorrow.

Home life has gotten worse. No real updates but I'm not expecting this to end well. There needs to be a huge shift in how we interact to fix things and I'm not sure my husband is ready or willing for that, and I'm not prepared to live like this anymore. Trust has been broken and that's hard to fix.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d Poor Bear and Beans. I hope they get to feeling better without a vet visit.

@shanaber Sorry about you not getting the rifle back. I have a small 22 rifle that my dad got for selling some kind of salve when he was a kid. It's really cool. Looks like a BB gun.

Awww @rheddmobile . That's so cool that the racoon family felt you were their safe space. It is sad that they were so scared though. I hope maybe she realizes it's okay and won't be quite as scared tonight. I'm lucky that fireworks don't phase Tippy.

@Avidkeo Sorry for the hard weekend at work and at home. It does take both people in a relationship to make things work. Hugs!