August C25K challenge

Options

Replies

• Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I did W2D2 tonight with my oldest daughter (almost 9 years old). Besides the ridiculous heat, it was an enjoyable time. We chatted through most it and it makes me eager for the longer intervals next week. My sweet girl did great, too. She is sort of the reason that I started this whole running thing up again (I use jog, recreationally, for a short amount of time when I was in college and really enjoyed it but got away, gained weight and was nervous to get back). We see 5k's at so many events that we attend every year and she was asking if we could ever do one. I said, we would need to practice running. She said, so let's practice!! That was May and I struggled for a few months until I found C25K. I can't wait to do a 5k with her!! <3

My son will be 9 in Jan and he ran cross country the past two years and loves to run (he's not doing it this year cause the boys are all doing flag football). He was running 8.5 minute miles in cross country but maybe he'll slow down to run with old mom. I'd love to do a 5k with him when I get a bit faster. I run so early in the AM that I'm not sure when I'll train with him but we'll work it out. I'm hoping that we can all do a "Monster Mash 5k" for Halloween:smile:
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    This morning was W7D3 I wish I could say I was feeling good during my runs but I don't:frown: I'd like to not think about quitting before the halfway mark! Thursday gets bumped up another 3 minutes :noway: I know I can do it but I'm still nervous. I'm also taking Fri, Sat & Sun off because we are camping...super nervous for a Monday morning run. Then Wednesday will be my first run at 5 am before the kids go back to school :ohwell: I know I can do it...I just freak out a little thinking too far ahead. I'll just take it one run at a time
  • AmandaForKeeps
    AmandaForKeeps Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A monster mash 5k sounds fun!!! II'm going to search to see if that have something similar around me!! She would love that!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Back from W6D2 just now. Had acidy legs almost all the way and I felt like I was moving stone around today. Wish this excess weight would disappear already. At least I'm done with the intervals now, though; something definitely worth celebrating!

When looking at the distance-based programme, I just can't grasp how it's possible to move as much as 3.6 km at this stage!? During week 7, it's as much as 4 km, during week 8 4.6 km (yikes) and week 9 the full 5 km. Has anyone here managed such distances?
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Back from W6D2 just now. Had acidy legs almost all the way and I felt like I was moving stone around today. Wish this excess weight would disappear already. At least I'm done with the intervals now, though; something definitely worth celebrating!

When looking at the distance-based programme, I just can't grasp how it's possible to move as much as 3.6 km at this stage!? During week 7, it's as much as 4 km, during week 8 4.6 km (yikes) and week 9 the full 5 km. Has anyone here managed such distances?

I used the RunDouble app distance version throughout and managed those distances. As long as you don't worry about how fast you are going, the distances are doable. You will surprise yourself!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    A monster mash 5k sounds fun!!! II'm going to search to see if that have something similar around me!! She would love that!

I did it when I first moved here (WAY before kids) and it was called the Space Race and everyone dressed up. Super fun! We also have a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving that sounds fun. A great way to move on such a fattening holiday!
  • AmandaForKeeps
    AmandaForKeeps Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There is a Turkey trot in Detroit (near enough to me) but I am not comfortable going into the city (I grew up in Californian and have only gone into detroit for sporting events). I didn't find a monster mash type 5k, but there is a very local jingle jog 5k in December where people where antlers and red noses and such. I think that sounds like a fun 5k for us!

I did w3d1 today. Very humid out but the run part was nice. I was going pretty slow at the very end, but I'm excited at how this program is going so far. I listened to music for the first time today, too. Just used pandora, so not sure about the bpm, but it did make the route seem shorter. The next couple of days are suppose to be thunderstormy and then the weekend is so busy, but I hope to get w3 done before Labor Day!
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    W2D1 in a few hours time!

I meant to do it on Sunday, but left my phone at home. So I just made up intervals for 20 mins. At the end I did a few lots of 2min run, 1 min walk intervals - so I'm thinking I should go alright today!

Sounds like you are well on your way! We had a couple runs that where we had to improvise because of technology glitches. What can you do, right? Stuff happens. lol We just timed them the best we could and moved on.

Have fun with week 2!
  • ladytrixibelle
    ladytrixibelle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Going to do W7D2 tonight, I'm a bit nervous as I did W7D1 approximately a week ago! I've just had so much on and had a rest day last night so my calves and ankles can calm down a bit (I also play roller derby so the intense training of the last few days has really impacted them). I managed to do a 15 minute run as well as some strength training on Monday so I think I'll be able to make it, I'll just take it a bit slower than I took the 15 minutes.
  • EmilyM_1986
    Options
    Hi Everyone

After two long, frustrating weeks of rest from running, I'm officially back with the programme!

Last night I ran Week 6 Run 1 (again) and was pleasantly surprised to find it pretty straightforward, I thought I'd have struggled a bit more after such a long time off.

My shins feel fine today so fingers crossed it'll stay that way...

My boyfriend is treating me to new, properly fitted running trainers this weekend as an early birthday present too, can't wait.

Glad to see everyone else has been doing so well!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    Emily - Yeah for good shoes! After going to the running store and getting the proper shoes I had no more shin splints!

Ladytrixi - Wow Roller derby! How fun! Great job getting back at it!

Amanda - I'm for CA too, northern CA. The Jingle run sounds fun!

Today was w8d1 and I was hurting!!!!!!! Holy moly the mental of the three extra minutes just killed me. Waiting for her to say halfway seemed like a lifetime after I passed the 25 minute halfway mark! I need to change up my route so I don't know where all the "stop and halfway marks" are. My whole body is sort of achy after todays run. I'm nervous because my next run should be Sat but we are camping so I won't get it in till Monday or Tuesday. And of course the kids go back to school Monday so I have to move up my run a half hour earlier and it's still a little dark at 5. Oh well, I'll do this. I'm very determined to do the 5k without any walking come hell or high water!
  • AglaeaC
    Options

I used the RunDouble app distance version throughout and managed those distances. As long as you don't worry about how fast you are going, the distances are doable. You will surprise yourself!
    Doh. I wasn't quite thinking; it's either/or as in either time or distance. Not distance during time... *rolls her eyes at herself* Oh well.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I've just completed Week 6 and it feels great. I happened to weigh myself right before heading out and noticed the scale had gone down. Female period really makes a difference, but for some reason while I'm amidst it, I suck at telling myself it's temporary, hence a bad W6D2. Oh how I'm glad the intervals are over and done with. I'd be happy to return to other types of intervals, for the purpose of practicing speed and such, but the C25K intervals are no more!
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    With August coming to a close, I hope a September C25k challenge board opens up ;) I had to stop running due to a hip/pelvic misalignment :( But I'm starting w7 Monday! Did a run today c25k style to make sure I could handle it and I'm so pumped to finish the program! Signed up for my first 5k in October ! ^_^
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    With August coming to a close, I hope a September C25k challenge board opens up ;) I had to stop running due to a hip/pelvic misalignment :( But I'm starting w7 Monday! Did a run today c25k style to make sure I could handle it and I'm so pumped to finish the program! Signed up for my first 5k in October ! ^_^
    It's already gone :D This is what I see at your post:
    September 01, 2013 12:01 am
  • Skye_NS
    Options
    It's already gone :D This is what I see at your post:
    September 01, 2013 12:01 am

LOL AglaeaC, this is what I see on your post: August 31, 2013 6:11 pm. :smile:

It's 11:31 pm right now so I'm hanging on to August for 29 more minutes!
  • Skye_NS
    Options
    Finished week 6 yesterday. Had lots of ups and downs this week. The best run was w6d1, where I was able to pour some extra energy into the last 2.5 minutes and take the lead from the guys. It felt so great to finish strong! The worst was w6d2. I don't know if it was humidity, or I was over confident, or what, but I really struggled with that one. Thought I was going to have to stop in the middle of the second run. Even though I suffered through to the end, it really shook my confidence going into w6d3. Day 3 wasn't bad, the weather was a bit cooler, I kept a steady pace and other than a small stitch it was pretty uneventful. It was a wonderful boost to finish the long run after having so much trouble the 'day' before! It just goes to show that you can't let one bad run get you down! Leave it in the past and keep on trying - every new run is a fresh start!
  • ladytrixibelle
    ladytrixibelle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great work Skye! Now it's onto the no-interval runs... you can do it :) I completely agree with the bad runs not being an indicator of the next run - each run is unique.
    Did the W7d2 and W7d3 - managed to do W7d3 outdoors which I've never done before, and man did it hurt! My calves hated me. I think I'm going to do W8d1 on the treadmill tonight but try to do some more "gentle" running outdoors, such as 15 minute intervals, until I get used to it as it's nice running along the river for the scenery.
  • EmilyM_1986
    Options
    Hi All,

Week 6 Run 3 completed yesterday. It seemed like the time flew by, and I actually ran faster for the last five minutes.

My new running trainers are super comfy too - no shin issues :happy:

Can't wait to get started on Week 7!
  • Skye_NS
    Options
    I'm really glad to see people are still posting on this thread... I kinda missed everyone. lol

Ladytrixbell, I really enjoy the runs without intervals. With the intervals, I always found myself worrying about when the next chance to walk would be based on how tired I thought I was. Without them, I can just... run. I haven't done any running on a treadmill yet, to be honest I'm a little worried I would end up being featured on YouTube 'treadmill fails' with my coordination! :laugh: Where did you try running outside - sidewalk, trail or grass? I think your legs could react differently to each...

EmilyM - congrats on the new trainers and completing week 6! Glad you didn't have any shin issues!