August C25K challenge

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I just did W4D1 this morning, I'm loving it. I was doing a workout before I went out, but didn't this morning and it was so much easier, what was I thinking. So that's what I will do from now on, plus I get out with the sunrise, this morning was all fog, could barely see, it was so peaceful and quiet. I think my favorite thing will be running, that's how I see myself in the future anyway. Not there yet, but I look forward to it. Of course the longer running stretches are coming up......but this morning was a wonderful moment.

The longer you run, the better it gets.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I think of myself as "sluggish": Slow, sticky and eating everything in sight. I think I'm going to get the snail from the movie "Turbo" on a technical t-shirt someday.
  • NiceSpydr
    NiceSpydr Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Starting Weight: 196
    Days Off Activity: Walking with the dogs and stretching.
    C25K status: Just getting started. W1D2 completed yesterday.

This thread was a good find for me. I had decided August was my "get in gear" month.
  • stellalagerfeld
    Options
    Hello everyone! I started c25k sometime end of March this year. Now, I'm only on W4. I had to stop several times due to minor injuries and yes it took me that long to figure out how to deal with one very persistent injury. But hopefully, all the "birthing pains" are now over. Not that I expect it to be easy all the way.

My starting weight was 168lbs. I know I have lost a few pounds since then but I haven't weighed myself yet.. Will do, will do.
    My family loves to eat and we have dessert every single day. For me though, I have given up dessert on weekdays, and only have a serving on weekends. I also cut back on carbs for dinner.

Please feel free to add me!
    I usually turn to MFP for support and motivation to keep going, waking up at 5am at least twice a week on weekdays is no easy feat.
  • EmilyM_1986
    Options
    Last night I ran Week 5 Day 1!

I thought a lot about repeating week 4 again instead but in the end decided to go for it, and it was better than i expected.

I'm still not convinced I'll get through days 2 and 3 but I'll go for it and see what happens!
  • babyrover
    babyrover Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Last night I ran Week 5 Day 1!

I thought a lot about repeating week 4 again instead but in the end decided to go for it, and it was better than i expected.

I'm still not convinced I'll get through days 2 and 3 but I'll go for it and see what happens!

Last night I completed W5D2...I didn't think I was going to get through it but I did.....now I am ready to kick me some W5D3 20 min run's butt!
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Completed W4D2 yesterday- ran inside at the gym... i have decided I much prefer outside... maybe because there is more to distract me? I feel like I'm going somewhere? I don't even think about people looking outside and commenting to their family SHE RUNS SO SLOW! I used to but now I don't care. This is for me and I don't care what they think! So far just running in my neighborhood. that will get boring soon. I think it's funny, though, to get in the car in order to drive to a running/walking track nearby. None are close enough to walk to THEN do C25K. I plan to complete week 4 on Saturday.... really looking forward to it. (NEVER thought I'd say that!)
  • addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Week 4 day 1 is done for the 2nd time. I started over after hurting my knee. It was hard, but I did it. And that feels good. I've got to say my first time through I was so much more enthusiastic. I think it might be because I've done these runs before and completed them. Maybe once I get to something totally new I will find the enthusiasm again.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hope you find the enthusiasm again!!

I just love how I get nervous about not being able to do the runs (3 minutes? 5 minutes?! uh oh what's next!) and then I always surprise myself (at least in the first half) by plugging away :) They did a great job of making the program build up your stamina and then all you need is a little mental push (or a big mental push, who am I kidding?) to make it through!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Hi to the new August runners! I just ran W3D3 and thought this is it? I'm supposed to move on to W4 now? Yikes :D I'll have to take a look at its intervals with an open mind, then decide whether I do one more W3 or try W4. Had a bit of breathing problems again today, no matter how slowly I tried to run. It's a suffocating day today though, so perhaps it will be better on Saturday.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hi to the new August runners! I just ran W3D3 and thought this is it? I'm supposed to move on to W4 now? Yikes :D I'll have to take a look at its intervals with an open mind, then decide whether I do one more W3 or try W4. Had a bit of breathing problems again today, no matter how slowly I tried to run. It's a suffocating day today though, so perhaps it will be better on Saturday.

If you did W3D3, then you can do W4D1. One thing I recommend for people who are still having breathing challenges and have slowed down is to see their doctor about exercise induced asthma. I don't use my inhaler often anymore, but it lets me run.
  • AglaeaC
    Options

If you did W3D3, then you can do W4D1. One thing I recommend for people who are still having breathing challenges and have slowed down is to see their doctor about exercise induced asthma. I don't use my inhaler often anymore, but it lets me run.
    Funny you should say that. I've self-diagnosed quite a few symptoms, but will have to have the FEV test done at some point. I will move on to W4 to see how it goes. Rather do that week extra times if needed than get stuck again.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Through dear Aglaea's chiding, I'm here!

Just started C25K and completed day 2. Woohoo!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Through dear Aglaea's chiding, I'm here!

Just started C25K and completed day 2. Woohoo!
    YES! She's here :) Nice job, hope you will have many fantastic moments in your new shoes!
  • likitisplit
    Options

Funny you should say that. I've self-diagnosed quite a few symptoms, but will have to have the FEV test done at some point. I will move on to W4 to see how it goes. Rather do that week extra times if needed than get stuck again.

I wasn't diagnosed until my late 30's and it's made all the difference.
  • jmm083
    jmm083 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I thought there was NO way I could do W5D2...8 minutes straight? But I did it tonight and you can too! I took it slow, tried to stay focused, and was so proud at the end. I will let you know how W5D3 goes!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    W4D1 done, people!

Last night I printed the programme and put it on my fridge. I keep crossing over days as I make progress and it looks very pretty. You can find it here: http://www.c25k.com/
    I tweaked the metric version to shorten the texts, made it clearer like this "5 min run, 2.5 min walk" for easy overview, and printed from Word. You can just copy-paste from the website and it formats a table automatically. Mine fits on an A4 (about the size of US letter) in portrait format after my compacting the cell info. Before I headed out, I memorized the intervals and it was very helpful.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    First I thought I'd send Varda a PM, then I thought I'd write on her profile, and now I've decided to make a Very Serious and Very Public Announcement here :)

We talked about not moving on but retaking some older weeks and at that time I felt a tiny bit of anger. I thought to myself "Who is this lady? Why is she pushing when I'm saying I really can't move on to a tougher week? Don't people realise I know myself? Pffft.", but my mind is a tricky creature and it placed a mirror in front of myself. What I saw first was what I perceived to be honesty, but what creeped out with full force was the truth. I had chickened out when my too high a speed made me feel out of breath constantly. Varda had given a simple yet powerful piece of advice; slow down. Since she repeated it so many times in various comments, I thought I'd give it a shot, considering she has already done this programme. I ended up sending a friend request as a result and small comments from her here and there are now acting as sunshine for me. To have someone say things the way they are, to listen to experience rather than always dealing with things by oneself, and as a beginner to give in return where one can is pretty amazing, so a sincere, humongous Thank You to Varda for popping in every so often! It is very much appreciated.
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    EXCUSES...EXCUSES
    I was due to run on Sat (W4D3). I was looking forward to it. Then i LET life get in the way. This is me taking responsibility for not running. As for Sunday, there were NO excuses. NONE. I just didn't do it.
    It's Monday, lots of obligations to others today. But I AM GOING TO RUN today. I am making myself this promise. For my benefit. I am worthy of a reward.... my reward is C25K. Time to myself, time to compete against my self and my blerch.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    First I thought I'd send Varda a PM, then I thought I'd write on her profile, and now I've decided to make a Very Serious and Very Public Announcement here :)

We talked about not moving on but retaking some older weeks and at that time I felt a tiny bit of anger. I thought to myself "Who is this lady? Why is she pushing when I'm saying I really can't move on to a tougher week? Don't people realise I know myself? Pffft.", but my mind is a tricky creature and it placed a mirror in front of myself. What I saw first was what I perceived to be honesty, but what creeped out with full force was the truth. I had chickened out when my too high a speed made me feel out of breath constantly. Varda had given a simple yet powerful piece of advice; slow down. Since she repeated it so many times in various comments, I thought I'd give it a shot, considering she has already done this programme. I ended up sending a friend request as a result and small comments from her here and there are now acting as sunshine for me. To have someone say things the way they are, to listen to experience rather than always dealing with things by oneself, and as a beginner to give in return where one can is pretty amazing, so a sincere, humongous Thank You to Varda for popping in every so often! It is very much appreciated.

Tears. But, really, all I can offer a word or two based on experience. It's you, your body and the program that teach you what you need to know. It's your commitment that gives you this truth. And you were right, you did need to give yourself the room to repeat in order to slow down enough to move on. I learn so much more from seeing each of you overcome your challenges than I could possibly give back.