A1c

Options

Replies

• trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    teralina2 wrote: »
    I just had my 4th of 5 diabetes education classes. I'm considered "controlled by diet", so no meds, but I too had higher than normal (130) fasting blood sugar readings. My teacher suggested I try having a bedtime snack, and it it amazing--it works! It's a small snack, and I'm careful because I don't want to bring back acid reflux (they tell you not to eat 2 hours before laying down), but you might try a small snack (I have 2T of hummus & a little sauerkraut, typically). Even when my bedtime test numbers are good (102), they're even better in the morning (94). Good luck!

And for everyone reading this--if you haven't taken diabetes education classes, do it! I am the most recently diagnosed student in my class. Others had been diagnosed 2 to 20+ years ago and had never taken the classes. They are worth your investment in yourself and imo will really help you to learn to manage the many facets of diabetes.

Yes a bed time snack helps keep the liver from dumping excess sugar while you sleep. It made a huge difference in my fasting numbers as well. I usually have Aunt Millies brand 35 calorie whole grain bread with some peanut butter.

• ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    So further good news, I just found out (because I couldn't remember) that in May my A1c was 9.4!!! Down to 6.8 in about 4 months!!!.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options

@rheddmobile Thank you for the suggestions. I believe each of my strips is $1 :# I cringe when I mess one up (or get a dud) and have to toss it because it's one less strip that month. I have a One Touch Ultra which might be why they are so expensive? It's the brand I've used from the beginning and just stuck with it for no particular reason. I appreciate you sharing about the Bayer Contour Next I'm all for accuracy!

I don't have a clue where mine rates other than the strips in comparison are quite expensive. I'll have to look it up out of curiosity now. :) I do like the sound of your meter, perhaps if I switch up meters via insurance, then buy extra strips via Amazon I will be able to track far more often. I also really appreciate the knowledge you shared on postprandial highs being a better indicator than A1C's that's something I know little about.

I use the Relion Prime. 100 strips are $17.88. I think that tracking the glucose numbers is key to seeing what works and what doesn't. The One Touch strips with insurance were more expensive than the Relion without for me.
  • teralina2
    teralina2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you ask your doc to up the number of times you should test daily on you Rx, your insurance may cover extra strips. I have a ppo with drug coverage and they cover my strips & lancets x 4 tests/day 100%.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    If you ask your doc to up the number of times you should test daily on you Rx, your insurance may cover extra strips. I have a ppo with drug coverage and they cover my strips & lancets x 4 tests/day 100%.

Great tip.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Thank you @teralina2
    Unfortunately they are very strict about it despite my doctors requests to the ins co. The policy changed 5 years or so back, I used to be allowed 4 a day which helped so much in trying to understand what foods altered my levels. Now to get more than 1 test strip a day I would need to be on insulin which currently I'm not..
  • kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I too am using the reli on prime (walmart) strips are very cheap and this allows me to test more often. You could still use your RX strip/meter for fasting test, and other to test around your meals etc.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I too am using the reli on prime (walmart) strips are very cheap and this allows me to test more often. You could still use your RX strip/meter for fasting test, and other to test around your meals etc.

Exactly! Great idea :wink: Thanks so much @kaye4health I going to go ahead and do that, deciding on a meter for good accuracy.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Woohoo! A1c came back at 4.7 - no meds but metformin - so even better than last time!

@rheddmobile, fantastic!
  • sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    So first doctor's visit after finding out I have diabetes. With home monitoring so far the numbers are very good according to the doctor. Will get a blood test in December to see what A1c level is. It was easy to give up the sugary treats, but I'm finding there are so many carbs in everything else - I keep going over the 60g limit a day. I thought whole wheat was good and yogurt also - but still carbs - learning how to eat right.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    So first doctor's visit after finding out I have diabetes. With home monitoring so far the numbers are very good according to the doctor. Will get a blood test in December to see what A1c level is. It was easy to give up the sugary treats, but I'm finding there are so many carbs in everything else - I keep going over the 60g limit a day. I thought whole wheat was good and yogurt also - but still carbs - learning how to eat right.

60g a day? When I started they suggested 60g a MEAL. Is there a particular reason your nutritionist is being so restrictive?
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

60g a day? When I started they suggested 60g a MEAL. Is there a particular reason your nutritionist is being so restrictive?

Yea mine recommends 60 per meal and 30 per snack. 60 per day seems pretty restrictive.

• sweeetypie1
    Options

I need to lose weight - maybe that's why?
  • RalfLott
    Options

If you have a dx for diabetes, have you already had an A1c test?

Anyhow, for many of us T2Ds who are carb sensitive/intolerant, a low net carb ceiling is absolutely essential in the quest for normal, non-diabetic blood glucose levels.

For example, mine seems to be in the 20-40g range, though non-dietary factors like exercise, sleep, and stress (cortisol) play important roles as well.
  • sweeetypie1
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

If you have a dx for diabetes, have you already had an A1c test?

Anyhow, for many of us T2Ds who are carb sensitive/intolerant, a low net carb ceiling is absolutely essential in the quest for normal, non-diabetic blood glucose levels.

For example, mine seems to be in the 20-40g range, though non-dietary factors like exercise, sleep, and stress (cortisol) play important roles as well.

My A1c was 9.4% - that's when I found out I have T2D - runs in my family so we were watching it every year.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    You can lose weight independently of carb restriction - the only thing that matters to weight loss is calories in versus calories out. 60g seems like a weird number, it's too high for most low carb diets and too low for the standard American Diabetic Association diet.

You mentioned testing at home, do you have a glucose meter? Have you been testing after meals or only once or twice a day? Testing is really the only way to find out how many carbs you can tolerate as an individual.

Low carb is certainly a solution that works for many diabetics, but it's not the only solution - we have people here on moderate and higher carb diets who also have well controlled diabetes. If 60g is too restrictive for you, definitely contact your doctor, ask for his reasoning, and ask if you can have an appointment with a nutritionist. It may be the doctor has a good reason for wanting you to be this restricted, or maybe you just happened to end up with one doctor who really really likes low carb. Or maybe he meant to say 60g / day and there's been some confusion.
  • amyfrogred
    amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
    Options

I'm surprised at the number also. My doctor recommended 35g of carbs for 3 meals a day, I manage to stay under 100g for the day with 4 to 5 small l meals a day. I found out if I don't get food every 3 to 4 hours I tend to over eat if I'm too hungry. You will eventually get used to the right potions that work for you and it will be less stressful every time you have a meal trying to decide what is good for you.
  • sweeetypie1
    Options
    amyfrogred wrote: »

I'm surprised at the number also. My doctor recommended 35g of carbs for 3 meals a day, I manage to stay under 100g for the day with 4 to 5 small l meals a day. I found out if I don't get food every 3 to 4 hours I tend to over eat if I'm too hungry. You will eventually get used to the right potions that work for you and it will be less stressful every time you have a meal trying to decide what is good for you.

Talked with a diabetic counselor and she said 45-60 per meal. I'm guessing the doctor misunderstood my question.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    amyfrogred wrote: »

Talked with a diabetic counselor and she said 45-60 per meal. I'm guessing the doctor misunderstood my question.

Oh good, I wondered if that was the situation! That ought to make things easier for you as you learn a new lifestyle.

When I was on glimeperide I needed to eat a fair number of slow acting carbs in the morning, or I would get lows before lunch. Test often until you figure out how you handle it!