A1c

Options

Replies

• sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    So excited. My A1c is now 6.1%. It was 9.4% three months ago (when I found out I had diabetes). I take 2mg of glimepiride twice a day. I've been watching my carbs closely and eating better. I know the combination of diet and medicine has helped lower it and I'm so glad. Now to keep watching diet and lose some weight and maybe get off the medicine altogether. Good goal for next year.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    So excited. My A1c is now 6.1%. It was 9.4% three months ago (when I found out I had diabetes). I take 2mg of glimepiride twice a day. I've been watching my carbs closely and eating better. I know the combination of diet and medicine has helped lower it and I'm so glad. Now to keep watching diet and lose some weight and maybe get off the medicine altogether. Good goal for next year.

This is great news!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Just a thought.... Glimepiride, as I understand it, stimulates your pancreas to produce more insulin in order to move glucose out of your bloodstream and into storage (liver, muscles, body fat). It carries with it a risk of hypoglycemic episodes if the dose is not carefully matched to your diet.

Now that your A1c has gotten lower, I wonder if Metformin (better: brand name Glucophage) might not be a better long-term fit.....
  • amyfrogred
    amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Just a thought.... Glimepiride, as I understand it, stimulates your pancreas to produce more insulin in order to move glucose out of your bloodstream and into storage (liver, muscles, body fat). It carries with it a risk of hypoglycemic episodes if the dose is not carefully matched to your diet.

Now that your A1c has gotten lower, I wonder if Metformin (better: brand name Glucophage) might not be a better long-term fit.....
    So excited. My A1c is now 6.1%. It was 9.4% three months ago (when I found out I had diabetes). I take 2mg of glimepiride twice a day. I've been watching my carbs closely and eating better. I know the combination of diet and medicine has helped lower it and I'm so glad. Now to keep watching diet and lose some weight and maybe get off the medicine altogether. Good goal for next year.[/quote
    Great job! Did you notice any difference? More energy? I have... it's been 6 months for me on metformin. And I have.
  • sweeetypie1
    Options

Interesting. I see the doctor today - let's see what she says.
  • RalfLott
    Options

If it's not too late.. Dr. Bernstein (has treated thousands of diabetics) emphatically recommends brand name Glucophage XR over generics. There are over 15 generics approved by the FDA, and they are of variable quality. My own raging GI fireworks were pretty much extinguished by the switch! If your insurance is cooperative, you can ask your doctor to write for "Glucophage XR, Dispense as Written"
  • sweeetypie1
    edited December 2017
    Options

If it's not too late.. Dr. Bernstein (has treated thousands of diabetics) emphatically recommends brand name Glucophage XR over generics. There are over 15 generics approved by the FDA, and they are of variable quality. My own raging GI fireworks were pretty much extinguished by the switch! If your insurance is cooperative, you can ask your doctor to write for "Glucophage XR, Dispense as Written"

She is keeping me on the Glimepiride - check A1c again in 3 months. She was very surprised at my results. Told me to watch for low blood sugar - eat an apple is what she said! lol. I only get the low blood sugar if I go too long without some food - it hasn't bothered me for weeks, so I'm good.
  • RalfLott
    Options

She is keeping me on the Glimepiride - check A1c again in 3 months. She was very surprised at my results. Told me to watch for low blood sugar - eat an apple is what she said! lol. I only get the low blood sugar if I go too long without some food - it hasn't bothered me for weeks, so I'm good.

Good luck - you may be into non-diabetic territory come March!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

When I was on it, I had to watch out after strenuous exercise - it was such a relief to get off it and not have to worry about lows! Hopefully you will continue to improve and get off it next time.
  • whuffman1
    whuffman1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My first A1C was 7.7 and 6 month's later it didn't go down much to 7.0 with metformin.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    @whuffman1 - were you on a low carb diet too?
  • whuffman1
    whuffman1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

Yes
  • RalfLott
    Options
    whuffman1 wrote: »

Yes

Have you had c-peptide and antibody tests to see if you might be a late-blooming Type 1 (Type 1.5, LADA)?
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My a1c update (hope I am not hijacking a thread, I didn't know where else to post this): Back in May '17 when I started seeing the Endo it was 9.7 Current as of last week: 6.5. Also tests show I am Type 1/Type 2 due to my pancreas issues but tests for Type 1.5 - autoimmune came back negative. Pancreas levels (amalpase/lipase/CA99) are 25/under 5/10. Cholesterol good/bad levels are both in the mid 90's. Plan is to reduce Actos to 3x week, maintain Metformin at 850/2x day, and go lower carb and get exercising. OH, and I lost 77lbs in 2017.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    I get a blood draw today for A1C only - no lipids. I have a "diabetes checkup" on the 15th, and so I asked for the order to be put in before the appointment. This will give me a chance to see how the reduced metformin dose is doing. Between the weight loss and LC diet, the numbers seem pretty good and the meter is predicting a 5.4. We will see.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @2t9nty!!!
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    The doctor's office called, and he is having me stop the metformin completely. I think I am going to come clean with him about the LC diet at the appt on the 15th. I had told him I had completely ignored his advice about diet at my last appt. He laughed and said I should probably keep doing what I am doing judging by the results. He also said that almost all his patients ignore his diet advice, so I did not need to feel unusual.

I have been on 1000 mg of metformin once a day in the morning since the last appt and the 5.5 A1C then. He wants to check the A1C in three months this time, and we can get a grip on how well the numbers can stay in control.

I will keep monitoring things and have some sense of how the numbers are trending.

This is pretty much where I resolved to be when I got my diagnosis. I hope it is not too soon to go off the metformin, but I can always go back on if I have to.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Since today (1/3/2018) is the one-year "anniversary date" of my "diet", I thought I post an update here:

Weight(Jan2017): 317 lbs, Weight(Jan2018): 211.6 lbs (a loss of 105.4 lbs & about 55 more lbs to lose in 2018).
    A1c(Jan2017): 7.0%, A1c(Jan2018): 5.4%
    Nightime Insulin(Jan2017): Levemir: 60 units/night, Nightime Insulin(Jan2018): Levemir: 6 units/night
    Mealtime Insulin(Jan2017): Novolog: 100-120 units/day, Mealtime Insulin(Jan2018): Novolog: 4-6 units/day
    Fasting Glucose(Jan2017): 162 mg/dl, Fasting Glucose(Jan2018): 85-95 mg/dl
    Daily carbs(Jan2017): 150 grams, Daily carbs(Jan2018): 210 grams
    Daily calories(Jan2017): 2000 calories, Daily calories(Jan2018): 2403+ calories
    Exercise(Jan2017): None, Exercise(Jan2018): cardio & weight lifting
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The doctor's office called, and he is having me stop the metformin completely. I think I am going to come clean with him about the LC diet at the appt on the 15th. I had told him I had completely ignored his advice about diet at my last appt. He laughed and said I should probably keep doing what I am doing judging by the results. He also said that almost all his patients ignore his diet advice, so I did not need to feel unusual.

I have been on 1000 mg of metformin once a day in the morning since the last appt and the 5.5 A1C then. He wants to check the A1C in three months this time, and we can get a grip on how well the numbers can stay in control.

I will keep monitoring things and have some sense of how the numbers are trending.

This is pretty much where I resolved to be when I got my diagnosis. I hope it is not too soon to go off the metformin, but I can always go back on if I have to.

My doctor wanted to take me off metformin and I asked to stay on it, because it acts as an appetite suppressant, as well as making it easier to gain lean muscle. Since it has no side effects for me, there was no reason to go off it - but I did have to specifically ask.