A1c

Options

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    amyfrogred wrote: »
    So first doctor's visit after finding out I have diabetes. With home monitoring so far the numbers are very good according to the doctor. Will get a blood test in December to see what A1c level is. It was easy to give up the sugary treats, but I'm finding there are so many carbs in everything else - I keep going over the 60g limit a day. I thought whole wheat was good and yogurt also - but still carbs - learning how to eat right.
    So first doctor's visit after finding out I have diabetes. With home monitoring so far the numbers are very good according to the doctor. Will get a blood test in December to see what A1c level is. It was easy to give up the sugary treats, but I'm finding there are so many carbs in everything else - I keep going over the 60g limit a day. I thought whole wheat was good and yogurt also - but still carbs - learning how to eat right.

I'm surprised at the number also. My doctor recommended 35g of carbs for 3 meals a day, I manage to stay under 100g for the day with 4 to 5 small l meals a day. I found out if I don't get food every 3 to 4 hours I tend to over eat if I'm too hungry. You will eventually get used to the right potions that work for you and it will be less stressful every time you have a meal trying to decide what is good for you.

Talked with a diabetic counselor and she said 45-60 per meal. I'm guessing the doctor misunderstood my question.

Oh good, I wondered if that was the situation! That ought to make things easier for you as you learn a new lifestyle.

When I was on glimeperide I needed to eat a fair number of slow acting carbs in the morning, or I would get lows before lunch. Test often until you figure out how you handle it!

Yep, everyone's different...

45-60g (net carbs) per meal would turn me into a popsicle and eventually drive me onto insulin. :s 30-40g/day is my limit, unless I exercise for at least 45 min.
  • Hollygoheavily
    Hollygoheavily Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed on 13 January 2017 with my fasting BG at 12.4. It had been 10.8 the week before. In the intervening week I researched (because I was in a complete panic) and as a result when I got the diagnosis I refused medication and immediately started on a kind of hybrid Newcastle Diet/Keto Diet (i.e 800 cals a day under 20g carbs - or as close as I could manage) My first A1C after doing that for 2 months and then a month of carbs under 30, calories under 1900, was 39. I then added IF and the next one was 32. My latest one was yesterday - it was 30 which is 4.9%. I've lost 8 stones 4 (116 lbs) and come off blood pressure tablets and my doc has taken me off the diabetes register.
    I agree with Ralf - the carb tolerance varies from person to person. I can now consume up to 70g carbs without my BG becoming elevated. I test before and after meals. Artificial sweeteners spike me horribly.
    I have only started exercising this week - before I was just walking to and from work, 40 mins a day.
    Anyway, I hope this encourages others who might be wondering whether this actually works :-)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I was diagnosed on 13 January 2017 with my fasting BG at 12.4. It had been 10.8 the week before. In the intervening week I researched (because I was in a complete panic) and as a result when I got the diagnosis I refused medication and immediately started on a kind of hybrid Newcastle Diet/Keto Diet (i.e 800 cals a day under 20g carbs - or as close as I could manage) My first A1C after doing that for 2 months and then a month of carbs under 30, calories under 1900, was 39. I then added IF and the next one was 32. My latest one was yesterday - it was 30 which is 4.9%. I've lost 8 stones 4 (116 lbs) and come off blood pressure tablets and my doc has taken me off the diabetes register.
    I agree with Ralf - the carb tolerance varies from person to person. I can now consume up to 70g carbs without my BG becoming elevated. I test before and after meals. Artificial sweeteners spike me horribly.
    I have only started exercising this week - before I was just walking to and from work, 40 mins a day.
    Anyway, I hope this encourages others who might be wondering whether this actually works :-)

Wow! :p
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I am impressed. Great work!
  • sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Wonderful!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    ConleighS wrote: »
    UPDATE:
    I had labs run yesterday at my GP and my new A1c is 6.4. My Glucose Fasting was 87.
    My Cholesterol is as follows : Chol-187/HDL-80/TRI-63/LDL-92/Chol-HDL-2.3 and Non-HDL Chol-HDL - 107.
    My TSH 3rd Gen is 4.40 (I don't know what this is)... and my blood panel came back all in normal ranges.

You are making some serious progress. Kudos!
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

You are making some serious progress. Kudos![/quote]

Thanks, wish I knew what I was doing, LOL. Also he reduced my bp med to 5mg. My GP said he would have me stop the metformin and actos and just take the insulin, but will defer to the endo. i am having alot of gastro problems and he is concerned about my pancreas plus I have lost 85lbs since July last year without really doing anything. I have follow up with endo in December and am awaiting referral to GI. If it wasn't for this damn pancreas I'd be pretty dang healthy.
  • RalfLott
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You are making some serious progress. Kudos!

Thanks, wish I knew what I was doing, LOL. Also he reduced my bp med to 5mg. My GP said he would have me stop the metformin and actos and just take the insulin, but will defer to the endo. i am having alot of gastro problems and he is concerned about my pancreas plus I have lost 85lbs since July last year without really doing anything. I have follow up with endo in December and am awaiting referral to GI. If it wasn't for this damn pancreas I'd be pretty dang healthy.

Whew, that's interesting! If you're a "pure" Type 1.5, the metformin wouldn't do a lot of good. However, if you also have insulin resistance - even though your insulin is mostly injected - the metformin should still help.

Back in the days of my GI fireworks, I found the combination of Imodium (as needed) and an antispasmodic like Donnatal or Bentyl to be pretty effective, meaning I could leave the house....

• kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My TSH 3rd Gen is 4.40 (I don't know what this is)...

TSH is thyroid test
  • Yadagoy
    Yadagoy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just got my A1C test results back. It was 8.1 (equal to about 211 average). My last one had been 6.7. I knew I'd been running high, but this just confirms how high. I have an appointment next week. I know that the doctor will suggest changing my meds or maybe adding insulin. Right now I only take metformin for the BG. I just recently started eating low carb and paying more attention, so I'm tempted to ask her for another 3 months before we make any long term medication decisions. Any thoughts?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Yadagoy wrote: »
    I just got my A1C test results back. It was 8.1 (equal to about 211 average). My last one had been 6.7. I knew I'd been running high, but this just confirms how high. I have an appointment next week. I know that the doctor will suggest changing my meds or maybe adding insulin. Right now I only take metformin for the BG. I just recently started eating low carb and paying more attention, so I'm tempted to ask her for another 3 months before we make any long term medication decisions. Any thoughts?

I would definitely ask to try lifestyle and diet changes first and explain exactly what you're doing differently. Insulin makes it hard to lose weight and comes with its own whole set of problems such as low blood sugar.

How often do you test? Do you know what you've been eating to get that high? Can you add exercise after meals?
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options

I would ask for a chance to let the LC work and really follow it closely. If you are checking a lot you will have a pretty good idea.

My doctor at the last appt. reduced my metformin dose. My meter predicts the next A1C will be 5.2. We will see.
  • Yadagoy
    Yadagoy Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I would definitely ask to try lifestyle and diet changes first and explain exactly what you're doing differently. Insulin makes it hard to lose weight and comes with its own whole set of problems such as low blood sugar.

How often do you test? Do you know what you've been eating to get that high? Can you add exercise after meals?

I wasn't testing often at all for a few months up until about two weeks ago. I went into a period of denial. But now that I'm back to business, I've been testing 4-5 times a day to see the effect of what I'm eating. I've noticed some patterns that I can now address.

During most of 2017, I've been under a lot of stress at work and at home, resulting in high cortisol, bad food choices, no exercise, and awful sleep patterns. It's all been a perfect recipe for disaster. But I did not do my part to manage it, and that's what I am doing now.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

Quite a bump in your levels. If definitely try diet changed first. Good luck.
  • RalfLott
    Options

Quite a bump in your levels. If definitely try diet changed first. Good luck.

Yep! Radically reducing non-fiber carbs and keeping a ceiling on total calories at around 1500-1800 dropped my A1c from over 8 to under 6 in very short order.

That's still working for me 2 years later, but I had to have Glucophage (brand name Metformin) to get down to 5. But as @ConleighS suggests I'd definitely recommend diet first!
  • sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Question about sugar free. I just bought a sugar free chocolate covered marshmallow treat for myself since I need to watch my sugar. But it has 22g carbs - sugar is 0g, sugar alcohol is 20g and believe it or not there is 1g of protein. Is this really "ok" to eat? The carbs are high - will this affect my BG levels? Thanks - still learning this new life style.
  • amyfrogred
    amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Question about sugar free. I just bought a sugar free chocolate covered marshmallow treat for myself since I need to watch my sugar. But it has 22g carbs - sugar is 0g, sugar alcohol is 20g and believe it or not there is 1g of protein. Is this really "ok" to eat? The carbs are high - will this affect my BG levels? Thanks - still learning this new life style.

Sugar free products are very deceiving. If you are counting your carbs at every meal then you add the 22g of carbs to you total. I personally would rather have a small portion of a real treat with the same carbs and no sugar alcohol. Always keep in mind that a carb is a carb. My favorite sugar free desserts are jello and puddings. It does get easier, is been 6months for me now and I'm still learning everyday.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Sugar alcohols do affect my blood glucose. The companies claim they don't, most doctors suggest counting half the carbs in the sugar alcohol as if they were sugar. I would try eating half of it and testing afterward to get an idea of how it affects you.
  • RalfLott
    Options

Sugar alcohols do affect my blood glucose. The companies claim they don't, most doctors suggest counting half the carbs in the sugar alcohol as if they were sugar. I would try eating half of it and testing afterward to get an idea of how it affects you.

Bingo. Testing is never a bad idea!