A1c

Options

Replies

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    The doctor's office called, and he is having me stop the metformin completely. I think I am going to come clean with him about the LC diet at the appt on the 15th. I had told him I had completely ignored his advice about diet at my last appt. He laughed and said I should probably keep doing what I am doing judging by the results. He also said that almost all his patients ignore his diet advice, so I did not need to feel unusual.

I have been on 1000 mg of metformin once a day in the morning since the last appt and the 5.5 A1C then. He wants to check the A1C in three months this time, and we can get a grip on how well the numbers can stay in control.

I will keep monitoring things and have some sense of how the numbers are trending.

This is pretty much where I resolved to be when I got my diagnosis. I hope it is not too soon to go off the metformin, but I can always go back on if I have to.

My doctor wanted to take me off metformin and I asked to stay on it, because it acts as an appetite suppressant, as well as making it easier to gain lean muscle. Since it has no side effects for me, there was no reason to go off it - but I did have to specifically ask.

Thanks for this--I did not know Metformin did that but since I have no side effects from it either, I don't mind staying on it for a long time (I've been on it for at least 20 years), especially if it helps suppress my appetite and gain lean muscle when I lift weights.

• sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I heard this on the news last night - recommended levels of A1c 7-8% -
    interesting read: http://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2674121/hemoglobin-1c-targets-glycemic-control-pharmacologic-therapy-nonpregnant-adults-type
  • amyfrogred
    amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    interesting read: http://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2674121/hemoglobin-1c-targets-glycemic-control-pharmacologic-therapy-nonpregnant-adults-type

That's a very tricky study to read appropriately, because what the news picks up isn't what the study actually says. This study is ONLY about people who manage their diabetes solely using drugs. It has been found in many studies that due to the higher risk of hypoglycemia, which is very dangerous, when diabetics are overmedicated, it's better statistically to let them die slowly from complications of diabetes than to make them die quickly from complications of medication.

That's very different from the situation of diabetics reducing their weight, increasing exercise, and limiting the carbs in their diet to prevent blood glucose spikes. Naturally lowering A1c has very little risk of hypoglycemia and no downside. There have never been any studies on diabetics who have naturally lowered their A1c into the normal range and maintained it there, because what pharmaceutical company would pay for that research?

I agree with Dr Bernstein that the current A1c recommendations are criminally negligent and that diabetics should strive to maintain the same A1c as non-diabetics - under 5 - through lifestyle interventions.

This is achievable. My A1c when I was diagnosed was 11. It's now 4.7. I am taking no meds except metformin, which I asked my doctor to allow me to continue taking since it has no risks and is an appetite suppressant.

I learn so much from you... thanks you! Please keep the information coming.
  • sweeetypie1
    Options

That's a very tricky study to read appropriately, because what the news picks up isn't what the study actually says. This study is ONLY about people who manage their diabetes solely using drugs. It has been found in many studies that due to the higher risk of hypoglycemia, which is very dangerous, when diabetics are overmedicated, it's better statistically to let them die slowly from complications of diabetes than to make them die quickly from complications of medication.

That's very different from the situation of diabetics reducing their weight, increasing exercise, and limiting the carbs in their diet to prevent blood glucose spikes. Naturally lowering A1c has very little risk of hypoglycemia and no downside. There have never been any studies on diabetics who have naturally lowered their A1c into the normal range and maintained it there, because what pharmaceutical company would pay for that research?

I agree with Dr Bernstein that the current A1c recommendations are criminally negligent and that diabetics should strive to maintain the same A1c as non-diabetics - under 5 - through lifestyle interventions.

This is achievable. My A1c when I was diagnosed was 11. It's now 4.7. I am taking no meds except metformin, which I asked my doctor to allow me to continue taking since it has no risks and is an appetite suppressant.

Wonderful on your A1c level. I know that keeping my level down (was 6.1 last check and am getting it checked tomorrow) is good and I feel so much better than I did before I even knew I had diabetes.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    MY HBalc WAS 68 LAST YEAR NOW DOWN TO 49 ( 6.6) tTRYING ALL SoRT - now Leptin Diet Byron Richards says nothing to eat after dinner and then fasting next day will be lower.
  • amyfrogred
    amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I have been off the metformin for three months, and I had a blood draw for an A1C to see where things have been since going off the meds. It was 5.9. I am still losing weight, but the rate has been slower. I am down 112 lbs now.

That's my goal... get off metformin. It's good to know how you are doing. Keep us posted please. I go for my one year check up next week since being diagnosed.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I have my doctor's appt. today. I am claiming that with my A1C, he is going to leave me off the metformin. I would like to go off the bp med too, but we will see. When I get up, it is usually 110/60 (ish). At the end of the day, it will be 130/80 (ish). Maybe that is a good place for it to be, and he will leave me on it.

I just want to register a weight loss on his sales today. Last time I was down 5 pounds on mine, and his said I was unchanged. My scales say I am down another 8 lbs from the last appt.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    The appointment went well. The doctor's scales seem to have been calibrated or something. They recorded me as down 14 lbs since the last appointment. He wants me to stay off the metformin and is happy with the 5.9 A1C. He wants me to stay on the bp med.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Got my blood test results: (12/17)
    a1c: 6.5 (6.5)
    Chol total: 201 (209); ldl is up from 97 to 101; hdl: 85 (95) trig;65 (82)
    TSH: 4.85 (dr has increased my thyroid med to 0.088)
    Fasting glucose: 89 (132)
    Calcium: 9.6 (9.9)
    Protein: 6.9 (7.7)

Thoughts?
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    ConleighS wrote: »
    Got my blood test results: (12/17)
    a1c: 6.5 (6.5)
    Chol total: 201 (209); ldl is up from 97 to 101; hdl: 85 (95) trig;65 (82)
    TSH: 4.85 (dr has increased my thyroid med to 0.088)
    Fasting glucose: 89 (132)
    Calcium: 9.6 (9.9)
    Protein: 6.9 (7.7)

Thoughts?

A1C is unchanged, and my doctor at least wants it under 7. 6.5 is under 7 anyway. It would be better if it were lower, but you take your meds and follow the diet, and it either comes around or you change the diet/meds.

Fasting glucose is much better, and that is an indication of something. The fasting glucose is an isolated reading though, so you don't know if that is the new normal. I wish my fasting glucose were 89.

I have nothing on the rest.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

A1C is unchanged, and my doctor at least wants it under 7. 6.5 is under 7 anyway. It would be better if it were lower, but you take your meds and follow the diet, and it either comes around or you change the diet/meds.

Fasting glucose is much better, and that is an indication of something. The fasting glucose is an isolated reading though, so you don't know if that is the new normal. I wish my fasting glucose were 89.

I have nothing on the rest.[/quote]

I’m sure my fasting glucose is an isolated reading, I haven’t been THAT good. I wish my a1c was better but it’s not worse so I’ll take it. I need to do better I know.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My A1c went up to a 7.6, I was TERRIBLE this winter. My own fault. Time to kick it in the butt and get it back down where it belongs.

• jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    I had my A1C check this morning and am officially OFF insulin! Three months ago I was moved from 30 units a day to 10 and now to 0! Losing weight really makes a difference!

that is truly great news!
  • sweeetypie1
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    I had my A1C check this morning and am officially OFF insulin! Three months ago I was moved from 30 units a day to 10 and now to 0! Losing weight really makes a difference!

YEAH