Introduce yourself

Options
123457»

Replies

• TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just joined this group. I've been using the site on/off for over 10 years now.

I did TKD as a teenager and got up to Green belt before stopping with an injury. Last March I started Goju Ryu Karate as not pursuing a black belt was one of my regrets in life, plus I want my kids to be able to defend themselves too. The dojo was very highly recommended by a friend who is 3rd Dan in another city.

It took at most three weeks and the bug bit me. I was completely hooked - very unlike my experience when I was younger. I've read over a dozen books already, watched hundreds of YouTube videos, and I train at the dojo as often as I am able and allowed to.

In a bit of a reversal of my personal "normal", being limited by my body in karate inspired me to start losing weight more seriously so I restarted MFP in September or so. I'm down 31 pounds from my starting-Karate weight and it's made a huge difference in my whole life. I figure I'm about halfway to my goal weight-wise.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just joined this group. I've been using the site on/off for over 10 years now.

I did TKD as a teenager and got up to Green belt before stopping with an injury. Last March I started Goju Ryu Karate as not pursuing a black belt was one of my regrets in life, plus I want my kids to be able to defend themselves too. The dojo was very highly recommended by a friend who is 3rd Dan in another city.

It took at most three weeks and the bug bit me. I was completely hooked - very unlike my experience when I was younger. I've read over a dozen books already, watched hundreds of YouTube videos, and I train at the dojo as often as I am able and allowed to.

In a bit of a reversal of my personal "normal", being limited by my body in karate inspired me to start losing weight more seriously so I restarted MFP in September or so. I'm down 31 pounds from my starting-Karate weight and it's made a huge difference in my whole life. I figure I'm about halfway to my goal weight-wise.

Awesome! Congratulations. Discovering a passion is a fantastic feeling. You whole life can be falling apart, but there is still one piece of joy in all the chaos
  • TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations. Discovering a passion is a fantastic feeling. You whole life can be falling apart, but there is still one piece of joy in all the chaos

I'm pretty sad that this group turns out to be so dead. Anyone know of any active Martial Arts groups?
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sad that this group turns out to be so dead. Anyone know of any active Martial Arts groups?

Nope, sorry. It used to be more active but it kind of fizzled

I just came here to post this:
    h164pk5td57i.jpg
  • leatricedunn
    leatricedunn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi to everyone. This seems like a good group, so I’ve decided to join it. I’ve been training in judo for 2 years but I feel like I want to try something new. I chose judo because it’s near my house and before I started training, I’ve watched many videos of martial arts and just simple techniques so as to make up my mind. I even tried online courses, such as self defense techniques system Combat Fighter. Here is the review of the Combat Fighter System so you can make an idea of what I’ve been trying. As for now, I’ve been thinking about taekwondo or muay thai, but can’t decide. They both have strong leg work, but I think taekwondo is a bit faster in kicking. On the other hand, muay thai has more fists involved. Such a hard decision, I just cannot choose. Maybe I’ll just flip a coin.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm not really new to the group, but I last posted here around 2018, it's great to see that the group is still going :smile:. I train in karate (shukokai) with my two sons, we've been training for around 8 years now, although covid obviously broke up a good portion of the last two years. Last year we trained consistently 4 times per week. This year I'm planning to scale back to 2 sessions per week, although Sensei is already lining me up to teach on the nights I don't train :lol:

Last time I was here I was probably 1st kyu, with a goal of getting my black belt before I turned 40 in 2019. Well I made it to 1st Dan and recently I've graded up to 2nd Dan :blush:.

My first love in karate is kata, I also love to fight when I can find an adult to fight me, but at 5 feet tall I spend a lot of my training time fighting kids!

My boys are 18 and 16, the 18 year old recently graded to 1st Dan, and his brother is hoping to get his black belt by the end of this year. It's been so rewarding training with them from the start, and watching their progress and dedication.