January 2018 Move Your @$$ Challenge

Options

Replies

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    12.5 from the ex bike AFTER interval training.

exercise.png

• clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,408 Member
    Options
    @clepant - We are seeing an increase in canine influenza but not the two strains you are thinking of. For some reason we are seeing a new strain that Idexx and the University of Missouri have been unable to identify so it may become a new strain. It's hard on young and old puppies but there isn't a vaccine for it. We are seeing a large increase in two canine influenza strains in the Northeast. The H3N2 and H3N8 are two strains that have increased quite a bit in the Northeast. They have increased all over the eastern united states but mostly in the Northeast. There is a vaccine for the two strains but your dog must have a competent immune system to make them work. Chemo Dogs don't have a competent immune system because of the drugs. It would still give them some protection which is better than none. However, it won't stop them from getting sick. It just makes it easier for them to recover. Even with our vaccines, they don't stop you from getting sick, they just make the illness less severe and help speed recovery.

Yes Dean, we are seeing outbreaks. NE Ohio has been hit pretty hard. One of my students came in this week and said his whole family was sick including their dog which makes me wonder if it was dog influenza. My dog cannot be vaccinated and was about to have his update vaccinations when he ended up in the emergency, surgery and now chemo. They do not want him to receive vaccinations now. My hubby is going to keep him in the car until they come for him and than take him straight to the car when he is done with his treatment and come back and pay so he is not exposed to all the other dogs. They keep the oncology dogs on one side of the room and the other cases on the opposite wing but we are going to try and keep him minimally exposed. He is in such a compromised state. His wbc drops right before chemo. Two weeks ago 4.45 and last time 3.45. He was back up near 11 in a week. We are keeping him home. No walks in the neighborhood for either of my old pups.
  • clepant
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Adding 11.5 miles
    TTD:161 miles

exercise.png

@Dave: Running has been my escape dealing with stress...just like cycling helps Susan. It was depressing to stop. I have a 94yr old father with me who is in stage 4 kidney disease due the Lasix he takes to drain off fluid. He is in a catch 22. We have been able to stabilize it. Two weeks ago he tried to help my lame dog up and went to sit in his rolator and did not lock the brakes and it rolled out from under him. He fell and suffered a compression fracture in his upper lumbar. My hubby has Alpha 1 Antitripsin Deficiency. Basically he inherited a rare pulmonary condition often diagnosed as asthma or COPD. His lungs lack a protein that is produced in the liver. It is suppose to go to the lungs and fight infections but in his case remains in the liver. This can lead to a liver or lung transplant. He has have an infusion of plasma every week for the rest of his life. I also have two ill dogs. One is going lame and having difficulty walking and the other guy has an aggressive cancer. So everyone in my household has health issues.

I know that is has been rough on you losing your dad and issues with your son and your beautiful bike being damaged. But you are bigger than all that and we do not need to let those situations define us. I firmly believe that I am not given more than I am able to deal with and that this to shall pass. How I choose to look at it makes all the difference. I know that I embrace the good moments and appreciate them more. I am so glad that you have a wonderful person in your life now that can be there for you during these rough patches. As I said....we have better days ahead of us.

Okay...enough. Tart Cherry Concentrate is in liquid form. I have to order it because it is hard to find around here. Many people take it for gout and arthritis. My aunt prescribed it for me years ago when I was getting some arthritis in my hips. It cleared up. It has been doing wonders for my knees.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    =============================
    SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE

See (but not edit) the
    spreadsheet here:

http://tinyurl.com/myac201402

@CLEPANT - Thanks for the perspective. I wasn't thinking about the bike because that's all good now. :) But yeah...the thing with my girlfriend's son has been the biggest challenge. There's much more to it than I am able to share here, but I get it. I just have to put my best foot forward and carry on best I can. As for the Tart Cherry Concentrate, I'm going to order some from Amazon and try it out. Thanks for the tip!

Digging out from yesterday's dumping of over 12-14" of new snow. The kids got a couple of snow days out of it. :smiley:

Dave
  • micheleg1965
    micheleg1965 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    1/1- walked 3.44 miles
    1/2- walked 4.61 miles
    1/3- walked 4.26 miles
    1/4- walked 3.59 miles
    1/5- walked 1.07 miles
    1/6- walked 1.00 miles
    1/7- walked 4.14 miles
    1/8- walked 4.16 miles
    1/9-walked 4.80 miles
    1/10- walked 4.07 miles
    1/11- walked 2.12 miles
    1/12- walked 1.14 miles
    1/13- walked 1.01 miles
    1/14- walked 4.31 miles
    1/15- walked 4.05 miles
    1/16- walked 3.22 miles
    1/17- walked 1.84 miles
    1/18- walked 3.59 miles
    1/19- walked 1.16 miles
    1/20- walked 1.41 miles
    1/21- walked 4.59 miles
    1/22- walked 4.36 miles
    1/23- walked 4.01 miles
    71.95/ 85 total miles

• Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    23 Jan 5.6 miles
    24 Jan 9.2 miles did intervals and body feeling much better!
    MTD 201.48 miles
  • alyssa_a21
    alyssa_a21 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    MTD: 68.94
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Starting the month off with 12 miles out of 175.

Adding seven miles for 19 out of 175.

Adding 11 miles for 30 out of 175.

Adding 7 miles for 37 out of 175.

Adding 9 miles for 46 out of 175.

Adding 7 miles for 53 out of 175

Adding 16 miles for 69 out of 175.

Adding 15 miles for 84 out of 175.

Adding 9 miles for 93 out of 175.

Adding 18 miles for 111 out of 175. Ha! Chris, I leapfrogged over you. We can play leapfrog till we hit goal. :smile:

Adding 16 miles for 127 out of 175.

Adding 14 miles for 141 out of 175.

Adding 29 miles for 170 out of 174.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    clepant wrote: »
    @clepant - We are seeing an increase in canine influenza but not the two strains you are thinking of. For some reason we are seeing a new strain that Idexx and the University of Missouri have been unable to identify so it may become a new strain. It's hard on young and old puppies but there isn't a vaccine for it. We are seeing a large increase in two canine influenza strains in the Northeast. The H3N2 and H3N8 are two strains that have increased quite a bit in the Northeast. They have increased all over the eastern united states but mostly in the Northeast. There is a vaccine for the two strains but your dog must have a competent immune system to make them work. Chemo Dogs don't have a competent immune system because of the drugs. It would still give them some protection which is better than none. However, it won't stop them from getting sick. It just makes it easier for them to recover. Even with our vaccines, they don't stop you from getting sick, they just make the illness less severe and help speed recovery.

Yes Dean, we are seeing outbreaks. NE Ohio has been hit pretty hard. One of my students came in this week and said his whole family was sick including their dog which makes me wonder if it was dog influenza. My dog cannot be vaccinated and was about to have his update vaccinations when he ended up in the emergency, surgery and now chemo. They do not want him to receive vaccinations now. My hubby is going to keep him in the car until they come for him and than take him straight to the car when he is done with his treatment and come back and pay so he is not exposed to all the other dogs. They keep the oncology dogs on one side of the room and the other cases on the opposite wing but we are going to try and keep him minimally exposed. He is in such a compromised state. His wbc drops right before chemo. Two weeks ago 4.45 and last time 3.45. He was back up near 11 in a week. We are keeping him home. No walks in the neighborhood for either of my old pups.

Wow! That's really low. I think keeping him in the car until it's his turn is a really good idea. Have they ever discussed Neupogen? I think that's how it is spelled. I'm not an oncologist. It's supposed to stimulate WBCs like Epogen stimulates RBCs.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,341 Member
    Options
    SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE

See (but not edit) the
    spreadsheet here:

http://tinyurl.com/myac201402
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    January 1 - 7 km run / strength training
    January 2 - rest day
    January 3 - 18 km run / 10 km stairmarster
    January 4 - 10 km run
    January 5 - 16 km run / strength training
    January 6 - 16 km run
    January 7 - 5 km club run / 10 km walk
    January 8 - 8 km run / strength training
    January 10 - 14 km run
    January 11 - Strength training
    January 12 - injured
    January 13 - injured/strength training
    January 14 - injured
    January 15 - injured
    January 16 - injured/strength training
    January 17 - 7 km run
    January 18 - 8 km run
    January 20 - strength training
    January 21 - 5 km run/ 5 km stairmarster
    January 22 - 8 km run
    January 23 - 8 km run / strength training
    January 24 - 15 km / 9km stairmarster
    January 25 - 5 km run / 20 km bike ride

190 km - goal 400 km
  • Lovemyalex
    Lovemyalex Posts: 3,851 Member
    Options
    1/24
    28.11 miles
    574.82 miles MTD
  • pdfrazier08
    pdfrazier08 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    1/18 - 5.41
    1/19 - 5.22
    1/20 - 1.75
    1/21 - 1.05
    1/22 - 4.13
    1/23 - 5.65

MTD = 111

exercise.png
    [/url]
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    @clepant and @dave Hugs to you both for all the $(^# thrown your way lately. Reading the more recent posts made me realize that my stressing about this new job (and today sucked) isn't really important in the grand scheme of things. It's just a job. I've survived worse stressors. (hides the rest of the Girl Scout cookies)

Adding 1 mile at the gym this morning. That is definitely one of my happy places and makes my day a lot brighter. Even when I have to do burpees.

exercise.png

• belle_74
    belle_74 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    ... hanging in there!

exercise.png

• mybesttutu
    mybesttutu Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    23 Jan 3.51 miles

exercise.png

MTD 125.75
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,436 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @Dean looks like you'll hit goal tomorrow!! Congratulations! It's going to be really close for me.

01/23 - 3.33 miles
    01/24 - 7.12 miles

exercise.png

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Chris
  • clepant
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @kar:It is amazing how much stuff one can deal with. It becomes my new norm and it does not bother me because it is what it is. I have been sleeping on a twin aero bed in my living room since August. I have forgotten what a real bed feels like and it is amazing how easily I can curl up on our loveseat and fall asleep. When imy situation. changes for worse or better, I will readjust...lol. We are truly resilient creatures.
    On a good note, I had the best compliment today. I do morning drop off for bus duty every other week. I try to greet every kid with a warm good morning comment because I think it may be what sets the tone for their entire day. This morning one of my first grade boys got out of his car. His mother pulls up to where I am standing and rolls down the window, and I think....what did I do now. She says are you Ms. Lepant and I said yes I am. She said my son Sawyer just told me that he wants to be just like you when he grows up. That comment carried me through the whole day. Oh, what weight words hold.

Jan. 24: 12 miles today of walking 5, running 2 and biking 5 miles.
    TTD: 273 miles

exercise.png

• anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    01/22 - 01.0 walk at the river
    01/23 - 23.0 miles turbo trainer
    01/24 - 23.0 miles turbo trainer

Total: 466.0 miles

exercise.png
This discussion has been closed.