Following Fuhrman in February!

Options

Replies

• bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Poor little guy. I used the inflatable collar from Pet Co after my dogs had surgeries. It is soft and easier for them to eat & drink.

Sorry about the food going bad Mihani. I hope you are feeling better. 4 lbs is 4 lbs, at least something good happened this week.
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,948 Member
    Options
    Been a long night. He cried, little whimpers, throughout the night, and is pathetic and dejected. This is a dog who is usually the most energetic and happy-go-lucky fellow you'll ever see. Just breaks my heart. He gets this way when there are thunderstorms, but this is like a never-ending thunderstorm. At least he is moving a little, he was so terrified in the cone at first I couldn't get him to move. I'm going to PetSmart today to look at some other cones. Donna, I saw mixed reviews on the inflatable collar, but will take a look at those too. Not sure if I am going to try to get to the office today. If I have to run out to PetSmart at least I can hit Trader Joe's too!
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    CoffeeandHumblePie Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Mihani, hope you get some rest after a long night with your pup, and hopefully he'll turn a corner real soon and be back to his old self.

Congrats on the weight loss, though sorry it was from illness. NO fun.

I'm trying to be kind to myself as I try this crazy experiment of eating to live. Honestly, I may be a 60% person and no more (as he mentions in the book). Even so, I am amazed at how eating this way for breakfast and lunch makes me feel! For one thing, no misery after a meal. No grogginess, no stomach issues. I'm wowed! But life disruption happens too often in a busy household. I was nowhere near home when it came time for dinner last night, so it was fast food with the family. Good news is that because I ate well for the rest of the day, I was under my MFP calorie goal and had a loss this morning. I'll take it one day at a time.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Sorry I've been MIA for a while. I've been working more this week.

C&P, nice to see you! You're doing great. Every meal that you do ETL style is doing good things for your body. Sorry the zucchini was gross. I made a few recipes with frozen butternut squash and I really didn't like the taste or texture. I figured that I just don't like bn squash, but maybe it would be better fresh.

Mihani, sorry about your doggo. I hate seeing animals upset like that and wish I could explain what's going on to them. I hope you both get some good rest tonight.

Your card and envelope are gorgeous, Donna! You just might get me back into card making yet! How's your biking coming along? Is the epic 25 mile ride this weekend?

So far this month I've been doing really good at staying on track with my food. We had a meal out for Joe's birthday, and a v-day dinner, but I had tofu, veggies and brown rice, so about as good as it gets around here for dining out. I got in lots of walking last week and early this week, but since the snow and rain started in, I haven't been motivated to outside. The snow is off of the ground now at least! That should be the end of it.
  • bisky
    Options
    Hey friends,

Jeez I have been down yesterday and trying to pull out of it today. The school shootings are very traumatic to me. I graduated from Columbine and the day of the shootings I was working in ER. It was horrible and that was the main reason Brooks and I left Colorado and have been on this crazy adventure with the military.

Out of the blue today I wanted a cookie (of course not just one but a package). I thought about it and thought it was just a reaction to feeling bad and stress. I made a green smoothie and survived the cookie craving.

Tomorrow is the bike ride. Not sure if I am ready or not for 25 miles but I figure no rush. Even if I just go 10 miles an hour that will be 2.5 hours and it will take Brooks approx. 4 hours to finish 66 miles...unless he really pushes it.

C&P, I have eggs a couple times a week and fish. I avoid cheese, most milk products all red meat and the starches. I feel great. The vegetables, fruits, beans and nuts are great for your health and heart. I do have sugar free chocolate at night and coffee with skim milk in the morning...I make a deal with myself that those two things and the rest should be ETL foods. Subway can be your best fast food friend in a pinch with a chopped salad or vegetarian sandwich and be sure to add the avocado. We have a great restaurant in town called Zoe's Kitchen. Mediterranean style food.

Poor dog, Mihani..here is pics of Buster (the Yorkie) and Charlie Bear (white westie) when I had then neutered. ff01507dmtuw.jpg
    of6u3n5qln04.jpg

• Mihani
    Options
    Hope you are feeling better Donna. Good luck on your bike ride! Pup is adjusting to the cone and doing a lot better this evening. His bandages were removed today and the vet tech said she couldn't believe it had only been a day. He's healing beautifully.

C&P even 60% is a big deal. So glad you are feeling benefits already. I know I feel so much better when I am eating this way.

Carla, I love butternut squash, but haven't ever had frozen. I have a bag I bought recently in the freezer so I'll have to do something with it soon and see if it is different. You're doing great this month!

I have fallen off eating ETL the past week being sick. I couldn't eat anything but toast, bananas, rice and oatmeal for several days. Today I threw out all the great stuff I bought last weekend and prepped. :( I got some veggies and a couple frozen entrees at Trader Joe's today so I'm set for this week.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Donna, I hope you are feeling better now. It must have been really hard to be in the ER on the day of the shootings. How did the bike ride go?

Mihani, I'm interested to hear what you think of the frozen squash. If it is much the same as fresh, I am ready to give up on it. I think I had it fresh in a recipe before a long time ago and enjoyed it, but I remember dicing it up to be kind of difficult, which is why I went with the pre-cubed frozen in the first place. I hope you're feeling much better by now and are ready for a good week!

Batching today was epic. I was in the kitchen for 4.5 hours and Joe was in there helping me for about 3 hours. He picked up the groceries while I started on the cooking. We got a late start too, because the power went out again! Luckily it was only out from about 8:30 am until 10 am. It went out last night as well, but after we were in bed so it wasn't an inconvenience. It has been a bad winter for power outages.
  • Mihani
    Options
    I agree that butternut squash is a total pain to peel and cut up, but I've done it so many times now that it is not so difficult. Mainly because I was totally addicted to this recipe for a while: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/24/black-bean-and-butternut-squash-burritos/ I haven't made it in a long time, but I think it would probably be just as good without the daiya and leaving out the oil. Maybe I will experiment with it before long. Sorry about all the power outages, but glad they didn't last too long. Weren't you thinking about a generator at one point? What all is on the menu this week?

I worked a lot this weekend trying to make up a bit for lost time last week being sick and dealing with the dog's surgery. Just finished up and heading to bed after a cup of tea. I was looking at the calendar and deadlines and it's going to be another crazy week I can tell already.
  • bisky
    Options
    Hi,

We just got home! OMG, I barely survived. The first 13 miles were fantastic...I was averaging 12-14 mph/ I was half way done in 65 minutes. Then the wind kicked up and we rode against headwinds 35-40 mph. It took me over 2 hours to finish...by the end my speed dropped down to 5-6 mph. Brooks said it was one of his toughest rides to do against the headwinds. At mile 23 I got a little shaky and had been out of water (I thought I had one more rest stop to get more water). I passed this young couple who were walking and I decided to walk a mile then the last mile was almost out of the headwinds. Overall I was thrilled I finished and the volunteers who ran the bike tour were so nice. It was a fund raiser for the Boys and Girls club. I am already looking at the next ride to do! After the ride we drove another hour to South Padre Island in the gulf of Mexico. It was beautiful and our room face the ocean. I was too tired to go out for dinner. This morning we went for a 3 mile walk on the beach. It was our first time there.

Mihani - I hope you and the dog have recovered this weekend.

Carla - these power outages are such a bummer. Do you have a generator?

I will post a couple pics tomorrow of the trip.

• bisky
    Options
    Pics of trip. f0o1z2urada0.jpeg
    g7gxgoo0x9k5.jpeg
    lp2wuvvb3vll.jpeg
    3jspu0g9qx5u.jpeg
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Bisky, it looks like you had a fantastic trip! Today, it's snowy and blustery here where I live so the sunny pics are a breath of fresh air!

I'm finding that I struggle on the weekends when it comes to food. Yesterday was not good in terms of food choices. Breakfast, good. Lunch, eh, could have been better - I made the best of circumstances. Then, in the afternoon, a leap into "what was I thinking" (no details as I don't want anyone to stumble). Then supper - a prepackaged vegan burrito. I woke up this morning with a body ready to get back to better eating.

I have been dealing with twangs of diverticulosis over the last 3-4 days and I'm concerned that it might be the raw veggies & nuts I've been enjoying. Many people with diverticulosis report that they have to eat bland, starchy, cooked foods. I'm hoping this is not going to derail my ETL goals. I'm feeling better this morning, perhaps because I began a raw garlic cure last night. The antibacterial properties of raw garlic are really helpful for diverticulosis, even if I offend my family with garlic breath. ;) One day at a time.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Congrats on finishing the race, Donna! Great photos. The beach looks beautiful.

Joe and I are thinking about getting a generator, but we want one that is fully automated and is big enough to power the entire house. That makes it a pretty big expense. The power only went out once or twice the year before, and only for a few hours at a time. I think we'll probably get a car before the generator.

This week we're having a collard wrap with black eyed peas and sofrito, Picadillo stuffed peppers with a pineapple jicama & avocado salad, a mushroom Cubano sandwich with pickled slaw cabbage, black bean soup with 'cheesy' quesadilla, and a Caribbean-Cuban fusion bowl. We haven't had Cuban food before, and I'm looking forward to trying it all. The taste tests I had while we were cooking were good!

I didn't get in any walking this weekend. The weather was cold and very windy!

• bisky
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Carla - I understand about big house purchases. You really have to weigh priorities and having a car so you can get out is important. Your food plan looks delicious. There was a farmer's market with the most beautiful red and golden beets on the island. We had no cash with us and a 5 hour drive back. Produce is amazing down there. I am going to go to a farmer's market next weekend.

We leave for Italy in 2 weeks!!! Can't believe it is coming up so quickly. We won't be able to go on amazing tours as I have the dogs to care for and the cost but there is a ton of stuff to see close to Aviano (Venice, Austria, Slovenia, Italian Alps). It might be raining when we are there. We have a list of all our favorite places to visit. The weekly farmer's markets, the favorite gelato place and places to eat. Taking our Italian neighbors a few lbs. of Texas Pecans for a gift.

C&P - I have diverticulosis too. I had a bit of an attack after eating a lot of cabbage the 3-4th week. It might have been the pickled slaw cabbage. My mother had severe diverticulosis. Your GI system will eventually be able to tolerate more fiber but my suggestions to you would to eat more lightly steamed vegetables, roast vegetables and take it easy with nuts for a while and maybe strawberries if you are eating them. The little seeds lodge in the diverticulum and cause inflammation. Are you eating beans? They actually help. When my mother had a bad attack she would cook different beans. Broccoli and cauliflower either steamed or roasted are great. Also when I started I made a lot of different types of vegetable soups or chili. It really helped to have those on hand and in the freezer on weekends. I made minestrone with northern beans, sweet potato chili with black beans and one of Mihani's favorite OSG Golden lentil soup. A few days of soups and cooked vegetables might help you out. Also post pictures of snow. I am from Colorado and as a child we lived in Canada. I love snow....but it is nice to be able to walk & bicycle this time of year. Wait until summer when it is 90-110* here. I do not do well. I prefer cold weather!

Going indoor swimming today! I MIGHT set a goal to do a sprint triathlon later year as I turn 60. Sprint triathlons are short-distance triathlons, usually consisting of a 750-meter swim, 20k-bike ride and a 5k-run. My goal would be to finish....I can't run but I could walk it. I am a very slow walker and swimmer.

• CoffeeandHumblePie
    Options
    Bisky, we are on the same track! After checking in with you all this morning I thought “well, duh, if you can’t eat raw make a pot of veggie soup!” Thanks for the tip about beans. I was wondering if they were the culpri, but glad to know they are helpful - especially since I made a big batch to freeze over the weekend.

Italy! That sounds dreamy!

Carla, thanks for sharing your menu for the week! Very inspiring!

Mihani, hows pup?
  • Mihani
    Options
    Congrats on making it through your ride Donna! Trip looks like lots of fun. It does seem like the Italy trip came up fast! Can’t wait to see some pics while you are there. That’s someplace I’ve always wanted to visit.

C&P hope you are feeling better today. It’s funny how an off day can really make you crave the good stuff the next day. I lightly steam or roast veggies to add to my salads. Sometimes it gets to be too much raw otherwise!

I love collard greens Carla… eat them at least one a week. That is definitely an epic prep day you put in. Hope your weather improves.

Another long day. I am leaving the office early and bringing work home to do in the evening this week so pup doesn’t have to stay too long alone in his cone.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Coffee&Pie, the veggie soup sounds like a good plan. I can't do all raw, either. Donna suggested some salad scissors to me, and I use them every day to cut my salad up into little bits. Less chewing and easier to digest! (https://www.amazon.com/Trudeau-Toss-Chop-Salad-Tongs/dp/B007WSL3S6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1519142332&sr=8-4&keywords=Trudeau+Toss+and+Chop+Salad+Tongs)

Donna, your trip to Italy sounds so great! How long are you there for again? I hope you get some good weather, but I'm sure you will have a fab time regardless. I've never heard of a sprint triathlon before. What a great way to celebrate your 60th!

Mihani, I am going to start having collard greens more often. They were chopped up in the recipe and also used as wraps after blanching them. It's nice to have a non-bread option for a wrap. It's nice that you're able to spend some extra time at home with doggo. Have you had much in the way of snow lately?

My mom came over yesterday and we went for a brisk walk in the cold. The temperature was around 30F / -1 C, but there was constant wind making it extra chilly. It was a gorgeous sunny day with blue skies. I don't have a winter coat that fits me right now, but I have been dropping weight and I refuse to buy a big coat now that will only be needed for the next few weeks. I wore a hoodie, a toque with ear flaps, and gloves. Next time I'll take a scarf along too.

For our lunch yesterday, I made us each a big salad with some garlicky baked tofu. I tried a new-to-me creamy curry dressing, and then sprinkled raisins and raw pumpkin seeds on top of the whole thing. Yum! I'll paste the curry dressing below in case anyone is interested.

Creamy Curry Dressing
    Author Molly Patrick of Clean Food Dirty Girl
    Ingredients
    3 dried dates pit taken out and simmered in water for about 10 minutes (2 dates if they are jumbo)
    1/4 cup tahini 70g
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1 garlic clove peeled and left whole
    1 teaspoon peeled and grated ginger
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 cup water 120ml
    Instructions
    Drain and discard the date water and place the dates into your blender, along with the tahini, curry powder, garlic clove, ginger, salt and water and blend until completely smooth.

• Mihani
    Options
    I am going to try that recipe Carla. Dinner tonight is salad and some baked tofu. I am going to jump on the treadmill for a few before I start on my work tonight. I figured if I'm getting home earlier I should take some time to treadmill before I have dinner. Glad you had a nice visit with your mom. No snow since last weekend which didn't stick, and it is in the 70's today. Ohio weather is so weird!
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    Options
    Confession. I am so new to eating plant based that I have never tried to prepare tofu before. I've only tasted it once, that I recall. Garlicky Baked Tofu sounds really good! Also, I need to prep my pantry/fridge with ingredients for dressings. I've been winging it and having "eh" results. I'm watching ETL videos and reading on ETL websites every evening to keep myself motivated. Tonight it was The Watering Mouth (Cheri) interviewing Elisha from Eat to Live Daily. Very inspiring! I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to bite the bullet and do the 6 week boot camp. I'm doing well as is, but I'm frankly curious as to what my results would be after 6 weeks on plan. ETL Daily offers a 6 week Jumpstart - support, teamwork, menus, etc. Have any of you done this? The frugal in me says I can save the $39 and do fine right here at MFP, but it certainly looks fun!
  • bisky
    Options
    C & P - Yes, I did it starting end of September with blips here and there. I did the 6 week then switched to level or phase 2 in the book Eating for Health by Dr. F. By the end of January I was down 30 lbs.

Mihani - how is your dog doing? Good plan for t- his evening.

Carla - That dressing sounds good. Good for you walking in cold weather!

I took a day off exercise as I swam hard yesterday. Going to be raining here next few days. I am going to prep and cook tomorrow. Making a Tuscany White Bean soup with spinach and Farro (?), zucchini, red onion, tomato and basil stuffed red peppers.
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    Options
    Sounds like a delicious menu, bisky!

I'm going to attempt my usual walk today and hope there are no signs of muscle strain. If I have to cut it short again I think I'll return to T-Tapp until things are better (very low impact cardio and muscle core conditioning).

It's time to prep a new batch of veggies for the fridge and cook and freeze more beans & lentils. So many recipes that I'm seeing require a high-powered blender. I have a nutriBullet Rx, which is powerful but has limitations. Perhaps it's time to save up for a vitamix or similar.

I'm feeling good as cravings subside! Very thankful to have found ETL! As I was reading in The End of Dieting yesterday, I came upon some info that was truly sobering. Dr. Fuhrman says that when we diet and regain, the fat returns as dangerous visceral fat. For this reason he warns not to proceed unless you are committed to a lifetime commitment. This is sobering! Is there a woman alive in the US who hasn't yo-yo dieted? :neutral: