Following Fuhrman in February!

Options

Replies

• bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I agree CP ...I like to tell people I am making lifestyle changes instead of on a diet...I have to remind my husband of this frequently. He is back to eating a lot of sugar. I understand he works out longer and harder than I do but he was so close to his goal weight. He is only up a few lbs. but it is his choice. He bought a package of Oreo cookies for work and left them on the front seat of our SUV, he forgot we were switching vehicles....so I am going to throw them way in the back when I get into the car. Ultimately I am responsible for what I eat and he is responsible for what he eats. Not going to spend any more energy on this.

Keep sharing what you read that impacts you. I find it always interesting what other people take away from his books. I think in Dec. Mihani was reading an interesting book and sharing insightful information.

Oh, I just had a moment of insightfulness....I frequently said I would lose weight faster if Brooks was 100% on board....which makes me the weak link. If I can be 100% or close despite what others including my husband eat then it will only make me stronger ( if it doesn't kill me....hahahah). It is totally up to me what we eat for dinner and he has what ever he wants at work.

Have a great day everyone!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Your meal plan sounds great, Donna!

C&P, I haven't done the bootcamp, but I bet it would be very helpful. I have lots of tofu recipes when you want to try it out.

Nice job getting on the treadmill, Mihani!

Yesterday was another cold, windy day with blue skies and sunshine. I walked through town and picked up a library book on foot to get in extra steps. Here's my meal from yesterday. I managed to take a picture before diving in for a change! (Picadillo Stuffed Peppers and a pineapple, jicama, & avocado salad which didn't sound great to me, but was actually very tasty.)

jwx6hh1fafkx.jpg

• freshstartpat
    freshstartpat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I just joined the group. I was excited to find an active group on MFP for Nutritarians. I'm on a journey from dieter to Nutritarian. I've spent a lot of time increasing GBOMBS and decreasing meat and dairy in my diet. I feel like I've laid the ground work and I'm ready to dive in and take it to the next level. Looking forward to sharing recipes and ideas with everyone. Coming up with dinners every day has been the biggest challenge for me. Breakfast and lunch were much easier to adjust.

One thing that has helped me a lot, my son's girlfriend is a vegetarian. He is 16 and suddenly he's happy if I make a big salad or a meatless entree so he can invite her for dinner! Lucky break :smiley:

• bisky
    Options
    Hi again,

Checking in between the two food preps right now, finished stuffing the red peppers and checking in before starting the soup....which should be a bit easier.

Carla - I love pics and that salad looks delicious! I am going to have to try that. We are on the same wave length with stuffed peppers! I will post a pic later. The ingredients for stuff peppers...I had way too much but actually it is good as a salad with added avocado!

Welcome Pat - What a cute cute dog you have for your profile picture. What kind is he or she? We all love dogs here too. I can't way to see some of your meals and recipes! I will share this stuffed sweet red pepper recipe and pics later. Busy food prep day.

First thing this morning I went on base and was able to get my military I.D. renewed....had all the correct paper work. Yesterday when I did this my hair & makeup was done (rare for this chick), today I didn't care and one of the worst pictures I have had. Will be using this for the next 4 years. Tomorrow I go back on base to talk to GI Dr.

I am going swimming alone after my Dr.'s appointment. Brooks works, my friend who got me into swimming is sick but I can do this. Driving out of my comfort zone!
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,948 Member
    Options
    C&P, tofu scrambles are an easy way to try out cooking tofu for the first time. This is my favorite recipe for scramble, and easily made ETL by leaving out the oil: https://minimalistbaker.com/southwest-tofu-scramble/ A tofu press comes in super handy if you start making tofu often. This is the one I have… https://www.amazon.com/Gourmet-Tofu-Press-Marinating-Dish/dp/B002QO5LY8/ref=sr_1_2/142-3508640-1645254?ie=UTF8&qid=1519259136&sr=8-2&keywords=tofu+xpress&dpID=518OIt4wIQL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I had not heard of ETL Daily. Honestly, for the 6 week plan, I think the best thing is to just keep it simple and not try to worry about making fancy dishes or meals. Just make big batches of steamed and roasted veggies and greens, cut up stuff for salads, make some bean soups, etc. I am a big fan of bowls, a little rice or quinoa topped with lots of veggies, some beans or baked tofu, and topped with some sort of ETL friendly dressing or vinegar. I am planning to start the 6 week plan again on Monday (this weekend is a party and I know I won’t be totally compliant) so if you do start you’ll have some company.

Donna, pup is doing great! He is getting really bored and frustrated with the cone though. We spent some time in the back yard and I let him tear around and work off some energy without the cone on. It’s healing beautifully. Checked the area tonight and no swelling or irritation. That’s great you are choosing to follow ETL whether your husband is totally on board or not. The stuffed peppers sound tasty.

Carla, that dinner looks beautiful, and I love your dishes too. What’s on top of the peppers? I don’t think I’ve ever had jicama. Maybe at a restaurant or something, but I’ve never bought it. How is Ruby doing?

Welcome Pat… I’m going to be doing the 6 week plan again starting Monday so I will be joining you! I think dinners are more difficult too, but like I said above, bowls are your friend when you’re pressed for time. Being prepared is probably 90% of sticking to it for me. I just don’t feel like cooking after a long day at work. When I’m on my game it takes me about 3 to 4 hours on the weekend to prep and cook. It’s a lot of work and time, but then it takes no effort at all the rest of the week.

• freshstartpat
    freshstartpat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awe thanks Donna. He's a labradoodle, his name is Finn. He's a big goof. Thanks for the welcome! I love red bell peppers, I'm really excited for recipes! That stinks about your ID photo; its a funny story though. I love to swim, one of my goals is to get back to the pool.

Mihani - thanks for the welcome. Bowls are a great idea! I love them too, thats a great reminder to get them back in the rotation. I usually prep veggies one night a week and we just have salad and leftovers for dinner that night. That's the most prep I can handle right now. :smile:
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    CoffeeandHumblePie Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Carla, your meal looks delicious! You and Donna have me hankerin' for a stuffed pepper soon. Must try the salad too.

Mihana, thanks for the links. I'm trying the scramble for lunch! Glad your pup is doing well with recovery.

Donna, how did the solo swim go? I'm not a strong swimmer - I never learned to be comfortable with my face in the water. Too bad since I live in the land of 10,000 lakes!

Welcome, Pat! I just started a few days ago and am just about ready for the 6 week challenge. I need to sit down and plan my grocery list and do a prep day before I kick off. Sweet pup! We have a Bichon-Poo (Tucker) who is about 13-14 years old. He was a shelter dog and we are celebrating his 10 year anniversary with us at the end of May. He's slowing down nowadays, but still gets excited and has a "bichon blitz" every once in a while.

Donna, your sharing about your choices vs. Brooks reminded me of something I watched on youtube the other day - a video on how best to be a nutritarian if the family is not on board. I think it was Elisha Lee who said she decided to be an example but never to push her eating lifestyle on her family, but rather to be encouraging. When she prepares their meal - for example, pizza - she will also set out an array of nutritarian options. They no longer wolf down pizza alone but will add some of the nutritious options to their plate and she fills up on the good stuff. Her daughter eventually joined her! This was encouraging to me as we have a son in college and a daughter who is a high school senior still at home. But when those Oreo's are on the seat next to you? Challenging moment! I love your outlook!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Hi Pat, welcome to the group! Finn is a cutie! My husband and I have a goofball of our own, Ruby. She's an Australian Shepherd.

I have my share of bad photo i.d.'s too, Donna. I was so stoked because when we moved, I was able to renew my driver's license without changing the picture, and it is one of the rare ones that I'm actually happy with. Passport photos are usually grim since you can't smile at all!

Mihani, I've only had jicama a few times. It's like a mild turnip that isn't as hard, but nice and crunchy. We went to our friends place once and they served it cut into spears and sprinkled with a bit of cayenne. The only dressing on the salad was a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of salt & pepper. The stuffed peppers have a mozzarella-like cheese sauce baked on top.

I love bowls, too! I'm already looking forward to the Caribbean-Cuban fusion bowl we're having tomorrow. There's smoky black eyed peas in there, greens, sofrito, the picadillo stuffing, and barley. Pretty much all of the leftovers from the week thrown together.

My mom is coming out for the 2nd time this week for a walk. It's another cold day (30 F / -1 C), but we're going to brave the walk along the ocean anyway. This time I'm bringing a scarf to cover my face! If we have time, we might stop in the coffee shop for a tea and to do a bit of sketching. I did some this week and I'm rusty!
  • bisky
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Happy Thursday!

Mihani - I am happy your pup is recovering well. I too like big veggie bowls with a little rice and/or quinoa.

Pat - I love lab and golden doodles. They are so clever and sweet. We had a golden named Tucker...such a good name for a male dog (C &P post a picture of your Tucker). Now we have 3 little terrors - all 2nd hand dogs. A yorkie, a westie and a min. schnauzer. All 3 are oversized for their breed, not in weight but in height. My friend the Veterinarium calls Cleo, my black schnauzer, Ragno...which is spider in Italian. She has this funny little body with extra long legs and when she gets excited she gets low to the ground and scuttles around like a spider. When she sleeps she tucks this long legs under her and looks little.

C&P - the solo swim did not happen! Brooks is working evenings tonight - boo but he gets tomorrow off...so we met at the pool today and I swam 60 minutes with him. The important thing was I drove south to BAMC (Brooks Army Medical Center) and then North to YMCA by myself....totally out of my comfort. I moved to San Antonio in June from living in Italy for 2 years. My comfort zone of driving is slowly expanding. SA is the 7th biggest city in USA and the traffic & highways are scary. Never lived in Texas before. Lots of accidents. When Brooks (hubby, not the medical center) has trauma call he knows he will be up all night with MVA or gun shots. Sigh.

Brooks is so funny, I went shopping for groceries before swimming at commissary and he "stole" my salad. I bought a spinach, pecan cranberry salad that I was going to have after swimming because I am always so starved. Good thing I bought oranges too. They are in season here and I seem to be craving oranges now. I had plenty of left overs from last night.

Carla - can't wait to hear how the fusion bowl goes. My stuffed peppers were okay...I liked the ingredients on top of a salad better than I did stuffed in peppers. The soup was fantastic! It called for fennel which I love but some people don't..Also I substituted cilantro for parsley because I had that on hand for the stuffed peppers. I also doubled the amount of garlic.
    Here is a link to the soup:

http://www.theharvestkitchen.com/vegetarian-tuscan-white-bean-soup/

Carla, that sounds all so charming...a walk in the cold by the ocean and then hot tea and maybe a little sketching with your mother. Something like a victorian movie. I picture you wearing a hat you made. I know real life has its ups and downs but your planned day sounds wonderful. Raining here, I can walk in snow, wind, sun and cold but not rain... Please post some pictures for me of the ocean. I don't care if it is cloudy or not.

• CoffeeandHumblePie
    Options
    Brook stole your salad? The nerve! :D San Antonio! One of my sisters lives in Austin! My daughter and I spent a week with her and her daughter back in August. We had a blast! Love the hill country, Barton Springs (ice cold swimming!), Zilker Park (free outdoor musical every summer!), and Hamilton Pool Nature Trail. My sis is an avid disc golfer - there are lots of courses in that area. I love Minnesota, but I'd move to Austin area in a heart beat - so much to do! But the drivers are absolutely insane. Thanks for the soup recipe!

Carla, the ocean walk sounds lovely! One of my favorite places is the North Shore here in Minnesota. Lake Superior is our "inland" sea with crashing waves and icy cold water, year round.

Mihani, I made the scramble for lunch! It was delicious! The recipe says it serves 2 so I only ate half, then when I tracked calories on MFP I realized it's very low-cal. It didn't seem like it when I was eating it. (Speaking of tracking - I'm so used to keeping a food log, but it's not really necessary with ETL, is it? Do any of you keep a food log?)

I'll figure out how to post pictures and send one of Tucker. :)

• CoffeeandHumblePie
    Options
    Pictures of Tucker (one with daughter) and my first tofu scramble!
    zj8kcge2ggg5.jpeg
    2a6kjwmg85iz.jpeg
    gzeb1aaqsun7.jpeg
  • Mihani
    Options
    That's funny Brooks stole your salad, Donna. I have been craving citrus fruit the past couple weeks too. I have some clementines but should get some oranges. Going to try that soup. I'm ready for some new flavors, I've been in a rut. You should take a video of your spider dog.

Carla, will make a mental note to pick up some jicama next time I'm at the grocery. Hope you had a nice time with your mom. So your mom is also artistic?

C&P so glad you liked the scramble! I think it would serve two if you had some potatoes on the side or something, but I usually eat most of the batch at one meal myself. I don't track when I'm eating fully ETL because it's not necessary, and I don't track when I'm off plan because I don't want to know! LOL >:)

Pat, do you have a pool nearby you can join?

I was at the store to get stuff to make my vegan sushi for the party Saturday, and stocked up for an ETL week. Figure I can prep everything at once on Saturday and be ready to start the 6 week plan on Sunday. One thing I got on a whim was a bunch of mustard greens. They just looked so fresh and pretty! I have never cooked them myself, so I did a quick google and up popped the Fat Free Vegan website with this http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/07/balsamic-glazed-chickpeas-and-mustard.html

• Mihani
    Options
    That's a very happy looking dog C&P!
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    Options
    Mihani, I've been using mustard greens this week! Haven't had them since probably the 1980s. The first recipe I tried (yesterday) was very basic. Saute onions, add the greens, wilt, and then sprinkle with lemon juice. It wasn't as good as what my mom made when I was a girl --- oh wait, that had crumbled bacon and the dressing was bacon grease.....

Anyway, I used the mustard greens in the tofu scramble today. Yum!
  • valleyvixen2018
    valleyvixen2018 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in starting this plan...would love to know if it's been successful for you? Weight loss?? Health issues feeling better?? I would like to use it for both.
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    Options
    Quick question! As I continue to read Dr. Fuhrman's books and visit his website, it looks like I should begin using supplements (Vitamins: B12, D, K2, Iodine, Zinc). Could I ask what you all use?

Had a 1.6 loss this week! Yay!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Coffee&Pie, sweet pics of Tucker and your daughter. The tofu scramble looks delish. I take B12, and D, and I have 1 Tbsp of ground flax seed every day. I make sure the salt we use is iodized. Congrats on the weight loss!!

Hi, ValleyVixen! The closer I follow the plan, the better my weight loss and the better I feel. I have more energy, almost no headaches (compared to a headache almost every day), no acid reflux, and (tmi warning) easy and regular bowel movements. I'm also doing it to regulate my blood sugar. I haven't had new test results, but I'm confident it will help with that again, as it has in the past.

Donna, sorry, I didn't see your request for pictures until it was too late. The next time I go, I'll be sure to snap a few. I want to have some to sketch from as well. (I love fennel, too!)

The walk my mom and I went on was wonderful. Despite being cold, it was such a beautiful sunny day. We walked along the shore and then continued on through town, and then back down to the ocean and discovered another park. We walked for about 2 hours. I'm so glad we went, because it is snowing today and I probably won't be able to walk again for several days.

This coming week, our supper menu is Lentil Barley Pilaf Stuffed Acorn Squash, Eggplant Parm over Spaghetti Squash with Tomato-Basil sauce, Open-face Lentil Sloppy Joes with a side of Nutty Broccoli, Mushroom Barley Bowl with Creamy Basil sauce, and an ancient grain salad with lentils, tomatoes, olives and a garlicky vinaigrette. I'll try to be better about taking pictures before diving in this coming week!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi ValleyVixen! I always lose weight when I am following ETL and maintain as long as I stay mostly ETL most days. I went totally off eating right and exercise for a while and gained back some weight, but I am working to get it back off and going to start the 6 week plan on Sunday to give myself a good start. Carla mentioned no headaches, and that is true for me also. I have allergies/sinus problems and weirdly that clears up. I have less aches and pains, sleep better, and I'm less fatigued.

C&P, I take B12 and D, usually a few times a week. Daily I take a vegan DHA+EPA, glucosamine, and biotin (doc recommended biotin because my fingernails were brittle and breaking like crazy a couple years ago). Woohoo on your weight loss!!!

I actually bought fennel today. The grocery had big bags of brussels sprouts on sale and I love roasting brussels sprouts and fennel together. The flavors go really well together.

Going to take it easy tonight, and tomorrow will be a big cooking/prepping day followed by a party in the evening. I want to be ready to start the 6 week plan on Sunday.

• bisky
    Options
    Hi all,

Well another trip to the base. My yorkie has developed an eye infection and had to get meds.
    I finally got this driving to base which will save me $$ on groceries. I was going to the local store a lot.

C& P that tofu scramble looks delicious! Congratulations on your weight loss this week. You are doing so well. Tucker is darling!

Pat I only started swimming laps a little bit last year and I just love how aerobic it is but gentle on my joints.

Carla, you meals sound amazing! Esp. eggplant parmesan over spaghetti squash.

Mihani - fennel will be in season when I go to Italy and it is usually served slightly charred. Can't wait. I have never had brussel sprouts and fennel together. Everyones meals sound delicious.

Welcome Valley Vixen. In answer to your question I have lost 30 lbs since about October 2018, almost 40 lbs total. Still have a ways to go. I became serious at end of Sept/Oct and did the 6 week ETL, now on the level 2 in Dr. F's book Eat for Health. My cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides were all down in November and A1C was high side of normal...but still considered normal and blood sugar was normal. I have so much more energy it is scary some days. After moving back from two years in Italy I was sleeping a lot and could barely walk dogs up to 2 miles.

Big goal of 2 lbs. in 10 days before we leave for Italy...
  • bisky
    Options
    C & P - I do keep a food log. It just helps me in awareness and accountability to self. Most people do not need to do this to lose weight but I do. I do weigh foods like nuts, avocados, grains and sweet potato. I don't weigh most green veggies.