Pictures from outdoor exercise.

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Advantage is a really nice hull design for the right weight person. Efficient. That one looks good on you, @mtaratoot.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It has so much glide, it's completely ridiculous.

Funny, it also seems good to fish from... if you pay attention. I almost went for a swim (would have lost one rod and possibly a couple other things) but twitched my hips. I put foot straps on the foot bar so I am in better contact with the boat/water.

So. Much. Gide.
  • AnnPT77
    edited August 2021
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    It has so much glide, it's completely ridiculous.

Funny, it also seems good to fish from... if you pay attention. I almost went for a swim (would have lost one rod and possibly a couple other things) but twitched my hips. I put foot straps on the foot bar so I am in better contact with the boat/water.

So. Much. Gide.

(Nods.) That's what we call "the whee! factor".
  • mtaratoot
    Options

It's kind of odd.

It is a large river that has areas that are very underutilized. In fact, many people dismiss it as not very nice. It was extremely polluted as recently as the early 1970s when the Clean Water Act was passed. It has recovered quite well. Without DDT, the osprey and eagles have returned. There are lots of fish, although some are invasive. Lots of birds of all kinds. And on that Sunday, over 14 miles, once we left the beach we saw almost no other people. There was one person in waders under the bridge in the first quarter mile. Then about a mile from take-out there were two people on shore, and when we saw them the sheriff's marine patrol came zooming down from another river; we had a little chat, and they zoomed away.

That plant in the background is Wapato. It was a major food source for the first people of this part of the world.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,924 Member
    Options
    I'm drywalling every day, trying to finish up the renovation and get the house ready for the market. The rec room is just over 23 feet long by just over 15 feet wide... big enough for my pool table which was the original plan before we started talking about selling and moving east.

3sppghdq9dly.png
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I had a nice paddle. Of 22 river miles, I managed an extra mile just going back and forth across the river navigating through the low water.

kvncaszdj1xa.jpg

vuflqhnkfzta.jpg

j4uyc3kqdb9w.jpg

ws55s85pzebb.jpg

3mj04tjt43ae.jpg

dachvnkrw3d9.jpg

cr9wn9w425sy.jpg

uv1sn63ennqt.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    That looks amazing. I'm jealous!!
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm planning a long paddle for this weekend. Every year I paddle all the way around Presque Isle on Lake Erie. I don't know the mileage. I'm guessing it's about the same distance as the one you posted. Maybe a bit less.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    sigsby wrote: »
    I'm planning a long paddle for this weekend. Every year I paddle all the way around Presque Isle on Lake Erie. I don't know the mileage. I'm guessing it's about the same distance as the one you posted. Maybe a bit less.

Looks like a nice 14 or 15 mile paddle.

8aodwbfoj8qo.png

Take pictures!
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for that. I used to do this paddle once a year but haven't for a while. This year I am reviving it. If I get some good pics, I'll post them.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    You could stretch it to more than 20 miles if you explored all the inlets and hugged the shore rather than made straight lines.
    ibzkylrpdcu9.png
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Went for a paddle today. About 12 miles. With two friends; them in kayaks and me in a canoe. I was supposed to take someone else in my tandem, but they cancelled at the last minute so I took my fast solo boat.

ybal83iyxedy.jpg

51qhjxo8m416.jpg

joub0bkjzagl.jpg

ai17isgissgk.jpg

• mtaratoot
    Options
    Sorry if this is getting routine and/or boring. Yep. Did it again this weekend. This time about 17 miles that included the 14 miles we did August 22. We started about three miles further upstream; it actually makes the shuttle easier.

01z6sewcpruk.png

We paddled a tiny bit up the Luckiamute River; I caught fish in two different rivers.

This group likes to just drift sometimes so we were out over five hours. Near the beginning of the trip we saw the remains of a fire someone set in the middle of the river. Odd.

6izopbs1mzp3.jpg

Otherwise we were simply treated to the beginning of fall colors, mild temperature, only a little wind, beautiful clouds, good company, and a refreshing beverage.

ittg3cnidlyc.jpg

qq77w65c6p2q.jpg

42a1drfyy7nb.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    What an odd place for a fire!! Safer than most campfires, I suppose...
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Well.....

Had to go pick up dive gear so took a canoe. Met up with an old friend and did a short six mile paddle starting on the Middle Fork and ending on the mainstem.

l9vmodp9ymrd.png

Things are WAY more exciting in a fast long canoe than a whitewater kayak on water like that. Fortunately I did not have an "out of boat experience." Almost....

2p96gcw1k292.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I like your canoe/river photos, @mtaratoot! I'd share some of my own, but it's a little fussy to work with a camera in a rowing shell (control both oars, or swim - camera can be done, but . . . .).

Here are a couple of random photos from the trail, from today's bike ride (before my (bleep) shifter failed on the way home!).

1k4cjd7nfg3s.jpg
    8eil3tap085z.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    edited September 2021
    Options
    This lovely creature, and 3 friends, were lunching on either side of the path (and gradually meandering across it) on my walk today.
    6lh9r1t0rh46.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Monday night, when I was supervising open rowing, I went down to the dock to replace the duck fence, and took this photo looking East, downriver, right around sunset. The funny looking boats moored at left are "wakeless launches" that the women's varsity rowing coaches use. (They're not actually wakeless, just kind of minimally wake-y. They can slosh our smaller shells around pretty nicely.)
    fytycogsgjw5.jpg

• mtaratoot
    Options
    Paddling day today.

Some friends called last night and said, "We're going to Waldo tomorrow. You should join us. We're packed, and Matt wants to leave at 07:00, but I know we won't leave until 08:00." I sent a text to my ex; we both love Waldo. She said she'd be interested in going; I called my other friends back. They're up there now camping; we just went for the day.

Only about 6.5 miles. On the way out, the wind was pretty stiff, and it was blowing from the south end of the lake. The first two miles or so also was open to the most fetch on this very large natural ultra-oligotrophic lake. We had lots of chop. I put my ex in my big canoe. I forgot how awful it is in wind, but at least it's very seaworthy and can handle the chop well. Was fun.

We stuck to the very north end of the lake. Once on the western half, the wind subsided. We were sheltered by hills on the shore.

j6xpoltbnn4j.jpg

4vvpsmytb0lz.jpg

We paddled back to where North Fork Middle Fork starts. That's my church.

59t6r0e86lu4.jpg

cidc3szz1943.jpg

We walked around a bit and ate lunch, then paddled back.

lnlyggaoudav.jpg

3t5cwtwcvg7s.jpg

6731f26d1fo0.jpg

• mtaratoot
    Options
    I went to the forest. On the way I saw one of the most beautiful fall plants...

ooq39fmkacoj.jpg

Look familiar? Here's a closer view:

vhq8hior6d52.png

Toxicodendron diversilobum

I saw foliage in the forest. Since it is mostly an evergreen coniferous forest, not much fall color.

87t4xslc71do.jpg

I was hoping the rain this week would get the Pacific Golden Chanterelles fruiting. Nope. I found two. One was a little button, and it was nice and firm. But it was covered with green mold. I found another that was slimy, rotting, and filled with beetles. I did find a Lobster mushroom.

ddedv8kl40vv.jpg

Then on the way back, I decided to bushwhack to explore an area I've been meaning to explore for a while. I'll go back when the chanterelles finally do start popping up. I found several more lobsters. Here's what you see on the ground, what you see as you clear away the duff, and what it looks like after it is picked.

oyuhbp0i6yxu.jpg

qh4ozn3n8mwr.jpg

88cdd1jd8xw2.jpg

I got home and took a short walk around the neighborhood to enjoy some of the beautiful autumn colors.

c9a9njravgxu.jpg
    18ttel38jt1m.jpg
    cwtwhkvd7sxc.jpg
    dly20z5b3i6c.jpg
    usrsorxmjafi.jpg
    a459kt7g7bpb.jpg

More tomorrow!