Pictures from outdoor exercise.

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    Today was a 19.9 mile paddle on moving water. We were going downstream. Most of the trip was great. We put in at 10:00. We saw a very few other groups the first ten miles. I haven't done this stretch in a few years except about 1.5 years ago when it was in a HUGE flood and my buddy and I went on an adventure. I'm pretty sure I wrote about this.

This trip was more mellow and beautiful. My buddy just got a "new" boat; his first solo canoe. It's the yellow one. This was the trip he got it out for the first time other than a little time in a reservoir with the previous owner before he bought it.

dpsdkc4iu6vk.jpg

a12lzaf48vc3.jpg

By the time we got to the half-way point, we were behind the early morning crowd and just at the front of the afternoon crowd. In fast boats, we had come upon sight of another group, so we put on the juice and passed them to be back again in a quiet place. But at the half-way point, a group of folks in tubes and the like were just launching. We boogied on past them. With the upstream wind, we never saw them again.

a4ror4vheh5p.jpg

The next couple hours was a tiny bit more crowded. Just a bit. We saw maybe three or four other small groups of paddlers. Then when we got to the last 1.5 miles or so, it got nuts. In fact, it was like dodging a moving parade of people in tubes towing coolers of liquid refreshments. Holy cats!

odrmt4i0ntbg.jpg

I was frankly surprised how few motorized boats we saw. It was a great day; I'd do it again.

vjomoi5d1pa8.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    There won't be any outdoor exercise for a while. It's not safe to breathe the air right now.

My street mid-day:
    qgtuw2aa7a8t.jpg

The boat ramp at the river:
    wjysrwhnryy6.jpg

The Masonic cemetery:
    a53qpwplm0fm.jpg

Staring directly at the sun mid-day:
    d1cfe0dabuc8.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    The air has improved dramatically the past week. There's still some smoke/haze some days, but it's mostly not at ground level nor as thick. We can see the sun when the fog clears in the afternoon.

I got invited to join a group of paddlers yesterday. We had a nice day on the river. This is a small group of people who like to PADDLE not float. We covered 20 miles in just under four hours, and 48 minutes of that time was a lunch stop.

I got to try out a new paddle. It's very light - just 15 ounces. Unfortunately, it was about two inches too long. I'm going to get a shorter one, and the person who sold it to me will use it as a demo/instructor paddle for people who aren't as vertically challenged as I.

My boat is pretty fast, and some of this group is, well let's just say they are older than middle aged. I still struggled to keep up much of the time. I give myself slack, though. One boat was a tandem. Two engines! Another was a Clipper Sea-1. That's almost 18' long semi-decked canoe that the paddler had built specifically for him to run the Yukon race. He's entered nine times and finished six. Holy cats. The other fellow has been racing canoes for 50 years. So it's not like I am slow. Just ~relatively~ slow.

Nice day. I just wish the sun had come out sooner than 25 minutes after we got off the water. Oh well.

opet5ogpqfd4.jpg
    knpi0eqatukp.jpg
    zgvuzef79j9l.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Group picnic with my SE MI Elder Orphan group buddies today (very fun) at Kensington Metropark, then a solo bike ride, as long as I was there. Mid-Michigan is coloring up nicely.
    1a2v6r3qbguv.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Wow look at those leaves! We're not going to get a lot of color here this year. Too hot dry all summer, and then the smoke.

I got back out on the river yesterday with that group of fast people. We paddled 15.5 miles from Pengra to Island Park. This section has braided channels and trees in the water to avoid. It also has some small rapids as well as some shoals that would really damage my boat. Fortunately I didn't touch a single rock.

I tried a paddle that was two inches shorter, and it's almost the right size. I think one inch shorter will be PERFECT. The group is already planning next week's trip, and when we do something down in the mid-valley (no rocks to worry about), one of the guys is going to bring a carbon Voyager for me to try. It's only six inches longer than my boat, but it's a few inches narrower. And carbon is even LIGHTER and stiffer.

My average moving speed was 6.4 mph, and it didn't even rain that much!

xomyjs5guczr.jpg
    qyw47qi3qza3.jpg
    wgt4knoe3rnt.jpg

9k921jt2rcaf.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Still at it, same boat, same river . . . different 70-something-y/o stroke rower (in blue), Melissa. Me in yellow in bow.
    p1whun97rgah.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    What a beautiful day for a day in the shell. Just gorgeous!

I skipped on the "fast canoe group" last weekend to go hunt mushrooms. I think they took this week off due to the beautiful but cold weather and low river levels. I hope they invite me back.
  • 927caryo
    927caryo Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I enjoy walking the hills in my town - they force a little extra burn and the view!
  • 927caryo
    Options
    buplmqisnzjb.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Lovely autumn colors!
  • 927caryo
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Lovely autumn colors!
    Mother Nature is putting on an extra special show this autumn in New England.
  • 927caryo
    Options
    ni5tbzjhyq55.jpeg

More beautiful foliage - morning hill walk.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,920 Member
    Options
    The leafs seem extra colourful this year... Maybe Mother Nature trying to make up for the covid debacle...
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    l4g81a3yafkh.jpeg
    7l5w1qcrpzwk.jpeg
    4hkwigsyhurq.jpeg

Just finished my latest boat, a Bear Mountain Redbird. It successfully escaped the basement workshop and is on the truck waiting for decent weather for it’s maiden voyage.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Lovely, @Farback!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Another beautiful boat!

I've been working through watching a young man rebuilding an old sailboat called Tally Ho. Very interesting indeed!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Wildflowers from today's walk.

Spring Beauty (Claytonia sp., probably virginica), Trout Lily (Erythronium americanum), Trillium (probably Trillium grandiflorum.

3z6wlejhv6pj.jpg
    39v7nidngy2p.jpg
    fwrfmkdygiix.jpg
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    A freak snowstorm last Tuesday followed by a killer freeze.

My blooming lilacs.

1i7tcngv1csz.jpg

Three of my four lilacs got bit but the fourth's blooms were still buds so didn't freeze. It's blooming now.

g7mds8dpu59u.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    The only picture is in my mind. I didn't bring a camera. I was worried about swimming out of the boat.

I got a "new" whitewater canoe. It's over 20 years old, but new to me. Mad River Outrage. It's 12' long with lots of rocker. I tried to get in once, and it threw me in the water before I was even in the saddle. I've spent a lot more time in whitewater canoes since then, and I bought this one from a buddy. I think I'm going to like it.

I drove down to a river access on the downstream side of town where it's shallow and very little current. Near my house is an eddy, but past the eddy is strong current. Not a good place to swim. I got in the boat and paddled about a mile upstream. Slowly. It's so much different from my ultralight. Instead of sit and switch, it's one-side paddling with a correction at the end of EVERY stroke, or you'll spin in circles. The boat felt really solid. I am now looking forward to getting it on some whitewater.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,920 Member
    Options
    My wife and I walked the dog in one of Ottawa's many parks. The tulips are blooming... almost as lovely as my wife... almost...

ky2tru88yhi9.png