Pictures from outdoor exercise.

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,924 Member
    Options
    It's been so many years since I've done either canoe or kayak... Hopefully once I'm moved, I'll be able to get back into the fun.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Well, I went paddling with "a few friends" this weekend.

It was a little bit different from any recent paddle trips I've done....

f2w0wod112u5.jpg

I was a support volunteer for a two-day paddle and camp trip for a non-profit environmental organization. We had 58 boats. There would have been more, but the dates had to change from late June due to high water. I was asked to be one of two sweep boaters, and on the second morning I hopped in my boat and watched everyone head downstream. Huge mass of paddlers. The food was great, the wine was fabulous, and the entertainment was entertaining. Not terribly long days, about 14 or 15 miles each day, but we worked to help shepherd people who were struggling.

My favorite part was when one of the other paddlers asked me, "When you paddle, why does it look so effortless?" My paddle weighs maybe 12 ounces instead of several pounds. I mentioned that helps. I also mentioned it wasn't my first day in a canoe. I didn't say I was still working, but trying to be ~efficient~ without wasted energy.

• UncleMac
    Options
    Expertise looks easy... but takes a whole lotta work to get there...
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »

That's why I mentioned it wasn't my first day.

I got to help give some tips to struggling paddlers, and I did mention that someone can work on the forward stroke for 20 years and still have room for improvement. It's ALWAYS a work in progress. @AnnPT77 would probably tell me the same can be said for rowing from a sliding seat. It's also the very tiny correction strokes I can add to the catch or the last part of the stroke for fine tuning.

Some folks were really challenged by the wind. If they let the boat get a little bit sideways to it, it just spun the boat totally sideways. It can be difficult to pull the bow back into the wind, and it always blows upstream in the afternoon. I can't even believe I used the "W" word. Bad luck! This can make it even harder for folks who don't have the finesse to recognize when the yaw starts to happen and to correct, and HOW to correct without dumping momentum. So many people in the stern of tandem canoes fall back on a type of rudder stroke that saps all momentum. If they just get that blade far back and not out to the side, they can make the boat turn without dumping all speed. Bow can also move the boat if they know how, but it's more of an advanced technique. That's why so many people think you steer from the stern. I can tell you that it's EASY to initiate an eddy turn from the bow of a tandem.

I kind of think canoes are more difficult than kayaks, so kudos to people who hop in a canoe for a longish trip like this. It was a joy to see the progress they made with their paddling with a few tips from people who've been at it a while.

Today is a rest day and a day to try to stay out of the heat. We have four days of "Excess Heat" in the forecast. Maybe I should go to the coast.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I kind of think canoes are more difficult than kayaks, so kudos to people who hop in a canoe for a longish trip like this. It was a joy to see the progress they made with their paddling with a few tips from people who've been at it a while.

I haven't had much experience in kayaks but I know canoes can be a handful, especially if one or the other paddlers are inexperienced. Once while coupled with an inexperienced paddler, I put her in the front but she kept switching sides trying to steer the canoe from the front with predictable results.

On the way back (ocean water... not much current) she insisted on being in the back because she was sure it was much easier and she was tired.... Yeah, I slept well that night.
  • mtaratoot
    Options

I haven't had much experience in kayaks but I know canoes can be a handful, especially if one or the other paddlers are inexperienced. Once while coupled with an inexperienced paddler, I put her in the front but she kept switching sides trying to steer the canoe from the front with predictable results.

On the way back (ocean water... not much current) she insisted on being in the back because she was sure it was much easier and she was tired.... Yeah, I slept well that night.

Two words: Solo canoe.

In a tandem canoe, ideally the "gorilla" (power plant) is in the bow position. That's the engine. Stern paddler has an easier time controlling yaw. A good bow paddler can do amazing things with yaw, too.

It can be hard for novice paddlers to "pick a side" and paddle on that side. With a straight shaft blade, that's how I paddle a tandem canoe. It's also how I paddle my whitewater solo canoe. If I have to take a stroke on my "off" side, I don't change hand position but just rotate over and make a stroke or three on the off side. In my case that's left. Ideally, as a right handed person, I'd be stronger paddling on the left. My finesses is all on the right. My buddy has been practicing paddling on the left so we can go run some whitewater in my tandem. With a bent-shaft paddle, I change to "sit and switch." Flatwater technique. Two or three strokes on one side, then switch. It keeps forward momentum up. The boat slowly starts to yaw, and the switch corrects it. First stroke slows/stops the yaw, and second or third strokes starts a tiny yaw in the other direction. Rinse and repeat. Good rhythm, and it makes single-blade paddling more symmetric, which has to be good for my aching back.

Of course when I take my bent shaft paddle and flatwater canoe on "rapids" (no more than class 2 or 2-), I often revert back to sticking to one side and making correction strokes at the end (and sometimes beginning) of each stroke. Keeps a stick in the water, and any time you're paddling you get an extra brace to keep you upright.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options

That's why I mentioned it wasn't my first day.

I got to help give some tips to struggling paddlers, and I did mention that someone can work on the forward stroke for 20 years and still have room for improvement. It's ALWAYS a work in progress. @AnnPT77 would probably tell me the same can be said for rowing from a sliding seat. It's also the very tiny correction strokes I can add to the catch or the last part of the stroke for fine tuning.

Oh, man, yes: There's always something. If one is making good steady technical progress, the "somethings" get more detailed and nuanced, but for a duffer like me, there's also a certain amount of revisiting technique that I used to be sharper on, but that slipped a bit while I was focusing on something else.

It's one of my favorite things about rowing, actually, that there's always something to work on - technique for sure, but also power/strength. That's what I liked about martial arts, too: The permanent opportunity for learning.

Some folks were really challenged by the wind. If they let the boat get a little bit sideways to it, it just spun the boat totally sideways. It can be difficult to pull the bow back into the wind, and it always blows upstream in the afternoon. I can't even believe I used the "W" word. Bad luck! This can make it even harder for folks who don't have the finesse to recognize when the yaw starts to happen and to correct, and HOW to correct without dumping momentum. So many people in the stern of tandem canoes fall back on a type of rudder stroke that saps all momentum. If they just get that blade far back and not out to the side, they can make the boat turn without dumping all speed. Bow can also move the boat if they know how, but it's more of an advanced technique. That's why so many people think you steer from the stern. I can tell you that it's EASY to initiate an eddy turn from the bow of a tandem.

I'm not saying anything you don't know here, rather just chatting, but of course the canoe's shape and suitability to the paddler makes a huge difference in how much the boat blows around, too.

Since I've lost weight, I'm much better off in the Voyager if I add some weight (loaded cooler(s), random non-participating passenger since it's a solo boat, whatever). With just me and nothing else, it sits pretty high and catches a lot of wind, if there is some to catch: Makes for harder work. I bought it just in case I wanted a tripping/touring boat, but even for that I'd be better off now with something a bit smaller, less freeboard.

I also see people rowing solo in tandem tub-esque bow-to-stern symmetric canoes (like the classic aluminum Grumman type thing) sitting in stern to paddle, leaving the bow pointing well up skyward and creating a high end that wants to spin the boat in wind. I used to paddle those (well, I think they were Michicrafts, actually - similar deal) out of a livery on my lunch hour occasionally, and had to convince the kiddos that I knew what I was doing when I sat in the bow seat facing backwards and paddled in that direction, to get the boat a little more trim. (Kneeling to paddle in a work dress and pantyhose is a non-starter. 😆)

Same concept with bow shape, of course: The high bow, or the high rounded ones on some of the old wood & canvas numbers like some Old Town models, are good for some conditions, but can be a bit of a wind issue in others.

Today is a rest day and a day to try to stay out of the heat. We have four days of "Excess Heat" in the forecast. Maybe I should go to the coast.

• mtaratoot
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm not saying anything you don't know here, rather just chatting, but of course the canoe's shape and suitability to the paddler makes a huge difference in how much the boat blows around, too.

Since I've lost weight, I'm much better off in the Voyager if I add some weight (loaded cooler(s), random non-participating passenger since it's a solo boat, whatever). With just me and nothing else, it sits pretty high and catches a lot of wind, if there is some to catch: Makes for harder work. I bought it just in case I wanted a tripping/touring boat, but even for that I'd be better off now with something a bit smaller, less freeboard.

I took my Encounter out last week since I hadn't in a while. It catches more wind than the Voyager. The Voyager is more of a performance boat; the Encounter is an expedition boat. Made to haul a month's worth of gear. Very seaworthy. Lots of primary stability. High bow and sides means windage for sure.

The Advantage is only six inches shorter and a few inches narrower and has a whopping half inch of rocker. The difference between the two is vast. A novice paddler might or might not notice. I sure do. The Encounter will probably be set aside for what it's good for - multi day trips hauling a ton of gear. Or trips with bigger waves that would come over the side of the Advantage. I'd actually really like to try out a Voyager. I might fall in love again.

I also see people rowing solo in tandem tub-esque bow-to-stern symmetric canoes (like the classic aluminum Grumman type thing) sitting in stern to paddle, leaving the bow pointing well up skyward and creating a high end that wants to spin the boat in wind. I used to paddle those (well, I think they were Michicrafts, actually - similar deal) out of a livery on my lunch hour occasionally, and had to convince the kiddos that I knew what I was doing when I sat in the bow seat facing backwards and paddled in that direction, to get the boat a little more trim. (Kneeling to paddle in a work dress and pantyhose is a non-starter. 😆)

Same concept with bow shape, of course: The high bow, or the high rounded ones on some of the old wood & canvas numbers like some Old Town models, are good for some conditions, but can be a bit of a wind issue in others.

I have seen canoes set up with oars, but they usually row from center. I've for sure seen people paddling from the stern position solo in a tandem boat, and yeah - bow is a wind catcher. One of the guests this weekend was in an inflatable that her legs weren't long enough for, so she moved the seat far forward. The boat was VERY bow heavy, so she was out of the wind but plowing water. I mentioned something about being bow heavy, and she said yeah. She thought her paddle was too short to paddle from the center of the WIDE boat.

A couple decades ago, I was helping with a day trip. The organization provided canoes to people who didn't have them. There was a sign-up, and solo people were matched up. One person who hadn't done the orientation (and who later admitted to being more of a tube floater than a paddler) hopped in the stern of a tandem. I think she was easily over 300 pounds. A significant portion of the hull was in the air. The executive director who was in charge looked at me, looked at that boat, and said, "I didn't authorize that." At first we tried to load up one end with rocks to get the trim right. Eventually a very kind person agreed to hop in the boat with her, and someone else took his boat.

Then there's the canoe ballet paddlers. Kneeling in the corner of the hull, kind of sideways, and doing amazing things.

I will say my Encounter is a bit of a bugger to pull back upwind if it gets sideways. Sometimes you have to resort to a K-turn, making an initial turn in reverse, then telling the wind, "Oooo.. look over there!" and spinning around into it.

Did I mention I like paddling?

And now rowing?

I have never been in a shell or a scull. I'm afraid I'd love it, but I wouldn't love the time commitment to be on a crew.

I'm joining a little whitewater trip on Thursday on a very cold river to beat the triple digit heat. Now I just have to decide if I want to challenge myself with my whitewater canoe and possibly swim at one particular rapid or keep my legs out of the sun in my little kayak. I should take the kayak. It's been on the hard for longer than the canoe. In fact, it's the boat that's been the longest since I've had it in the water. Yeah. That's it!
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I took my Encounter out last week since I hadn't in a while. It catches more wind than the Voyager. The Voyager is more of a performance boat; the Encounter is an expedition boat. Made to haul a month's worth of gear. Very seaworthy. Lots of primary stability. High bow and sides means windage for sure.

The Advantage is only six inches shorter and a few inches narrower and has a whopping half inch of rocker. The difference between the two is vast. A novice paddler might or might not notice. I sure do. The Encounter will probably be set aside for what it's good for - multi day trips hauling a ton of gear. Or trips with bigger waves that would come over the side of the Advantage. I'd actually really like to try out a Voyager. I might fall in love again.

I have seen canoes set up with oars, but they usually row from center. I've for sure seen people paddling from the stern position solo in a tandem boat, and yeah - bow is a wind catcher. One of the guests this weekend was in an inflatable that her legs weren't long enough for, so she moved the seat far forward. The boat was VERY bow heavy, so she was out of the wind but plowing water. I mentioned something about being bow heavy, and she said yeah. She thought her paddle was too short to paddle from the center of the WIDE boat.
    Yeah, I've seen row rigs for canoes, though mostly fixed-seat setups. I think Piragis Northwoods used to carry one. Might work on one of my solo canoes, more likely the Voyager (don't trust the super-thin wood gunwales on the Advantage to be up to it).

I'm not motivated to go that route, though. If anything I might look for a very long double paddle to use with the Advantage. I've thought about that, but it hasn't reached the top of my motivation list. (The list is long, and my general motivation low these days, anyway.) If I wanted to row on slightly heavier water, an ocean shell would be more suitable.
    A couple decades ago, I was helping with a day trip. The organization provided canoes to people who didn't have them. There was a sign-up, and solo people were matched up. One person who hadn't done the orientation (and who later admitted to being more of a tube floater than a paddler) hopped in the stern of a tandem. I think she was easily over 300 pounds. A significant portion of the hull was in the air. The executive director who was in charge looked at me, looked at that boat, and said, "I didn't authorize that." At first we tried to load up one end with rocks to get the trim right. Eventually a very kind person agreed to hop in the boat with her, and someone else took his boat.

Then there's the canoe ballet paddlers. Kneeling in the corner of the hull, kind of sideways, and doing amazing things.
    Yeah, the freestyle paddlers/boats are quite fascinating to watch. I thought about freestyle boats when I was first solo-canoe shopping (decades ago, when I bought the retired racing model 25-pound Advantage as a used boat, with a seat added). Realistically, I didn't then have the impetus to master that level of technique, and these days I spend my technical-engagement bandwidth on the rowing.

Also (gasp), I don't really enjoy whitewater, so far . . . or thrilling fast things in general.

I remember watching a guy somewhere deep into Algonquin Provincial Park (on the Petawawa river) playing in the evening on some decently big standing waves in a rapid (class III maybe?) in an open canoe, looking completely relaxed and in control, no float bags, just open. Impressive, but . . . yeah, no.
    I will say my Encounter is a bit of a bugger to pull back upwind if it gets sideways. Sometimes you have to resort to a K-turn, making an initial turn in reverse, then telling the wind, "Oooo.. look over there!" and spinning around into it.
    I paddled the Encounter when I was figuring out what to buy, in the purchase decision that resulted in the Voyager. Even then - weighing around 40% more than I do now - it was too big a boat for me, would've been even loaded with everything I'd expect to take for around 10 days in Algonquin (my definition of the ideal vacation, at the time - closer to me than Boundary Waters, despite being in a "foreign country").

Wenonah puts the modern Advantage and the Voyager in the same boat class, Performance Touring. I'm pretty sure I could load that Advantage with what I'd need for a decent backwoods trip - if so inclined - and be fine. The Voyager - at current bodyweight - would probably be OK-ish, but I think it would still ride a little higher than ideal, probably. I haven't done a formal experiment, though I've paddled it in wind on a good-sized lake with some random weight in it (i.e., weight besides me).
    Did I mention I like paddling?

And now rowing?

I have never been in a shell or a scull. I'm afraid I'd love it, but I wouldn't love the time commitment to be on a crew.
    Sculling doesn't require a crew or a fixed schedule, necessarily. Many/most single scullers go out on their own, even if rowing out of a club's boathouse.

My club is tiny (maybe 30-40 members?), and that's pretty much the only way to row: Go out on your own (full members get boathouse keys), or buddy up with friends (my main approach, in order to row bigger boats, have some carrying help if rowing something other than my racing single, and have a safety margin of being on the water with others).

We do offer a couple of 2-hour blocks in the Summer, after the learn-to-row class, 6-8 on Tu/Th, where an experienced rower will be at the boathouse to help carry, give tips, etc. Other than that and occasional boathouse parties, that's it. No other schedules, no schedule requirements for those who've demonstrated they can carry a boat to the water that they can reasonably-safely row solo. In our club, members don't need to own a boat: The club has many. They're a little beat-up, because we're financially marginal, but functional.

I do think lessons are a really, really good plan, though. Clubs will generally require either class completion, or demonstration of competence. Many clubs offer a learn to row class (in sculling clubs like ours, they're sculling-centric). The Concept 2 folks now own Craftsbury Outdoor Center, and last I knew they'd accommodate true beginners in some of their sessions. (Great place to visit as a vacation, in Northern Vermont, national-class coaching, amazing food (all cooked/baked on site, mostly sourced from local farmers and their own gardens - foodie heaven), more.) Private coaching is also an option in some areas, but usually high cost.
    I'm joining a little whitewater trip on Thursday on a very cold river to beat the triple digit heat. Now I just have to decide if I want to challenge myself with my whitewater canoe and possibly swim at one particular rapid or keep my legs out of the sun in my little kayak. I should take the kayak. It's been on the hard for longer than the canoe. In fact, it's the boat that's been the longest since I've had it in the water. Yeah. That's it!

You and I are currently geeking out about paddling/rowing on two different threads now where it's technically off-topic. Maybe we should start a "Geeking Out About Human-Powered Boating" thread, or something. 🤣
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    You and I are currently geeking out about paddling/rowing on two different threads now where it's technically off-topic. Maybe we should start a "Geeking Out About Human-Powered Boating" thread, or something. 🤣

Nah.

I'm trying to inspire more interest. It's my church after all.

My friends that only do whitewater don't understand the joy and grace that comes with paddling a fast boat on moving or flat water. My friends who only paddle on flat water consider whitewater "scary wet death."

Surfing on SMALL glassy waves with a long, fast boat is really fun. Someone on shore with kids last week saw my friend and I doing that and asked how we could just be there not paddling and not going downstream. Once I explained how a river wave works, he wondered why he hadn't thought of that.

I'll go do something else outside and take a picture of THAT to get back on topic.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @AnnPT77

The crew I have access to here is the Masters team associated with the local university. I've never seen anyone out on a solo boat as part of what they do. I know a few folks that own them. They recruit once a year, and they for sure have schedules and competitions. So I'll probably not get the chance to learn. That's OK. I have enough boats. Wait. I didn't mean that. Just one more....
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    There were 3 new detours on the trails, on my bike ride today. I believe this to be signage for two different detours. Figger it out, suckahs!

h6a7iy6cl6ub.jpg
    [/quote]

@mtaratoot: I'm pretty much in the "scary wet death" faction. I like an efficient, long, narrow boat, though. It's something about the physicality in (relative) stillness that appeals, I think.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @mtaratoot, you're over 60 or at least close, aren't you? If evangelizing for water-activity fun is your mission, consider visiting this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10718336/60-yrs-and-up/#latest

There's been a recent sub-thread, starting maybe around page 177, with gently trying to get less-active folks to believe that exercise doesn't need to be some miserable hated gym-y thing done out of duty to get healthier or burn calories, but can be any form of moving more that's fun . . . and happens to also promote health/fitness and burn some calories. Ridiculous59 (intentionally not tagged here because I think she's not in this group) has been talking about her dragon boating, plus some Winter outdoor fun, I've posted about the moonlight row and stuff seen while biking, etc.

You'd fit right in, and some canoe/kayak photos could help the message, I think.
  • mtaratoot
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @AnnPT77 - Not quite over 60 yet. I stopped working pretty young because I could and because staying with the situation I was in was unhealthy at best. Very unpleasant environment.

But speaking of kayaking.....

I took my whitewater kayak out yesterday for the first time in over two years. I bought a new sprayskirt about a year ago and still hadn't used it. The boat was FILTHY, so I dragged it out a couple days ago and gave it a bath. I even put some 303 on it to protect the plastic and make it shiny.

The skirt fit really well. For the first time in a VERY long time, I got done with no water in my boat. I had dry feet and a dry butt. I even surfed quite a bit, and that means water coming up onto the bow and plowing into the front of the skirt. I've had my old skirt since 2006. I bought it for a Grand Canyon trip. It's been down the canyon twice as well as many many other trips. It had started to leak pretty badly. I remember surfing and then leaning over to the side and could feel when the water sloshed over to one side. I'd often end my session on a river wave by pulling over, getting out, and sponging out the gallon or three of water in the boat. I'm stoked about the new skirt.

I forgot how much I love to dance on the water with my RPM. It's a nine-foot old-school displacement hull boat. So fluid. So forgiving. I can move quickly across the current either forward or backwards, and I can surf waves of so many sizes. They stopped making them for the retail market years ago, but still made them for kayak schools. They made a few in 2009, then they made a few in a "Limited Edition" in 2013. That's when I bought this boat... for another Grand Canyon trip. I didn't paddle that much because I was also back-up oarsman, and we had an injury early in the trip. I learned to row, and I also fell in love with that.

It was hot out - three digit hot. I just wore some thin 0.5 mm neoprene shorts, an old Hydroskin shirt, and a short-sleeve semi-dry paddle top. The water was warmer than it usually is, but at 59° it was still cold. I was pleasantly surprised that after I'd go through a wave or hole and get gallons of water all over, I would momentarily be slightly chilled, but it didn't last.

We had one swimmer at Marten Creek Rapids. I got to practice my rescue skills. He had trouble hanging on to his boat AND mine, in part because he had no displacement bags in his boat so it was full of 90 gallons of water. I eventually was able to get him to shore, then paddle back up from that eddy to the eddy above where someone else was wrangling his boat. I hooked in to my tow tether and brought his boat back to him. Then while my group was eating lunch, I tried to find more surf waves.

Tomorrow I'll be in a tandem canoe with a friend pulling invasive weeds with an organized group, then Sunday in a solo canoe scouting the first day of a five-day paddle trip. Yeah. I guess I like paddles.

pxszo8wtr0j7.jpg

• AnnPT77
    Options
    @AnnPT77 - Not quite over 60 yet. I stopped working pretty young because I could and because staying with the situation I was in was unhealthy at best. Very unpleasant environment.

(snip good kayaking trip report)

Kayak outing sounds very fun - I definitely lack those skills.

The thread I mentioned has welcomed some other later-50s folks . . . no ID check at the door. 😉

• mtaratoot
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I wrote this yesterday and tried to post it, but for some reason it didn't send. Trying again.....

I pulled weeds today.

From a canoe.

We mostly targeted Lewigia and Parrots Feather.

At the take-out today there was a big crowd. Of course. Because it was near 100 degrees, and the water is wet & cool. There's a new concessionaire that rents small rafts, inflatable kayaks, and very nice tubes (RMR brand; actually as tough as a raft). But there was this one guy who must have decided it was a good idea to take his truck across what is now a "low water ford" to a gravel island. He was just sitting there, in a chair, with his cooler, and his big truck next to him. He had to drive through the river to get there. Not sure if it's legal. I'll pass the picture along in case someone wants to follow up. Oh. Yeah. With all the people swimming, wading, sitting in the shade, and taking boats in and out, everyone (EVERYONE) was avoiding this silly man.

r229nrn422w2.jpg

• mtaratoot
    Options
    Today I helped scout the first day of an upcoming five-day paddling and camping trip to support an environmental organization. This stretch probably has the most hazards. It's definitely one of the steepest, and there is lots of wood in the river.

We saw a few places that were fine for people with boat handling skills that we all agreed we would go around a different way. There's one place people will have to get out of their boats and line them through some channels through a gravel bar because the route going around the bar leads into several very dangerous strainers. I paddled the "dangerous" part along with a couple other boats. We all had NO problem, but we agreed the guests shouldn't be allowed to go that way. Another place was very similar, but not quite as technical. We're sending people the "easy" way. The first one isn't easy. Folks will have to get through places their boats won't float. It will be an adventure. Some people will complain. That happens. We'll still have fun...

midvcoaq7nfy.jpg
    dh2idbukhiyc.jpg
    oapgvgxp6abz.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I wrote this yesterday and tried to post it, but for some reason it didn't send. Trying again.....

I pulled weeds today.

From a canoe.

We mostly targeted Lewigia and Parrots Feather.

At the take-out today there was a big crowd. Of course. Because it was near 100 degrees, and the water is wet & cool. There's a new concessionaire that rents small rafts, inflatable kayaks, and very nice tubes (RMR brand; actually as tough as a raft). But there was this one guy who must have decided it was a good idea to take his truck across what is now a "low water ford" to a gravel island. He was just sitting there, in a chair, with his cooler, and his big truck next to him. He had to drive through the river to get there. Not sure if it's legal. I'll pass the picture along in case someone wants to follow up. Oh. Yeah. With all the people swimming, wading, sitting in the shade, and taking boats in and out, everyone (EVERYONE) was avoiding this silly man.

r229nrn422w2.jpg

Reminds me of a case I dealt with many years ago (1998, I think) of a yahoo with a raised pickup truck who drove out to a sandbar to show off for all of his friends. Apparently the concept of tidal water hadn't occurred to him. The towtruck driver handed him the cable and said "Good luck."

To his credit, he did wrap the hook around the frame so no body damage from getting dragged out... but yeah... salt water to the height of the windows doesn't do good things for your vehicle. On the upside, if he hadn't done the oversized wheels and lift kit, the water likely would have been to the roof.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Yeah, I'm back again. You're getting tired of this? No? Ok.

I met three friends for a 20 mile paddle downriver today. Lovely section that I don't get to do that often. Weather was nice. One slower paddler meant that we were out longer than planned, but everyone had a good day. Maybe I'll work with two of our folks to improve their skills. Everyone smiled.

One very dear friend recently got a new boat. I've been on the water when she's paddling it a few times so far, and it's clear she loves it. I think it is a great boat for her. Today she said to me, "This boat really cruises." She's used to whitewater kayaks which are much slower. It kind of annoyed me that I was struggling to keep up with her when she was paddling at a relaxed pace. My canoe is 3.5 feet longer, and it's a fast canoe. Especially when the wind came up, and maybe even when not, I wouldn't be able to catch up if she wanted to ditch me. Which is actually really cool!

Forecast was a LOT of wind, but it held off until afternoon so we got some nice calm glassy water at times.

6t9ed8coldqz.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Yeah, I'm back again. You're getting tired of this? No? Ok.

I met three friends for a 20 mile paddle downriver today. Lovely section that I don't get to do that often. Weather was nice. One slower paddler meant that we were out longer than planned, but everyone had a good day. Maybe I'll work with two of our folks to improve their skills. Everyone smiled.

One very dear friend recently got a new boat. I've been on the water when she's paddling it a few times so far, and it's clear she loves it. I think it is a great boat for her. Today she said to me, "This boat really cruises." She's used to whitewater kayaks which are much slower. It kind of annoyed me that I was struggling to keep up with her when she was paddling at a relaxed pace. My canoe is 3.5 feet longer, and it's a fast canoe. Especially when the wind came up, and maybe even when not, I wouldn't be able to catch up if she wanted to ditch me. Which is actually really cool!

Forecast was a LOT of wind, but it held off until afternoon so we got some nice calm glassy water at times.

6t9ed8coldqz.jpg

Are you kidding? I love these posts. Totally inspiring me to get out on the water again.