Pictures from outdoor exercise.

Options

Replies

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    No pictures but certainly outdoor exercise.

I had some work done on our long country gravel driveway. I also had a concrete pad poured where it meets the road as I'm tired of filling in peel out divots from the family (and perhaps myself as well TBH) accelerating onto our quiet country road. Pour happened last Wednesday.

Since we can't drive on it for seven days, I made arrangements with our neighbor to allow us to use our adjoining gate on the back forty (as we call it). We leave the house through our backyard gate, drive down into a draw with a dry creek and then up the other side, through another gate where the back corners of our properties meet, and then across his pasture to his back gate, and then around his garage and onto that country road. Three gates to open, go through, and close again once you're on the other side.

The next day after the pour, Thursday, it started raining... hard. Concrete was set so no issues from the rain there. I was at home for the day and that evening I decided to lend a hand as my daughter and my wife were on the way home from their respective jobs more or less at the same time. Since I had closed the gate at the top of our drive, I knew the livestock could not get onto the road even if they came into our yard, so I opened the backyard gate in the driving rain and left it open. I had some trouble getting up the far side of the draw even in my 4x4 truck but made it to the second gate and left it open too as there were no livestock in sight and the poor beasts were unlikely to roam in this downpour. I made it to the last gate and opened it and used my truck to block the opening.

When my daughter arrived in her AWD Nissan Rogue, I told her to wait with her Rogue blocking the second gate until her mother arrived. When my wife arrived a short time later in her 4WD Sequoia, I let her through and then closed the gate behind her, drove down to the second gate and closed it behind us as well.

The drive through the draw (and the no longer dry creek) and up the other side was where it got challenging. The steep part on the East side had a path cut into it with a dozer a very long time ago so, while grass covered, it was hard rock. But where the cut stopped, it got messy. All three of us in our "off road" vehicles basically went up the rest of the way more or less sideways. We all made it with me being the last one through the backyard gate. I didn't stop on the slight slope up to the garage apron, I'd never have got going again in the slippery mud under the lawn. I parked my truck in its spot and walked back to the gate, in the rain, and close it.

(Did I mention that for some reason I hadn't put on a raincoat before I started all of this?)

The story doesn't stop there. It kept raining all night. Early Friday morning, both my girls needed to get to work. My daughter was a bit freaked out about driving through the mud, so I drove her Rogue. She elected to walk. My wife followed in her Sequoia. No issues driving down into the draw and through the running creek but up the other side, where I had had trouble the afternoon before, was a nightmare. I lost track of the number of times I lost momentum and had to back up a bit to find ground that wasn't squished into a greasy muddy mess, but I finally got her Rogue through the second gate.

My wife's Sequoia was fairing no better, barely getting a third of the way out of the draw. So, I walked back down to her. She walked up the draw to my daughter and her Rogue and they waited while I tried again to get out of the draw. I backed down to the very bottom and then some to get a run at it and gave it some beans.

I was all over the pasture, sideways more often than not, cranking the wheels one way and then the other to get any scrap of purchase for the tires. Had to back out of my ruts more than once and try again, and again. Finally, I was through the second gate and next to the Rogue. The Sequoia was no longer white, now covered in mud and wet grass, even across the windshield.

The drive to the last gate was uneventful. I opened the gate and told the girls not to stop on the other side as the ground so soggy I didn't think they'd be able to get moving again.

I closed the gate and walked back home down our driveway in the rain (but with a poncho on this time).

When each of my girls came home that day (my wife first and then again for my daughter), they parked in my neighbor's round bale paddock, and I met each of them at the head of our drive and ferried them home with the rain still falling.

The rain stopped yesterday morning (Saturday). I may have to try and get my truck through the draw later today. More rain coming tonight, and I may have to work tomorrow.

We'll be able to drive on the new concrete pad Wednesday evening. I'm looking forward to that.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,926 Member
    Options
    That sounds very messy... Talk about a great way to make you appreciate the new poured pad. lol
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,262 Member
    Options
    @d_thomas02

I think I would have left most of the vehicles outside the gate by the road and chained up the most capable one to use as a shuttle.

Many years ago I was doing field work looking for landslides and measuring headwalls near incipient channels that had received different kinds of forest management. We were all over the coast range. It wasn't bad work, but plenty of 'schwacking. Access to one of our sites was down a fairly long spur road to a landing. There wasn't a good place to turn the truck around down there, and the road was wet and muddy. I opted to back down the spur road so it would be easier to get out. In addition to not having to back UP the road, having the truck parked facing uphill put more weight on the drive wheels.

We made our measurements and got back in the truck. The truck was going nowhere. We chained up and the truck had no problem climbing back up where we took the chains back off.

Unless your 4wd rigs have a locking differential or a LSD, you really only have two wheel drive, and unless you have mud tires, sloppy mud fills the tread voids and that's as bad as wet corn snow for traction.

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot

My truck does have differential locks. Normally in these parts, one only needs 4WD two or three days out of the year for snow and chains are an unneeded luxury that just tears up the roads.

The Rogue has highway tires that were on it when we bought it used a few years ago, and the other two have all season tires. Three of us, three vehicles, all with different schedules. The walk from the neighbor's hay paddock to our front door is just over a quarter mile. Aside from the rains Thursday and Friday, and again tonight; the weather is favorable.

Thanks, bit we'll hoof it until Wednesday. ;)
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I always kept chains in my '77 Celica GT. I never used them in northern Utah; they kept the roads pretty clean.

I bought my truck new in 1977, and I bought a set of chains for it. A local store has a deal that if you buy them in the fall, you can return them in the spring if you don't use them. Well, I just kept them. In the quarter century I've driven that truck, I've never had to chain up. I run BFG T/A Radials. I got 71,000 miles from the first set and 61,000 from the second set. They wore faster for a few reasons. I'm 37,000 miles into the third set. I had a knock-off of a Yokahama before that after I took off the factory tires. I may or may not ever need a new set of tires for the truck; if I do, it will be the BFG again.

The car? I just bought that in October. It's a capable vehicle. Allegedly. I bought a set of chains, and I hope I never have to use them. I really don't drive that much, it's kind of silly to have two vehicles, but the "young" twelve-year-old RAV4 is actually pretty nice to drive. In fact, I'm off to meet a friend to get a bagel RIGHT NOW. I would walk, but I'm bringing her a paddle to borrow for a month or two.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Hello!

You haven't heard from me lately because I was on a rafting trip through Grand Canyon. Everyone on our trip was over 50. The youngest was 54, and the oldest was 71.

We drove 2.5 days to get there, rigged our rafts the next day, and launched the day after that. We spent 23 days below the rim rowing, hiking, and just gawking at the amazing grandeur of one of the most amazing places I have ever seen. I am so SO fortunate that this was my fourth trip down there. I've been in October, March, and May. I won a permit for April 2021, but it got deferred because of COVID. With all the rain and snow down there, we had amazing blooms. Unfortunately, it was also cold, so the bloom was later than normal. What WAS blooming was off the hook, but the Ocotillo had just started. The hillsides were green - amazing. They were also covered with gold from the brittlebush everywhere. There was some big snowmelt runoff, so there was lots of wood floating in the very very brown water. Some beavertail and hedgehog cactus were blooming as well as so many different things, but the cholla and prickly pear weren't quite out yet.

We had a group of eight people. We had cook teams of two, so cook one day and have three days off. Cooking was just one of the things we had to do every day. There's always lots of work on a river trip. This was no exception. We had three layover days where we didn't move camp. Lots of good hiking, but also lots of good food. I gained eight pounds in the month I was gone. Now back to getting my mass back to where it was when I left. I'll give myself a month to recover. We ate grilled salmon, pork chops, steaks, lasagna in the Dutch Oven, jambalaya, and oh so many other things. We had Dutch oven cakes a few days. Lots and lots of calorie-dense food. I recorded 3300 calories per day, but in reality might have eaten more. I might post a picture or two. I'm now officially back from "Shore Leave," although I enjoyed rowing the 18-foot raft away from shore every morning. Back to daily updates. Back to the routine of life above the rim.

The water level was fairly friendly, but the 5th wave at Hermit was the biggest river wave any of us had ever seen. One of the rafts almost left the water. I looked downstream at it, and about 2/3 of it was in the air. The person in the bow left the boat and dropped back into the boat and bounced. A few days before, he got thrown from the boat in a very small rapid. We all had good runs at Hance, Horn, Granite, Dubendorff, Upset, and Lava Falls. I rowed Mile 232 Rapid (A.K.A. Killer Fang Falls) and had an easy run; that was great because this rapid in the past has given me trouble. In 280 miles of river, we had no raft flips and just the one swim. We had an inflatable kayak with us. The woman paddling it did swim several times; she estimates about a dozen. Another person who was with us for the first time brought a pack raft and paddled it a few days. He had a few swims. All it all it was a great group and a really excellent retirement party.

I got home late last night and took a shower. My grass is over a foot tall, so in addition to gear cleaning, I'll be doing some mowing today. It's good to get some rest and let my body recover, but I'd go back next week for another lap if there was any way I could.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Sounds like an amazing trip! Well done!!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Here's a few pictures from my Canyon trip:

We had spectacular views every day. Every one was different, and they were all spectacular. Here's an example:

nudh229cxuj0.jpg

The desert was going to be blooming like CRAZY. There were so many flowers. Oh my. The canyon was green from spring growth. The flowers were late to bloom, and we didn't see any cholla or prickly pear in bloom and just a few ocotillo, but the beavertails were going nuts. The hillsides were gold from all the brittle bush and orange from geranium and all colors from so many flowers. Here's just a few:

oigqz8wixrhh.jpg
    setlc0krf9c1.jpg
    0noke77qrtgf.jpg

The hikes were great. One spectacular one went up to a wall of Tapeats Sandstone that continued past some Hopi ruins and up to a fantastic view. There were also some pictographs along the smooth rock where they were protected from the elements.

b4s1ig5w2qez.jpg
    bx2ahzdhzhvo.jpg

I always love the hikes up to Nankoweap and Elves Chasm.
    j2n0wuh51dxw.jpg
    sw5jd2t90nk2.jpg

This was my fourth trip down there. I have been in October, March, May, and now April. I hope I am fortunate enough to have more opportunities to repeat this expedition because it really is indescribably, and no pictures or stories can actually convey the majesty and the experience of being there for almost a full lunar cycle.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Amazing!! I've not yet been to the Grand Canyon... but it's on the bucket list.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    Amazing!! I've not yet been to the Grand Canyon... but it's on the bucket list.

A neighbor is doing a rim-to-rim-to-rim trip this summer. Sounds really HOT. She's starting on the North Rim, running/hiking down and back up to the South Rim where she'll spend the night before going back. I kind of like river travel; it's a whole other world, and I'm still exhausted and recovering from it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options

@mtaratoot, that looks like a wonderful trip . . . and pretty great timing, since I know it's a little unpredictable when bloom will hit.

A couple of my rowing buddies recently moved out to that area - both actually work for the national park. I've been treated to a continuing sequence of amazing photos from them on Facebook, and your lovely photos are a great addition to that. (I need to get out there, since I'm betting I could get an insider park tour ;) .)
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @AnnPT77

You definitely should go, even if you just get to visit the rim and/or hike down all or part way. Most of what we saw can only be seen from the river. There are several places you can hike down from the rim, but to travel downriver, you need a boat... and a hard-to-get permit. I went to the South Rim once when I was getting done with grad school and was doing some random research work. I had a little job for the Forest Service in Flagstaff, and I made a detour to see the Canyon. Gorgeous. If you even go 100 feet off the road on a trail, you'll see so many fewer people.

If you get the chance to do the river trip, definitely do it. It's not cheap to do it commercially. Most trips use motor rigs even if the customers travel in oar-powered boats. We saw several groups doing row trips; four passengers per raft with one man or woman on the oars. The big motor rig carried all the gear. I think these trips are about 14 days or so and are called "hybrid" trips. The trips where all customers ride on the motor rig don't look as comfortable, but are an option for people who can't take that much time off. It only takes a week to go by motor rig; you'll hardly get time to soak it all up, but if that's all you can afford time-wise, go do it.

In the winter, private oar-only trips get 25 days to Diamond Creek. Shoulder season like we had we got 21 days. In high season, it's 16 days. We took two extra days to float from Diamond Creek down to Pearce Ferry. Some passengers on commercial trips fly out by helicopter at Whitmore Wash.

If money is no object, you can go on a commercial dory trip. I think that would be a hoot. Of course you will have to bail in a dory as they don't self-drain like a raft. It's like riding a cork. the dory guides are experts; you can bash into rocks without hurting a raft, but you can't do that with a wood and glass dory.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    There's a new, fun-looking thing here that was on my bike ride today: A self-service kayak rental! Here's a couple of views:

850wuomvc2t0.jpg

bhe4gwwvhl09.jpg

It's in a little pocket park on the bike trail, with an esker-edged lake/pond. It's had an adaptive kayak/canoe launch dock from early on, but the rental thing is brand new this Spring. I did a double loop on the trail today, so took a photo on pass #1 (shown above). On pass #2, 3 people had rented 3 of the kayaks and were just heading out to fish. They let me heft one end of one of the boats to test the weight: I'd say somewhere in the 30-40 pound range, very manageable. I hope this works out, doesn't result in vandalism or anything!

This is what the adaptive launch and water looks like (I may've posted about this before):

4ao7fmqg0wf9.jpg

I did a double loop on the trail because there's still flooding under a low highway overpass over a frequently-flooding local creek. It's getting close to low enough water where I'd feel OK riding through (saw a guy who'd obviously done so, got a bunch of sketchy-looking mud splash up his um, upper glutes and low back ;):D ) There's a rough trail up under the overpass, but I didn't feel like bucking my heavy hybrid bike up the steep bank, under the duck-down passage, and down the other side, so did the double loop on the South end of the trail instead.

7bmqd0gsf9ti.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    What a neat idea!! I've heard of rental bikes and scooters. This is next level!!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @AnnPT77

That's a pretty neat little rental kiosk. Very affordable too. Good to get people on the water! They are for sure "lower quality" boats and I'm sure they are cheap paddles, but it's still better than no boat. Even if you could buy one of those boats for $200 and a paddle for just a bit more (plus a PFD), with this you don't have to car-top it to get some time paddling. A great way to pique interest in paddling and get someone in love with their next hobby.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I think this is also pretty great for apartment dwellers who can't wrap their mind around where to store even a small boat. I'd be fine with a boat in the living room, but I know that's not mainstream for folks with limited space and different priorities! 😉
  • AnnPT77
    edited May 2023
    Options
    A poor photo of a nice turtle bask-in (with charming turtle stack!) from a recent bike ride. (Photo is zoomed/cropped phone photo, so best I could do.)

08b97ytxz6xl.jpg

Also, just for fun, a literally-true (but slightly misspelled) chalked message on the bike path:

1al28ml2se51.jpg

• UncleMac
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    A poor photo of a nice turtle bask-in (with charming turtle stack!) from a recent bike ride. (Photo is zoomed/cropped phone photo, so best I could do.)

08b97ytxz6xl.jpg

Also, just for fun, a literally-true (but slightly misspelled) chalked message on the bike path:

1al28ml2se51.jpg

Happy turtles!! And I'm not in a rush to get to Valhalla so I'll walk rather than biking... lol
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I have been out and about a fair bit lately. Here's a little synopsis of some of the trips.

Last week I went paddling two days (Sunday and Thursday). It was about 18 miles each day. The second day launched from where the first day ended. I didn't really get any pictures, and that's OK.

On Monday and Wednesday, I went to the aquarium and did some diving. Wait. That's not even outside. Never mind!

Then this past weekend I drove over to the coast to meet a friend. I bought a car from a friend who was moving to Australia in October; this was my first night "camping" in the car. We had a little RAV4 party. Hers is a couple years newer, but has a lot more miles. She was paddling a decked kayak, I had an open canoe.

5kvm17sbidwf.jpg

We walked on the beach, drove to town, walked on the shore where the waves break on rocks, had a nice meal at the brewery, then went back to camp and saw the sunset.

m9tv44sfvcbq.jpg
    beylr14t6k2r.jpg

We paddled a neat canoe trail the next day. It starts in a lake and goes out the river outlet from the lake out to the sea. So you get lacustrine, riverine, and estuarine environments over three miles. Then we were out in the dunes. The wind was horrendous, so we didn't make it all the way to the ocean.

There's a tide gate along the river, and there's a portage made of polyethylene skids, so it's a very easy portage both down and back up. The water was higher in the lake than I've seen previously, and the tide was in; both sides of the portage were pretty easy.

The last quarter mile upwind on the lake was a little scary. There were whitecaps. I thought I might get flipped; my canoe is kind of "twitchy." I didn't. My friend said SHE even thought she might get flipped in her kayak, and it sheds wind better. Of course from a kayak with a skirt, she could have rolled up. I would have just been swimming.

394a881esjcw.jpeg
    2yd7twqzf4qh.jpg
    k4dktdpciyq5.jpg
    7er9q930h8oo.jpg
    zye2bcek09j2.jpg
    7en978sgenxp.jpeg

On the way home, we stopped and did a short hike up a creek that has lots of small waterfalls and a couple larger ones. It's a nice hike; it was kind of crowded since it was a beautiful weekend day. We never go just for the hike; it's too long of a drive for such a short hike. We seldom do it on the way back from the coast because there's not time. Well, this time we did it.

jfpf77nzzgcf.jpg
    wtpg6j19g6de.jpg

Yesterday I hiked up a local peak that's the highest in the coast range. I hadn't been up this year. Hiked a bit more than seven miles through beautiful forest and saw a bunch of wildflowers. There were different flowers blooming along the way to the top. It was really windy up there, but I stayed a while as it was one of those rare days you can see the beach and even the waves crashing in (and the bridge over the bay) and also the Cascade volcanoes to the east. Usually you can see one or the other; sometimes neither. Every now and then, you can see both. Nice day.

i562y5y7os9r.jpg
    evlo9b42xgtd.jpg
    nro6bbb9u72e.jpg

Today I'm taking friends for a 15 mile paddle on the river again. Maybe there will be pictures. Maybe not.

This retirement thing is quite nice.

• UncleMac
    Options
    I'm surprised to see leftover snow. You must have been at altitude!