Pictures from outdoor exercise.

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    My wife likes to keep the house at 66f... That works for me too...

I found a local firewood supplier and once I get some wood, I'll use the fireplace for a bit of heat. There's something charming about having the fireplace cooking along...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    I've done the "heat the house" thing when power outages were a potential, too. Even for the snow forecast over the weekend (that turned out to be a non-event), I made sure to charge up power bank, LuminAid light/charger, etc.

My fireplace (with insert) has been useful in long-past multi-day power outages, but right now I need my chimney relined :grimace: , so I'm not using it for safety reasons. It's enough to keep the living room livably warm when it's in the teens outdoors, maybe lower, and keep the pipes from freezing throughout. The house, though a 1950s model, had insulation blown in at some past point, is pretty well insulated.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options
    The forecast update said the nasty weather would be delayed. It was still sunny. I knew it was very slick out, and I knew that conditions would be much worse once the next round of freezing rain arrived. This time I put on an outer GoreTex layer in case I didn't get home before it started. One with a hood. I was glad about that when I was at the southernmost part of my walk. The gray clouds had been closing in, and off in the distance I could see precipitation falling.

It was really REALLY slick anywhere that the sun hit yesterday. Pictures don't really show it. It was essentially the same kind of ice as you'd see on a hockey rink, except it had a little texture. If a Zamboni drove by, you could play on it. A friend said she was going to try out her ice skates today. This is as good as I can show. It's a gravel road through the park. It looks like a frozen lake surface or something, but it's not. It's a road.
    5yg02p9opotf.jpg

On the way down the street, I saw two folks on XC skis. I felt really bad for the skis. I hope they were old. This ice surely would damage the bases. When I got almost to the entrance to the southernmost part of the park, I made a choice to attempt to walk down some steps that lead down to the 15th hole of the disc golf course rather than attempt to walk down the road. The road has a hill, and I knew it would be slick. I hoped that my trekking poles would help me safely descend the big steps. Bonus was that since that area had stayed in the shade, it wasn't quite as slick. I still went very very slow and used the trekking poles to brace myself to take two or three steps on each of the levels. At the bottom I had to climb over/through a down tree blocking the bridge across the small stream at the bottom.

I had seen the hydrograph, and the river was dropping. I decided to take the river path back as far as I could. I knew if I ran into water, I could turn around and take one of several trails that go up top to some other parts of the trail system. I climbed under some other down trees carefully. I first made sure they were stable where they were hanging so they didn't land on me. They must have fallen yesterday because they had icicles hanging on them that were oriented sideways.
    oaxbfl8ops28.jpg

I did eventually get to a place that was inundated. Time to turn around and slowly head back south and then up to the "Bark Path" on the east side of the sports fields.
    sp8sa9qzheu3.jpg

Once back up to the bark path, I slowly worked my way back around and back up to my house. I came inside, took off my layers, started heating some leftovers for lunch, and when I went to swap out the hummingbird feeders, I noticed that the freezing rain had just started. My timing was excellent.

While my beans are heating and the brown jasmine rice is cooking, I'm enjoying a decaf with some unsweetened cocoa powder mixed in. Life is good.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I've not tried adding unsweetened cocoa into my coffee... hmmm....

My bride likes flavoured coffees; I'm more inclined to a standard brew.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I usually just have black coffee. I use a pour-over filter - one cup at a time. I have recently started weighing my beans before grinding. I grind enough for two cups since that's what I usually drink. I found the recommendation for 55 grams per liter is really good. That means 24 or 25 grams for my mug that's just short of 16 ounces.

Chocolate was a drink for ages and ages before Spanish explorers "discovered" it. A Swiss chemist figured out how to make cocoa powder, and all it contains is the dried solids from cacao. It's a bit bitter. So is the coffee. First time I tried it, there were some issues getting it dissolved. I got that figured out:

Pre-heat mug with a tiny bit of boiling water - discard. Put a spoon of cocoa powder in the mug (20 calories per tablespoon), and add a tiny bit of boiling water. Mix vigorously; it will mostly dissolve. Then make coffee on top. Keep the spoon handy and give it a stir from time to time when drinking or else the last few sips will have some chocolate sludge on the bottom. Tasty, yeah, but better to have it a little at a time with each sip.

If you want "candy coffee," you can add sweetener. I am a crotchety Gus, so I just enjoy the bitterness :lol:
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The candy coffee thing is why I'm not a huge fan of the flavoured coffee... plus there's a kind of chemical aftertaste which bothers me.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    The candy coffee thing is why I'm not a huge fan of the flavoured coffee... plus there's a kind of chemical aftertaste which bothers me.

It doesn't have to be sweet even if you put a small amount of brown sugar in. If not - it's just coffee and some bitter chocolate flavor. No chemical aftertaste, and I'm pretty much a coffee snob. I weigh my beans for goodness sake!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I did another 5.05 mile walk today on a slightly different route. It was much warmer. There was precipitation, and it was not frozen as it was falling.

I walked down the river path. There was one small area of inundation. I had neoprene knee boots, so no problem. It was not slick AT ALL. The only pictures I got were an area that had been inundated, and that lifted up the ice and/or allowed more ice to form on top. The ice left was well over a half inch thick. It had stuck to trees and such, so as the river dropped, it left ice sheets weirdly hung in mid-air.

qd80grdl6rrz.jpg
    egtbbw18qcrj.jpg
    ai6ecf8tltyj.jpg

There were LOTS of trees down.

I decided to take a diversion so I could avoid some areas where I'd have had even more to climb over. It was super foggy from the warmer air and the ice still on the ground, and as I mentioned, it was RAINING. I wore a waterproof-breathable coat with a hood and waterproof-breathable pants. Good thing. The GoreTex coat worked great, but the pants are very old and a bit leaky. No big deal it wasn't cold, and I was moving. I just changed jeans when I got home. I'd been wearing those for days anyway and was planning to swap out. My main complaint was that I was dressed too warm though for 39 degrees.

When I left the park, I walked through the cemetery and then out to the main highway to see what it looked like because the streets everywhere else I have been walking were still full of slush. The highway was mostly clear of ice, but there was still very wet slush. Rather than deal with getting hosed down as vehicles drove by, I ducked back on a side street back to my house.

The melt-off has started a bit, and it's about to start in earnest. I see a lot more water running off than would be explained by the amount of rain we have, so I assume the ice has become isothermal (warmed to the melting point) and will melt off quickly now. I may awake to mostly clear streets. I might walk to the post office, or maybe I'll drive since I'm expecting a package or two. They could be delayed by the weather. I also wouldn't mind stocking back up on fresh produce.

The news says this is the worst ice storm we've had in 30 years.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

It doesn't have to be sweet even if you put a small amount of brown sugar in. If not - it's just coffee and some bitter chocolate flavor. No chemical aftertaste, and I'm pretty much a coffee snob. I weigh my beans for goodness sake!

One of my coworkers is coffee snob enough to be able to tell the difference between different exotic beans by flavour/scent alone. He roasts his own beans... Whereas I am a country boy who didn't taste coffee until in my late teens and my description of the best coffee is something like "meh, it's all grist for the mill."
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    ...my description of the best coffee is something like "meh, it's all grist for the mill."

:open_mouth:

• UncleMac
    Options
    ...my description of the best coffee is something like "meh, it's all grist for the mill."

:open_mouth:

I've drank too many mugs of "cop shop coffee" to stay awake while working nightshift to pretend otherwise.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Change is always possible. In fact, it's the only constant.

I drank plenty of bad coffee in grad school. We had a "coffee club" where you paid up front and could drink coffee at will. Otherwise they wanted a tiny bit of $$ per cup. It was burned brown water made from coffee in a tin. But it was weak enough that I could drink it all day. Oh just thinking of it makes me sad.

I used to not be fond of parsnips and rutabaga. See? Things CAN change. Then again it's not that important. If it's just a cup to get things started in the morning, and if that's a routine that you're adapted to, it probably still brings you joy. If it were me, I'd have to start drinking tea. Oddly enough - I am starting to enjoy tea more again. Happens from time to time. Still not giving up coffee.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    You guys are giving me flashbacks to the coffee club coffee at work, back when I had to work. Almost thick sometimes, usually overcooked, and pretty much always with a layer of iridescent scum on top in the pot. $5 a month, all you could drink, or almost chisel out of the pot sometimes.

Even though I don't love the current blend I'm sampling (right now, as it happens), it's orders of magnitude more pleasant than that stuff. This is an enjoyable beverage, a step below ideal. That work coffee was a useful drug.

Lately, I've been buying beans at a local roaster just down the road from me instead of at Costco. It's been fun trying different coffees from their long list. (These are different origins and roasts, not flavored coffees. They also have a long list of flavored coffees, but I don't like 'em.)

I grind the beans at home, do the single-cup pour-over, adding the coffee to quite a lot of hot skimmed milk. If I feel fancy, I froth the milk to fluff. Even the less-favored beans/blends are good. I'm grateful.

P.S. Eccentrically, I also do standing side leg raises while holding the small electric grinder in one hand, 20 on each side. Coffee improves balance in my life in more ways than one. :D I even have a photo. But none of this is outdoor exercise. ;)

pjnpskau4ugk.jpg

• mtaratoot
    Options
    That's a nice rock @AnnPT77. Do you have friends who are potters? I need to dig out a mug a friend made for me; he's into raku. It's a bit on the small side, so I don't use it as often.

When I'm trying to make coffee OUTSIDE, especially for a group when on a river trip, I EXERCISE a method that makes a nice batch. I have a 2.5 liter stainless steel airpot and a #6 coffee cone. The airpot is a Stanley, but the cone doesn't really sit on it well. The hole is too small. My friend made me a "coffee gasget" out of cedar that sits on the airpot and holds the cone. It really doesn't take that long to make a pot of coffee. It's easy to make a partial pot if you need more but not a whole pot. I have one of those metal mesh coffee filters, but it only really works with a little coarser grind. For paper filters, I often let them dry on a rock briefly before tossing them in the trash - just to save weight and reduce moisture in the garbage. I apply some mineral oil to the gasket from time to time to help prevent splitting since it is cedar. Neither the wood or the oil add any perceptible flavor to the coffee. I drink it black, so I would know.

• AnnPT77
    Options
    @mtaratoot, the mug was from an art fair potter. I love it so much. Yes, it's pretty. But more importantly, it fits my hand. For reasons lost in genetic history, I have huge hands for a person my size, decently big for anyone. (My ring finger is a size 10 even when I'm thin; it was 13-14 when I was obese. Most women's rings aren't larger than 9. I usually wear men's large in gloves.) Most cups fit awkwardly in my hand. That one is perfect.

For camping OUTSIDE with other people, or when I have people over for brunch or something, I have an insulated pitcher and a #6 cone, too. My #2 cone is porcelain, though I have a plastic one of those for outdoor use, too (from before I had the porcelain one). The #6 is plastic. Getting the #6 out of the top cupboard feels like EXERCISE.

I tried the mesh filter for home use during the pandemic when finding certain things was hard, and I was trying to minimize shopping trips. Too much coffee dust in the cup, even with a coarser grind. (My grinder is a champ, probably 40 years old now and going strong, but blades not burrs.) For canoe camping, we sometimes used paper, sometimes mesh.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Hmm... maybe the old dawg can learn a new trick?

At the house on PEI, I have a good Braun burr coffee grinder and a Brawn coffeemaker with a wire cone. I do prefer the taste of coffee made from fresh grown beans. Here in Texas, my wife bought a tiny Walmart special which burns two cups of coffee at a time. On the upside, the coffee from H-E-B (local grocery chain) is decent... although, as mentioned, the flavoured ones have that unpleasant aftertaste.

I've heard of "pour over" but I've never seen one or at least I didn't recognize it as such. Several people in my orbit have Keurig machines.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    A pour-over is just a cone that you put a filter in and pour near-boiling water over. I use one of these:
    ur4msg8n4ym3.jpg

On my last Grand Canyon trip, someone had a collapsible one. It could make good coffee, but because the entire exterior of the filter was exposed, it let the cold wind cool the coffee off even before it hit his mug. It looked something like this:
    9mjup2wpb3ey.jpg

They also make models with wire mesh so you don't need a paper filter. I like the idea, but I don't like the idea of cleaning them. Coffee grounds are really hard on wastewater piping. They are a common contributor to clogged drains.

I also have a coffee press. Some people call it a French press. It makes good coffee. It takes a coarser grind. The reasons I don't use it are:
    1. Inevitably, some of the grounds get into your cup. The coffee will keep brewing as you drink it.
    2. If you want more than one cup, you need to clean the damn thing between cups. If you make two cups at a time, the second cup will have been brewing the whole time AND will be cold.
    3. Paper filters remove cafestol. A French press does not. Cafestol has been implicated in raising serum cholesterol.

I still don't own a burr grinder. I almost bought a hand-crank model a few weeks ago, but looking at some videos, it would take me ten minutes to crank it for every cup. No thanks. It would be nice to be able to have fresh ground coffee on the river, but I'd rather have coffee sooner than grind, grind, grind.

• mtaratoot
    Options
    I seem to keep taking walks. I grabbed a few images along the way. The ice has mostly melted off except in sheltered areas. The rivers have come up. Yesterday's walk was in part to do some reconnaissance and see how much garbage was going into the rivers from the camps and elsewhere. I am sad to report that there was a lot. Bagged garbage. Empty beverage containers. Garbage cans. Propane bottles. You name it.

lnzs1h7hjvb3.jpg
    86pct6cep7dy.jpg
    f21g3mwlrc6b.jpg
    fv9mwsv4khz8.jpg
    fvnxoa3rmagh.jpg
    ub80c02pvf6c.jpg

I walked back south along the highway, then down a side street and through the cemetery where I could look down on an old area that at one point was connected to the river and is now called a lake. It really only has water in the winter. I walked down into the park, but I couldn't even get into the parking lot. The river was flowing in the lot. It was actually pretty interesting because the river flows up into the parking area and then up the road into the park, and only from there does it flow what would otherwise be "upstream" into the sports fields. I was wearing muck boots, and I tried to find a shallow way across to get out to the fields and walk some more, but I couldn't find a way to get through that wouldn't have flooded my boots. I considered walking home and putting on some waders and going back. Instead I got on my bike.

I rode to the south entrance to the park, then rode the bike path up to about a place about a half mile from my house that I was maybe 20 yards from during my walk - less than a half mile from my house. I rode about three miles to get to a place a half mile from my house. I had to ride about a half mile through some slush where the paved path is protected by trees. That was "interesting." The river was up for sure. Note that sign; "Boat and trailer parking only." Yesterday it was only available for boats.

a7hxpni7w7ai.jpg
    li8lx7a3psuq.jpg

On the way home, instead of going back out to the street from the park, I continued on the paved path to the south end to the City Limit. There was one small area of inundation, but I was pretty sure I could ride through it without getting my feet wet. Yep. Probably about four inches deep. I went all the way to the City Limit, then ducked back out onto the street system and worked my way back. I stopped several times to observe things and eventually to knock on the door of a house that had a truck parked outside with the headlights on and the doors locked. No answer. Bummer. My hands eventually warmed up about five minutes or so before I got home. Total about 7.5 miles.

Today I walked downtown to check mail, stopped at a thrift shop on the way home, and walked back down to the park. The water level was falling. You could get almost to the boat ramp, but part of the paved trails were still under water. Two portable toilets were missing - probably downstream. Very sad. Also a portable hand washing station.

There was a little stick that had washed up against the picnic tables there.

jdcjy6u91ccv.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I should add some of the sad statistics from our recent storm:

One person died when their car started to slide, they got out and tried to stop it, they got pinned between the car and a rock, and they froze to death. Three adults and a baby were in a car that a big branch fell on bringing a power line down with it. The adults exited the car and were electrocuted to death. A woman died when a tree fell on an RV and it caught fire.

The authorities sent out warnings to please don't go on the roads, and probably stay home because both EMS and the hospital were overwhelmed with crashes and slip/fall injuries. One man died in a slip/fall injury because he went out literally, "...to see just how slippery it was."
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I should add some of the sad statistics from our recent storm:

One person died when their car started to slide, they got out and tried to stop it, they got pinned between the car and a rock, and they froze to death. Three adults and a baby were in a car that a big branch fell on bringing a power line down with it. The adults exited the car and were electrocuted to death. A woman died when a tree fell on an RV and it caught fire.

The authorities sent out warnings to please don't go on the roads, and probably stay home because both EMS and the hospital were overwhelmed with crashes and slip/fall injuries. One man died in a slip/fall injury because he went out literally, "...to see just how slippery it was."

Sadly many folks don't take warnings seriously. When I was working patrol, it wasn't unusual for drivers to argue with us after we'd closed a road for safety reasons. Like, you think we're closing the road for fun?