Pictures from outdoor exercise.

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,959 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    nj14b66eszbo.jpeg
    After 34 years, I’ve retired from active service at my fire department. I’ve left it in the hands of this fine young firefighter, my grandson Tucker.

I’m still in good shape and work out constantly, but I’ll be 68 in May. It’s time to hang up the spurs and let the younguns have at it.

And if Tucker needs a bit of help with training and/or advice... I'm sure Gramps can accommodate!!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,323 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. A beach sounds great. And a beach that has shore diving? I'm hoping to at least have DREAMS about it tonight.

I'll post about today's hike later.
  • mtaratoot
    edited March 15
    Options
    A friend drove up from the city an hour south of here to break out of her routine.

We then drove over to the other side of a ridge in the coast range and several times across the same river to get to a trailhead that goes up to the west side of that land trust property I like and have written about here several times and shared photos.

We went there because I remember it being sunnier - out of the canopy of the forest. I forgot how well-maintained the gravel trails are. Not one spot of mud on my pants or even boots! We hiked farther than I thought she would want to, so we got up to the viewpoint I often hike or walk to from the east side up a creek and across a ridge. It was a very nice day for both of us.

It was about 7.2 miles with about 1400 feet of elevation gain overall.

bqczmwsz1fqa.jpg
    57yrlau9cdvt.jpg
    33s50ie3d7qf.png

• mtaratoot
    Options
    The day before that I went up a trail that, if I've ever been on it before, was at least 20 years ago. I have no idea why I don't hike there more often. It's really close by. It goes through some nice forest, and is on trails not roads. The main trail up is kind of "the highway" with a well-engineered trail that has side rails and has gravel on most of it. It goes up from a City park on the other side of town. My initial plan was just to go up and back on that same trail. It would have been a bit short of seven miles.

When I left the park and entered the research forest, I grabbed a trail map. Good thing. When I got to the top, I used both that map and the GPS on my Garmin fitness tracker to see some other trails and found my way back down using some very much less used trails. Some were pretty muddy. They went through a diverse forest, or I should say a diversity of forest stands. It was very nice. I saw almost nobody else.

At the trailhead, there was one vehicle. I went up and saw nobody. As the trail crossed a forest road on the way back, a single rider on a gravel bike went by. Then, once I was within a mile of the end of my hike, I saw two people going the opposite direction. That's about it.

When I got back to the park, I opted to do one more loop up to the top for another nice view of town before heading around the back side of that big hill and to my vehicle. It was just over ten miles and about 2100 feet of elevation gain. I will for sure go back there. I targeted it because it's so close AND it is lower elevation to keep me out of the snow. I did walk across just a little snow near the top, but it was manageable.

vatpvs6x69mn.jpg
    bnqypzdk8k5i.jpg
    j46qkdl311sq.jpg
    o85soewu4i70.jpg
    rj422zr1jvw9.jpg

ngdhhjqwdo89.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I wish our trails were that well maintained. From what I've seen, they only do repairs when it reaches the point of no longer being safe... ie: washed out, tree down or whatever...

Speaking of which, City Hall said the section of trail that was fenced off is being restored (as I'd guessed). They received several complaints about how they "deadheaded" the trail so they created a bypass which allows access to the upper part of the trail. I walked the trail last week and, sure enough, there is a new sign pointing to the bypass. The new trail was a bit muddy but better than the deadhead!

I'm not sure why but I prefer trails where I loop rather than walking up and down the same path.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @UncleMac

If you think THOSE trails are maintained well, you should see the trails over on the back side of Fitton Green on a private land trust! Well, now you will.

A friend wanted a change of routine and came up from her city. We drove out there to hike because the forest is more open, and we wanted to enjoy all the sun. The trails are all graveled with 5/8-. I didn't get a spot of mud on my pants, and I don't even think I got any on my shoes!

It was about 7.2 miles with about 1400 feet of elevation gain overall.

She was feeling up to add the last mile or so up to the top of Fitton Green so we could soak up the gorgeous view of the Coast Range, Valley, and Cascade Volcanoes.

bqczmwsz1fqa.jpg
    57yrlau9cdvt.jpg
    33s50ie3d7qf.png

Yesterday was more of a rest day. I drove over to the coast to enjoy some more sun and watch the waves. I prioritized that because of the forecast. Next week I'll back to those waterfalls; I almost did that yesterday. I am planning to go paddling tomorrow. Monday or Tuesday I'll hike with my friend near his home, and whatever day we don't do that I'll go to those waterfalls.

rurrmty08yzg.jpg
    1gkajf0t4mj0.jpg
    uldw4m4smusq.jpg

• UncleMac
    Options
    I'm not sure those count as hiking trails.. they look like biking paths!! That being said... beautiful!!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Some are roads, some are single-track trails. For sure they are fine for biking.

I'm saving up some money to buy a new bike actually.

I am probably going back to work VERY part time, and that will help me buy a nice bike.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Disc golf today.

Fun course with some holes in the woods and some in the open.

A friend joined me who has never played, and maybe we'll get out more often!

16xwkzj1x6df.jpg

• mtaratoot
    Options

Ten mile hike with about 1400 or so feet of elevation gain. Back to the state park with all those waterfalls. In my state, the Parks Department used to be a branch of the Highway Department. It felt like I was on a state highway a bit today, what with so many people out on a beautiful day. I am glad it's not a weekend. Next time I go, maybe I'll wait for a nasty, rainy day...

I have more complaints, but I won't share them here. Instead... enjoy THESE.

wo4yzmcqb35r.jpg
    ufp0o64shnvj.jpg

4deoijf0dtsq.jpg
    14ulfsj6ooyu.jpg

pc220c8sm8xy.jpg
    xu295so01z85.jpg
    84n5z84jvl32.jpg

jrg9zlog403t.jpg
    0jh5ixy2ydi1.jpg

• UncleMac
    Options
    Bro, you're living in a beautiful part of the country!! Amazing pics!!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @UncleMac

They say it's "Eden at the End of the Trail." They are probably right. In about an hour I can be standing on the shore of the Pacific Ocean. In about an hour I can be near the top of the highest peak in the Coast Range. In about an hour, I can be in the foothills of the Cascades or even up IN the cascades. In about an hour, I can be on one of many rivers in one of many different kinds of human-powered boats. There's some reservoirs too. The very beautiful mountain lakes are a bit farther - maybe two hours. In two hours I can be in the desert or one of a couple different other ecotypes. From my front door, it's about 0.50 miles by foot to the edge of the 13th largest river (by volume) in the USA right at the boat ramp. In 15 minutes I can be in one of several forests or wetlands.

Yeah. There's a reason I realized the first time I came to the valley that I was home. It was the first time in my life I knew I was home.

Today I'm celebrating Hanami in the front yard. It's a Japanese tradition. When the Sakura trees are just before peak blossom, you just sit underneath them and enjoy. Maybe have a little picnic. I busted out my special sake cups and toasted the coming of spring.

stdpukekpmwy.jpg

I'm unfamiliar with Hanami but it sounds like the kind of celebration I can get behind. When I was young and silly (sillier?), I was into mythology. This time of year, according to various traditions, is usually a celebration of various incarnations of fertility. In fact, the holiday "Easter" is often considered a derivation of Ēostre, a proto-Germanic goddess of spring...

Ostara_by_Johannes_Gehrts.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    My trails seem more like deer paths than hiking trails.

l4cvojwm3z8c.png
    43utgfmppemg.png
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »

Looks like good trails to me! Very different setting. No Douglass-fir and switchbacks; my friend hates how much of that we have. It's still in the forest though.

We ain't got cactus trying to poke us from trailside though. Just poison oak....
  • UncleMac
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    UncleMac wrote: »

Looks like good trails to me! Very different setting. No Douglass-fir and switchbacks; my friend hates how much of that we have. It's still in the forest though.

We ain't got cactus trying to poke us from trailside though. Just poison oak....

I didn't realize there are so many different types of cactus. These pictures showed the most common one... opuntia aka prickly pear cactus... These literally grow like weeds everywhere.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,359 Member
    Options
    It's not so photogenic, but it was outdoor exercise: A couple of hours shoveling, wheelbarrowing, dumping wood-chip mulch at a local community greenhouse/garden that supplies food bank and farmers market, as part of a rowing club community outreach effort. That's me at center in the blue cap.

xnraq41wkbf8.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Functional exercise!

I really should order a load of mulch and go into wheelbarrow zen mode. That would mean starting a garden this year, and I think I want to do that again and will have time to tend it.

My exercise was not much. Along my walk yesterday, I stopped in my bike shop and rode a bike I think I might buy soon....
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The point of exercise for me is to remain functional... As I often say, if you want to be able to do something tomorrow, you need to do it today... Shovel work is a whole body exercise and how!!