Pictures from outdoor exercise.

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options
    Then today I FINALLY completed building a fairly comprehensive first-aid kit. I should have done this a decade ago, but at least now it's done. I hope never to have to open it except to put in fresh supplies and medications. In reality, I'll have to open if if I need any of the ointments as I threw out all my very much expired stuff when I was building this one.

It's nowhere near as organized as the kit that my friend has who shared his list of components. He has a larger waterproof box that's actually an EMT case. It has dividers and organizing layers within. All I have is zip-seal freezer bags organizing things. Maybe some day I will have some spare cash and buy an actual EMT style case. That would be very nice. I'm pleased I could fit everything in this 13-liter box. I did take some lessons from my training in how I organized it. Gloves are packed with any of the smaller bags that have supplies for any kind of bleeding or body fluids. The Israeli bandage and tourniquet are almost on top - below a couple pairs of gloves and a set of shears to cut off clothing. Clotting supplies are below that, and bandages are below that. Rolled gauze is in with bandages. Tape is separate. Things that are not so much EMERGENCY equipment, like medications, a SAM splint, ring cutters, splinter removers, nail clippers, and blister care are near the bottom. I've got gloves stashed everywhere. Superglue is not too far from the top - it's pretty handy stuff.

A friend who has a very comprehensive kit shared what he carries. That made a huge difference. I bought the box several months ago, and now it's closed up and full. I am grateful for the training I maintain just in case I ever need to deploy this kit. I hope that through continued training my response will be automatic. It would be nice though, to get more practice with the CAT-7 tourniquet and the Israeli bandage.

I now have to build a smaller kit to carry when I don't want to schlep a huge suitcase, or for when I don't have room like kayaking or on a day-trip hike.

uyc357dpf19l.jpg
    8tnw10wqr6to.jpg
    gmgw8h3hcfz1.jpg
    br1ky9a8s4zu.jpg
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,929 Member
    Options
    I bought a ready-built comprehensive pack which I keep in my truck... better safe than sorry...
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    I bought a ready-built comprehensive pack which I keep in my truck... better safe than sorry...

I have a kit in my truck that I should move to my car since I will most likely have the new kit in my truck if I'm driving my truck. A comprehensive kit for a truck will have all of the trauma supplies that I have, but might not have things to keep a patient stable for two days. My challenge will be to make sure people who come on my trips bring their own ibuprofen and band-aids, for example, and not rely on my kit. Yes, I have them, but it's really not intended for that. If need be, but - this is more for dealing with emergencies.

The "comprehensive" kit I'll put in my vehicle won't have cold and flu medicine or diarrhea medicine or laxative or antacid. It will have what I need to stop major bleeding and package a patient for EMS. Yeah - probably some ibuprofen too. Sometimes it's nice to know you have some. I am more fond of aspirin, so I'll always keep some of that.

This one was more for when I'm away from help for days upon days and want to make sure everyone comes out safe and sound. I hope I never need to use a damn thing in it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    I took another bike ride through that same nice woods I mentioned a few days ago. Almost all the Cutleaf Toothwort (Cardamine concatenata) flowers that had been so plentiful were already gone. I found a few clumps looking a little worse for wear, and took multiple photos. My phone camera was having a bad day, I guess, because I couldn't get sharp focus on the blooms despite many tries using tricks that have worked in the past. Oh, well. Sharing anyway.
    g4vpa4vrg0fu.jpg
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot cool job, and very comprehensive first aid kit. I’d never heard of the Israeli bandage, but am ordering one for my emergency kit.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    @mtaratoot cool job, and very comprehensive first aid kit. I’d never heard of the Israeli bandage, but am ordering one for my emergency kit.

Next time you're down at the firehouse, check in with the EMT folks. I bet they have an expired one that people can use to get trained how to apply it. The part that goes over the wound has clotting agents to help stop the bleed, and then it holds pressure on the wound.

I suspect that in the future, it will become more standard for people to get training on how to use them. They aren't self-explanatory, but they also aren't hard to use once you know how. I want to get some expired ones to practice with.
  • Farback
    Options
    When not working, I’m close to finishing my current kayak build, plus constructing an outdoor play structure for our indoor cats who love to be outside. There’s a rat hanging out on the drainage between properties, so if you look closely on the tool belt that skinny guy is wearing, you may see a ‘rat limiting tool’. (CO2 powered)

87maxlak8y6s.jpeg
    v8kc2yzyjmyz.jpeg
    i7s845jme8ns.jpeg
    e3v99upf6hd6.jpeg
    x8xf4wnb460u.jpeg
    9nzqdpgdoscu.jpeg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    When not working, I’m close to finishing my current kayak build, plus constructing an outdoor play structure for our indoor cats who love to be outside. There’s a rat hanging out on the drainage between properties, so if you look closely on the tool belt that skinny guy is wearing, you may see a ‘rat limiting tool’. (CO2 powered)

I need to get my workshop set up on PEI... Most of my father's woodworking machines are dated and have received several of his patchwork repairs over the years... but the bones look good so I'm gonna fix 'em up and have some fun...
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Walked in the park. The False Solomon's Seal is going crazy as are the Larkspur and even some Bleeding Heart. I was planning to go for a bike ride, but too much rain so walk instead.

lnq6lpg5g307.jpg
    dozxeom6w053.jpg
    3gf09hc4lzil.jpg
    pjm04kriq9d2.jpg
    c6dp9jcp9a7i.jpg

• mtaratoot
    Options
    I went to visit the Trail of Ten Falls again yesterday.

The last two times I went it was sunny. Even though it was a weekday, it was crowded. Yesterday was pretty nasty out, so it wasn't very crowded at all. Thank goodness for waterproof clothes and good boots. It's a bit more than ten miles. A little less than 1200 feet of ascent/descent.

n7a7s7wvq3de.jpg
    6vdcagmn4qei.jpg
    64hi2c1b401e.jpg
    ndqnwi9g1s1t.jpg
    99xue69z2v8f.jpg

jdciy5xc6w8s.jpg
    or4s3yuekfj7.jpg

8lonisxtzhnn.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Damn, bro... you've got some photo skillz!!
  • UncleMac
    Options

I need to get my workshop set up on PEI... Most of my father's woodworking machines are dated and have received several of his patchwork repairs over the years... but the bones look good so I'm gonna fix 'em up and have some fun...

I can't believe I missed an opportunity to mention you being the owner of a "cat house" but yeah...

Safely back to PEI now..
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Damn, bro... you've got some photo skillz!!

It helps to have amazing things to get images of.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I had considered dropping off my car at the boat ramp about a half mile from my house, putting my bike rack on my truck, putting my canoe on top of my truck, and driving about 12 miles to a put-in upstream. Then I was going to drive my canoe home and bike to pick up my truck and put the bike on the rack and bring it home. It's not my favorite section of river. It's only about nine miles. Anyway, a friend was going to be driving up from where she lives to Portland. She offered to swing over to my town and help me with a shuttle since I've helped her out several times. I suggested instead I meet her at the place I was going to put in and leave my truck there and she could take me up to another put-in that would give a 15 or 16 mile paddle. It's a section I don't do too often. It was great.

I saw five Bald Eagles and one deer in my first 2.5 miles. When I was getting read to put in, a truck towing a boat came up. They wanted to use the ramp. I moved my stuff so they could come down and told them they were welcome to come on. They just needed to rinse out their engine after being in salt water. We all have to share. There was a car that had pulled up to the place I would take out and he did some stretching. I think he was going for a run or something. Other than that, I only saw about a half dozen people on the huge gravel bar at county park about a third or half way down my trip. That's it. I had the river to myself. There was nobody at the take-out. Just me and my boat and my paddle and the river. So nice.

huwq1uyoxzyf.jpg
    zbgnvx2xkl6k.jpg
    y4kpi6welj2e.jpg
    s4brs01rif5a.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Although the majority of our drive from Texas to Canada was on interstate highways, my wife was delighted by how much wildlife we saw through the passage... eagles, owls, deer and many crows...
  • Farback
    Options

I may have mentioned it before, but much of my shop is vintage tools from the 1950’s. Great stuff. Cast iron tables etc. Quality not seen in today’s equipment.

• Farback
    Options
    bhdy9vs7q810.jpeg
    qgz50ylfge3x.jpeg
    vcbskaljvguk.jpeg
    lu2lmbju9wmx.jpeg

The clients are happy with the results
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    @Farback, that's so fabulous! I love the kitties' hyper-engaged facial expressions. I agree that that's a 12 out of 10 positive user review. ;)
  • UncleMac
    Options

I may have mentioned it before, but much of my shop is vintage tools from the 1950’s. Great stuff. Cast iron tables etc. Quality not seen in today’s equipment.
    His table saw, band saw and lathe are all cast iron pieces. His shop wasn't well insulated so there's rust to deal with... but plenty of meat on them bones. If they came with any safety equipment (ie: riving blade, cover), that is long since gone... A couple of the motors show signs of being "rewired" so I'm not sure if they're original or ???

Also he didn't believe in dust extraction... so yeah...

• mtaratoot
    Options
    Another great hike. It was about 6.5 miles. A friend who retired a few months ago joined me. We've been trying to get outside at least one day each week. We missed one or two; that's OK.

He had, oddly, never been on this trail. He created maps of it, but hadn't been. I gave him directions to the trailhead that I use. He made a wrong turn and went to the wrong trailhead. I sent him a text with a "dropped pin," and he eventually found me. I think I'll do another hike in the area tomorrow because... WILDFLOWERS!

2qs0qqdb6gil.jpg
    1zsg8zksk4c4.jpg
    4bbnip0c6o04.jpg
    a3qcsbhk31hk.jpg
    uvf927jv7jkh.jpg
    y1zoytaxvfnq.jpg
    ooapmcgxaq0d.jpg
    5joej1fxd4ab.jpg