My emancipation from food addiction has begun!

DarthWaderMT
DarthWaderMT Posts: 231 Member
Hello, I have just begun the fasting approach, I cannot believe I never thought of this before really. I used to do it all the time growing up without even thinking about it, I was just too busy playing and stuff, and then I would come home eat a big meal for supper, and watch TV, and go to bed. My well meaning family would scold me for doing this, because everyone needs to eat 3 times a day to be healthy, right? But I had lots of energy and was thin. I thought it was merely because I was young and active. maybe it was my lack of meals too?
Then I got my drivers licence, and soon was driving everywhere I used to bike or walk. Plus it gave me access to go eat anywhere whenever I wanted.
Soon I got older and my habits got worse. And i got more and more overweight. My wake up call was pain. my hips had many deformities from birth that needed correction. That left me not walking quite normal, but good enough, but the extra weight eventually wore out my hip joints so I could barely walk at 40. Plus no energy, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and possible pre diabetes symptoms started to drag me down.
I tried every diet plan out there, I had some success, then I would not be able to stay on it. It was looking like I would have to get hip replacements soon, that motivated me to try one last time.
I did a whole foods, plant based plan, and it started out good, I lost enough weight to keep from having hip surgery, and felt much better for a while. But lately, I am eating too much and too often, even though it is healthy food. I am a courier who is driving 10 plus hours every weekday, so I am eating 2-3 meals in my car. it is messy, distracting, time consuming to prepare, and I have to eat it cold since i don't have an oven in my car.
I would sometimes get sick of eating cold veggies and grains, and splurge at taco Bell, or I would just be too tired in the morning to prepare my meals for the day. then who knows what I would eat. mostly "healthy" food, but usually high in calories.
Lately I have put some of my weight back on, and my hips are starting to scream at me again. Plus, I get extremely fatigued and sleepy around 2-3 pm. Another problem was with the high volume of high fiber, low calorie veggies I was eating, I was always having to sit on the toilet, having to go 3-4 times a day sometimes which really messes up my day.

I just gave up on the plant based approach, and was looking into giving paleo diet another shot, and was watching some you tube to get started, when I found some topics on Intermittent fasting. Hmmmm interesting. I have not tried that yet. I was terrified of missing meals, I thought I would spin out of control and hit the buffet and just pig out. I listened to lots on the topic while driving for work, and the reasoning and science seemed to make enough sense, so I dove in on Thursday. I skipped breakfast! (OMG everyone needs breakfast right?)
I had a lunch around 3 pm. I noticed I didn't get drowsy at 2-3 like usual. I had a small dinner when I went out with friends. I stayed out pretty late, so I slept in in the morning, determined to do the same thing. but I got up too late to prepare my lunch. I skipped breakfast again, but was stressed out wondering what to eat for lunch.
I listened to more you tubes about fasting to keep me going and found some that talked about eating only one meal a day! That seemed way to radical to me! But as i listened, it seemed to make more sense, and I decided to go the whole day without eating til i got home. I ended up having to work late, so my fast lasted 25 hours!
I was a bit hungry, but I was not ravenous and out of control. And I had way more energy that I ever had in a long while.
I woke up this morning and felt a little hungry, but once I got up and found things to do, I was fine, and had another good day. Wow, just like that, my fear of missing a meal or two has vanished! It is almost like in the movie, the matrix, where Neo took the red pill and found he was a slave to the matrix, but I was a slave to food! Well, I believe this is for me, time will tell if it will work in the long run, I feel confident it will. I have decided to document here, my ups and downs with this new way of eating, (or not eating). Thanks for providing this forum for me to share this on!

Michael Thompson aka Darth Wader

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited March 2018
    Welcome and you sound like I felt about 2.5-yrs ago minus the hip pain. I rarely had energy to exercise and it was a chore to do so. Now I look forwards to it! I think the sugar ups and downs cause that crash in the afternoon, I'm not sure but I know I don't have them anymore while fasting.

I've never been afraid to fast a day since I've done that once a month for my whole adult life for religious reasons. I was afraid of stringing them together though so I googled "fasting diet" and a whole new world was opened to me. I found Joe's video and that inspired me and I thought if it didn't kill him or others, I would give it a go. Now it seems pretty natural.

Fasting all day still is work for me but drinking a lot of water helps a lot. Fasting tell noon is nothing. I could do that forever I think. I probably eat breakfast about once a month on the average and maybe not even that (usually it is when I'm on a scout campout or am going to do something real physical on a Saturday early). I do feel a little bit of hunger when I wake up but if I drink a glass of water, I usually don't feel it until around 2:00 pm (earlier if I don't eat enough the day before). So I do have to work a bit the last couple of hours but that is it!

You will find it is very convenient. I don't mess with breakfast and don't have to pack a lunch, that is awesome and saves a lot of money also! Give it a go and keep us informed. We can help you since we have been there. Don't worry if you have a bad day just get back at it!

Like your ice-fishing pic. I've not ice-fished and really need to try that. I do love fishing though!
  • DarthWaderMT
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for the comments! I am finding going all day without food surprisingly easy. maybe it is because have I eating mainly healthy food a long while now, so my body is adapting easier than if I was a typical standard american diet? I don't know. I do see on the videos that some people start off easy then it gets harder the second week? I will have to be prepared, and stick with it, because really i am out of any other good options. Ice fishing is great fun, though I do prefer open water haha
  • blambo61
    Thanks for the comments! I am finding going all day without food surprisingly easy. maybe it is because have I eating mainly healthy food a long while now, so my body is adapting easier than if I was a typical standard american diet? I don't know. I do see on the videos that some people start off easy then it gets harder the second week? I will have to be prepared, and stick with it, because really i am out of any other good options. Ice fishing is great fun, though I do prefer open water haha

Be glad it is easy for you! If it does get hard, chew gum, drink water, etc. You can get through it!
  • DarthWaderMT
    Yes! Yes! Yes!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Hello, I have just begun the fasting approach, I cannot believe I never thought of this before really. I used to do it all the time growing up without even thinking about it, I was just too busy playing and stuff, and then I would come home eat a big meal for supper, and watch TV, and go to bed. My well meaning family would scold me for doing this, because everyone needs to eat 3 times a day to be healthy, right? But I had lots of energy and was thin. I thought it was merely because I was young and active. maybe it was my lack of meals too?
    Then I got my drivers licence, and soon was driving everywhere I used to bike or walk. Plus it gave me access to go eat anywhere whenever I wanted.
    Soon I got older and my habits got worse. And i got more and more overweight. My wake up call was pain. my hips had many deformities from birth that needed correction. That left me not walking quite normal, but good enough, but the extra weight eventually wore out my hip joints so I could barely walk at 40. Plus no energy, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and possible pre diabetes symptoms started to drag me down.
    I tried every diet plan out there, I had some success, then I would not be able to stay on it. It was looking like I would have to get hip replacements soon, that motivated me to try one last time.
    I did a whole foods, plant based plan, and it started out good, I lost enough weight to keep from having hip surgery, and felt much better for a while. But lately, I am eating too much and too often, even though it is healthy food. I am a courier who is driving 10 plus hours every weekday, so I am eating 2-3 meals in my car. it is messy, distracting, time consuming to prepare, and I have to eat it cold since i don't have an oven in my car.
    I would sometimes get sick of eating cold veggies and grains, and splurge at taco Bell, or I would just be too tired in the morning to prepare my meals for the day. then who knows what I would eat. mostly "healthy" food, but usually high in calories.
    Lately I have put some of my weight back on, and my hips are starting to scream at me again. Plus, I get extremely fatigued and sleepy around 2-3 pm. Another problem was with the high volume of high fiber, low calorie veggies I was eating, I was always having to sit on the toilet, having to go 3-4 times a day sometimes which really messes up my day.

I just gave up on the plant based approach, and was looking into giving paleo diet another shot, and was watching some you tube to get started, when I found some topics on Intermittent fasting. Hmmmm interesting. I have not tried that yet. I was terrified of missing meals, I thought I would spin out of control and hit the buffet and just pig out. I listened to lots on the topic while driving for work, and the reasoning and science seemed to make enough sense, so I dove in on Thursday. I skipped breakfast! (OMG everyone needs breakfast right?)
    I had a lunch around 3 pm. I noticed I didn't get drowsy at 2-3 like usual. I had a small dinner when I went out with friends. I stayed out pretty late, so I slept in in the morning, determined to do the same thing. but I got up too late to prepare my lunch. I skipped breakfast again, but was stressed out wondering what to eat for lunch.
    I listened to more you tubes about fasting to keep me going and found some that talked about eating only one meal a day! That seemed way to radical to me! But as i listened, it seemed to make more sense, and I decided to go the whole day without eating til i got home. I ended up having to work late, so my fast lasted 25 hours!
    I was a bit hungry, but I was not ravenous and out of control. And I had way more energy that I ever had in a long while.
    I woke up this morning and felt a little hungry, but once I got up and found things to do, I was fine, and had another good day. Wow, just like that, my fear of missing a meal or two has vanished! It is almost like in the movie, the matrix, where Neo took the red pill and found he was a slave to the matrix, but I was a slave to food! Well, I believe this is for me, time will tell if it will work in the long run, I feel confident it will. I have decided to document here, my ups and downs with this new way of eating, (or not eating). Thanks for providing this forum for me to share this on!

Michael Thompson aka Darth Wader

Welcome! You put a lot into that, I see!

I, too, would get a fix at Taco Bell quite often. I can relate. Just remember, the more inclined people are to share their journey, the more they need to recognize that there will come days when you won't want to continue your journey. Learn to eat OMAD and make a way of life. Otherwise, the waxing and waning of moods will hurt any eating plan efforts.
  • DarthWaderMT

Welcome! You put a lot into that, I see!

I, too, would get a fix at Taco Bell quite often. I can relate. Just remember, the more inclined people are to share their journey, the more they need to recognize that there will come days when you won't want to continue your journey. Learn to eat OMAD and make a way of life. Otherwise, the waxing and waning of moods will hurt any eating plan efforts.

Thanks Bro! I do agree with you. I suppose any journey in life has tough times when we want to turn back. If it were easy, everyone would be successful right?

• Fonar7
    Fonar7 Posts: 39 Member
    Hi Michael
    I started last month; I was very hesitant, having quit OMAD before. Like you, I considered it too radical for me, but I was simultaneously drawn to this WOE. Five weeks in, there's no going back. As Joseph Campbell said, "the cave you fear to enter holds the treasure that you seek".

Best of luck in your efforts!
  • sunnycobayo
    sunnycobayo Posts: 236 Member
    Welcome aboard, Michael! We're all here to support you. :)
  • aleroache20
    aleroache20 Posts: 106 Member
    Welcome Micheal from a fellow newbie! Excited to share your journey...
  • DarthWaderMT
    Fonar7 wrote: »
    Hi Michael
    I started last month; I was very hesitant, having quit OMAD before. Like you, I considered it too radical for me, but I was simultaneously drawn to this WOE. Five weeks in, there's no going back. As Joseph Campbell said, "the cave you fear to enter holds the treasure that you seek".

Best of luck in your efforts!

Good work! thanks!

• DarthWaderMT
    Welcome aboard, Michael! We're all here to support you. :)

awesome! thanks!!
  • DarthWaderMT

Thabnks you! just completed day 4, went out ice fishing all day. got some nice fish for three dinners :)
  • dkayingram
    dkayingram Posts: 737 Member
    Welcome!
  • DarthWaderMT
    dkayingram wrote: »
    Welcome!

Thankyou! :)
  • DarthWaderMT
    edited March 2018
    I had what I thought would be my first bump in my fasting journey. was out fishing on a frozen lake all day, and did well despite not eating, had plenty of energy to chase fish and drill holes all over the thick ice. in the evening I rode home with a friend, and he didn't eat much all day and was hungrier than me since he was not used to fasting. we decided to stop and eat out on the way home to break the fast. Unfortunately, we got off the lake so late, that all the restaurants that could offer a nourishing good meal were closed. Only the pizza joint was open, so I had to settle for pizza and a glass of beer. I was quite concerned that I would wake up today feeling terrible from my dinner, and be tired and hungry, but nope! I feel good and energized, and ready to enjoy the benefits of fasting all day again today. So this "bump" was all in my head! :)
  • dkayingram
    dkayingram Posts: 737 Member
    Yay that is awesome!!!
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    You can really eat whatever you want for your OMAD meal and it not be a problem as long as you are not going over on your calories (Of course you would rather it be healthy). The beauty of OMAD, no restrictions.
  • blambo61

Thabnks you! just completed day 4, went out ice fishing all day. got some nice fish for three dinners :)

What did you catch?
  • blambo61
    I had what I thought would be my first bump in my fasting journey. was out fishing on a frozen lake all day, and did well despite not eating, had plenty of energy to chase fish and drill holes all over the thick ice. in the evening I rode home with a friend, and he didn't eat much all day and was hungrier than me since he was not used to fasting. we decided to stop and eat out on the way home to break the fast. Unfortunately, we got off the lake so late, that all the restaurants that could offer a nourishing good meal were closed. Only the pizza joint was open, so I had to settle for pizza and a glass of beer. I was quite concerned that I would wake up today feeling terrible from my dinner, and be tired and hungry, but nope! I feel good and energized, and ready to enjoy the benefits of fasting all day again today. So this "bump" was all in my head! :)

I think we have some reserve. I used to go to bed and have acid reflux. I think I just had too much food in me and would get backed up. That just about never happens with me anymore even if I eat late. I think it is good to let the guts have a break that OMAD brings.
  • DarthWaderMT
    blambo61 wrote: »

What did you catch?

I got lots of sunfish and crappies! Had some for dinner tonight :)

0uac525b5ns4.jpg