TEAM: Gutbusters (April)

Options

Replies

• sunderland_mich93
    sunderland_mich93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    @craigo3154
    I would like to be rolled over, but could you change my weigh-in day to Saturday?

Thanks

@sunderland_mich93. Done. Weigh-in day for you for May is now set to Saturday.

Great! Thanks a lot! You’re doing very well as a moderator.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    April 23
    Exercised?: Yes. Walk 6km in 46 mins (hills)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Walk before dinner. Really starting to get dark early here.

Opened registrations for next month. Please tag or message me if you do not wish to roll over into next month.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for April 23 is side planks. ()

2 sets
    • First set 15s, 30s each side, wait 2 mins
    • Second set 15s, 30s each side.

• craigo3154
    Options
    @concordancia. @eevang. Great to read the responses as to what your why is. Knowing your why helps keep you going when the going gets tough.

In the theme of daily question; Have you ever tried to out-exercise a bad diet?

When I started, I believed that exercise alone can overcome diet. You wanted to get in shape, it just took exercise or time in the gym. Fortunately, after about a month I found out how wrong this was.

My first month trying to lose weight, I increased activity and expected the weight to move.

No surprise to all - It didn't.

Only when I started subtly changing my eating habits did the weight start to move. In fact with the right eating habits, the weight maintains even when I cannot get regular activity.
  • sunderland_mich93
    sunderland_mich93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154
    I had the same problem. I never understood how people said that losing weight was all about diet. How does working out or being active not help you lose weight? Until I heard the saying, “Your feet can never out run your mouth”, I never got it. Now, I get that I can eat an hours worth of calories in five minutes.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have not tried to out exercise a bad diet. However, my mojo for diet and exercise seem to go hand in hand. For one thing, if I am moving more, I have less time to eat out of boredom and better ways of dealing with stress. On the other hand, if I am eating better for health, moving more is part of that equation.

I have tried to overexercise on a restricted diet. I tried to Biggest Loser my way through on a couple of occassions. Two weeks of working out like a maniac on 1500-1700 calories without losing an ounce and I would just give up out of frustration. Even with more moderation, it was about a month before I lost anything this time.

It has been six or seven years since I was as consistent as I have been now and I will soon be at about what I was when my husband and I got together. It is the first time in ages that I have even been below 200. Unfortunately, it helps knowing that giving up can have dire consequences for my health. It sometimes helps with individual choices and it always helps with getting right back with the program. I know even that isn't true for everyone, though.
  • concordancia
    Options
    Username: concordancia
    Day: Monday
    Week: 4
    Previous weight: 198.5
    Current weight: 198

I am blaming the hormones: I was freezing even in my normally preferred 70 degrees all weekend. I even had the heat cranked up to 75 yesterday, with a fleece on the whole time and only drank warm or hot water. I woke up hot in the middle of the night and removed half of the extra layers I had piled on to get warm enough to fall asleep, so not like hot flash hot, just a sudden return to normal. As a matter of fact, I swear I suffer from cold flashes instead of hot flashes.
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    April 22
    Exercised?: Yes, 10min dumbbell workout and 5km run

April 23
    Exercised?: Yes, 5min core workout and 5km run

Have you ever tried to out-exercise a bad diet? I'd agree with @concordancia in that when I get on top of my diet (not dieting!) my enthusiasm for exercise comes with it. I now plan to try and compensate with exercise if I know there's an indulgent meal coming up, but that's the extent for me.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    In the past, I started a diet by calorie counting and increasing exercise but the minute I got too busy for exercise, I’d start struggling to keep within my calories goals. This time, I did two months of diet only before adding exercise, and I taught myself how to eat more effectively. I paid more attention to satiety and calorie quality. On days I can’t go to the gym, I can now be comfortable with my calorie goals.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Forgot to mention yesterday. Happy weigh-in day for: @brunchowl. @eevang. @mollymom07. @westray16. and @HSM2673.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    @craigo3154
    I would like to be rolled over, but could you change my weigh-in day to Saturday?

Thanks

@sunderland_mich93. Done. Weigh-in day for you for May is now set to Saturday.

Great! Thanks a lot! You’re doing very well as a moderator.

@sunderland_mich93. Thank you. Moderating does take a bit of work, but it's worth it as it helps so many.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Username: eevang
    Weigh-in week: Week 4
    Weigh-in day: Monday
    Previous week's weight: 188.8
    Current weight: 186.6

I think the last time I was in the 170s was 2013. I felt comfortable wearing sleeveless shirts/dresses back then. Those days are coming soon and just in time for summer! A little over a month at my current rate.

I’m starting to realize how big the mental adjustment might be. I keep expecting to see someone else in the mirror. Soon I’ll look more like my 21 year old self than the person I was 6 months ago.
  • concordancia
    Options
    eevang wrote: »
    Username: eevang
    Weigh-in week: Week 4
    Weigh-in day: Monday
    Previous week's weight: 188.8
    Current weight: 186.6

I think the last time I was in the 170s was 2013. I felt comfortable wearing sleeveless shirts/dresses back then. Those days are coming soon and just in time for summer! A little over a month at my current rate.

I’m starting to realize how big the mental adjustment might be. I keep expecting to see someone else in the mirror. Soon I’ll look more like my 21 year old self than the person I was 6 months ago.

I glimpsed my college freshman self in the mirror this morning, skin was laying just right across the bones, but I haven't lost quite enough for the wrinkles to come out.
  • westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    User ID westray16
    April week 4
    Weigh in day Monday
    Last week 13st 10lb
    This week 13st 10lb

Little bit out of control with tracking the calories at the moment
  • HSM2673
    HSM2673 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    HSM2673
    Last week: 151
    This week: 148.8
    Previous week weight gain must have been water weight, happy to be under 150
  • craigo3154
    edited April 2018
    Options
    April 24
    Exercised?: Yes. Walk 5km in 37 mins (hills)

Shorter walk just before dusk, started drizzling rain too. Winter is definitely on the way.

My wife made pavlova for desert again. I feel at times I am getting spoiled.

Late night as took daughter skating and went flying. Was too tired to do a daily post before going to bed (which is why I am posting in on my Wednesday morning).

For those who don't know what pavlova is; it is a meringue dessert topped with whipped cream and either fruit or peppermint chocolate.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for April 24 is push ups

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • craigo3154
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Username: craigo3154
    Weigh in week: Week 4
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: (65.0kg) 143.3
    Todays Weight: (63.9kg) 140.9

Been 63.9kg for the last 4 days straight (lowest weight I can remember measuring at in my adult life). Not sure if it wants to bounce up or down.

This puts me at a BF% of about 7.5% and a BMI of 20.86 (Normal range is 18.5 to 24.9) so I am a touch on the light side. So you can see why I am coach not competitor. To intentionally try to lose weight from where I am would be insane.

To put this in perspective. A year ago I was 89kg, BF% 33.6 and BMI 29.0 (borderline obese).
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Happy weigh-in day for: @aeloine. @inshapeCK. @sunderland_mich93.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    HSM2673 wrote: »
    HSM2673
    Last week: 151
    This week: 148.8
    Previous week weight gain must have been water weight, happy to be under 150

@HSM2673. Well done for getting under 150 (again) and recording your lowest reading this month.

It's always hard to maintain (and even lose) weight when you are in the 150 range.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    westray16 wrote: »
    User ID westray16
    April week 4
    Weigh in day Monday
    Last week 13st 10lb
    This week 13st 10lb

Little bit out of control with tracking the calories at the moment

@westray16. You are doing OK. It takes practice to consistently track. MFP makes it easier (as it works on most devices and has an extensive database - although occasionally inaccurate - picking the right entry takes a bit of practice - key I find is looking at the macros instead of just the total calories).

Keep with it. It does get easier. Once tracking is normal, reviewing how to make subtle changes to keep in budget (and slowly lose) can be done.

Also with tracking, trends can be identified. This is how I found that for me:
    • Gluten does not agree with me (works like excess salt on me - water retention, also makes me sluggish and slows uptake of other nutrients).
    • Carbs (like sugar) are generally fine (burst of energy, but have in moderation)
    • Carbs with fibre taken in conjunction with protein (meat and vegetables) does me the most good
    • Soup is a great satisfier (with carbs with fibre taken in conjunction with protein)
    • Natural fats are good for me (longer energy with satiety) - so never I never go for fat reduced food.

You will have your own foods that are good and bad for you. Tacking is the only way to find it.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    In answering @westray16. I got my question for the day. What foods do and don't work for you?

For me I've found I need to tread gluten like a mild poison or allergen (can have only a little, too much has undesirable consequences).

Natural foods are the ideal. High protein works best for me. (So yes, I am a carnivore).

Natural fats are also good (where as trans-fat {ie. "cooked in oil" where a lot of the oil is absorbed} should be limited).

What does work for you?
    What should you avoid?
This discussion has been closed.