TEAM: Gutbusters (April)

Options

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I did a Zumba class today. I was a bit surprised to see how easy it was for me to keep up. I mean, I don't bounce as much as the instructor, but I was never even winded. I guess all that moving I have been doing lately has paid off.

Veggies and most proteins keep me pretty satisfied. I can usually accept a portion size of anything if I out the thought into it, but what I need to avoid are hormones and stress. Since that isn't possible, I limit my exposure to cheap chocolates (Reese's PB cups, anything Hershey's) and carby snacks. It is easier to savor the good stuff and be satisfied with a serving.

Speaking of hormones, I am ridiculously bloated. My dietician thinks it might be the fat loss messing with my hormones. Yay me.
  • brunchowl
    brunchowl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention yesterday. Happy weigh-in day for: @brunchowl. @eevang. @mollymom07. @westray16. and @HSM2673.

I did weigh in--did I get lost in the shuffle?

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    April 25
    Exercised?: Yes. Walk 5km in 37 mins (hills) + Drone practice track packup.
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Public holiday today so went flying in the afternoon. Good weather, but likely the last gasp before Winter starts to set in.

Walk before dinner, right on dusk again.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for April 25 is lunges ()

3 sets
    • First set 10 or 15 each leg (if 10 is too easy continue to 15).
    • Second set 6 or 9 each leg.
    • Third set 5 or 8 each leg.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    brunchowl wrote: »
    User id: brunchowl
    April week 4
    Last week’s weight: 179
    Today: 177.4

I was worried I’d bounce back a little after my big whoosh last week but it looks like it’s “sticking,” yay! Onwards!

@brunchowl. Had missed this, but got it now.

You have had an awesome month. Amazing work. Looks like you have found our formula for weight loss. Especially keeping momentum after such a woosh in week 3.

Care to share what you are doing that is working for you?
  • craigo3154
    Options
    I did a Zumba class today. I was a bit surprised to see how easy it was for me to keep up. I mean, I don't bounce as much as the instructor, but I was never even winded. I guess all that moving I have been doing lately has paid off.

Veggies and most proteins keep me pretty satisfied. I can usually accept a portion size of anything if I out the thought into it, but what I need to avoid are hormones and stress. Since that isn't possible, I limit my exposure to cheap chocolates (Reese's PB cups, anything Hershey's) and carby snacks. It is easier to savor the good stuff and be satisfied with a serving.

Speaking of hormones, I am ridiculously bloated. My dietician thinks it might be the fat loss messing with my hormones. Yay me.

@concordancia. You have been working consistently and it seems to be paying off. Great to hear you could keep up in the Zumba class.

Avoiding or having strategies to cope with stress is important. Stress throws everything out of balance. For me, exercise and adequate sleep helps immeasurably with handling stress.

Also, when you burn fat it becomes water and CO2. Often the water is stored for a while before being flushed from your system. You have been working hard and the body takes time to change. Hopefully the hormone imbalance and bloating are very temporary as a new equilibrium is found.
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Username: inshapeCK
    Weigh in week: Week 4
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: 149.9 pounds
    Todays Weight: 149.4 pounds

I AM SUPER STOKED THAT I HAVE A LOSS THIS WEEK! :p
    YESTERDAY MY WEIGHT WAS 151.6 POUNDS SO I NEEDED TO LOSE 1.7 POUNDS OVERNIGHT :o TO ACHIEVE A MAINTAIN.
    I WORKED REALLY HARD TO TRY TO MAKE LOTS OF HEALTHY EATING CHOICES YESTERDAY AND TOLD MYSELF THAT EVEN IF I HAD A GAIN TODAY IT WOULD BE OKAY AS WEIGHT GOES UP AND DOWN AND EVEN THOUGH I HAVE MADE SOME UNHEALTHY EATING CHOICES THIS PAST WEEK I AM STILL ON COURSE SO WAS I EVER HAPPILY SURPRISED AND SHOCKED ACTUALLY WHEN I GOT ON THE SCALE THIS MORNING AND IT SHOWED ME THAT NOT ONLY DID I GET BACK INTO THE 140S AND OUT OF THE 150S AGAIN BUT I LOST THE 1.7 POUNDS I NEEDED TO PLUS AN EXTRA HALF A POUND SO A 2.2 POUND LOSS SINCE YESTERDAY! <3 WOOHOO!

I KNOW WEIGHT FLUCTUATES EVERY DAY FOR MANY, MANY REASONS BUT GLAD THAT THIS TIME IT FLUCTUATED IN MY FAVOUR FOR MY WEIGH IN DAY AS OFTEN I HAVE A GOOD WEIGH IN THE DAYS LEADING UP TO MY OFFICIAL WEIGH IN DAY AND THEN THE DAY OF MY OFFICIAL WEIGH IN MY WEIGHT IS UP SO I END UP BUMMED ABOUT POSTING A GAIN. ANYWAY, NOT THIS WEEK! FEELING HAPPY! :)
  • westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    westray16 wrote: »
    User ID westray16
    April week 4
    Weigh in day Monday
    Last week 13st 10lb
    This week 13st 10lb

Little bit out of control with tracking the calories at the moment

@westray16. You are doing OK. It takes practice to consistently track. MFP makes it easier (as it works on most devices and has an extensive database - although occasionally inaccurate - picking the right entry takes a bit of practice - key I find is looking at the macros instead of just the total calories).

Keep with it. It does get easier. Once tracking is normal, reviewing how to make subtle changes to keep in budget (and slowly lose) can be done.

Also with tracking, trends can be identified. This is how I found that for me:
    • Gluten does not agree with me (works like excess salt on me - water retention, also makes me sluggish and slows uptake of other nutrients).
    • Carbs (like sugar) are generally fine (burst of energy, but have in moderation)
    • Carbs with fibre taken in conjunction with protein (meat and vegetables) does me the most good
    • Soup is a great satisfier (with carbs with fibre taken in conjunction with protein)
    • Natural fats are good for me (longer energy with satiety) - so never I never go for fat reduced food.

You will have your own foods that are good and bad for you. Tacking is the only way to find it.

Many thanks for the support- you are a great motivator.
    Veg and lentil soup works for me and I haven't had it for months so it's bubbling away on the log burner as I write this. As you say, soup is a great satisfied. Hopefully will get back onto the tracking now.
  • brunchowl
    brunchowl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    brunchowl wrote: »
    You have had an awesome month. Amazing work. Looks like you have found our formula for weight loss. Especially keeping momentum after such a woosh in week 3.

Care to share what you are doing that is working for you?

Thank you Craig! This challenge has been great for me. I've lost 57.6 lbs since I joined in October 2017 (75 lbs overall since August 2017). It really helps that my weigh-in day is Monday, because it keeps me motivated through the weekend. This has been a great month, I'm expecting some less spectacular weeks to come because I don't generally pull so many big numbers in a row.

I don't do any exercise, which, I'd like to start at some point. I'm very sedentary, but I'm a full-time working solo (my husband lives out-of-state) mom of a 1-year old so it's hard to find the time/energy.

I stuck to 1300 calories/day until I got down to about 190 lbs and now I'm doing 1200/day. Meal prepping is my #1 strategy for easy tracking and losing weight. I don't track macros or limit any foods, just count calories and generally try to strive for lower cal/higher volume foods to stay fuller longer (lots of veggies!). My goal is to reach 150 lbs by August this year, which will be 100 lbs total in 1 year. Then I will take a maintenance break. Hope everyone has a great rest of April!
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    April 25
    Exercised?: Yes, 5.2km run on the treadmill

What foods do and don't work for you?
    I'm still trying to figure this one out. Have been mapping my weekly macros, cross referenced with average daily calorie intake against weekly weight loss to try and find out if high or low carb/fat/protein combos result in the biggest loss (I average 44% carb, 32% fat and 23% protein) and I'm not seeing a pattern at all! I haven't yet cross referenced weekly exercise calories, maybe that's what is the effective element for me. So to date I'm yet to see if there's a specific food that affects me.
  • sunderland_mich93
    sunderland_mich93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t even know where to start when it comes to trying to figure out what my body needs/reacts to better in terms of weight loss! Lol
  • sunderland_mich93
    Options
    Username: sunderland_mich93
    Previous Week's Weight: 198.1
    Todays Weight: 196.4
  • concordancia
    Options

Looks like you do indeed have a clue!
  • concordancia
    Options
    I didn't realize until I woke up this morning: I kept my arms up and swinging through the whole Zumba class. While great for Zumba, it made today's pushups rather hard. Downward facing dog is still getting easier, though! Next goal: heels on the floor.
  • sunderland_mich93
    Options
    @concordancia

Definitely not! Haha. I just eat when I am actually HUNGRY, minimized my sugar, and eat whatever my heart desires, while keeping the serving amount in minds. I’ve just been “lucky” so far. I also try to work out about 5 times a week.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    .. Looks like you do indeed have a clue!
    @concordancia

Definitely not! Haha. I just eat when I am actually HUNGRY, minimized my sugar, and eat whatever my heart desires, while keeping the serving amount in minds. I’ve just been “lucky” so far. I also try to work out about 5 times a week.

@sunderland_mich93. I'm actually with @concordancia. on this. You have an idea, you are just discounting it because it seems so simple.

Your rough plan is:
    • Minimised sugar
    • Preparation (to keep inside budget)
    • Portion control
    • Maintain activity

The great thing about minimised sugar is twofold:
    • Less non-filling calories
    • Sweet sensitivity returns (over-sweet foods actually start to taste bad),

Not luck, just planning and following common sense principles.

Over 3% for the month. You are going fantastic so far.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    April 26
    Exercised?: Yes. Walk 3km in 24 mins (hills).

Busy work day. Only just managed to get walk in.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for April 26 is plank. (standard, forearm or knee) (https://greatist.com/fitness/perfect-plank)

2 sets
    • First set 30 seconds if new to them, 60 seconds if a regular, 90 seconds if can regularly make 60 seconds. , wait 2
    • Second set 15 seconds, 30 seconds or 60 seconds
  • craigo3154
    Options
    emmclean wrote: »
    April 25
    Exercised?: Yes, 5.2km run on the treadmill

What foods do and don't work for you?
    I'm still trying to figure this one out. Have been mapping my weekly macros, cross referenced with average daily calorie intake against weekly weight loss to try and find out if high or low carb/fat/protein combos result in the biggest loss (I average 44% carb, 32% fat and 23% protein) and I'm not seeing a pattern at all! I haven't yet cross referenced weekly exercise calories, maybe that's what is the effective element for me. So to date I'm yet to see if there's a specific food that affects me.

@emmclean. Sounds like you work best on that type of balance. 44/32/23. Slightly lighter on the carbs and more on the fats and protein.

The other good thing in that there seems to be no specific food sensitivities. You can really only find food sensitivities by experimentally cutting a group for a week or so and seeing a change.

I only found gluten because in order to keep inside budget I dropped flour based products (calorie rich, satiety poor) and it had a much greater than anticipated effect than anticipated. I was weighing daily (and often twice daily) so I could see the body's reactions. With enough data points, the trend became obvious.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Happy weigh-in day to @parinzz.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Daily question: What activity have you not done but would like to try? Could be something you have not done for years, but increases fitness/health may make possible.

For me it's ice skating. I used to skate competitively, but there are no rinks close to me now. I occasionally would like to get the feeling back that gliding almost effortlessly over the ice used to give. Less weight and increased fitness should make it more enjoyable.

I went roller skating with my daughter a while back, but hire roller skates are terrible and really do not glide (and take quite a effort to turn on one foot).
This discussion has been closed.