TEAM: Gutbusters (April)

Options

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    HSM2673 wrote: »
    This week has been challenging for me, my grandmother passed away yesterday and haven’t been working out or eating well. (Bingeing on lots of carbs). Leaving out of town tomorrow for the funeral, staying in a hotel & eating out. The only good things is that while I was packing my suitcase I found a belt that shows wear and the NSV of the difference where I before & now. This will motivate me to get back on track.

@HSM2673. My deepest sympathies on your grandmother passing. Hope you can celebrate all the happy memories you made together and be kind to yourself.

The belt is a fantastic example successful NSV's. ( I think I have one similar :) ). Keep up the great work and take in more over the coming months.

• craigo3154
    Options
    April 21
    Exercised?: Yes. Setup of FPV track and FPV race.
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Flew well today. Kept improving lap times (which was my goal). No obstacles hit (also a goal). Ended up 3rd in division. Was faster than those I had originally aspired to catch up to (which surprised me).

Good afternoon with friends.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for April 21 is door frame rows ()

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
    • Third set

The reason for this exercise is push ups and dips work primarily the triceps (pushing). This exercise balances the others by working the biceps (pulling).
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Happy weigh day for: @Asturiah. @krissturner. @Reanna143. @TypingToaster.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Question for the day. Your strategies for eating out?

Mine are:
    • Preference protein over processed carbs (including products made with wheat flour).
    • Do not have to eat everything in the served portion.
    • Drink water (tap water - at least one glass per other beverage - usually take a water bottle).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Unless I have decided ahead of time to enjoy a special treat, I focus on protein and veggies. Last night, I had prime rib with seasonal vegetables. The house salad was mixed greens, blue cheese, candied walnuts and vinagrette. I ate less than half the walnuts and my husband ate the mashed potatoes. I don't generally like mashed potatoes, so no hardship there. The club only brings rolls if you ask for them. Sometimes my husband does, but he always asks me first, even though I have never said no. I just make sure they are placed out of my reach so that I don't go for them absent mindedly.

I always drink water at restaurants, no matter how well or poorly I am eating overall. Maybe an unsweetened tea. I used to have Dr. Pepper at fast food restaurants, but I cut that out on a diet years ago and never started up again. Occasionally, I might have coffee or an unadultered latte. The only "drink your calories" problem I have had in years was McDonald's hazelnut iced coffee. I don't drink much alcohol, either, and lately I have to drive, so never while we are out.

Sit down restaurants are the one place we do not take our water bottles. They are usually pretty good about keeping our glasses full. If we been out in the sun, I might request a pitcher or carafe. We drink tap water, but restaurants usually serve it filtered out of the soda machine, so it is even better than our home Brita filter or the reverse osmosis system in the marina lounge.
  • Stefbomb2020
    Stefbomb2020 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Username: reanna143
    Weigh in week: Week3
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous weeks weight: 207
    Today’s weight: 205.2
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I feel like my restaurant game is strong. I generally plan ahead and look up the menu if I can. If I feel good about a certain choice, I go ahead and log it to see how many calories I’m left to work with for the rest of the day. This encourages me to make good choices.

The main things though is I ask for substitutions. I try to get rid of the carbs I don’t care about. I honesty do not care about some carbs and can’t believe I’ve eaten them so long just because they were there.

Instead of a bun on my burger, I politely ask for a bed of lettuce (restaurants often give me enough lettuce for a small salad). Italian restaurants are tricky, so I might ask for a bed of broccoli in place of noodles. Instead of a slice of bread with a breakfast plate, I ask for extra steamed tomatoes. I always check out the menu to make sure the substitutions I ask for are possible, and the choice is ultimately up to the restaurant, but I’ve never once been refused. I also haven’t been charged extra. If I’m asking for broccoli instead of noodles, they know I’m trying to make healthier choices and most are happy to accommodate.

I genuinely believe that most American restaurants’ average meals are 700-1000 calories, and substitutions are often needed to find balance.
  • krissturner
    krissturner Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Username: krissturner
    Weigh in week: Week 3
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous weeks weight: 246.4
    Today’s weight: 245.6
    Goodnight everyone!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    April 22
    Exercised?: Yes. Walk 6km in 46 mins (hills)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Walk before lunch. Flying before dinner.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for April 22 is side lunges ()

3 sets
    • First set 10 or 15 each leg (if 10 is too easy continue to 15).
    • Second set 6 or 9 each leg.
    • Third set 5 or 8 each leg.
  • craigo3154
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Great suggestions by @concordancia. and @eevang. on eating out. Preparation and asking for what you want/need seem to be the keys.

Today's question: "What is you why?"

Why are you losing weight?
    • Health?
    • Partner?
    • Self Confidence?
    • To prove someone wrong?

I started when I realised I was over 90kg (200lbs). I was shocked that I had let go so far (I had always though of myself in the low 80's since having to stop skating because of work). My mood was bad, my self confidence was down, I felt out of shape.

I started by doing one thing. Doing 10 push ups each day (and monitoring weight). I managed to keep this up for a month and weight did not change. So I started investigating on how to lose weight:
    1. for free
    2. no "diets" or "supplements"
    3. had LONG term results
    4. could be done by someone at ANY age.

I learned a lot along the way. The biggest thing I found is that by maintaining weight *I* felt *MUCH* better and could do so much more.

My biggest why now is to keep both my mental and physical health (and to help others).

It's was (and still is) work, but it was worth all the effort. Fortunately most of the effort now is done by habits I have in place, so most of the time I barely notice the continuing effort.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Message for all team members:
    @biche896.
    @brunchowl.
    @concordancia.
    @eevang.
    @mollymom07.
    @westray16.
    @HSM2673.
    @aeloine.
    @inshapeCK.
    @sunderland_mich93.
    @parinzz.
    @Stimpy56.
    @alydanbeads.
    @szymanskicolleen.
    @typeitdaily.
    @Asturiah.
    @emmclean.
    @krissturner.
    @Reanna143.
    @TypingToaster.

This is the last week of the April Challenge. After this week, all members will be rolled over automatically into the May challenge.

The May challenge thread is:
    TEAM: GUTBUSTERS (May) ( http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10661687/team-gutbusters-may#latest )
    If you wish not to participate next month, please message Ashley (@AB0215) or myself ( @craigo3154. )

Please view your team thread and post a brief introduction so others in the team can know who you are.

When viewing the thread, please "bookmark" the thread by pressing the "star" icon (it should turn yellow).
    3cu4npy62hfa.png

This way you can be notified whenever someone posts to the thread (your "bell" icon on most forum headers will show if there are any notifications).
    yop2unsw1ph1.png
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have several reasons for loosing. Number one is diabetes. Number two is to be able to better do some things I already do:

-At 145 pounds, my husband can stand on the kayak and hoist himself into the deck of our boat. Between pushing the kayak down more and not being able to hoist my *kitten* up (literally, the deck is at the top of my hinney, so I would have to go out and up somehow), I have to climb the swim ladder at the stern, then tie up the kayak alongside. Being four inches shorter than him, I may never manage to hoist myself up, but I don't want my *kitten* to be the problem.

-We plan to travel parts of the world that don't stock XL clothes.

-We have a deal to take acroyoga classes once I weigh the same as him.

• eevang
    Options
    @craigo3154 I’m having trouble clicking the star to bookmark the new thread. It says I need permission? I don’t think I’m doing anything different than usual...
  • eevang
    Options
    I’m losing weight for health but also self confidence. As far as health goes, I got tired of feeling weak. I love how much easier moving around is now. I love how I’ve learned to eat a more nutritious, balanced diet.

Self confidence has always been an issue. I was a thin child but haven’t been happy with my body since puberty. The weight has always been creeping up since then—about 5-10 pounds per year. I’m tired of feeling so self conscious all the time. I’m tired of letting my body be an excuse to not do things. Even though I’m fairly far from my goal weight, the actual process of losing weight and working out has restored my self confidence significantly.
  • sunderland_mich93
    sunderland_mich93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154
    I would like to be rolled over, but could you change my weigh-in day to Saturday?

Thanks
  • sunderland_mich93
    sunderland_mich93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    eevang wrote: »
    @craigo3154 I’m having trouble clicking the star to bookmark the new thread. It says I need permission? I don’t think I’m doing anything different than usual...

@craigo3154
    Same here. It says I need permission from Vanilla...something. Lol
  • biche896
    biche896 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Username: biche896
    Weigh in week: Week 4 of April
    Weigh in day: Sunday
    Previous Weight: 141.76
    Todays Weight: 141.09
  • craigo3154
    Options
    To all those trying to bookmark a thread, MFP seems to have an issue at the moment.

The error "You need the Vanilla.Discussions.View permission to do that." is appearing.

I have raised an issue with MPF support. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

I will report back when this issue is resolved.

Thanks for your patience.
    Craig (@craigo3154.) - TBL moderator.

Tagging in all team members:
    @biche896.
    @brunchowl.
    @concordancia.
    @eevang.
    @mollymom07.
    @westray16.
    @HSM2673.
    @aeloine.
    @inshapeCK.
    @sunderland_mich93.
    @parinzz.
    @Stimpy56.
    @alydanbeads.
    @szymanskicolleen.
    @typeitdaily.
    @Asturiah.
    @emmclean.
    @krissturner.
    @Reanna143.
    @TypingToaster.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    @craigo3154
    I would like to be rolled over, but could you change my weigh-in day to Saturday?

Thanks

@sunderland_mich93. Done. Weigh-in day for you for May is now set to Saturday.
  • brunchowl
    brunchowl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    User id: brunchowl
    April week 4
    Last week’s weight: 179
    Today: 177.4

I was worried I’d bounce back a little after my big whoosh last week but it looks like it’s “sticking,” yay! Onwards!
This discussion has been closed.