Options

Replies

• HSM2673
    HSM2673 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    HSM2673
    Last week: 149
    This week: 151
    But according to my scale I have gain 2# of muscle, I hope this is true. I will find out next week.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The Plan:

-Low carb. My fasting blood sugar currently spikes if I have more than ~75g carbs a day. I will still relax this once in awhile, but my day to day goal is under 60g.
    -Focus on getting veggies and protein, the rest is filler. I don't worry about where the fat falls, although I do add in some nuts and healthy oils regularly.
    -At least 80 minutes of activity a day, at least 20 of that purposeful exercise.
    -Include cardio, resistance and flexibility in my weekly exercise.
    -Tracking: it is the only way to be honest about carbs, protein and calories.

I am a a long, long way from maintenance, but I already envision the above as long term habits, possibly adjusting the carbs at some point.
  • sunderland_mich93
    sunderland_mich93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, what is my plan to lose weight? I technically started my journey mid January at a weight of 215. I’ve lost about 17 pounds during this time, which averages out to a bit more than a pound a week (I think)

I haven’t really been restricting myself. I have a physical job, so that helps. I have also been going to the gym 4-6 times a week. It depends on my energy level. As for eating, I have cut down on sweets and the very RARE pop; otherwise I eat what I want. I have just been super mindful of my portions. Especially for the big hitters. I purchased a food scale to help out with meat weights and such, but still haven’t used it a ton.

My plan to keep it off, is to honestly keep doing what I have been, which is why I didn’t restrict myself since it is not practical for me, personally. I wanted to still be able to eat what I wished. I might not hit the gym as much in the coming months, but I’m hoping I will be more active in my daily life as the weather gets better. Focusing on fishing, swimming, cabin fun, (thank god im not a big drinker) gardening, and still maintain my portion control.

That’s the idea, anyway.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Username: craigo3154
    Weigh in week: Week 3
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: (65.5kg) 144.4
    Todays Weight: (65.0kg) 143.3

This seems to be round my normal. Last week my body had an over-reaction to too much gluten in a business lunch and jumped 2 lbs in a day. This week I have been a little less active than normal due to weather, but as normal diet has mostly returned weight has kind of stabilised.
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    April 17
    Exercised?: Yes, 30 mins of aerobic and abs class
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Went to a free class today, it's a women only gym near work who are having an open week. Good to switch up the workout routine but I'm glad I didn't pay - my style of class is less HIIT and more continuous movement, it was billed as 45m but there was so much waiting around between bursts I even started grapevining to keep moving! And despite me stretching every opportunity (due to very tight calves after my long walk on Sunday) the instructor never asked if any of us had injuries. Still, not complaining, was a good session overall!
  • concordancia
    Options
    April 17:
    Exercise: yes (lots of walking plus half of a Tai chi yoga video)
    Calories: yes
    Tracked: yes

Skipped a friend's birthday cupcakes, as I am still working at getting my blood sugar levels down after vacation and hormones.

Thought it was going to be a lazy day, but ended up walking for 45 minutes this evening.

My food choices were unique. Dinner was crepes, but with chickpea flour, which inspired a curried vegetable filling. So, kind of an eggy dosa. I will probably have it again.
  • concordancia
    Options
    Today's NSVs:

-Learned I can run one minute and it will probably be a very long time of building up the intervals before I attempt to run any longer than that.
    -I can touch my toes together when standing tall and hold downward facing dog for 8 counts.

My husband felt so bad about only telling me about half of his grocery list that he is off doing the shopping, which means I don't get those steps.
  • craigo3154
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Forgot to mention yesterday. Weight days for @aeloine. @inshapeCK. @sunderland_mich93.

Happy weigh-in day for: @parinzz. @Stimpy56.
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,946 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Username: inshapeCK
    Previous Week's Weight: 149.5
    Todays Weight: 149.9 pounds

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IMPRESSED THAT I AM ONLY UP 0.4 POUNDS AS I WAS OUT OF TOWN ON VACATION FOR 8 DAYS SO EATING OUT ON A REGULAR BASIS AND MY WEIGH IN DAY WAS MY FIRST FULL DAY HOME SO NO TIME TO TRY TO LOSE WEIGHT BEFORE THE WEIGH IN AFTER GETTING HOME.

I AM SO PROUD OF MYSELF AND THANKFUL TO GOD FOR THIS AS NORMALLY I GAIN A WHOLE BUNCH OF POUNDS WHEN I AM AWAY.

I DID ORDER A SALAD TWICE WHILE AWAY (AND I AM NOT A SALAD FAN) AND SOME DAYS I HAD US MAKE AND EAT PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICHES FOR 1 OF OUR MEALS SO WE DIDN'T EAT OUT BOTH LUNCH AND DINNER AND I DIDN'T BUY A BUNCH OF JUNKFOOD TO TAKE AWAY WITH ME ON THE TRIP SO I DIDN'T DO A BUNCH OF SNACKING.

PLUS WE WALKED FOR 49 MINUTES ON A BOARDWALK ON WEDNESDAY
    AND WALKED FOR 70 MINUTES IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION ON THE BOARDWALK ON THURSDAY
    AND WALKED FOR 55 MINUTES ON THE BEACH IN THE MORNING ON FRIDAY
    AND WALKED FOR 59 MINUTES AROUND A PARK IN THE LATE AFTERNOON ON FRIDAY
    AND WALKED AROUND AN ATTRACTION FOR A BUNCH OF HOURS ON SATURDAY
    AND WALKED FOR 43 MINUTES ON THE BEACH ON SUNDAY.
  • sunderland_mich93
    sunderland_mich93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Username:sunderland_mich93
    Weigh-in week: Week 3
    Weigh-in day: Wednesday
    Previous week’s weight: 199.3
    Today’s weight: 198.1
  • concordancia
    Options
    April 18:
    Exercise: yes (even did some yoga again, finally)
    Calories: yes
    Tracked: yes

I think my thighs are getting less lumpy. I don't know, it's cold and don't see much of them. They look pretty good in yoga pants when I am trying to get my nose to my knee.
  • krissturner
    krissturner Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! On my plan to lose and maintain;
    -Vegan diet, with the exception of salmon once a week. (I made a promise to my new doctor that I would incorporate it in more, not sure if it’ll stay for long.)
    -No soda. I used to drink like 3-6 cans a day and now it makes me really nauseous.
    -I snack a lot. Always vegetables or nuts. For me if I eat 5-6 super small things throughout my day I don’t need to scarf food when it hits my plate, there for I eat a lot less.
    -Tracking every single day. I can see what is going in my body, so I know if it needs something else or if I can make a better decision tomorrow. I deleted quite a few social media accounts off my phone so that I’d have more time for MFP.
    -More daily activity, usually walking. I try to walk my 3 dogs individually every day. Sometimes with my classes I simply don’t have time, they understand, and I still get my exercise from walking around campus. Still I do dance classes or go hiking when I can.
    -Bang or coffee every day, no mistakes there.It really helps with my lack of sleep.

I’ve lost 18.7 lbs/ 8.482 Kg/ 1.33 stones since March 2nd even with a few days when I lost my mojo and went off budget. This life style change has been the first to actually help me lose weight and I’m extraordinarily grateful it’s working.

Also, I just figured out what onederland is and good luck to y’all that are that close, I really hope you get there!
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Great question about plan bc I haven’t thought it through before.

Creating this was funny because I thought I wasn’t doing too many things to lose weight but boy that isn’t true.

Current Plan:
    1400ish cal per day
    Burn 200+ calories each day on average through exercise
    Exercise: Weekly weight lifting, 2 days+ cardio, 2 days + body weight exercise
    Nutrition: 5+ servings veggies/fruit per day, salmon a few times a week, encourage protein, discourage carbs, closely monitor high-fat snacks (by this I mean my snacks are purposefully high fat because I find it very satisfying, and I measure every snack and limit daily intake bc I have no self control with snacks otherwise)
    TRACK EVERRRYTHING

Goal Plan:
    Maintenance calories
    Exercise: 2 days+ weightlifting, 2 days+ cardio, 1 day+ bodyweight, 1 day+ mobility
    Nutrition: 5+ servings veggies/fruit per day, salmon a few times a week, encourage protein, discourage carbs, closely monitor high-fat snacks
    TRACK EVERRRYTHING

I’m going to try Keto out this summer when I have more time. I think it could help with my PCOS.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    April 18
    Exercised?: Yes. 60+ minutes housework + 2km walking to go flying while on breaks + walking between parent teacher interviews.

Busy work day and parent teacher interviews in the evening. Still managed to find enough times for flying to test changes to a quad.

April 19
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 6km in 45 mins (hills)

Todays walk was in daylight. Listening to an interesting book at present "Feeling Good" by David D. Burns. All about cognitive therapy and strategies to remediate depression. (I am not depressed, but like to research these things as mood is related to action).

Managed also to find the last issue with a poor performing quad and it is now flying great.

Lastly, was so far under calories today they the 100g lindt milk chocolate bunny that had been on my desk for the last month was finally enjoyed.

Daily Strength challenge

"Challenge for April 19 is squats (no weight - air squat - http://www.12minuteathlete.com/how-to-do-a-proper-air-squat/).
    You can do assisted squats (using a table or bench top to take weight off the knees if it is too much)."

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Great to hear peoples plans. Sounds like people are generally on the right track.

Glad to hear that most plan to continue tracking. MFP makes it easy and it is really the only way to tell if something is going astary.

@concordancia. Sounds on perfect track for long term maintenance of blood sugars (and weight)

@sunderland_mich93. Not restricting variety of food is important and practical. I find people crave what they are not allowed to have. Tracking enables easier work on portion control.

@krissturner. Sounds like your plan is working for you (it's not one I could do as I am a committed non-grazing carnivore). It seems the more often you eat, the more critical tracking becomes to ensure you do not over-eat. Good to see a lot of regular activity in there.

@eevang. Amazing how much is actually involved. It creeps up on you one small change at a time (which is the best way). As you are already prioritising protein, Keto is a good fit. Logically for me, Keto is too restrictive, but others have had great success with it.

Also, personally I find high natural fat snacks not a problem (not trans-fat snacks). Low fat or fat reduced is the problem as this usually means high sugar or processed carbs. Natural fat is filling and oddly enough does not enter the bloodstream as fat. Fat had been villified in the 60's and 70's by some erroneous research. That is now, finally, and slowly, being corrected.

• craigo3154
    Options
    emmclean wrote: »
    Went to a free class today, it's a women only gym near work who are having an open week. Good to switch up the workout routine but I'm glad I didn't pay - my style of class is less HIIT and more continuous movement, it was billed as 45m but there was so much waiting around between bursts I even started grapevining to keep moving! And despite me stretching every opportunity (due to very tight calves after my long walk on Sunday) the instructor never asked if any of us had injuries. Still, not complaining, was a good session overall!

HIIT is fine, but the instructor should has asked about injury if pushing intensity.

Also had this instructor not heard of active recovery? HIIT is not supposed to be Intense/stop/Intense/stop/... It is supposed to be Intense/slow/Intense/slow/...

Glad you enjoyed the session. Always good to try new things.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    inshapeCK wrote: »
    Username: inshapeCK
    Previous Week's Weight: 149.5
    Todays Weight: 149.9 pounds

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IMPRESSED THAT I AM ONLY UP 0.4 POUNDS AS I WAS OUT OF TOWN ON VACATION FOR 8 DAYS SO EATING OUT ON A REGULAR BASIS AND MY WEIGH IN DAY WAS MY FIRST FULL DAY HOME SO NO TIME TO TRY TO LOSE WEIGHT BEFORE THE WEIGH IN AFTER GETTING HOME.

@inshapeCK. Sounds like you managed the vacation well. It's the little things that make all the difference.

A lot of fun can be had without having to go overboard on eating.

Well done for not having a lot of ground to recover.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Just thought of a question for the team. (I try think of a daily question while I a caretaking in the absence of a captain).

How do you get back on-track when you have a bad day? Do you do anything different? Do you have a conscious process that gets you back into your healthy habits?

For me, I deliberately treat every day as a new day. Forgive the past (don't try compensate for it). Concentrate on now.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present'." -- Master Oogway - Kung Fu Panda.

"That was yesterday. What have you done for me today?" -- Hathaway - Real Genius
  • szymanskicolleen
    szymanskicolleen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If I get off track, I drink more water with lemon and get back to my routine.
  • concordancia
    Options
    It precisely thinking about "getting back on track" vs "I have to make up for my mistakes" that helps me.

I don't have to eat less because of what happened yesterday; I don't have to exercise more because of what didn't happen yesterday. I just need to get back into my routine.
This discussion has been closed.