Did You Lift Heavy Things Today?

AllanMisner
AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
If not, get on it! Makes all the difference.

Replies

• Did NRoL Break-In workout A today ... squats, lunges and stuff.
  • Jeffy67
    Jeffy67 Posts: 112 Member
    I didn't lift any today but I try to lift 3-4 times a week as well as cardio 5-6 times a week.
  • Ragtees
    Ragtees Posts: 33 Member
    Starting a free wights regiment on Saturday, first time since high school football. I have a friend who lifts religously who's willing to set me up with a lifting routine.
  • AllanMisner
    And today? I had a legs day. My energy wasn't 100%, so it was a push to get through the heavy stuff. But on the detail work (single leg squats and walking lunges) my flexibility and balance were better.

Ragtees starts Saturday, Eric is on a rest day, what about the rest of you?
  • Today was a lifting day! I am doing the New Rules of Lifting and currently on Break-In .... just finished Workout B which is deadlift, step-up lunges, one arm db shoulder press, close grip lat pulldown and reverse crunches. Feeling very full of energy and bouncy so far! Had strawberries for my pre-workout carbs and a Shakeology protein shake for my post-workout snack. Then, an hour later, had my normal breakfast.

Who else picked up and put down heavy things today?
  • AllanMisner
    Chest - DB Bench Press, DB incline Press, High Cable Press, Machine Flys. 35 minutes and a nice pump.
  • Nice ... what do you do for warm up? I do stretches of all big muscles, 5-6 treadmill run, and then small, low weight sets of each lift I plan to do.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Today was my rest day. Did legs yesterday after dinner. No heavy lifting but the workout really kicked my *kitten*. Worked up a great sweat. Slept like a baby.
  • AllanMisner
    Since I lift in the afternoon, I'm pretty much "warm" when I get in the gym. I do a lighter weight set of 12 - 15 reps as the first set of my first exercise and I'm ready to go.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    I think I got too aggressive on leg curls the other day. Yesterday I was just getting started on the treadmill with a slow jog and at .75 miles I heard this snap in my leg near the back of my knee and sort of radiating pain down my calf. Felt almost like a cramp. I think it's a mild pulled muscle (I hope). I was a little stiff this morning but I intend to go easy on it. I've been trying to get back into jogging after quitting last September due to my other knee going the fritz. That knee is fine now so I was easing into it. I'm also easing back into weights after being out for six months due to neck surgery. I'm just glad I didn't take myself out of exercise completely for a longer period. A cautionary tale I guess, old men with young hearts need to know their limits!
  • AllanMisner
    I think I got too aggressive on leg curls the other day. Yesterday I was just getting started on the treadmill with a slow jog and at .75 miles I heard this snap in my leg near the back of my knee and sort of radiating pain down my calf. Felt almost like a cramp. I think it's a mild pulled muscle (I hope). I was a little stiff this morning but I intend to go easy on it. I've been trying to get back into jogging after quitting last September due to my other knee going the fritz. That knee is fine now so I was easing into it. I'm also easing back into weights after being out for six months due to neck surgery. I'm just glad I didn't take myself out of exercise completely for a longer period. A cautionary tale I guess, old men with young hearts need to know their limits!

Glad it wasn't too serious. Yes, you need to go about weight training (or any training) with reason and a plan. Slow, but steady.
  • Yep, today was a pick up heavy things day .... New Rules of Lifting Break-In Workout B #2 to start off my 2nd week of NRoL. Pretty energized and happy after the workout, feeling good all day so far (it's about 1:15 PM Pacific) ... tomorrow is rest day. Am adding 30-45 of walking to my days starting this evening. Per Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint, I am aiming for 4 hours, or so, of walking per week, 3 heavy lifting days and 1 session of sprints or high intensity cardio. Will add the sprints/HIIT next week. Letting myself acclimate to the lifting also.

I have to say that I really like NRoL and their approach to lifting. If I was doing a lot of splits and muscle isolation, I am pretty sure I'd get bored with it. With this workout approach, I do 5 big compound exercises on each workout day. During break-in, each exercise contains 2 sets of 15 reps (except the damn crunches at 20 reps). It's fun, it's gets me working hard and feeling strong, am enjoying it.
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    If not, get on it! Makes all the difference.

I just started week 6 of a 4-day/week program. Only missed 2 days in the first 5 weeks and already gained upper body while losing a couple inches at the waist. Looking forward to seeing what 12 weeks will do.

-Kevin
  • AllanMisner
    I'm finding I have a sticking point on my lat pull downs and pull ups (assisted). So I tried an old trick. You take a lift and the concentric and eccentric parts of the lift go for 2 seconds, and you hold the contraction for 5 seconds. This causes quite a burn and pump. And since my sticking point was right near the top of the movement, it was perfect for letting me work through that.
  • Glad you figured out how to get through that!
  • AllanMisner
    Glad you figured out how to get through that!

We'll see if I got through the stick next work out. Sore as heck right now.
  • Today was New Rules Break-In Workout B #3 .... Deadlifts, Step-Up Lunges, Dumbbell One Arm Presses, Lat Pulldowns and Reverse Crunches. Just finished, did heaviest lifts yet since I started and I am very much smoked from head to toes. Feels good!
  • AllanMisner
    Chest and shoulders today. Had to deal with all the weights being in kilos instead of lbs. And my left shoulder was not "playing well with other" so I had to take it easy on the shoulders. But then my emphasis on chest was upper chest, so I probably just fatigued it too much beforehand. I'll have to go back to having shoulders on non-chest days.
  • mdgivens
    mdgivens Posts: 206 Member
    I did! Bench Press/Curl/Squats in the morning, and myself out of my chair for the rest of the day.
  • I did! Bench Press/Curl/Squats in the morning, and myself out of my chair for the rest of the day.

LOL .... I especially feel that way after days when I squat!