Did You Lift Heavy Things Today?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Outstanding! Only you're going to have regressive load as you lose weight.
  • Ragtees
    Ragtees Posts: 33 Member
    After doing circuit training for the last 4 months getting into free weights was actually pretty enjoyable. Worked on back and biceps...feeling it today especially after the curl exercise called 21 Gun Salute.

Very excied about the change up, i was getting bored jogging on the treadmill and just doing the machines...
  • mdgivens
    mdgivens Posts: 206 Member
    Heavy things lifted today:
    - Press (137.5 lb)
    - Chin-ups (me minus ~80 lb)
    - Squats (290 lb)
  • AllanMisner
    I'm in a hotel where the heaviest dumbbells are 50 lbs. There is a barbell, but no power rack. I'm trying to make due, slowing down the reps (5 second pauses), but this week will not lead to strength gains. I did back and biceps yesterday, chest and triceps are today.
  • Yesterday morning (Monday in Australia) was New Rules Break-In Workout A ..... squats, lunges, one arm dumbbell row, push-ups and medicine ball crunches. The hotel I'm at (Hilton Sydney) has a Living Well gym on the bottom floor that the hotel guests get access to. Squat rack, full sets of Olympic barbells and plates, full dumbbell sets.

So, I did a full workout, got all the travel kinks out of me and felt great all day. Only hard part was the whole converting kilograms to pounds thing so I knew what I was lifting.

I should note that apparently Monday is not just National Chest Day in the USA .... it appears to be Chest Day in Australia too .... making it International Chest Day .... some of the isolation lifts that the bro's were doing were kinda funny, gotta say.

As usual, I was the only guy squatting heavy.
  • mdgivens
    Heavy things lifted last night:
    - Bench Press (185 lb)
    - Curls (70 lb)
    - Sumo Deadlift (310 lb)
  • AllanMisner
    Back, Biceps and Abs. While I was in the gym, this 20 something, very tight, girl comes in and grabs a bar and commences to do a few good mornings about three feet from me. It was a good afternoon to me!
  • mdgivens
    Heavy Things Lifted Today:
    - Press (140 lb)
    - Chin-ups (me minus ~65 lb)
    - Squat (295 lb)

While I was in the gym, my older son (3) decided that he didn't want to pee in the potty this morning and that the carpet in his room would be a much better place.

amisnercpa had a much better gym experience than I did.
  • This morning was New Rules of Lifting Break-In Workout A #5 to finish up Week #3 of NRoL. I have 3 more NRoL Break-In workouts left and I will have finished the four weeks of Break-In. Then a 1 week recovery and on to Fat Loss I for 6 weeks.

Today was squats, lunges, one arm db row, push-ups and medicine ball crunches. Yes, medicine ball crunches seriously suck.
  • AllanMisner
    I have been lifting heavy-ish things this week. Four weight sessions in 8 days. The gym here doesn't have dumbbells over 50lbs (and I won't get under a bar if I don't have a power rack for safety). Relearned a lesson today, work on an unstable surface is hard. I dropped my dumbbell bench press weight down to (you guessed it) 50lbs, but did it on a ball. The inevitable wobbling made the weight so much harder to press. I feel like I did myself some good mixing it up like that.

Go lift something heavy, it ups your testosterone, which helps increase your fat loss. Bodyweight, high rep, circuit, anything, just get started. It will pay off!
  • Ragtees
    Ragtees Posts: 33 Member
    Eric- that hotel gym sounds sweet, have safe travels. Was it international chest day twice since you crossed the international date line? :)

Biceps: preacher curls, curling bar (21 gun salute), dumbells
    Back: pull ups (machine assisted), Row, dumbell lift
    Cardio: 30 min jog
  • This morning was deadlifts, step-up lunges, lat pulldowns, shoulder presses and reverse crunch (which I truly hate) .... Just two more workouts left and I've completed New Rules of Lifting Break-In! This is from the guy who swore for ever that all you needed was body weight and cardio!

To make it even better, my wife, who loves Beach Body workouts, came to the gym with me. She's been researching forever and decided that heavy lifting was the solution to her tummy and thigh issues (none of us would think there's an issue, but she does). So, she's on the Nia Shanks Beautiful Badass program now. 5:30 AM, she was doing squats in the squat rack!

It's a great day to pick up heavy things, gotta say!

Yeah, the gym was sweet .... never seen anything that nice in a hotel before. Yep, pretty sure it was International Chest Day twice. Gotta say, when I flew up that was the longest day ever .... like 44 hours long!
  • AllanMisner
    Skipped my workout as I finished my work and was able to push my flight up two days. I should get home by Tuesday, late afternoon. I figure a walk then, a walk on Wednesday morning, and I'll get back in the gym for a leg day (I've been brainstorming a squat circuit).
  • mdgivens
    Heavy things lifted last night:
    - Bench Press (187.5#)
    - Dumbbell Curl (40#)
    - Squats (300#)

Unless I hit a reset, I should be back to squatting 3 plates for reps (base camp for 405) by the end of next week.

Eric - Great news about being close to completing your program, and your wife's decision to lift heavy!
    amisnercpa - A squat circuit sounds very nasty. Have fun!
  • Eric - Great news about being close to completing your program, and your wife's decision to lift heavy!
    She's sore this morning ... glutes, quads, lower back .... and happy about it because she wants to work on core and thighs and this is the first time in a year that she has felt that she was impacting them.

Yep, almost done with Break-In .... after that it is New Rules of Lifting Fat Loss I (6 weeks), Fat Loss II (6 weeks), then probably Strength I .... anyone else done NRoL? So far I really am enjoying it, but I'm a newbie so what do I know.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Off day for me today. I don't lift super heavy but do CrossFit.
  • As long as you aren't picking up a 10 lb purple dumbbell!
  • mdgivens
    - Press (142.5 lb)
    - Assisted Chin-ups (me minus ~65 lb)
    - Sumo Deadlift (315 lb)
  • Today was squats, static lunges, one arm dumbbell row, push-ups and medicine ball crunches .... one more workout left in NRoL Break-In and then it is on to NRoL Fat Loss 1.
  • mdgivens
    - Bench Press (190 lb)
    - Barbell Curls (70 lb)
    - Squats (305 lb)