DBF: 3
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    May 22, 2018
    Me: 19
    Binge: 3
    DBF: 0

I actually did ok on the trip. Unfortunately, I did find out that my mom's health is getting worse. She has her official ALS diagnosis now too, so I eventually turned to food for comfort. Now I am trying to get back into better coping mechanisims because binge eating takes over my life if I let it.

I am trying to get back into my more normal routines and make sure I spend time with my family.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    @Keto_Vampire that is a really good strategy! I did the same a few years ago and was able to stop binging for a long time before I fell back into old habits.
    @Llamapants86 so sorry to hear about your mother. I'm sending you and your family all of the positivity I have today. Try to take care of yourself.

May 2018
    Me: 22
    B:
    DBF: 182
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I everyone, new here. I don't have a diagnosed BED but considering my behavior I do seem to tick a lot of the boxes for it.

Yesterday I binged on around 6,000 cals, my biggest binge in months. I looked online for some support groups but unfortunately most of them are proana, how sad is that?

Anyways, I thought maybe MFP might be a better place to find a supportive group of people to help me figure thia out. So here I am! Hugs to everyone.

Me: 0
    The Binge: 1
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    May 23

DBF: 4
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    May 22, 2018
    Me: 19

I actually did ok on the trip. Unfortunately, I did find out that my mom's health is getting worse. She has her official ALS diagnosis now too, so I eventually turned to food for comfort. Now I am trying to get back into better coping mechanisims because binge eating takes over my life if I let it.

I am trying to get back into my more normal routines and make sure I spend time with my family.

@Llamapants86

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom....sending hugs.
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Options
    Me: 1
    Binge: 1
    DBF: 1

I managed to restrict my calories yesterday to try and offset some of the damage. I was tempted to keep restricting today. The math says that if I eat 800 cal today and tomorrow then I will have basically canceled out the binge. But I decided against it. Today I will just get back on track. I might be over cals for the week but, oh well, hopefully that will motivate me not to binge again!
  • brittdee88
    Options
    May 2018
    Me: 24
    B:
    DBF: 184
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Options
    Me: 1
    Binge: 2

Sigh.
  • Nevadaden
    Options
    Hope you’re doing better, @Hungry_Shopgirl. There are many of us in the same struggle.
  • brittdee88
    Options
    @Hungry_Shopgirl Ditto to @Nevadaden's comment! Take it a day at a time.

May 2018
    Me: 25
    B:
    DBF: 185
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Options
    Thank you @Nevadaden. @brittdee88 you're a legend! 185 DBF is amazing.

This has me pretty stressed out today. After my two binge days this week I'm starting today, without having eaten a single bite yet, already over my weekly goal. I feel defeated. Even if I have a perfect day everything I eat will count against me. And the net of this week will be a gain.

18zokj5j7ydv.png

Anyways, thank you guys for your support. I know I sound like a negative Nancy right now but being able to talk about it on here makes me feel like I'm not alone in it.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone is doing well! I've been busy having my dad stay at my home while he rehabs from his minor stroke he had. I'll definitely post next month's challenge in the next couple of days. :smile:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    May 27, 2018
    Me: 24
    DBF: 5
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Options
    Me: 2
    B: 3
  • Nevadaden
    Options
    May 28:
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thank you @Nevadaden. @brittdee88 you're a legend! 185 DBF is amazing.

This has me pretty stressed out today. After my two binge days this week I'm starting today, without having eaten a single bite yet, already over my weekly goal. I feel defeated. Even if I have a perfect day everything I eat will count against me. And the net of this week will be a gain.

18zokj5j7ydv.png

Anyways, thank you guys for your support. I know I sound like a negative Nancy right now but being able to talk about it on here makes me feel like I'm not alone in it.

@Hungry_Shopgirl

A few things that really help me are to remember:
    • that unless I ate 3500 calories OVER my maintenance calories, I didn't gain anything. Anything showing on the scale is water retention and such. So you have maybe one single day (in the past week) that qualifies for this. And that's a maybe. That means all you really did was SLOW any weight loss or hover near maintenance. In the grand scheme of life, how bad is that, really?
    • Friends are CRITICAL for a reality check when I get caught up in the details.
    • (for me) punishment should never be the response to a binge. Was it the best fuel? No. Did my body still use it? Yes.
    • GUILT is worse than any carb or calorie ever. It fuels the binge/restrict cycle. Learning to let yesterday go, no matter what it was, helps...
    • nutrition trumps any calorie or carb or fat gram. EVERY TIME. Even if I had a binge of 10,000 - 20,000 calories (probably happened at my worst, but wasn't tracking back then), the next meal I do eat must be nutritious. My next day must be nutritious and on as on plan as possible. When we try to eat less to balance the previous day's binge, we neglect nutrients our body desperately needs - which fuels hunger. And if we excessively restrict, then we're just setting ourselves up for another binge.
    • I can't undo what I've done, but my next bite/meal can be a healthier choice.
    • in a year, will you remember this binge? Will it be an event that is still a crisis? What about 5 years? In 10 years, will that day's binge calories still matter??
    • it is completely impossible to avoid all the binge triggers - and it is impossible to avoid every binge. If I keep that in mind, and I do the best I can when I can, I'm still better off. Since I can't avoid triggers (stress, tired, boredom, etc.) and I can't avoid food completely, I know that off plan eating will happen. Accepting that and minimizing the damage, rather than trying to stop what feels like an immovable force seems like a far more productive line of thinking for me, personally.
    • Protein is satiating. Fat is necessary for human bodily function. Carbs fuel brain function (though the body can convert for carbs). Food is necessary for life. So eating foods, even "bad" foods, still provides my body some fuel. Fuel should carry zero guilt. Do I always get the most expensive gasoline for my car? No. Does it still run? Yes. Do I do the best I can do with what I have? Yes.

I hope a few of my personal struggles and "things to remember" help you a bit.
  • Nevadaden
    Options
    May 29

DBF: 1
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Nevadaden

Every time you fight back, you inspire me!
  • brittdee88
    Options
    @Hungry_Shopgirl thank you! It's one day at a time for me every time. I was really close to binging earlier this week. When I can actually make it a full month without even thinking about binging, I will consider myself really in recovery.

May 2018
    Me: 29
    B:
    DBF: 189