PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    sykin wrote: »
    Great journey!

Thank you!
  • CrystalConsults
    CrystalConsults Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Paul, WOW! You are such and inspiration! So pleased to hear this way of eating is helping you in so many ways!
  • PaulChasinDreams
    Options
    Paul, WOW! You are such and inspiration! So pleased to hear this way of eating is helping you in so many ways!

Thank you very much. That means a lot to me. <3
  • xrsize4dad
    xrsize4dad Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Inspiring Paul, Great Job!

I started Keto a few weeks back and lost weight the first 2 weeks then went into a stall. I was about to try IF then saw your post. I'm still unclear on a few things especially on my macros.. Do you still hit your macro's when you're IF? I used a Keto Calculator to figure out macros but starting to wonder if it's right, I have a caloric deficit hit my % of Fat/Carb/Pro and still stalled for 2 weeks straight.
  • jjfreebird59
    jjfreebird59 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    jjfreebird59 wrote: »
    Did I see you on reddit/keto pics? You look great!

Thank you! No I've never posted any pics of myself on reddit. Maybe someone else did? Do you have a link to where you think you saw them?

I am a member of some other weight loss groups online and a private one with doctors and dieticians but I'm not aware of anyone posting my pics anywhere other than where we post regularly.

Really? Hmmmm, I could be wrong. You look familiar to me, I suppose. I do go on the Reddit/Keto and look at the before and after pics often though. It's so inspiring. Everyone looks so much younger and alive in the before and after pics. I love it! Thanks for posting your progress pics, you are doing so awesome!
  • PaulChasinDreams
    Options
    xrsize4dad wrote: »

I started Keto a few weeks back and lost weight the first 2 weeks then went into a stall. I was about to try IF then saw your post. I'm still unclear on a few things especially on my macros.. Do you still hit your macro's when you're IF? I used a Keto Calculator to figure out macros but starting to wonder if it's right, I have a caloric deficit hit my % of Fat/Carb/Pro and still stalled for 2 weeks straight.

Hi there and thank you for the kind words! Are you testing your ketones with a blood meter to ensure you are in ketosis every day? With some people it can take a bit longer to get completely keto adapted and switch your metabolism over to fat burning instead of glucose burning and there are some folks that need to take in less carbs than others to get into and stay in ketosis. That would be my first suggestion then it would be to see if you may need to also concentrate more on your caloric intake because some folks also need to get into a deeper deficit than others to start seeing constant drops in the fat. And are you weighing your food with a very accurate gram scale and not calculating by volume? This is a very common thing where people get stuck because they think they are eating less macro's and calories than they actually are.
    Everyone is different so hormones, calories, macro ratios etc can all affect the rate at which we metabolize and burn fat or store fat. There can also be cases where too much protein intake can get converted to glucose but it isn't common and the amount has to be pretty high and constant to have that affect so it's not usually a concern if being watchful with your macro's.
    Yes if you are in ketosis every day and you find you are in a stall a bit of a fast can certainly boost things. Another thing could be that you may have lost a lot of water for the first couple weeks and now your body is transitioning into getting keto adapted. Cutting a lot of carbs will release a lot of the water your body has been holding on to. Also another big thing is to ensure you are getting in adequet electrolytes every single day. Not having enough can also have an impact on fat loss and can create stalls in fat loss. I take electrolyte powder as well as ensuring I get around 3000 mg of salt a day. I prefer the Himalayan Pink salt myself. I find it less strong and easier to supplement.

For my macro's it is a bit custom to myself as I've been experimenting a lot with that over the 6 and a bit months so far. I don't do the exact same macros every day. 4 out of the 7 days a week I eat very little carbs at around 5%, one of the days I do around 7% and the other two days I am up around 10% of my macros. But I don't do any of the higher carb days in a row. I break them up with lower carb days. Playing around with my macros while testing ketones every day I found this keeps me satiated the best while still keeping me in ketosis. But just cause it works for me doesn't work for everyone. I really suggest trying to figure out what those macro numbers are that will work best for you while keeping you in ketosis. At the different macro %'s you will probably find your carb grams will fall somewhere's between 10 to 50 grams per day while still keeping you in ketosis. When I do treat myself to the couple days of higher % carbs I will take those in the way of treats of a little bit of homemade ice cream, little bit of fruit, or little bit of rice, potato, or bread. But saying that it took me awhile to figure out what I could get away with while still staying in ketosis and dropping the weight. If you are anal about weighing every single gram of food you eat and tracking everything perfectly then you will start to see a pattern of what macro's keeps you in ketosis all the time and where that line is that bumps you out of ketosis. But as mentioned that can only be figured out if you religiously weight your food and test your ketones with a blood monitor.
  • PaulChasinDreams
    Options
    jjfreebird59 wrote: »
    Really? Hmmmm, I could be wrong. You look familiar to me, I suppose. I do go on the Reddit/Keto and look at the before and after pics often though. It's so inspiring. Everyone looks so much younger and alive in the before and after pics. I love it! Thanks for posting your progress pics, you are doing so awesome!
    Thank you. My pleasure sharing the info and pics. It's very nice to hear when it inspires others. I am often going on those sections of the forums to look at peoples progress pictures. I get a lot of my motivation and inspiration from so many others too. :smile:
  • xrsize4dad
    Options
    xrsize4dad wrote: »

Hi there and thank you for the kind words! Are you testing your ketones with a blood meter to ensure you are in ketosis every day? With some people it can take a bit longer to get completely keto adapted and switch your metabolism over to fat burning instead of glucose burning and there are some folks that need to take in less carbs than others to get into and stay in ketosis. That would be my first suggestion then it would be to see if you may need to also concentrate more on your caloric intake because some folks also need to get into a deeper deficit than others to start seeing constant drops in the fat. And are you weighing your food with a very accurate gram scale and not calculating by volume? This is a very common thing where people get stuck because they think they are eating less macro's and calories than they actually are.
    Everyone is different so hormones, calories, macro ratios etc can all affect the rate at which we metabolize and burn fat or store fat. There can also be cases where too much protein intake can get converted to glucose but it isn't common and the amount has to be pretty high and constant to have that affect so it's not usually a concern if being watchful with your macro's.
    Yes if you are in ketosis every day and you find you are in a stall a bit of a fast can certainly boost things. Another thing could be that you may have lost a lot of water for the first couple weeks and now your body is transitioning into getting keto adapted. Cutting a lot of carbs will release a lot of the water your body has been holding on to. Also another big thing is to ensure you are getting in adequet electrolytes every single day. Not having enough can also have an impact on fat loss and can create stalls in fat loss. I take electrolyte powder as well as ensuring I get around 3000 mg of salt a day. I prefer the Himalayan Pink salt myself. I find it less strong and easier to supplement.

For my macro's it is a bit custom to myself as I've been experimenting a lot with that over the 6 and a bit months so far. I don't do the exact same macros every day. 4 out of the 7 days a week I eat very little carbs at around 5%, one of the days I do around 7% and the other two days I am up around 10% of my macros. But I don't do any of the higher carb days in a row. I break them up with lower carb days. Playing around with my macros while testing ketones every day I found this keeps me satiated the best while still keeping me in ketosis. But just cause it works for me doesn't work for everyone. I really suggest trying to figure out what those macro numbers are that will work best for you while keeping you in ketosis. At the different macro %'s you will probably find your carb grams will fall somewhere's between 10 to 50 grams per day while still keeping you in ketosis. When I do treat myself to the couple days of higher % carbs I will take those in the way of treats of a little bit of homemade ice cream, little bit of fruit, or little bit of rice, potato, or bread. But saying that it took me awhile to figure out what I could get away with while still staying in ketosis and dropping the weight. If you are anal about weighing every single gram of food you eat and tracking everything perfectly then you will start to see a pattern of what macro's keeps you in ketosis all the time and where that line is that bumps you out of ketosis. But as mentioned that can only be figured out if you religiously weight your food and test your ketones with a blood monitor.

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for the info. Yes, one of the things I've invested in was a good scale to weigh my food but I think that I need to get the blood meter as I've not been testing to see if I'm in ketosis. Likewise I'm not sure that I'm getting enough electrolytes.. I actually have been keeping my carb's to less than 5% ( 20g or less).

Thanks for the help!
  • PaulChasinDreams
    Options
    No problem @xrsize4dad my pleasure :smile:
  • xrsize4dad
    Options
    amazing!
  • KowboyKraka
    KowboyKraka Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great Job Paul. I am on my journey as well. Starting weight of 260 June 1st and down to 227.5 this morning Aug 14. I am 6'2" so I would probably not look great under 200# but I do plan on getting around 210#. Keep up the great work and I hope you reach that 100# mark soon.
  • PaulChasinDreams
    Options
    Right on @KowboyKraka ! That's awesome you are dropping lot's of weight. Thank you for the kind words and same to you. Great to see others sharing their journeys here. :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Great Job Paul. I am on my journey as well. Starting weight of 260 June 1st and down to 227.5 this morning Aug 14. I am 6'2" so I would probably not look great under 200# but I do plan on getting around 210#. Keep up the great work and I hope you reach that 100# mark soon.

6'2" here and I started at 208 on 7/10/18 (My highest was 228) and am now at 194. I seem to do best at 185. I got down to 173 once and people started asking if I was well. I have a little beer gut left to eliminate.
  • KowboyKraka
    KowboyKraka Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    6'2" here and I started at 208 on 7/10/18 (My highest was 228) and am now at 194. I seem to do best at 185. I got down to 173 once and people started asking if I was well. I have a little beer gut left to eliminate.

I agree, with the low weight. My lowest was 170 when I was about 23 and people questioned me on my health. I just wasn't eating a whole lot at that time in my life. Probably the lowest healthiest weight I was around 185. I was running 6 miles a day and only eating one meal a day. Was drinking about 1.5 gals of water a day as well. Once I get to 210, I will see how I look and feel and go from there.

224.3 this morning.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »

I agree, with the low weight. My lowest was 170 when I was about 23 and people questioned me on my health. I just wasn't eating a whole lot at that time in my life. Probably the lowest healthiest weight I was around 185. I was running 6 miles a day and only eating one meal a day. Was drinking about 1.5 gals of water a day as well. Once I get to 210, I will see how I look and feel and go from there.

224.3 this morning.

It's funny, My original goal was 210 but I was having success and wanted to be gut free. When that happened I got a bit carried away and wanted a cushion. I was running 30+ miles a week, going to the gym three times a week and doing planks for 15 minutes daily.
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Paul, you look great! Congratulations on your progress so far! My husband and I switched to keto last fall for essentially the same reasons. His blood tests came back in October saying he was on the very bottom rung of being diabetic. After only three months for him, his triglycerides were way down. He has now lost over 35 pounds and the belly is disappearing. I don’t think either of us has been as strict with ourselves as we need to be but we are getting there. His A1C went down to 5.5 in just three months puttinghim back in the non diabetic range which is the most important thing for us. Keep it up! You are worth this effort!
  • PaulChasinDreams
    Options
    @1Nana2many That is awesome news!!! Thank you very much for sharing you story here. Great to hear other success stories with health markers getting so much better. <3
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing and truly inspiring. I started this journey 3 months ago myself after being diagnosed at Type 2 Diabetic. Seeing this is helpful and reinforces my own resolve.