Introduce Yourself!

Options
AnnofB
AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
I thought it might be fun for old and new members to share how we found out about Leslie Sansone and a little bit (or a lot), about ourselves.

Back in the 80's, I was once again on a diet. While at a bookstore, I discovered the magazine Cooking Light. In the back in ad section was an ad for Collage Video. I wrote them and received a catalogue. I ordered Basic Stepping With Walk Aerobics by Leslie. I've been a Leslie fan ever since. I lost 25 lbs using that workout and a strength workout made by someone else, and watching what I ate. But... life intervened in the form of overtime at work and I stopped working out, stopped counting calories and the weight came back.

Multiply the above several times and that's my weight loss story.

But, in 2012, I found MFP. I had joined Weight Watchers many, many times, lost weight, stopped going and gained it all back. But for some reason, MFP along with working out at home with Leslie and a few other instructors made the difference. That and the support of friends here on MFP. I met my goal in 2012 and have been maintaining since. My highest weight was 183. My goal, 125 lbs. At the moment I'm up, by 2.8 lbs, so it's time to cut calories.

About me: I'm in my 60's, married, no kids, retired. I love food but am a terrible cook. Gardening is something I really enjoy. I grow tomatoes, cucumbers and pumpkins. We have a parrot, an African Grey that is 24 years old. She's a handful, but a lot of fun too. She loves to eat too, ha-ha. She will eat anything from pizza to cantaloupe.

Replies

• Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    What Fun!

MFP: I signed up for MFP back in 2011 or 2012 maybe. After using "Lose It" in 2008/9 to drop weight for my wedding the weight came back so I decided to try MFP. Been here ever since just not always on a consistent basis. I probably login onto MFP to check in here then log my actual food.

Leslie: About 3 years ago I had a planned trip to FL with friends to go to Universal Studios. Knowing there would be lots of walking and pictures, I decided to look up some home workout solutions instead of just going to the YMCA. Happened across the Walk at Home page on YouTube and watched 1 video and figured that I could do that and build up to longer videos. Leslie's videos led me to Jessica Smith and Jenny Ford. Eventually, I started to finder her DVD's at the library and requesting DVDs.

About me: I look like your typical Irish looking girl. Light skinned, freckles everywhere, red hair and a nice Irish name of Deidre. All great with the exception I'm a Dutch, French, German mix. :) I'm hoping to lose 40 pounds by my 40th birthday in May 2019. I'm in Grand Rapids Michigan with my Husband and his son who we've raised for the last 13 years. My DH and I run our own business so money is always tight. I'm a comfort eater. Stress packs the pounds on me and I've been pretty stressed the last several years.
  • AnnofB
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Mary.
    I think I joined MFP 2014. After 2 back surgeries with spinal fusion (in 2003 & 2008) I spent most days in a recliner eating and watching tv. Then my grandson was born and while he was an infant I would just rock him while still sitting in my recliner. In 2014 I had a heart attack, yes while still sitting in my recliner and surprisingly survived. My doctor told me to lose weight and start walking a mile every day. I told him I could barely walk to the mailbox and he told me to Google Leslie Sansone WAH. I was still sitting in my recliner when I found her on YouTube. I munched on chips while watching my first video. I had no desire to try it let alone get up. There was a gentleman in the back row named Vance who was a big guy able to keep up with the women. He is the reason I tried WAH...I figured if he could do it, I sure could. I was hooked and on my way to a healthy lifestyle. I originally lost 24 pounds and was down to 112 lbs. I was too skinny and looked unhealthy. I decided to put back on 5 lbs and I was happy there. At the moment I am weighing about 122. I can live with that.

I could not have lost weight and stayed on course without the support from the MFP community. This group has inspired me and motivated me. I am healthier than I have ever been. I do have chronic pain as a result of my back surgeries. I have learned to manage my pain with exercise and walking. As long as I am in motion I am doing well. I took up golf 4 years ago and I am loving it. The more I golf the happier I am.

I got rid of the recliner and I keep my laptop on my kitchen counter. This way I am on my feet and moving. I try and sit as little as possible.

Enough about me....

Walk Strong friends.

Mary,

Loved reading this. What a great testimony to how effective the walks are. But it also shows no matter what health crisis a person is facing, there is still hope. It takes getting up and doing something, and keeping on doing it. You did it! And now it's second nature, getting in your exercise. That's the way we all ought to roll. I hate you have chronic pain. It's wonderful that you have found ways to fight it and they just happen to be keeping you healthy while you do them. It's a win-win for you.

PS I admire Vance too. I hope where ever he is, he's in good health and loving life.
  • AnnofB
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Deeder522 wrote: »
    What Fun!

MFP: I signed up for MFP back in 2011 or 2012 maybe. After using "Lose It" in 2008/9 to drop weight for my wedding the weight came back so I decided to try MFP. Been here ever since just not always on a consistent basis. I probably login onto MFP to check in here then log my actual food.

Leslie: About 3 years ago I had a planned trip to FL with friends to go to Universal Studios. Knowing there would be lots of walking and pictures, I decided to look up some home workout solutions instead of just going to the YMCA. Happened across the Walk at Home page on YouTube and watched 1 video and figured that I could do that and build up to longer videos. Leslie's videos led me to Jessica Smith and Jenny Ford. Eventually, I started to finder her DVD's at the library and requesting DVDs.

About me: I look like your typical Irish looking girl. Light skinned, freckles everywhere, red hair and a nice Irish name of Deidre. All great with the exception I'm a Dutch, French, German mix. :) I'm hoping to lose 40 pounds by my 40th birthday in May 2019. I'm in Grand Rapids Michigan with my Husband and his son who we've raised for the last 13 years. My DH and I run our own business so money is always tight. I'm a comfort eater. Stress packs the pounds on me and I've been pretty stressed the last several years.

Deidre is a beautiful name. You do have those "smiling Irish eyes", you know. :)

Stress is a killer in so many ways. I know you know by now how great walking is at reducing stress. But, when you have a busy life, it's hard to fit it into your day. I love my comfort food too. I have gone back and forth from removing all it from my kitchen to trying to just eat a small portion of it and be happy with that. At different times, each of these tactics have worked. Though I will say at times, just knowing something I love is in the kitchen often results in a binge. :/

The good thing is you have a goal and you want to accomplish it in a certain time frame. And, your goal is doable. Go for it! We will cheer you on. You CAN do this.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Brenda,
    How wonderful that you will retire in the mountains. Sigh....

I am a cat lover too. I have Tyler resting his chin on my wrist as I type this.

What an incredible weight loss journey.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mary. Honestly, I have no idea how to live without cats. An electronic device always puts a cat on notice that it is "attention time for the cat!" :laugh: We had three, but lost one to renal failure and one to diabetes, which I did not even know carnivores could develop! We gave him insulin twice a day for 4 years. Once I retire and we move, I am getting at least one more and maybe two. :bigsmile:

We had to really think about moving to the mountains because it is very remote and as we get older, it will be farther from medical facilities and the VA. But, we decided that we will worry about that when the time comes and until then, live some of the best years of our life in a place we love. The fish are no doubt trembling with fear that my husband will be there full-time! :laugh:

I am totally amazed at your story! I cannot imagine how scared you were to have a heart attack right in your chair! I own the video with Vance it in and I often wonder what happened to him.
  • AnnofB
    Options
    helloVegas wrote: »
    I have gained and lost weight so much I am the fattest expert on fitness.

I never did this walk at home thing, to be honest thought it was lame. Well I got home from work today knowing I was not going to do anything but sit on the couch. Again. I went to youtube and found 1 mile happy walk. I did most of it, not at the intensity she did it, but I did it. Did I mention I did it. Sweating like a beast but I did it. If you aren't sure - I did it.

SO here I am.

You made me lol several times. :)

You are for sure facing some health challenges. The fact that you are searching for what's going to work is a good portion of the battle won already.

I like Leslie but have to agree at times she can be annoying Have you seen any of Jessica Smith's walking workouts? Lot's of variety in them. (It amazes me how she comes up with so many variations on marching, kicks, side steps, and knee lifts. ) Lot's of her workouts are on youtube - type in jessicasmithtv.
  • AnnofB
    Options
    pnash4508, nope, you are NOT alone! Lot's to love about Leslie. Glad you joined us.
  • helloVegas
    helloVegas Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    AnnofB wrote: »
    helloVegas wrote: »
    I have gained and lost weight so much I am the fattest expert on fitness.

I never did this walk at home thing, to be honest thought it was lame. Well I got home from work today knowing I was not going to do anything but sit on the couch. Again. I went to youtube and found 1 mile happy walk. I did most of it, not at the intensity she did it, but I did it. Did I mention I did it. Sweating like a beast but I did it. If you aren't sure - I did it.

SO here I am.

You made me lol several times. :)

You are for sure facing some health challenges. The fact that you are searching for what's going to work is a good portion of the battle won already.

I like Leslie but have to agree at times she can be annoying Have you seen any of Jessica Smith's walking workouts? Lot's of variety in them. (It amazes me how she comes up with so many variations on marching, kicks, side steps, and knee lifts. ) Lot's of her workouts are on youtube - type in jessicasmithtv.

Thanks for the tip! I've done 3 Leslie YouTube videos and she grates on my nerves. The pitch of the voice, that laugh, both combined with the fact that she rarely shuts up. I know some talking is needed obviously but wow. Will look into Jessica Smith!
  • shawnaes91
    shawnaes91 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this group!

MFP: I want to say I joined MFP around 2013 or 2014. At that time I was only slightly overweight. You could say I was just chubby. I wanted to lose weight just for myself. I did lose about 15 pounds and then I got pregnant with my son. I had a rough high risk pregnancy involving gestational diabetes. I gained about 50 pounds in addition to already having been over weight. Had my son and I killed myself just about working out twice a day everyday and counting calories. I got down to 138 pounds in 9 months. I was sleep deprived and miserable and gave up.

Leslie Sansone: Fast forward to now. I have degenerating discs in my lower lumbar from a car accident. I'm only 27 and even sitting incorrectly leaves me in pain. My chiropractor suggested low impact exercise. Well I can't swim and I don't want to pay for a gym just for a treadmill. Did some googling and found out about Leslie's videos. I mostly watch them off youtube because my toddler always scratches my dvds.

Me: SAHM to a 11 year old and almost 4 year old. I love older horror movies and reading. No real hobbies other than Netflix binge watching since my kids keep me busy with their after school activities and therapies.
  • AnnofB
    edited November 2018
    Options
    shawnaes91,
    Glad you joined us.
    It's always interesting to read how people found out about Leslie. I don't care for going to the gym either. You are competing with others to get to the equipment and that ends up in standing around waiting. Such a waste of time. Plus I know I would use every excuse for not going. With youtube and DVD's, there are no excuses. Leslie's workouts are safe, fun and effective. It's good to hear a chiropractor recommending them.
    Hang in there. Carve out some time for yourself. It's hard, but you are worth the effort. :)
  • shawnaes91
    shawnaes91 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    shawnaes91,
    Glad you joined us.
    It's always interesting to read how people found out about Leslie. I don't care for going to the gym either. You are competing with others to get to the equipment and that ends up in standing around waiting. Such a waste of time. Plus I know I would use every excuse for not going. With youtube and DVD's, there are no excuses. Leslie's workouts are safe, fun and effective. It's good to hear a chiropractor recommending them.
    Hang in there. Carve out some time for yourself. It's hard, but you are worth the effort. :)

Yeah I figure even if I don't do an entire 5k video in one viewing and break it up through the day it stilk counts.
    I even ordered my mother one of her dvds and some portion control containers to help with her diabetes. She lost 20 pounds so far!
  • AnnofB
    Options
    shawnaes91,
    It does still count. Congrat's to you Mom! 20 pounds down, that's fantastic!
  • FascinatingFascinator
    Options
    Hi hi y'all can call me Fas :) I'm 28, female.
    I've always been fat. Name a diet, I've probably done it. Surprise, surprise none of them stuck and I've been in that lovely cycle of losing & gaining ever sincr elementary school.
    Back in '17 my brother, SIL, & I lost weight together & I lost about 80 lbs, but drama and a move caused me to regain most of that.
    I first heard about Leslie back when I was in elementary school, I think? My mom had her tapes & she encouraged me to do them alongside with her. Every once in a blue moon throughout the years since then I've added them to my weight loss plan.
  • AnnofB
    Options
    Hello Fas! Glad you joined us. Reading your comments, I feel like I'm reading my diary. I think I may have lost 1000 lbs in my life time. Have you ever tried the grapefruit diet or the vinegar and honey diet? I hope not, for your taste-buds sake, ha-ha. What finally got me to goal was my MFP buds and Leslie. Hang in there and believe that you can do it-you DID do it with that fantastic 80 lb loss! Just start again, and don't look back, stay focused on one day at a time. You will succeed.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I thought it might be fun for old and new members to share how we found out about Leslie Sansone and a little bit (or a lot), about ourselves.

Back in the 80's, I was once again on a diet. While at a bookstore, I discovered the magazine Cooking Light. In the back in ad section was an ad for Collage Video. I wrote them and received a catalogue. I ordered Basic Stepping With Walk Aerobics by Leslie. I've been a Leslie fan ever since. I lost 25 lbs using that workout and a strength workout made by someone else, and watching what I ate. But... life intervened in the form of overtime at work and I stopped working out, stopped counting calories and the weight came back.

But, in 2012, I found MFP. I had joined Weight Watchers many, many times, lost weight, stopped going and gained it all back. But for some reason, MFP along with working out at home with Leslie and a few other instructors made the difference. That and the support of friends here on MFP. I met my goal in 2012 and have been maintaining since. My highest weight was 183. My goal, 125 lbs. At the moment I'm up, by 2.8 lbs, so it's time to cut calories.

About me: I'm in my 60's, married, no kids, retired. I love food but am a terrible cook. Gardening is something I really enjoy. I grow tomatoes, cucumbers and pumpkins. We have a parrot, an African Grey that is 24 years old. She's a handful, but a lot of fun too. She loves to eat too, ha-ha. She will eat anything from pizza to cantaloupe.

I'm back...used to do her walking workouts 10 years ago. I just started again..subscribed to her videos. Thanks for the motivation.
  • AnnofB
    Options

I'm back...used to do her walking workouts 10 years ago. I just started again..subscribed to her videos. Thanks for the motivation.

Hi goldengirl111. Glad you are "back in the fold" with Leslie. :) And very glad if what I wrote was motivating. Thank you.