TEAM: Gutbusters (October)

Options

Replies

• eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    grebber1 wrote: »
    I'll have to look back and see what's going on. I've pretty much been eating the same thing this whole time. it's the water consumption that's low. But I will have to look at some of my food choices these last few weeks and see what's going on there. Even though I'm under 4 calories I don't know exactly what's in the stuff I have been eating so I will have to look back and see if there's something there that is triggering hunger

Not sure if your exercise routine has changed at all, but I learned how much it affects my hunger when I had a heel injury.

Cardio is a huge appetite suppressant. I switched to strength training due to the injury for a week and was starving all the time.

If you've reduced cardio at all, that could be an answer.

@LesIckaBod 's advice about macros--specifically making sure you are getting enough protein and fat--is also great advice.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Oct 17
    Exercise: Yes
    Calories: Yes, under
    Tracked: Yes

Day 3 of the new and improved plan went well. Still have a clean kitchen and still eating at home; still consuming less coffee and sneaky milk calories; still under the new calorie target. Now to repeat this tomorrow!
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    Happy Wednesday Weigh-In for:

@inshapeCK - you're in my thoughts. How was your dad's angiogram? (got your weigh-in posted already)

@LesIckaBod

Thanks for asking about my dad.

Answers To Prayers
    -everything went as smoothly as possible and they didn't find a serious problem
    -doesn't need bypass surgery
    -didn't need any stents
    -didn't need to stay overnight at the hospital
    -seems to be recovering as well as can be expected
    -shouldn't need to cancel his 75th birthday party for this Saturday

Praise
    -someone who works at the hospital, who is in our Bible Study Group, came to see my dad before the test
    -Dad was in and out of the test in just under an hour so less time for me waiting and wondering how he is and what they found

A Smile From Heaven
    -nurse who took Dad into the angiogram had the same name as my mom who passed away last year and she said that he looked familiar to her

Results
    -doctor didn't go over them with us (only told me while walking me to see dad that he didn't get stents put in & he wouldn't have to stay overnight & he would have to look at his chart before he could tell me anything else)
    -just sent home with a diagram of the arteries which showed blockage in 1 spot at 20% and 3 other spots at 30% and notes in chicken scratch that I can barely read and the doctor never came back to talk to us about the results

Next Steps and Prayer Requests
    -hoping and praying that we will be able to see the cardiologist who referred us to this test soon to go over the results and to discuss next steps & to discuss that else might have caused syncope/losing consciousness episode and to discuss balanced plaque scenario he mentioned before he sent him for the test (e.g., 90% blockage in an artery is bad & needs a stent but if have 30% blockage in 3 arteries that might also have caused his heart to stop or pause therefore leading him to pass out)
    -hoping we can get to the bottom of what caused the syncope episode (e.g., heart paused or stopped, low blood pressure, heart medication he's on)
    -praying that he doesn't have get any symptoms that require us to call 911 or go to ER (e.g., bleeding, bulge)
    -still dealing with my endometriosis
    -I need time and energy to balance looking after my dad and planning the rest of the 75th party as I only have 2 days left!

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    October 17
    Exercise: yard work all day
    Calories: a little over
    Tracked: yes, even though I didn't want to because I knew I was over.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    October 17
    Exercise: yard work all day
    Calories: a little over
    Tracked: yes, even though I didn't want to because I knew I was over.

I feel you, @Rocknut53. I'm up late working, and I'm 50 calories under my target. I feel like morale would improve greatly in the short term if I only had a little more food while I'm working, but I don't want to have that feeling afterward, that doesn't want to report the extra calories and doesn't want to live with the bump in weight tomorrow morning.

Must focus!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    All the best inshapeck . Thanks for updates so I know what to pray for. Lesickabod, I think you are right, my morning would be better with protein-love eggs so I will eat that. Found a new music group to take my toddlers too, which I and they loved.
  • eevang
    Options
    Tonight, I'm feeling introspective. Tonight I realized I'm within 10 pounds of my "required" goal weight (a normal, healthy BMI). That's the goal I absolutely wanted to achieve no matter what when I started this journey.

I started at 221 and am at 155.6. When I started this journey, I liked to imagine dropping exactly 100 pounds and getting to 121 (still in the healthy range but on the low end). But that number seems so arbitrary now...what if I'm 135 and toned? Would I be happy with that? I like to think so. Which begs the question...will I remain motivated to get to 121? Do I want to get to 121? Should I push for 121 if I'm healthy and confident at 135? Or do I want to focus on developing fitness and strength at the gym once I hit...say...the middle of the healthy range?

It is so crazy that maintenance could be so close. When do I start to transition? How do I transition?

Any recommendations/suggestions? How do I know when to stop? (not worried about getting too thin btw...I would keep an eye on the healthy range of BMI)

It's hard to believe "healthy" is so close. I've been overweight/obese nearly half my life. And before I was overweight...as an insecure teen...I felt overweight.

I've become so mentally strong about "losing". I know to trust in the process, to look over my habits and patterns, to remain positive.

But maintenance? That's so foreign to me. Never in my life have I done maintenance. I've either been gaining (mostly) or losing (rarely until this year). Not once before have I looked at my body and thought, "Cool. I like it. I feel healthy and strong here. I'm good and just need to stay here." I've felt confident lately, but knowing I wanted to be in the healthy range has kept me motivated for more loss.

@craigo3154 has prompted some questions about maintenance before, and I thought about it...but this is really hitting me right now.

It's been awhile since it's been asked, and since it's on my mind, and we have some new faces...

QUESTION FOR ALL:
    What's your maintenance plan? How will you know when you're "good" with where you are? Will a number on the scale tell you? Or something else?

@craigo3154 If you have the chance, I'd love to hear about how you decided to transition to maintenance. Specifically, when you realized that you were at a place where it was time for maintenance rather than loss. If you've told the story before, I've forgotten it and could use some guidance now.
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Name: grebber1
    Week 3
    Last week: 332.6
    This week: 330.6
    Hey, for a rough week I'll take a 2 pound loss. Kind of surprised I even lost.
  • grebber1
    Options
    @eevang..
    I never thought about how exercise wood react to the way I eat. I have not been as active these last few weeks as I was before. I do a lot of cardio which like you said was would suppress my appetite. But I haven't been walking much lately. Just doing my scheduled rides on my bike. This may be contributing to why i was always hungry.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    @inshapeCK So glad to hear that your dad's angiogram was smooth and it sounds like things were not as bad as they could have been. I hope you're able to follow up with the DR to better understand the results and everything that they entail.

Enjoy the birthday party, and try not to stress over it. You and your family have just gone through a very worrisome time, and I'm sure you don't feel you're out of the woods yet. Let yourself enjoy the moments you have together, rather than worrying over the party planning. Share stories, share food, share the love. My recommendation: keep the party arrangements themselves simple, and just be exuberant in fully enjoying your time all together.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    eevang wrote: »

QUESTION FOR ALL:
    What's your maintenance plan? How will you know when you're "good" with where you are? Will a number on the scale tell you? Or something else?

@eevang I love these meaty introspective posts! I feel like I unload a lot in this group too sometimes, and I'm happy to see that other people do, too!

So, for your question, I arbitrarily decided that I wanted to achieve 23% body fat. And the only reason is because I have access to an InBody scale and it makes recommendations based on a target of 23% body fat for women, and since that's right in the middle of the "fit" body fat range for women, I figured I would try to get there. I'll go back for another weigh-in soon, but I think I'm about 33% body fat right now, yet only 2 lbs from "healthy BMI".

I don't really care about the scale numbers, but I do know that ultimately I want my body to have minimal visceral fat, as measured by InBody scale and waist circumference, and upper body strength commiserate with my lower body strength, as measured by InBody and my ability to perform standard pushups or (maybe? someday?) a pull-up.

When I reach that point, I think I'll be in maintenance in the sense that my goal will not be losing body fat any more, but I could see some gaining for additional muscle. I'm a woman, and I'm hitting middle age ( :s ) so I need all the muscular and bone strength I can get to sustain a healthy active life moving ahead.

• LesIckaBod
    Options
    Happy Thursday!! It's Weigh-In Day for:

@cjscoey - how are you doing?
    @Colleen790 - so glad to hear your mother's surgery went well!
    @Grebber1 - You're down 10 lbs for the month. Enjoy your 4-wheeling vacation, and come back ready to kick A!

• eevang
    Options

QUESTION FOR ALL:

@eevang I love these meaty introspective posts! I feel like I unload a lot in this group too sometimes, and I'm happy to see that other people do, too!

So, for your question, I arbitrarily decided that I wanted to achieve 23% body fat. And the only reason is because I have access to an InBody scale and it makes recommendations based on a target of 23% body fat for women, and since that's right in the middle of the "fit" body fat range for women, I figured I would try to get there. I'll go back for another weigh-in soon, but I think I'm about 33% body fat right now, yet only 2 lbs from "healthy BMI".

I don't really care about the scale numbers, but I do know that ultimately I want my body to have minimal visceral fat, as measured by InBody scale and waist circumference, and upper body strength commiserate with my lower body strength, as measured by InBody and my ability to perform standard pushups or (maybe? someday?) a pull-up.

When I reach that point, I think I'll be in maintenance in the sense that my goal will not be losing body fat any more, but I could see some gaining for additional muscle. I'm a woman, and I'm hitting middle age ( :s ) so I need all the muscular and bone strength I can get to sustain a healthy active life moving ahead.

I'm loving the fitness goals (standard push ups & pull up). I was the kid in gym who couldn't do two pull ups so that's a really great goal for me to add!

I think I'm just sort of shocked I could be at goal weight in a handful of months. I sort of felt like I'd be overweight forever for a long time there. And while I'm determined and have envisioned success...it's odd to think it might be within reach. "Overweight" was a huge part of my identity for a long time.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    I'm loving the fitness goals (standard push ups & pull up). I was the kid in gym who couldn't do two pull ups so that's a really great goal for me to add!

I think I'm just sort of shocked I could be at goal weight in a handful of months. I sort of felt like I'd be overweight forever for a long time there. And while I'm determined and have envisioned success...it's odd to think it might be within reach. "Overweight" was a huge part of my identity for a long time.

Yeah, I was the kid who could never do one pull-up. I used to be able to do the monkey bars, and honestly, I think maybe that's my initial goal for upper-body strength. Crazy to be struggling to do something little kids do so easily.

Thinking in terms of body fat % has been eye-opening for me. By BMI, I'm almost "normal". By body fat %, if I'm over 30%, then I'm obese?! That feels crazy to me. People are being so sweet and telling me I look great now, which is nice, but I'm not losing weight for my looks (won't turn down the improved appearance though), I'm losing weight to be reduce my risk of health-related chronic disease. If I'm still technically obese, I can't stop, regardless of how I look or what the scale says.

"Overweight" has been part of my identity, too, but I'm guessing you have some other personality traits that are also part of your identity and can easily be reconfigured to account for your new body shape. You're a teacher, and you're headed to law school, so I'm guessing "successful", "persistent", "determined" are all part of your identity. Viewed that way, being "overweight" was an anomaly. Losing weight means your outward aspect matches those inward traits you have in other parts of your life.

• grebber1
    Options

Yeah, I was the kid who could never do one pull-up. I used to be able to do the monkey bars, and honestly, I think maybe that's my initial goal for upper-body strength. Crazy to be struggling to do something little kids do so easily.

Thinking in terms of body fat % has been eye-opening for me. By BMI, I'm almost "normal". By body fat %, if I'm over 30%, then I'm obese?! That feels crazy to me. People are being so sweet and telling me I look great now, which is nice, but I'm not losing weight for my looks (won't turn down the improved appearance though), I'm losing weight to be reduce my risk of health-related chronic disease. If I'm still technically obese, I can't stop, regardless of how I look or what the scale says.

"Overweight" has been part of my identity, too, but I'm guessing you have some other personality traits that are also part of your identity and can easily be reconfigured to account for your new body shape. You're a teacher, and you're headed to law school, so I'm guessing "successful", "persistent", "determined" are all part of your identity. Viewed that way, being "overweight" was an anomaly. Losing weight means your outward aspect matches those inward traits you have in other parts of your life.

I have NEVER made it to the second monkey bar :(
    I will tho. Also never been able to do a pull up. 2 goals for me
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    Oct 18
    Exercise: Yes
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: over new goal by 98, under previous goal by 30

Felt the need for a little more fat at dinner, so I added extra guacamole to my meal. The body and spirit both feel better with extra guac.

Day 4 of revised plan to get back on track: ate at home, still clutter-free, had less coffee, tracked better, but was a little over my lowered calorie target. Not bad. I give myself at least a B.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    Friday Week 3 Weighers:

I'm going to be busy tomorrow, so I'm sending your reminder tonight!

@Rocknut53 - must be getting pretty chilly on those hikes these days!

And we have a few Friday weighers I haven't seen much of lately. How are you all doing?
    @doingitforcckandi
    @fe452436
    @KillaLindzilla
  • eevang
    Options

Thanks for this. Really brought me up on a tough day. ❤️
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    October 18
    Exercise: yard work all day again, making hay while the sun shines, so to speak.
    Calories: no
    Tracked: yes
This discussion has been closed.