NSVs - share your success 😊

Options
zanyterp
zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
I know there is the daily check-in for general chat & help, but I thought it would be fun to have one dedicated for only the positive (and/or things to learn).

For me, one recently was when my boss & I were in the same place for the first time in several months. He asked if I had lost weight again; I did confirm yes but it’s more that I’m losing fat. Went through keto description and he was shocked at the emphasis on fat :)

Replies

• gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I had to buy ring guards because my wedding rings went flying off my hands one night-Thankfully I was at home and found them easily!
    I had to put extra holes in a favorite pair of shoes that have straps because they were too loose! I never thought your feet could lose weight.

I'm looking to buy a ring guard today. Mine hasn't flown off yet but I'm worried that it could.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    qweck3 wrote: »
    Dumped all my pills in the garbage can after the doctor took me off of them. Now I have to figure out about when to buy clothes as I'm in the la la land area of being between an XLT and LT size.

Second hand shops are helpful for those inbetween sizes.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo Great tip! Thank you. It's getting really bad with my clothes as everything is falling off of me but not yet in maintenance mode to spend on new clothes so I may give that a try to hold me over.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @nvmomketo Great tip! Thank you. It's getting really bad with my clothes as everything is falling off of me but not yet in maintenance mode to spend on new clothes so I may give that a try to hold me over.

It’s great advice - I’ve been raiding the charity shops. Found some things I’ve since shrunk out of (one jumper I didn’t even get to wear 🙄) and bought a few coats in the smallest size I could (without looking ridiculous) so I can wear them with jumpers under them once I lose some more. I also bought some snow pants which have tightening straps on the side even thought they fit me nicely now they won’t be sliding down my bum in a few months :-)
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm able to wear my old claddagh ring on my right hand again... I bought it in 2006 when I was in Galway, and wore it nonstop for many years. It's just a sterling silver ring that cost 15 euro, but it's from one of the oldest claddagh shops, and the details are hand carved. When I was at my higher weights, it would only fit on my left hand whenever my fingers weren't swollen (my left fingers are slightly smaller than my right ones). It's only happened in the past week, but it's back on my right ring finger, and it feels really good having it there again.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

It’s great advice - I’ve been raiding the charity shops. Found some things I’ve since shrunk out of (one jumper I didn’t even get to wear 🙄) and bought a few coats in the smallest size I could (without looking ridiculous) so I can wear them with jumpers under them once I lose some more. I also bought some snow pants which have tightening straps on the side even thought they fit me nicely now they won’t be sliding down my bum in a few months :-)

I use it for the other direction too... for my kids. I have teens and new brand labels are ridiculously priced, but 2nd hand it is very doable. Plus they all grew 2-5 inches this past year, and there is no sign of stopping yet.

... except feet. I'm hopeful that my 13-year-old's size 12 feet will not get any bigger.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I've had many NSV's with keto. The latest for me is less pain. My arthritis acts up with carbs, even with 30g of carbs, so I keep it pretty close to zero lately.

The other is how much easier maintenance is. I find that maintenance is harder than losing. I've lost before. It's keeping it off that is hard. When I eat really low carb I don't need to count calories but I don't eat too much either. It feels sustainable, which is good because I hope to have another 40 years of maintenance. ;)
  • zanyterp
    Options
    @nvmomketo if it makes you feel better, you are not the only one in that boat. my 14-year-old is in size 13 (and still growing)
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Nooooo!

Lol ;)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Sizes are crazy...I'm making a size 36 christmas dress (I think it might be a uk pattern)...but the other pattern I picked had me at a size 18 (I don't know how old that pattern is but the price on it is 25 cents, so definitely old)...and I actually wear an off the rack size 3 long in jeans...I feel good going from a size 7 to a size 3 over time, but I can't help but wonder how much of that is real sizing and how much is vanity sizing, because at the thrift store I can sometimes find like old size 12 jeans that fit me nice...so weird...

In terms of NSV - today is a food day and I made a keto cheesecake, and I hear there is a veggie tray, so I will get to participate and still stay on-plan for food, and that will be nice!
  • gwendyprism
    Options
    Sizes are crazy...I'm making a size 36 christmas dress (I think it might be a uk pattern)...but the other pattern I picked had me at a size 18 (I don't know how old that pattern is but the price on it is 25 cents, so definitely old)...and I actually wear an off the rack size 3 long in jeans...I feel good going from a size 7 to a size 3 over time, but I can't help but wonder how much of that is real sizing and how much is vanity sizing, because at the thrift store I can sometimes find like old size 12 jeans that fit me nice...so weird...

In terms of NSV - today is a food day and I made a keto cheesecake, and I hear there is a veggie tray, so I will get to participate and still stay on-plan for food, and that will be nice!

I distinctly remember joining TOPS in my 20s after my first kid. I wore a size 16 pants and weighed 169. Now I'm at 175 and wear a size 12-14. American sizes haves definitely gotten bigger over the years with the numbers staying the same.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    I adjusted a family recipe to be keto-friendly and using a coconut flour pie crust (4 net carbs, including the crust) . and it almost worked!…which i will take as a win since this is the first recipe i have tried to adjust on a 1:1 basis (rather than finding ones that others have made).

i now know that using 100% dark chocolate baking chocolate + special dark cocoa powder do not make a good replacement for melted chocolate chips (too bitter). but I will plan better for christmas rather than wing it (and probably do 1/2 unsweetened & 1/2 semi-sweet)
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    zanyterp wrote: »
    I adjusted a family recipe to be keto-friendly and using a coconut flour pie crust (4 net carbs, including the crust) . and it almost worked!…which i will take as a win since this is the first recipe i have tried to adjust on a 1:1 basis (rather than finding ones that others have made).

i now know that using 100% dark chocolate baking chocolate + special dark cocoa powder do not make a good replacement for melted chocolate chips (too bitter). but I will plan better for christmas rather than wing it (and probably do 1/2 unsweetened & 1/2 semi-sweet)

I tried 85% and 70%, and found 85 just too bitter. If using a keto sweetener, it might work. 75% was fine once you got used to it. Just at the edge point, but still decent.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    thank you for the tip, @CentaurusSoter! I will try that at Christmas

@qweck3 sweet!!! that is very awesome (sorry to hear about the catch-22 success at the theme parks…but glad to hear the end is in sight)
  • gwendyprism
    Options
    zanyterp wrote: »

Lillys brand has some keto friendly chocolate chips. I buy at Sprouts. Probably available elsewhere too.