NSVs - share your success 😊

Options

Replies

• nicmac1969
    nicmac1969 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My health has been going downhill so I knew I had to get back on Keto.
    A little history - I have a form of genetic high cholesterol plus a strong family history of heart disease and early heart attack.
    When I had my last appointment my Dr told me I was prediabetic, cholesterol was still high even on medication, my blood pressure was high and I was very overweight 😢
    I got back on Keto and today had another appointment. My bloods now show perfect blood sugar and cholesterol and I’ve lost 8kgs - all in around a month.
    Unfortunately the tests also showed that my cholesterol meds are causing muscle damage so I need to discontinue them immediately. My Dr and i are hoping that losing more weight plus ongoing Keto may keep it under control so will repeat tests again in a few months..........anyone else have genetic high cholesterol?
  • Viciousdoggie
    Viciousdoggie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    nicmac1969, I have genetic High Cholesterol. It killed both my parents. I have struggled the last 17 years, since my divorce to keep weight off. I also survived breast cancer 23 years ago. Full mastectomy and reconstruction, 9 months of Chemo. 8 years ago I was 175, and I'm 5'8". The last 5 years I hover around 200. I need to figure this out. I have cut out beer and wine. I love dark beer, and 2 glasses of wine every night. I had a beer and 2 glasses of wine last Saturday, but that is all I've had for 2 weeks. I have told myself no alcohol till the weekend. I get my blood tests on Monday, so will know then where I stand. I'm not great at taking my Creastor everyday. BTW, I just turned 60.
    I'm here to learn Keto and make it a way of Life. I made my food diary public. I'm not sure how to keep my protein in line, it's harder than I thought, I keep going over. Good luck on your journey and maybe we can help each other. Doreen
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If every day were like today... You'd weigh 298.8 lbs in 5 weeks

Seeing that is.. a bit crazy. It's been nearly a decade since that was "fat" me, and not "I could be that weight again if I work hard" me.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @CentaurusSoter if you are like me, that is always freaky to see/feel/realize. congrats!
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    zanyterp wrote: »
    @CentaurusSoter if you are like me, that is always freaky to see/feel/realize. congrats!

Today is my 150th day track, -2 from that for keto. The idea of sticking with a diet for 100 days was something to thought “yeah, sure” not 100 days ago.

Your loss is like me in a year or so, I hope. It’s like trailing your ghost on in a racing game.

Day 150 / 31.93kg / 70.4lbs

Can’t wait for day 200. NSV
  • zanyterp
    Options
    :) thank you for the vote of confidence and helping me keep going. i fully expect you to pass me and then i will be riding your ghost ^^ i hope keto works for you long-term; like you (?) trying to be not overweight has been a struggle forever. and i haven't found a way to keep it off until now (at least i think i will be able to keep it off this time)
    200 days: here you come!
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    @zanyterp @CentaurusSoter Congrats! Just keep at it. It is so worth it when the day arrives and you enter maintenance in fat adapted mode.

I've made it all the way back up to 125 total carbs a day with no weight gain when combined with calorie controls (2600) and exercise (running/crossfit/yoga). Weight has been stable at my goal weight of 235lb now for a few weeks in maintenance. I thought about going for 229 but I don't want to buy new clothes again lol. I'm fitting into a large shirt now and have to smile each day that happens.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    thank you, @qweck3
    glad to hear maintenance is working for you. and jealous of your total carbs :) (though, i do not envy you the work it takes to reach that. though i may see if i can do something when i reach that point to have that many…but that is an issue for another year. no pun intended).
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    zanyterp wrote: »
    :) thank you for the vote of confidence and helping me keep going. i fully expect you to pass me and then i will be riding your ghost ^^ i hope keto works for you long-term; like you (?) trying to be not overweight has been a struggle forever. and i haven't found a way to keep it off until now (at least i think i will be able to keep it off this time)
    200 days: here you come!

Yeah, I went from stocky, to fat stocky, to that hawaiian/islander type of big.
    qweck3 wrote: »
    @zanyterp @CentaurusSoter Congrats! Just keep at it. It is so worth it when the day arrives and you enter maintenance in fat adapted mode.

I've made it all the way back up to 125 total carbs a day with no weight gain when combined with calorie controls (2600) and exercise (running/crossfit/yoga). Weight has been stable at my goal weight of 235lb now for a few weeks in maintenance. I thought about going for 229 but I don't want to buy new clothes again lol. I'm fitting into a large shirt now and have to smile each day that happens.

In my pre-thanksgiving tests, I was around the 125 range. It was weirdly functional, but my bike rides didn't go great. Felt like I'd run out of energy and hit a wall bad. But I'm pretty sure I can handle long term at anything below 150. I have no idea if I am going to maintain LC or Keto. I just got done eating dinner, and there's nothing that I wouldn't eat again in that meal. Good spinach salad, some crispy fried onions (not a normal add), dressing, hamburger, soft cheese cut up. Keto meals are so normal that I could do it long term with low carb option days for my higher carb days.

I can't wait to get to maintenance. I hope I do hit that eventually. I have no idea if I'll slow down in progress the next 150 days, or speed up. It would be so much easier if I didn't need to adjust targets so frequently. It's a weird problem to have. Lose 10lbs relatively quickly, need to re-adjust my macros, have to figure out new meals to keep me feeling good through the day. I'm figuring it out, but geez, it can be a pain sometimes.

One thing is for sure, we're all doing pretty dang great I'd say. Here's hoping we continue to do so. I'm dealing with a pretty major life issue now, as a family member is going through something that likely will continue the next 6-12 months.. so here's hoping I don't get cortisol/hormone blocked from losing weight. Just gonna keep hitting my 30 minutes+ on the bike, 10+ miles, 5 times a week or more, every week, until I can't.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    i'm sorry to hear about your family struggles, @CentaurusSoter
    hope you are able to make it successfully (in all the ways possible)
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    migraines are the devil - congratulations on finding a way to be fee of them, that's a huge victory for quality of life

Fellow migraine person here, and they really are the devil.

I started keto at my doctor's suggestion to see if it would help with the migraines and autoimmune inflammation and what do you know... it's working. Plus I'm down 76 pounds. I'm wearing pants in sizes I haven't worn since the early 90s.

I still get the occasional migraine - mainly from triggers - but it's nice to not have them constantly. It's also nice to not have constantly swollen joints.
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    I'm gonna call another night of getting my fat behind on the bike, pedaling hard, and hitting my goal, another NSV moment. I could have not done that, eaten an entire pie, and lived life like I used to.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Last night I was trapped at ballet rehearsal for 3.5 hours...when I wasn't running errands or helping the girls with hair and makeup, I spent the time walking and doing squats...I'm very proud of myself for making the effort to be active even when it wasn't really convenient...it would have been easier to just sit in the audience and do nothing.
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    Had one today when I took the most intense hot power yoga class the studio I go to offers and got all the way through it without stopping (non stop keto fat burning energy?). Noticed the person next to me watching what I was doing a few times when they kept taking breaks and my fat brain was thinking "oh great someone judging me". Turns out she was just a newbie trying to figure out the moves and how I was not running out of energy. As I'm leaving the teacher says: "You have an energetic practice. Great job today". Walked away thinking -a year ago I was a fat mess dying on the mat now people are taking cues from me and instructors are making positive comments?- I really have to work on reseting my "fat brain" mentality next year. Might need counseling for that after a lifetime though lol.

Scale related I stepped on it today for the first time in a while and have work to do to stay in maintenance. Had dropped another 2.5 unintended pounds. Have a body scan tomorrow and hoping it's fat and not lean mass I've dropped.

The slow burning candle of keto energy is really hard to explain to people that haven't experienced.. it's just a well that you can keep pulling from much longer than you expect.

Today was and is officially my lowest day since starting. 140.7kg/310.2lbs and time to find new pants.. again.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Had one today when I took the most intense hot power yoga class the studio I go to offers and got all the way through it without stopping (non stop keto fat burning energy?). Noticed the person next to me watching what I was doing a few times when they kept taking breaks and my fat brain was thinking "oh great someone judging me". Turns out she was just a newbie trying to figure out the moves and how I was not running out of energy. As I'm leaving the teacher says: "You have an energetic practice. Great job today". Walked away thinking -a year ago I was a fat mess dying on the mat now people are taking cues from me and instructors are making positive comments?- I really have to work on reseting my "fat brain" mentality next year. Might need counseling for that after a lifetime though lol.

Scale related I stepped on it today for the first time in a while and have work to do to stay in maintenance. Had dropped another 2.5 unintended pounds. Have a body scan tomorrow and hoping it's fat and not lean mass I've dropped.

The slow burning candle of keto energy is really hard to explain to people that haven't experienced.. it's just a well that you can keep pulling from much longer than you expect.

Today was and is officially my lowest day since starting. 140.7kg/310.2lbs and time to find new pants.. again.

Congrats! Going down a pants size (or shirt size) is incredible progress! One day at a time until you hit the goal. I was 286 early this year and I'm exiting 2018 around 230lb's. Wouldn't change anything I did and the best part about it is I don't feel like I sacrificed anything and gained so much with the WOE.

The slow burning candle is a great way to put it. Just when I think I'm about to collapse I feel a small burst of energy to keep going. Such a difference for intense yoga and the running I've been doing. Interesting though: When I do crossfit I have to eat carbs to survive that thing since its more HIIT style for 15-20 minutes and done. More or less empty the tank.