TEAM WAISTAWAYS JANUARY 2019 TEAM CHAT

Options

Replies

• jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    @orngnerdz Welcome back. Super glad to hear that both you and your hubby are doing better.

• orngnerdz
    orngnerdz Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    @Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong I LOVE your username, that is a perfect thing to convey to your kids and grandkids! Welcome to our team, we are glad to have you! What does your current fitness journey look like? Are you focusing on diet and/or exercise?

@nicole3921 those are GREAT goals that I think I would benefit from as well! I had been doing a great job of being positive and focusing on my needs but that went down the drain last month so I need to refresh and remember why I started!
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    orngnerdz wrote: »
    Well hello team and happy new year!

It was a ROUGH end to 2018 for me but I am ready to start 2019 off strong.

Here's a quickie update: husband is home and doing well, he actually went back to work this morning and claims he is feeling fine (I have a feeling he will be SUPER tired tonight). (For those of you that don't know, he had gastric sleeve surgery on 12/17 and it has been an adjustment for both of us.)

After getting him home, the stress from life caught up with me and I ended up in the ER and had a three day hospital stay. Boo diabetes is about all I can say. BUT, I think I am out of the weeds now and I will be taking some time to catch up and see how you all have been doing! I also think I have a group challenge up my sleeve that people can chose to participate in (or modify or...) that I will post later today (along with my updated weight).

I'm excited to be back and ready to crush goals with all of you wonderful people!

Glad you and your husband are doing better. Take care.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,062 Member
    Options
    nicole3921 wrote: »
    Nicole3921
    Week 1
    Wednesday
    Previous weight: 170
    Current weight: 171

😭 getting back at it!

POSTED! We're all getting back at it together!
  • jugar
    Options
    offitgoes wrote: »
    Username: Offitgoes
    Weigh in week: week 1
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Weight: 178.6 lbs.
    Todays Weight: 179.6 lbs

POSTED. We'll get going now -- eeeeeeeeeee hah!
  • jugar
    Options
    I did a big grocery shopping expedition today, and was reminded again about how much of eating well takes place at the grocery store. I have certain trigger foods. I will always eat too many of them. I know it would be wonderful to just keep track of macros, or calories, or whatever and eat anything I want within those limits. I know that making some foods forbidden can be a path to making those things even more desired. BUT what works for me is to avoid buying those particular trigger foods that I know will set me up for a tough time. When I was in my active loss phase (now I have been maintaining or just fluctuating a few pounds), what worked was to be really strict for 6 days a week, and have one day where anything was possible. I could eat whatever I wanted. Gradually, that day got less important, and I did not go too wild at all. The habit of avoiding the trigger foods except for one day helped a lot.

What helps you? Whether we have a lot or a little to lose, the techniques that work are always interesting. And sometimes we need new ones even after a long period of success or maintenance. It is so easy to slip back...

So share some of your experience!
  • jan110144
    edited January 2019
    Options
    jugar wrote: »

What helps you? Whether we have a lot or a little to lose, the techniques that work are always interesting. And sometimes we need new ones even after a long period of success or maintenance. It is so easy to slip back...

So share some of your experience!

When it comes to trigger foods at this point, it depends on whether I can purchase them in a single serve portion. If no, I don't bring them home (unless I'm serving it to others and there will be no leftovers.) Otherwise, I save them for when I eat out. Just not to the point where I can have extras of trigger foods laying around the house and not be tempted to eat them.

Good day for me as I get back into the groove after the holidays. Feels good to be back to "normal".
  • Inspire2019
    Inspire2019 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Sorry for the late addition, but I weighed yesterday and found I had gained 18 pounds over December. I was part of this challenge in 2017 and it helped me tremendously, I lost over 85 pounds (70 during the challenge).
    I’ve gained a few back now and stil bave plenty to lose. I’d like to lose 80 more. Just a few weeks ago i could say 60. Ugh. I’m trying not to beat myself up too much.
    My name is Nancy, I’m a 44 year old married mom of 1 and am very private when it comes to images. I’ll gladly show you my scale each week. Maybe a few progress photos along the way. I’ve just become active again on here after rejoining a while back to keep track of my calories and such.
    I was doing fairly well December when I found out my father n law has terminal lung cancer, two of my nieces have breast cancer, and I have unexplained issues with my iron that we have to do further testing on. Ar the same time my plumbing went out as did my furnace. It very much felt like life was ridiculously whammied and I ate my emotions. I’m seeing a doctor now to iron out my iron issues and my diet monitoring along with bioscans. I’m ready to get on track and stay on track.
    I’m going to Vegas the end of March and want to lose at least 30 pounds by then.
    I have a very demanding job where time is often very short and I am currently assistant directing a play at our local theater...having said that, I plan to make spending time on here daily encouraging and being encouraged a priority.
    Not everyone likes tough love....but I do. Challenge me. Challenge my attitudes, challenge my choices, it helps me. I’ve been too easy on myself for way too long.
    I’m happy to be here and hope I can be of help to you. I am happy to add friends, preferably females, but I can make exceptions for teammates.
  • jan110144
    Options
    @Inspire2019 Welcome! You have had a lot on your plate recently! But, ypu did it before so you can do if again!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    olzb264r1atm.png
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    Gotta get that on a tee-shirt!

My latest "Plot Twist" ... just found a site that will take a set of measurements, do the math for me, and give me the (U.S. Navy) calculated Body Fat % results. Not the only way, maybe not the absolute most accurate-precise, but good enough for my purposes.

(big gasp! - bigger s i g h ..... )

36.8%

I am still 2 pounds away from BMI-Normal Zone top edge for me .... so not precisely concerned that I might already be "skinny-fat" yet. But I probably need to rethink both my ultimate maintenance zone (set it lower) AND how to expand "exercise" to mean more than daily "mostly-steady-paced" cardio (jogging on my mini-trampoline). Problem is, of all the various exercise types (mostly cardio variants but some stabs at resistance / weight machines at widely scattered intervals), this Wii exergame is the only thing I have consistently kept doing, because I ENJOY doing it. The mini-trampoline is a relatively new twist, but the game - lots more than 5 yrs now.

Any suggestions? I have a limited supply of hand weights at home (up to 15 lbs per hand plus a pair of 5 lb cuffs that could go on either wrists or ankles. Any Youtube series that you have found to be fat-burning? Body-weight resistance moves / programs for beginners ? (have started but never managed to maintain interest to the the point where progress / momentum kicks in for push-up or tricep dip or plank hold challenges over the long term. Didn't get to the end of the Advent Exercise Calendar last month ....

I won't be joining a gym or out-of-the-house class at the moment
  • karenesg
    karenesg Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Username: karenesg
    Weigh in week: January, Week 1
    Previous week’s weight: 185
    Todays weight: 188

Happy New Year!!!
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    Had a good day today. I am really busy right now, but still managed to get my exercise in, another HIT class around 430 calories, and almost 12000 steps. Ate well, am just tallying it up but I will be under for third day in a row.
    See you tomorrow!
  • karenesg
    Options
    Hi everybody. I’m Karen. Semi-retired, 58 years old, married, one child still living at home. Started the F2F challenge last summer and WOW! did I find a lot of support here. As most of us do, I struggle with staying motivated, exercising daily and keeping focused on my goal. Am looking forward to cheering you all on, getting helpful hints and LOSING MORE POUNDS!!
  • jugar
    Options
    karenesg wrote: »

Happy New Year!!!

POSTED! Thanks and Happy New Year to you too! It will be great to get to know you.
  • karenesg
    Options
    sue_01 wrote: »
    I'm doing good, just eating healthy foods, but I have lots of bruising and swelling from yesterdays fall, I feel like there is a golf ball on my knuckle of my hand, it was a very hard trip.
    Lots of ice.

Oh Sue, I'm so sorry to hear of your fall. I'm so paranoid about slipping on ice and falling... Is much harder to recover the older we get. Hope you heal quick. Take good care of yourself. You sure have had a lot to deal with. But you're still my inspiration!!! xo
  • jugar
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »

Any suggestions? I have a limited supply of hand weights at home (up to 15 lbs per hand plus a pair of 5 lb cuffs that could go on either wrists or ankles. Any Youtube series that you have found to be fat-burning? Body-weight resistance moves / programs for beginners ? (have started but never managed to maintain interest to the the point where progress / momentum kicks in for push-up or tricep dip or plank hold challenges over the long term. Didn't get to the end of the Advent Exercise Calendar last month ....

I won't be joining a gym or out-of-the-house class at the moment

This is a great plan - adding some weights/resistance/strength training makes a HUGE difference in changing the balance of fat and lean in your body. There is no need to search out specifically "fat-burning" exercises. Anything that builds more muscle will help change the balance, and you will be torching more fat.

I have taken two different approaches. For several years, I went to a trainer at a gym (there was a fantastic one where I worked) once a month, and got a program designed for me to do at home. I had to get a few bits of equipment (some weights, kettlebell, and a few other things) but it was great to be inspired by the trainer, have to show some progress every month, and it was easy to get any exercise changed out if I didn't like it. I get easily bored, so there were always different routines for different days, and you can get pretty much anything you want. You have a professional helping you move towards your goals, and it worked really well for me. And it is not expensive if you just go once a month.

Now that I have retired, I don't have the same trainer anymore. I went to someone else closer to where I live, but I wasn't enjoying his programs as much. So I use videos and the internet. I joined Grokker - they have tons of videos of all kinds. Some are organized into programs you can follow, and most are just mix and match. If you like dance, there are dance-based ones. The leaders have different approaches and personalities. I'm sure there are good ones on youtube as well, but I found it overwhelming to find the ones I wanted. Grokker charges but not too much. Another one that is free is Greatist - they have quite a few videos as well, but not as many as Grokker.

Good luck finding the secret moves to get to your goal!!!
  • karenesg
    Options
    Hi all,
    Sorry for the late addition, but I weighed yesterday and found I had gained 18 pounds over December. I was part of this challenge in 2017 and it helped me tremendously, I lost over 85 pounds (70 during the challenge).
    I’ve gained a few back now and stil bave plenty to lose. I’d like to lose 80 more. Just a few weeks ago i could say 60. Ugh. I’m trying not to beat myself up too much.
    My name is Nancy, I’m a 44 year old married mom of 1 and am very private when it comes to images. I’ll gladly show you my scale each week. Maybe a few progress photos along the way. I’ve just become active again on here after rejoining a while back to keep track of my calories and such.
    I was doing fairly well December when I found out my father n law has terminal lung cancer, two of my nieces have breast cancer, and I have unexplained issues with my iron that we have to do further testing on. Ar the same time my plumbing went out as did my furnace. It very much felt like life was ridiculously whammied and I ate my emotions. I’m seeing a doctor now to iron out my iron issues and my diet monitoring along with bioscans. I’m ready to get on track and stay on track.
    I’m going to Vegas the end of March and want to lose at least 30 pounds by then.
    I have a very demanding job where time is often very short and I am currently assistant directing a play at our local theater...having said that, I plan to make spending time on here daily encouraging and being encouraged a priority.
    Not everyone likes tough love....but I do. Challenge me. Challenge my attitudes, challenge my choices, it helps me. I’ve been too easy on myself for way too long.
    I’m happy to be here and hope I can be of help to you. I am happy to add friends, preferably females, but I can make exceptions for teammates.

Hey Nancy, nice to meet you. Welcome to the group. Sent you a friend request. Best to you with your iron issues and hoping the best for your family dealing with cancer. Take good care of yourself.
  • karenesg
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    karenesg wrote: »

Happy New Year!!!

POSTED! Thanks and Happy New Year to you too! It will be great to get to know you.

Thanks! Just getting back into the MFP groove and looking forward to getting to know you too!
This discussion has been closed.