WAIST AWAYS -- February 2019

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,215 Member
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    Talk it out Tuesday ...

One of my biggest challenges is dealing with those occasional days when I feel that it will be a struggle to do my planned fitness activities. Is it just a day where 'motivation' is lagging and discipline needs to take over, or is it something else?

How do you know when your body is telling you it needs a break vs. just being in a mood where you don't want to do it?

I think you know when you need a break, and when you need some more discipline to get it done. If you are not sure, just commit to a few minutes. If you ache, your pulse is elevated, you have overdone it - you'll know to take a day off. If you are just tired, it could be either one and you need to give it a few minutes, preferably of something you enjoy, breathing fresh air and getting the blood flowing. A short workout is better than none. Music! Put on the good music to get inspired!
  • jugar
    Options
    Hi guys. I’m traveling the rest of the week and won’t have access to a scale so I’m hoping I can do my weight in today.

Username: willrunformartinis
    Week: 3
    Weight in Day: Tuesday (but it’s usually thursdays)
    SW: 181.5
    PW: 176.5
    CW: 172.5 💃🏾

Steps Challenge
    2/18: 2,816
    @jugar

Personal Fit Challenge:
    8k Steps a day
    All of this time being used for traveling has really cut in to my daily steps goal 😡 BUT I’ve been making sure I’m making up for it on the days I can. I’m hoping once I finish traveling I can up my steps to 9k a day, slowly but surely 🐢.
    Overall I feel great about my changes. I’m super proud of not socially limiting myself and still making great choices. It takes a bit of time and research before I go out but I’m prepared and I’m sticking to the plan!

I'll put in your weight and pretend I forgot what day it is. I do that often. Great one, by the way!

Do you have your steps for the 17th? I know travelling can wreak havoc on our intentions, but any number of steps is fine. You are usually a fountain of the things, so a few lower days are fine! The rest of us will have to up our game. You are doing super well, and we love to hear about travels and all when you are back.
  • jugar
    Options
    Talk it out Tuesday. It is still Tuesday I hope!

I haven't been keeping too well to my eating plan the past couple of days, even though total calories is not too far off (that may be wishful thinking). I know that the road trip I have coming up will also be rough for eating well, and will also be low on exercise. I'm planning good short bodyweight circuits during breaks from the car, and hope to keep enough veggies coming in. I eat a LOT of fibre usually, and this is harder to do on the road. I think the anxiety about all this is making it easy to slack off and indulge in mindless munching. Meh. SO, I'm remembering as much as I can that it is a week or two. I will be able to undo the damage afterwards. I will keep the muscles going as well as possible, and not let the worry muscles get too strong! One of my inspirations these days is the terrible negative example of my mother-in-law. She is impressive in some ways, but has never taken care of her physical self, and has no idea of how much she could have improved her own condition through her life. It was not a part of her generation at all (she is 95!!), but the complaining and refusal to take responsibility for her physical condition drives me nuts. I hope to be more like my mom who is only a few years younger and has really taken on her own health and strength. She is fit and does amazingly well for almost 90 years old! It helps to have bad examples sometimes, because we don't want to go there.
  • jugar
    Options
    For Wednesdays I still like WHY, but it could be about anything! Just start with the word why, and make a question. Then try to answer the pesky thing.
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Perla4686 wrote: »
    Just curious, I had the impression we'll be having winners announcements every week, as we did last week. Or have I got that wrong?
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    I believe the Moderators post that at the end of each week. (on a Sunday or Monday, after they finish tabulating)

I apologize for this. This is on me. I usually do results on Sundays as I’m totally free that day but as we gave the extra day for steps we said we would get them out on Monday. My schedule is pretty busy during the week and I haven’t had a moment yet to post those results. I will do my absolute best to post them today. I will discuss this issue with the other MODS and see if we can find a solution to get those out on time each week.
  • leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    leni1us wrote: »
    Step Count 2/18 19, 545

What I am finding with my body, if I go over calories or carb count or have something with a lot of sodium (cheese, bacon, etc), it shows up two days later vs. the next day. It can be as much as a 3 lb increase. That's where I am now and just a bit frustrated. Over the weekend, I was not as diligent with watching what I ate. I didn't go overboard but I could have done better. I'm back to counting carbs and calories and packing my lunch but I'm still holding on to the 3 extra lbs.

Drink plenty of water to help flush excess sodium ... also, regardless of CALORIES PER SE, it can take up to 50 hours for heavy bulk (like bread&pizza / pasta based meals) to just plain "make the processing journey" Those three pounds may just be full intestines. If you are back on routine, those 3 pounds on the scale will "pass" all at once just as quickly as they went on.

It's only when we let the number on the scale scare us "off the wagon" and into a tailspin that they pose any long-term threat. And that is a psychological reaction to the root cause (one day's over), not a physical reaction.

That's why I weigh daily, so that I can look back to where I was a week ago. Over time (if the values can be saved and tracked somehow - I've heard mention of both Apple and Android weight trend apps for that) you will be able to spot trends and a) recognize the source plus b) be reassured by the way it always corrected itself over the course of several days back on track ... and how long a lag to expect ....

Thanks. I lose sight sometime of the journey itself.
  • leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Taking off my Fitbit for the night. I don't like sleeping in it.
    Steps for 2/19 - 11,686
  • sue_01
    sue_01 Posts: 2,791 Member
    Options
    Steps- 2/19- 10,300
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Why Wednesday ...

My whys have not really changed. The first has been to develop healthier habits so that I can continue to feel good and have the strength and energy to continue doing what I enjoy as I get even older. I currently take no prescription medications and would like that to continue.

My second why has been to get my Gold Medal in dressage with my horse Annie. This was going to require a much higher level of fitness than I had.

NSVs - NY fitness has improved immensely and it has really been reflected in my riding. I have updated my goal to target 2020 as the year. Stay tuned ...

Patience and discipline have NEVER been my strong suit. To my surprise, I seem to have developed a fair measure of both over the past 7 months. Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks?!
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    I’m really struggling with leg and hip pain today team. My steps won’t be very impressive for today. Sorry 😐
  • offitgoes
    offitgoes Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Offitgoes
    Week: 3
    Weigh in Day: Wednesday
    PW: 179
    CW: 178.2
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    Talk it out Tuesday - Getting exercise in is the hardest for me. I enjoy it when I do it, but I’ve spent decades putting my family first and not doing things for me. And to be honest, I can use them as an excuse not to go when they really are not an impediment to my exercising. I am happy to say I have improved getting steps in and motivating myself to go to the gym (a few times- not getting crazy here) But, I don’t think I could call exercise a habit for me yet. I am not consistent at all. There are days with great steps and two conscious choices to exercise in a day (yesterday) then days where I get busy around the house just doing “stuff” and never get out to exercise or get many steps. (Sunday) I know I’ve read somewhere that it takes xxx amount of days for exercise to become a habit. How did you make exercise a habit if it was not one to begin with?

I advocate the "commando sneak-attack" approach to calorie-crushing in these circumstances.

Read the suggestions in the following two MFP threads, and pick a few to try out yourself.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10707575/not-quite-exercise-what-active-lifestyle-activities-do-you-enjoy-throughout-the-day/p1

The intro-bit in the first one explains where the "calorie-out" side of calorie deficit comes from. Most people make the mistake of thinking that it HAS to mean "(formal, traditional) EXERCISE Activities" (your cardio, your weight/resistance work at the gym, your fitness dvd or youtube channel etc etc). All this is great and high calorie-burn return on time invested, and worth building into over time (or jumping into if that is where your schedule and physical capability and mind-set is right now .... )

If you are juuuuussssttt starting out, or have a physical / scheduling impediment to the traditional route, there is an alternative .... NEAT (non-exercise activities ... (like inefficiently making more trips to and from the car as you bring in the groceries, doing a wall-sit or a few torso-twists while waiting for the microwave to finish reheating your coffee, or developing the habit of always pacing while talking on the cell or cordless phone - LOTS of steps can result from that last one .... especially if you get calls from someone who likes to ramble .... )

Most people tend to overlook the fact that ..... so long as you are not (literally) tied to a bed, in a coma .... you ARE burning calories, just by virtue of moving around. The more you do, the more you will find yourself ABLE to do. This is how you keep general range-of-motion capability in all your joints. By bending and reaching and carrying and twisting.

MFP suggested calorie input already puts you in a slight calories-in deficit based on your self-assessment of how active your day is.

NEAT (or "commando sneak-attack") calorie burning is uncountable, but that just means there are no "exercise calories" choices easily entered into your Exercise Log, and added to your available total to eat back .... that's not the same as "not burning any".

It's also easier to make a sustainable game out of this approach, which will translate over time to a sustainable "active daily routine" lifestyle as time goes by.

You can still put your family first .... while applying the "commando sneak-attack" mind-set of "making myself more healthy when they aren't looking".

When the cumulative effect of being regularly more active through your day is consistently leading to shedding more than whatever your target weight-loss rate is, despite eating right up to your limit .... change your profile "daily activity setting" up one notch. You will get to eat more while still maintaining the same target rate of progress.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    Talk it out Tuesday. It is still Tuesday I hope!

I know that the road trip I have coming up will also be rough for eating well, and will also be low on exercise.

The best mind-set to pack on extended situations like this is "aim to maintain". Limit the negatives to the degree possible without causing yourself un-due stress, and as you said ... its only 2 weeks out of the rest of your life.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Doesn't look like I posted yesterday's step total ... this MAY be a repeat ...

Feb 19 - 8600
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    No weekly exercise goal. Hit with a sudden chest cold and just don't feel up to doing much right now. I did do some leg extensions today, but if I'll get in exercise any other day just depends on how I'm feeling.
    Diet has been as good as it has been though. Had a couple days of more hunger than usual, but that has been it. Feeling ok, just wish my kids would stop giving me their germs lol.
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    I haven’t been doing all that well on my personal goals that I sent last week. I am fine on the calories intake, and still trending down on my weight, but still not getting as much exercise as I would like. But I just have to wait until I’m feeling a bit better for that… Thanks for your continued support.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,285 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 Thank you for your response. Thankfully I learned about NEAT calories through this group. It is true that it is a big help. I felt like I was stalled and incapable of losing weight, but focusing on being “inefficient” has helped me add up more steps and exercise minutes. So I appreciate you reinforcing the importance of that to me. I will check out those links you sent too. Thanks for the support. I will get there.

Right now, my Why Wednesday is taking a different turn like WHY did I eat that chicken cheesesteak for lunch? Oh well, can’t undo that now. Just get myself back on track for the rest of the week. Weather is horrendous but I will try to get to the gym tonight or do something here at home.

The real why is to treat my body right and be healthier. Get to a better weight, so the joint pain improves from less stress. And be around for a long time with a purposeful life.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,285 Member
    Options
    Steps:
    2/17 4,369
    2/18 12,185 A record for me!
    2/19 6,420
    2/20
    2/21
    2/22
    2/23
  • jugar
    Options
    Why Wednesday

Why am I glad everyone just left the house? So I can get to my workout and earn my shower. Maybe they left because of me needing a shower. In any case, they're gone! I'm ready to sweat!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Feb 20 steps: 7804
This discussion has been closed.