WAIST AWAYS -- February 2019

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,216 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    Talk It Out Tuesday: Vent. Speculate. Ask for strategy suggestions. Respond to others' posts.

We are into the second week of Theme Day Discussion-Starters. How are people liking it? Is there interest in changing any of the options? I am open to alternations.

Quick summary of what's listed so far:

Successes Sunday
    Motivation Monday
    Talk-It Out Tuesday
    Why Wednesday (includes NSVs)
    Thirsty Thursday
    Foody Friday
    Silly Saturday

I have been enjoying these - perhaps Thursday is the dullest one, even though water is really important and we need to keep it flowing. There just is not that much to say about it. Some ideas -
    • Thrilling Thursday - what thrills you? what has been really exciting this week, no matter how small?
    • Threat Thursday - what is a threat to your getting fit or eating well? what's your plan?
    • Thrifty Thursday - tips to save a few $$
    • (Heart)throb Thursday - tell us about someone you love. Someone in your family, a friend, a role model, an imaginary person - the sky is the limit.
    • Throwaway Thursday - what are you getting rid of?
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    NikkiDT9211
    Week 3
    Weigh in Day- Tuesday
    PW: 203.8
    CW: 203.8

I'm trying not to let these numbers get to me. I gave it my all this week and it was so disheartening seeing no loss on the scale 😢.

If you are weighing in once a week, keep in mind that this just might be one of those days when fluid retention put your weight up. (When I was weighing daily, I found that during any given week there could be a several pound variance. What the scale said on weigh-in day was not necessarily my lowest weight of the week.)

The other thing I found is that it was almost anytime I had a decent loss, it was usually followed by a week with no, or minimal, loss.

All you can do is review your diary. If you are really concerned, have someone with some experience behind them review your diary and see if they see anything that you might change. Just remember, your body will be continually adjusting during this journey. If you feel like your plan is on target, trust the process and accept the (disappointing) fact that dropping the pounds is just not a linear process :-(
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    Talk It Out Tuesday: Vent. Speculate. Ask for strategy suggestions. Respond to others' posts.

We are into the second week of Theme Day Discussion-Starters. How are people liking it? Is there interest in changing any of the options? I am open to alternations.

Successes Sunday
    Motivation Monday
    Talk-It Out Tuesday
    Thirsty Thursday
    Foody Friday
    Silly Saturday

@jugar provided the following possibilities for switching up Thursday .... which do you vote for or do you have other suggestions?
    • Thrilling Thursday - what thrills you? what has been really exciting this week, no matter how small?
    • Threat Thursday - what is a threat to your getting fit or eating well? what's your plan?
    • (Heart)throb Thursday - tell us about someone you love. Someone in your family, a friend, a role model, an imaginary person - the sky is the limit.

I also saw minimal input for "Silly Saturday / Motivation Monday" (both tend to be "post a meme or quote" heavy ...)
    Do we want to keep 1 or both of these as is, or maybe consider changes here as well?
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Steps:
    2/17 4,369
    2/18 12,185 A record for me!
    2/19
    2/20
    2/21
    2/22
    2/23

I like Thrilling Thursday.
    @NikkiDT9211 Keep up the good work. Brush off those numbers on the scale. I know it’s disappointing, but they are only numbers. Like Jan said, it may just be the day and/or retaining water. Your body may be building muscle and dropping inches. Just keep it up and you’ll see your hard work show.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Talk it out Tuesday - Getting exercise in is the hardest for me. I enjoy it when I do it, but I’ve spent decades putting my family first and not doing things for me. And to be honest, I can use them as an excuse not to go when they really are not an impediment to my exercising. I am happy to say I have improved getting steps in and motivating myself to go to the gym (a few times- not getting crazy here) But, I don’t think I could call exercise a habit for me yet. I am not consistent at all. There are days with great steps and two conscious choices to exercise in a day (yesterday) then days where I get busy around the house just doing “stuff” and never get out to exercise or get many steps. (Sunday) I know I’ve read somewhere that it takes xxx amount of days for exercise to become a habit. How did you make exercise a habit if it was not one to begin with?
  • jan110144
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    Steps:
    2/17 4,369
    2/18 12,185 A record for me!
    2/19
    2/20
    2/21
    2/22
    2/23

I like Thrilling Thursday.
    @NikkiDT9211 Keep up the good work. Brush off those numbers on the scale. I know it’s disappointing, but they are only numbers. Like Jan said, it may just be the day and/or retaining water. Your body may be building muscle and dropping inches. Just keep it up and you’ll see your hard work show.

Yay Micki. I remember how yuh out were struggling with the exercise component at the beginning of the month. You are doing GREAT!!
  • jan110144
    Options

Successes Sunday
    Motivation Monday
    Talk-It Out Tuesday
    Thirsty Thursday
    Foody Friday
    Silly Saturday

@jugar provided the following possibilities for switching up Thursday .... which do you vote for or do you have other suggestions?

I also saw minimal input for "Silly Saturday / Motivation Monday" (both tend to be "post a meme or quote" heavy ...)
    Do we want to keep 1 or both of these as is, or maybe consider changes here as well?

Just a thought... could we have have options for each day so it could vary over the month? When the focus is the same each week. I'm not sure I will have something different to say each time.
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

My vote is for Threat Thursday. I like this one because we are faced with threats everyday from ourselves and others who don't understand the struggle. For me that's one of my biggest obstacles. People actually tell me to let it go and enjoy the food around me. They are not the ones who need to have both knees replaced and the Doctors won't operate until I hit that magic number of the scale. I hear all the time that the scale shouldn't be the most important fact on weigh lost but unfortunately for me it is.

Sorry for venting.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Venting is what Tuesdays (or ANY day!) is for @matthewsfive !
  • BMcC9
    Options
    leni1us wrote: »
    Step Count 2/18 19, 545

What I am finding with my body, if I go over calories or carb count or have something with a lot of sodium (cheese, bacon, etc), it shows up two days later vs. the next day. It can be as much as a 3 lb increase. That's where I am now and just a bit frustrated. Over the weekend, I was not as diligent with watching what I ate. I didn't go overboard but I could have done better. I'm back to counting carbs and calories and packing my lunch but I'm still holding on to the 3 extra lbs.

Drink plenty of water to help flush excess sodium ... also, regardless of CALORIES PER SE, it can take up to 50 hours for heavy bulk (like bread&pizza / pasta based meals) to just plain "make the processing journey" Those three pounds may just be full intestines. If you are back on routine, those 3 pounds on the scale will "pass" all at once just as quickly as they went on.

It's only when we let the number on the scale scare us "off the wagon" and into a tailspin that they pose any long-term threat. And that is a psychological reaction to the root cause (one day's over), not a physical reaction.

That's why I weigh daily, so that I can look back to where I was a week ago. Over time (if the values can be saved and tracked somehow - I've heard mention of both Apple and Android weight trend apps for that) you will be able to spot trends and a) recognize the source plus b) be reassured by the way it always corrected itself over the course of several days back on track ... and how long a lag to expect ....

• Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Just curious, I had the impression we'll be having winners announcements every week, as we did last week. Or have I got that wrong?
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I believe the Moderators post that at the end of each week. (on a Sunday or Monday, after they finish tabulating)
  • treebek
    treebek Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Takk it out Tuesday -

I’ve been in metfirmin for a few years because I am classified as “pre-diabetic” and also have pcos. I was always on the very low end of pre or high end of normal when checking fasting blood sugar.

Well, I’ve gained 18 pounds since September and I’ve also recently run out of metformin. My OB/GYN has been rx’ing these for me, but I know I really need to get a primary dr.

The last two days I’ve checked my fasting blood sugar first thing in the morning and it’s been 139 and 141. My numbers used to be 90-100. Reading online the numbers I have qualify as diabetic. This stinks.

Im so stressed. I need to get a dr. I have good insurance, I have no excuses. I need to lose weight. I need to start taking care of my body.

So anyway, thanks for letting me talk it out.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    treebek wrote: »
    Talk it out Tuesday -

I’ve been in metfirmin for a few years because I am classified as “pre-diabetic” and also have pcos. I was always on the very low end of pre or high end of normal when checking fasting blood sugar.

Well, I’ve gained 18 pounds since September and I’ve also recently run out of metformin. My OB/GYN has been rx’ing these for me, but I know I really need to get a primary dr.

The last two days I’ve checked my fasting blood sugar first thing in the morning and it’s been 139 and 141. My numbers used to be 90-100. Reading online the numbers I have qualify as diabetic. This stinks.

Im so stressed. I need to get a dr. I have good insurance, I have no excuses. I need to lose weight. I need to start taking care of my body.

So anyway, thanks for letting me talk it out.

The following list is copied from the Self-Care challenge. Look after yourself.
    =================
    Here's a list of self-care tips for the times we are struggling:
    1. Get out of bed.
    2. Brush your teeth.
    3. Wash your face.
    4. Shower, even if you just get in and rinse off! The water might feel amazing for you.
    5. Eat something. Even if it’s just a cracker or some bread. Just get something in your belly!
    6. Walk out onto your back porch. Stand there for 10 seconds and then if you want, go back inside. Great job, you made it outside! If you feel like it, take a short walk. Get some sunshine!
    7. Put on your favorite TV show or movie.
    8. Check your email and clear your inbox. Respond to anything that is important.
    9. Change your sheets.
    10. Check your actual mail.
    11. Stay hydrated. Fill up a water bottle and keep it close by.
    12. Take your medication.
    13. Stretch. This can be a small quick stretch on the couch or some yoga.
    14. Check your text messages and answer those from people who are important or worried about you.
    15. Pay any bills you might have to avoid late fees.
    16. Change your clothes if you didn’t when you first got out of bed.
    17. If you have a pet, make sure they are good on their food and water. Nothing feels worse than your pet having an empty water or food bowl and you not being aware of it!
    18. Do a creative hobby that you like.
    19. Open up the blinds to let the light come into your house.
    20. Watch a funny video. Laugh.

https://themighty.com/2018/08/realistic-self-care-ideas/

• BMcC9
    Options
    Why Wednesdays (Why are you still working on this? What's your goal statement for the month / for the year / for life?)

What NSV(s) have you achieved this week? Think small but think POSITIVE! (eg "I took my lunch to work 2 days this week .... that's 2 more than usual!"
  • BMcC9
    Options
    My goal for February is to stabilize in the 138.X range by the end of the month. That means I have to stay in that weight for two WORKDAY (~6:30 a.m.) weigh-in's in a row. Weekends don't count because I sleep late and therefore am weighing in 3 or 4 (or 5 .....) hours later than usual.

My goal for life includes (a) the healthier I get, the less stressed my DH gets. He has had soooo much multi-source stress around the beginning of 2018 that he lost 20 pounds (and HE didn't have any to lose!) and became officially stress-induced pre-diabetic.

My cholesterol was juuuust starting to cross the line 2 years ago. After I lost my first 10 pounds, it was already starting to shift back in the right general direction .... I have now shed a total of over 43 pounds ....

Given my genetic family history, it is very likely that at some future date I will become pre-diabetic myself. The healthier I get myself now, (and keep myself from now on) the longer I can postpone the onset.

NSVs - I spent 2 hours at a stretch several days last week shifting storage bins and boxes around for a friend who is recovering from surgery and can't move them herself. She got tired just watching me ..... I could have kept going, but her hubby hadn't built enough shelves yet, and we kept running out of room ....

I am in desperate need of new work-out capris or shorts (they HAVE to have back pockets for my exergame controlers) but the Thrift Store won't be stocking any for another few months. Guess I'll just have to go searching for discounted cruise-wear in the regular stores ...
  • BMcC9
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    Just a thought... could we have have options for each day so it could vary over the month? When the focus is the same each week. I'm not sure I will have something different to say each time.

Suggestions for additional "W"s? We have a nice list for Thursdays .... and Foodie Friday seems to be broad enough for variety, but feel free to offer an expanded list for those days too. I'll be asking for more "Saturday" and "Sunday" options later in the week.
    • Wish-List Wednesday- what is on your (non-food) reward list for when you reach various milestones on your way to Maintenance?

What else?
This discussion has been closed.