WAIST AWAYS -- February 2019

Options

Replies

• jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I started my plank challenge. I was not sure at all that I would be able to do it, so I was very pleased to find that I could hold it for the required 30 seconds. The challenge requires adding seconds every three of days. Still uncertain about being able to hit the hold for 2 min by the end of the month, but I'l going to give it a go!
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Name: Lisa
    Your Personal Challenge: Exercising regularly
    Comment on how this is going for you hard: I'm SUPER lazy and will make any excuse I can to not exercise. I was exercising some, but got a quick but bad cold and it's going to be difficult getting back in to the swing of it again.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Shrinking Assets is the host team for the WEEK 1 GROUP CHALLENGE

Please click the link below and pick 5 items to commit to for the coming week.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10724169/february-week-1-group-challenge-small-changes-pick-5/p1?new=1

• jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Want Healthier Eating Habits? Start with a Workout https://news.utexas.edu/2019/01/30/want-healthier-eating-habits-start-with-a-workout/

While you can't out-exercise a bad diet, integrating the workout of your choice into your day is an important part of establishing the healthy routine that wI'll get you to your goal (and keep you there!).

For me, it has alwsys seemed like exercise is an appetite suppressant. The days in which I am unable to exercise for some reason are always the days in which I struggle with food. (And also the days when I have sleep issues). The article helps me to understand why this is.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,213 Member
    Options
    LiLee2018 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! First timer to this challenge and really glad to take part in it.
    My name is Lisa. 39yo stay at home mom of 3. 6yo daughter, 3yo son, 2yo son.
    I've been overweight pretty much since puberty, so elementary school. I remember gaining a lot of weight in 5th grade and being teased about it.
    I lost a lot in my teen years due to depression, but being a stupid teen still thought I was SO fat at around 140-150lbs.
    Fast forward to 30yo. I find out I have PCOS, insulin resistance, and hypothyroidism and I'm at my heaviest weight of 250lbs at only 5'3".
    Got put on medication and with no effort on my part, lost about 60lbs over 2 years. But due to infertility issues and just bad eating habits (ALL THE CARBS!!!), I started gaining weight again.
    Did eventually get pregnant.. 3 times and here I am.
    Last year, I kept putting off starting another diet. Just kept telling myself... "Oh.. NEXT Monday I'll start." Then it would come and pass and I'd still be eating terribly.
    Well I had a health scare that really set me straight. I started getting chest pains. Left side chest pains. Scared the ever living bejebus out of me. Turned out to be stress related and nothing else concerning showed up on my tests thankfully. Who knew raising 2 toddlers could be stressful?? /sarcasm
    It really opened my eyes though. What if it hadn't just been stress?? What if I had to have open heart surgery at just 39yo with 3 small kids?? I needed whatever I decided to do to be the last "diet" I ever went on.
    So I started the keto diet 7 months ago at a weight of 224lbs. I knew this was it though. I knew that THIS time, I wasn't giving up.
    It's been a lot easier than I ever thought it would be. I'm not super strict with ingredients, but I stay within my carb limit. I know this type of restrictive diet isn't for everyone, but it works for me. I also can't control my appetite if I eat carbs b/c they never make me feel satisfied. I could eat an entire box of pasta and an hour later would be hungry again. I could eat 2 packs of ramen WITH 3-4 eggs and would still be hungry after.
    I've lost about 45lbs. I've had 3 planned "cheats" this entire time and.. I'm still going as strong and as determined as I was on day 1.
    Still have about 50-55lbs I'd like to lose and I'm going to get there. No doubt in my mind that I WILL reach my goal.
    Decided that I need to take nightshades out of my diet temporarily... at least a month. I'm fairly certain I have an intolerance to them. They're my fav. I love hot sauce, I love spicy, I love tomatoes, but whenever I eat them... my gut is not happy with me, so I'm giving those up for at least a month.
    They're the main veggies I eat so decided that I'm also going to try going carnivore for a month too just to see how it goes. If it works out, then yay, if it doesn't, then just back to keto for me :)
    My new years resolution was to start exercising which I did.
    I'm extremely out of shape though so I'm starting off reeeeeally slow. REALLY slow lol. It's still difficult for me to not want those instant results, but my mind is slowly coming to terms that changes aren't going to happen overnight. Also doesn't help that I'm extremely lazy and enjoy being lazy. Taking care of my boys (while my daughter is in school) is exhausting and I fully admit that I'd rather just sit and veg out on the couch than get up and do anything physical lol. So it's been a challenge to just get up and do something.
    Anyway... I've written a novel here lol.
    Really looking forward to this challenge and helping to cheer everyone else on :)

Welcome Lisa! I'm Liselyn, and I'm glad you wrote a nice long intro - sitting up here in my hidden away house in the woods when it is SO freezing out, I love having an excuse to sit here and read. And it is even better to get to know all the teammates new and returning.

You'll find out I'm a veggie freak - if you ever want veggie ideas with no tomatoes, I'm happy to share recipes. And encouragement - finally getting my plate covered with veggies and reducing grains down to a small amount if any was what worked for me after years of trying to lose weight. I am not a meat eater, but do go for fish. It is amazing how much you can eat when it's mostly plants - I love stuffing myself and not re-gaining the weight!

If you need any help navigating the challenge, just shout.
  • jugar
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    jan110144 wrote: »
    FEBRUARY FITNESS CHALLENGE for Team Waistaway!
    I just watched the January Wk 5 Moderators' Challenge video ..... VERY Powerful!

I have finally linked the High Intensity Interval Training (harder version) on my exercise bike to working on lowering body fat % number (as determined by a U.S. Navy Formula website where you plug in your height, current weight, and 3 body measurements.)

I am already down 1.5% between Jan 2 and Jan 26.

I am using the connection to fuel a change my morning pre-work routine to "2x5 minutes HIIT before work" (this way, they stay at 30 seconds light / 30 second hard intervals .... if I did 1 x 10 minutes, they would be 60 seconds light / 60 second hard intervals).

To fit them in, that means:
    • out of bed right when the alarm rings AND
    • NO BOOK before work!

I commit to keeping on with the new morning routine, and doing a second 10 minutes after work. My Low Intensity Steady State jogging on the mini-trampoline / cardio exergame is no longer my primary / often only exercise ... but got to keep it in to some degree as this is my "step counting activity" for the Step Challenge.

Done the 20 minutes of HIIT every day this week.
    This is quite the commitment - fantastic job! This might seem far off and difficult for some people, but it is a great example of how to make commitments measurable and how to avoid pitfalls. If you want to watch that fabulous video it is on https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10722891/week-5-moderators-challenge#latest

It is worth a watch all the way through - and the guy who posted it, Greg Anderson ( @Navydaddjtc ) is one inspiring guy. He is going through a super tough time right now with his health and the health of close family members. Pop over to the Workout Warriors team thread to see him in action from time to time. He'll be by here sometimes too - send him some support if you enjoy his dedication and grit as much as I do.
  • jugar
    Options
    Hi all! I'm new to this group. My name is Tuesday, 37 years old in Utah. I am married with an 18 year old step son and four fur babies. I've been over weight as long as I can remember. About 19 years ago a list about 85 lbs,was down to 200 but have slowly put almost all of it back on.

I work in an office and unfortunately don't get a lot of steps during the day without trying. I do find ways to get up and move but not as much as I like. I love to cook for my family and friends. My husband and I cook together which makes it more fun. We love to host parties, bbqs and spend a lot of time in our garden and going camping. I've thing I'll need to focus on this summer is eating better while camping.

Starting taking things more seriously about 3 weeks ago and have lost 10 lbs so I'm feeling motivated.
    Welcome, Tuesday! You have already lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks - wow! You may not be able to keep losing at such a pace, but as you'll hear in this team a lot, slow gets there too. Office jobs are tough on fitness, but you can find all kinds of ways of sneaking it in - look up some videos for in-office exercise that you can do right there, or have morning dance parties with your co-workers! We used to do that, and it was not only a few minutes of good exercise, but it was hilarious. Choose a tune, and let 'er rip.

If you have any questions about how the challenge works, posting weight, etc., just shout!
  • jugar
    Options
    Hi all!

Thanks for letting me join you this month. My name is Nichole and I am 32 years old from California. I have been losing weight for almost a year now (2 more weeks!) and I've lost 48 pounds so far. I want to lose 30-40 more.

I have been losing some motivation so I am very excited to be a part of this. I love the competitive nature and the sense of teamwork. I look forward to kicking Feburary's butt with all of you 😊.

I see you guys are looking for people for the step challenge. What does it entail?

Hope you all had a successful day!

Welcome Nichole! You have come to the right place for some motivation renewal. We all need it sometimes - I have more or less been at goal weight for 7 years, and still need to have a team to keep it that way. Kicking February's butt will go great with you on the kicking end!

Step challenge is simple - keep a record of your steps every day and record it in the step challenge page (under "announcements" on the F2F start page. Mari or I then puts the steps into the February spreadsheet and whichever team records the most total steps each weeks gets a lot of cheering from all the teams, and then gets a lot more challenge from them for the next week. It's a lot of fun. You can record your steps any day, record a couple of days at a time - any way that works as long as they are in by Saturday for the week. Early. So they count.

Let us know if you're in! (if you haven't already - I'm working my way through the new messages and haven't gotten to the end yet!)
  • jugar
    Options
    Bear479 wrote: »
    Bear479
    Week 1
    Pw 178.5
    Cw 172.8

WOW! Posted! Your change of diet has obviously made a difference!
  • jugar
    Options
    Name: Lisa
    Your Personal Challenge: Exercising regularly
    Comment on how this is going for you hard: I'm SUPER lazy and will make any excuse I can to not exercise. I was exercising some, but got a quick but bad cold and it's going to be difficult getting back in to the swing of it again.

Try to make your goal a bit more specific, and maybe add some consequences. When I was at my worst weight, and did not want to lift my carcass off the couch, it helped that I set a time (HAD to do some kind of exercise, even if only 10 minutes, BEFORE starting supper cooking - making supper 10 minutes later was not so terrible, but missing exercise was). I also made a shower rule once I got into exercising a bit more - no shower until I worked up a sweat, or at least did something to earn it. Usually once you start exercising, even if you say you'll do 2 minutes, you keep going. Use videos (I like grokker.com but there are tons), or great tunes to keep you moving. You can do this!!!!!
  • jugar
    edited February 2019
    Options
    OK, I'll stop hogging the message board shortly...

For my fitness challenge commitment this month:

Liselyn
    Finish the 8 week fitness program I am following. There are daily videos to do, and then I add my outdoor exercise of snowshoeing, hiking, or something. If it is too horrible out, exercise bike inside. Every day counts, including the recovery days with more stretching, foam rolling, or trying out a bit of yoga.

Last month I did quite well - missed a couple of days during my birthday week and when travelling to visit my dad, but mostly kept up. Now it is feeling harder, but so are my muscles! Poke me, go ahead!!
  • LiLee2018
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10724169/february-week-1-group-challenge-small-changes-pick-5/p1?new=1

Do we post what we pick there or here?
  • jugar
    Options

Do we post what we pick there or here?

There. It's all the teams participating on that one so go ahead and join in!
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options

Great challenge ASSETS!! thanks for hosting!
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    Sorry I have been totally off the screen this week. It’s been a challenging one. My husband had scheduled back surgery on Tuesday. It went very well and he came home Wednesday afternoon.

But early yesterday morning I woke up with a really bad pain in my back. And it really didn’t make any sense because I hadn’t done anything really physical for a couple of days. I called my clinic and given that women often express heart disease in a different way than men, the doctor on call told me to go to emergency.

When I got there the triage nurse was pretty convinced it was muscle problem. But I kept pushing. Not that I wouldn’t have seen a doctor but I might have sat there for hours first.

The upshot is my heart is fine (thank goodness) but I do have a blood clot in my lungs (pulmonary embolism). Anyway the one I have is in a good part of my lungs, and I am now on blood thinners so it will gradually dissolve.. So I am chilled out at home..

Moral of the story, watch for the different signs of heart disease or embolism.. don’t assume back pain is necessarily muscular!

I will gradually resume some activity, but probably won’t really be able to resume the stepping challenge until March.

Thanks for your support!

Glad your husband is doing well and on the mend.

Good thing you insisted and kept pushing to be seen. that could have gone so so so much worse. Will keep you in my prayers. You will be back on top of things before you know it.
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    Want Healthier Eating Habits? Start with a Workout https://news.utexas.edu/2019/01/30/want-healthier-eating-habits-start-with-a-workout/

While you can't out-exercise a bad diet, integrating the workout of your choice into your day is an important part of establishing the healthy routine that wI'll get you to your goal (and keep you there!).

For me, it has alwsys seemed like exercise is an appetite suppressant. The days in which I am unable to exercise for some reason are always the days in which I struggle with food. (And also the days when I have sleep issues). The article helps me to understand why this is.

I read all the time here on MFP and other social medias etc that weight loss is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise. I agree to this but I also find that when I workout I tend to be much more careful with my nutrition. I work too hard to burn those calories to just turn around and ruin it by eating something bad. Like you, days I stay home or don't work out, I will head for that cookie jar constantly ( I don't have a cookie jar....its more of a snack cabinet lol). So for me its imperative to get that workout in....I will stick to my meal plan and calorie intake that way.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    FEBRUARY FITNESS CHALLENGE for Team Waistaway!
    I just watched the January Wk 5 Moderators' Challenge video ..... VERY Powerful!

I have finally linked the High Intensity Interval Training (harder version) on my exercise bike to working on lowering body fat % number (as determined by a U.S. Navy Formula website where you plug in your height, current weight, and 3 body measurements.)

I am already down 1.5% between Jan 2 and Jan 26.

I am using the connection to fuel a change my morning pre-work routine to "2x5 minutes HIIT before work" (this way, they stay at 30 seconds light / 30 second hard intervals .... if I did 1 x 10 minutes, they would be 60 seconds light / 60 second hard intervals).

To fit them in, that means:
    • out of bed right when the alarm rings AND
    • NO BOOK before work!

I commit to keeping on with the new morning routine, and doing a second 10 minutes after work. My Low Intensity Steady State jogging on the mini-trampoline / cardio exergame is no longer my primary / often only exercise ... but got to keep it in to some degree as this is my "step counting activity" for the Step Challenge.

Done the 20 minutes of HIIT every day this week.
    This is quite the commitment - fantastic job! This might seem far off and difficult for some people, but it is a great example of how to make commitments measurable and how to avoid pitfalls. If you want to watch that fabulous video it is on https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10722891/week-5-moderators-challenge#latest

It is worth a watch all the way through - and the guy who posted it, Greg Anderson ( @Navydaddjtc ) is one inspiring guy. He is going through a super tough time right now with his health and the health of close family members. Pop over to the Workout Warriors team thread to see him in action from time to time. He'll be by here sometimes too - send him some support if you enjoy his dedication and grit as much as I do.

The following Ted Talk video was originally shared in another of my challenges, but is SOO worth regular repeat viewing by all.

Inside the mind of a master procrastinator – Tim Urban
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj7oStGLkU

By watching it first, you will GET why, as shown in this second video (the one @jugar references above), so many go for the immediate, easy choice without making the connection to the fact that they are only making things harder for themselves down the road. .

This 10 min video from Fearless Motivation features the National Spokesperson for the Boys&Girls cCub of America, Denzel Washington
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyzuzFISNJ0&feature=youtu.be

Then apply the Goal => Day-by-Day Discipline and Commitment => Accomplishment formula to your own specific situation and challenges to get you through the month. To me, this video encapsulates the Big Picture (General) Theory behind what we learn on a personal, practical level by keeping on keeping on No …. Matter …. HOW …. an individual day goes.
  • LiLee2018
    Options
    Try to make your goal a bit more specific, and maybe add some consequences. When I was at my worst weight, and did not want to lift my carcass off the couch, it helped that I set a time (HAD to do some kind of exercise, even if only 10 minutes, BEFORE starting supper cooking - making supper 10 minutes later was not so terrible, but missing exercise was). I also made a shower rule once I got into exercising a bit more - no shower until I worked up a sweat, or at least did something to earn it. Usually once you start exercising, even if you say you'll do 2 minutes, you keep going. Use videos (I like grokker.com but there are tons), or great tunes to keep you moving. You can do this!!!!!

Your Personal Challenge: Exercise at least 4x a week

I'm not sure what a consequence would be if I don't achieve that though other than just feeling guilty and having to come back here to confess it lol.

• jugar
    Options

Your Personal Challenge: Exercise at least 4x a week

I'm not sure what a consequence would be if I don't achieve that though other than just feeling guilty and having to come back here to confess it lol.

Hahaha! Confession is good for something, they say! No shower was a good consequence for me - I LOVE my shower. Especially after some good exercise, but missing it because I did not exercise still helps keep me going.
This discussion has been closed.