Like Minded Lushes - Spring 2019

Options

Replies

• SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Ann, how was your trip?
    Robin, Maui is one of my most favorite places. Enjoy!!
    Happy Easter, Gwen.
    Haha, Gary. On 4/20 my advice to you is to stock up for your company (feel free to google 420 if anyone is confused B) )

8 of us headed to Petco Park for a Padres game tonight which is always a good time. No calorie counting there.

Oh, my husband's paycheck yesterday came with a fat merit/bonus increase. That's how f'ed up the company is. "We laid your 63yo butt off, but here's a merit increase for all your hard work!"

It's a head scratcher :/
  • ryzeman
    ryzeman Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    The local MJ businesses usually have good deals on the "weed" holiday so I should stock up! Last year is was $5 grams.

On the merit/bonus increase. It validates your husbands worth but also is telling that the company bottom line is all about the $$ and not about the company's best assets- their people.

eff em

Have a great weekend all!
  • ryzeman
    Options
    There have been a few new people that have posted under the general "Like minded lushes" tab. I have steered them in this threads direction.

I am a anxious about my brother and his girlfriend's visit this weekend. Hopefully the family get together won't involve drama. My folks said they will be polite but also want to tell him they have written him off. I don't think its possible to be polite and disown their son....

Need gummies. B)
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    I posted a link. Hopefully she can find us here.

Haha at your parents. Yeah, I don't think it works that way. You definitely need to stock up, Gary :D

The game was fun but SUPER crowded. I'll chalk it up to being Easter weekend and 420. We scored some free tickets to another game but it's on a Tuesday so I'm thinking my anxiety over crowds will be much better then.

We have tentative plans for my birthday this week. We'll see if we can drum up a celebratory mood
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Gary - reading that line about your parents made me laugh out loud - pretty sure there isn't really a polite way to tell a son they are disowned... :p
    Syd - the trip was amazing! We really, really enjoyed Antigua. The other islands were great as well but we did an excursion in Antigua that was biking, Kayaking and hiking that was incredible..the beaches there were absolutely amazing. I kinda want to go back, now! :)
    Happy birthday Syd - I knew your birthday was close to mine...
  • gwenm4
    gwenm4 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday everyone! Yesterday was a crappy day. Got news that my sister's x-husband committed suicide -- or accidentally OD'd. The jury is out, but either way, he's a 53 year old father and grandfather and for the family, it's just so awful. So, today is a bright sunny day and I'm cleaning and painting and trying to keep my mind busy. Last week my former boss died at the age of 50. It's really been a terrible month. Hope everything is sunny in your part of the world.
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Ann, I've never been to the Caribbean. That sounds fabulous and I'm adding it to my bucket list. Happy birthday to you too! Fellow Taurus?

Gwen, how horrible! Jeez, that all puts things in perspective, huh? All we have is today. Meditation has really helped me with that. The countless hours we worry about the future keeps us from appreciating the right now. I'm very thankful for the good night sleep I got, this hot cup of coffee the husband made for me, and the hummingbird outside my window. I hope you lushes have a wonderful day <3
  • ryzeman
    Options
    Ann- I will have to check out Antigua. Always looking for interesting places to go!

Enjoy your birthday week Syd. Sitting with a cup of coffee watching the hummingbirds seems like a great way to start the day!

Gwen- Syd was right about putting things in perspective. Life is so precious and fleeting. Keep busy and be there for each other. You have a wonderful day as well Syd. <3

With that being said, my anxiety level over the impending visit from my brother and his girlfriend just dropped to just north of zero...

Enjoy life while you can lushes.
  • gwenm4
    Options
    Good morning Lushes! Hope your week is fabulous. Mine started out pretty crappy but I'm enjoying some very nice weather here in the N. Georgia mountains (except for the pollen...) Dinner with friends tonight so it's a light breakfast and salad for lunch. Wine is on the horizon. Have been pretty good all week sticking to 1200 cal but did have alcohol, just not a lot of it. Feel very good about my progress for April, and trying to be patient. I still have 4 months to ditch 10 pounds before my son's wedding but I'm not being super obsessed about it.

Wishing everyone a happy day!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    one more day until paradise. I can't wait.
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Aloha Robin!!

That's the way to do it, Gwen. You'll shed those 10 lbs for sure!

Woke up to beautiful flowers for my bday. We're off to the beach for lunch. Wine definitely :drinker:
  • gwenm4
    Options
    So I was so excited about my progress in April and then went to the doc and my scale is about 3 pounds off! And not in a good way. Ditched the scale and have a new one coming from Amazon. Feeling a tiny bit deflated but ready to start again today.

Happy bday Syd!

Robin, I hope you have a fabulous time on your trip!
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ugh, Gwen, scales suck! The pounds will come off, you'll see! Suicide sucks too. My daughter struggled with depression for years and attempted several times. I'm always worried that those bad times will return for her. It's a terrible thing and needs to be talked about more. I'm sorry for your losses.
    Enjoy that vacay Robin!!!
    Syd - the Caribbean is amazing, you have to check it out! The only stop we've made that I didn't care much for was the Bahamas (and boy, does that comment make me sound like a spoiled brat!) I don't mean to sound that way at all!!
    Gary - that is the best philosophy ever - enjoy every day to the fullest cause you never know! With that - I will have a drink tonight! :)<3
  • gwenm4
    Options
    Ann, thank you for your comment! I also totally understand your worries about your daughter. I have similar concerns with my grown daughter and I agree that we need to talk about it more openly. It's good to know you're not alone.

And, I TOO will be having a drink -- or two -- tonight. Scales be damned, it's Friday.

Happy weekend you lovely (and handsome) Lushes!
  • ryzeman
    Options
    Very insightful comments Ann, thanks for telling your story.

I feel I am surrounded by some pretty incredible people in this group.

Have a great weekend. <3:drinker:
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Thank you, Ann and Gwen for talking about mental illness/depression. I hope our children and grandchildren won't have the secrecy and stigma we all did. One of my majors in college was psychology but I couldn't get passed the lack of overall support available. Hell, even majoring in psychology back then was considered a frivolous degree. The work I see my son do as a social worker gives me hope. But without the resources available for help, I'm still afraid so many more suicides and tragic deaths will continue to happen. I firmly believe it's the moms, grandmothers (and dads), combined with our youth who are now willing to talk about it all, that will make changes in our society. That will make the difference.

Enjoy your weekend, lushes. Well deserved
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    In anticipation of a future move, I'm spring cleaning and being super aggressive about getting rid of stuff! It feels fantastic
    Btw I'm convinced my husband is a hoarder :|
    Wine tonight
  • gwenm4
    Options
    Syd, I couldn't agree with you more! I think it's awesome that you are able to see those changes taking place through the work your son does. That's so cool.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I'm on track today after a light-ish lushy weekend. Yesterday wasn't too bad. But oh, it was Monday. Okay, so weekend was lushy. And this one will be especially lushy as I have a friend (my former wine-drinking neighbor) coming to visit us in the Blue Ridge mountains for the first time. Haven't seen her in 3 years so it'll be fun taking her to our local wineries (and fooderies...) So yes, this week I am going to be extra "good" so I can be extra bad. Happy Tuesday to all.

Oh and I agree with you, Gary -- there are some incredible people in this group. Yourself included! I am happy to be part of it.
  • ryzeman
    Options
    Syd- Well said on the lack of priority to mental health. As for getting rid of stuff and feeling fantastic about it- I feel the same when going through stuff and getting rid of it. Very cleansing for the soul.

Gwen- Having motivation is always a great way to stay on track. Enjoy your upcoming weekend with your lushy friend, guilt free!

My weekend went well. My brother and his new girlfriend came down from Nome AK and stayed with us for four nights. I haven't seen much of my brother the past 40 years so it was a time to reconnect. It was a bit cold between my mom and him since she was and is close to his ex. But all in all it was a good visit. We took a road trip and visited some of the places we grew up at. Visited the grandparents old dairy farm. Its run down now and everything from the house to the barn is showing the wear of time. Kinda like us. The irony was noted.

The nicest surprise was when the owner came out and we talked with him. His father had bought the farm from my grandparents 45 years ago. His father passed last year but his family and sisters family still live on the farm. Its nice to know my grandparents sold to a family who loved the land as much as they did.

Enjoy the week!
  • SoCalWoman
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Have fun with your friend, Gwen! :drinker:

Gary, your visit sounds like it went well. Very cool you got to go see your old stomping grounds. My brother and I did that recently with our childhood home and everything looked so much smaller. That "huge" hill I used to ride my bike down was a small slope :D Oh also, it's selling for over $700k. Ridiculous that 1500sqft no where near the beach basic track home would go for that :o California real estate is ridiculous.
    Enjoy your weekend everyone! I'm moderating as usual and dropped a pound!