Steps
    6/19
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Weekly weigh in on 6/20/2019
    Previous Weight: 243.8
    Current Weight: 243.4

Not as much as I want, but I know it is mainly due to not being able to walk/work out for another five weeks.

6/19 steps: 4326
    Almost half pound! Good job!!
  • Navydaddjtc
    Navydaddjtc Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    z37mcfi815ey.png
    TEAM SHRINKING ASSETS
    PLEASE WELCOME TO YOUR TEAM FOR THE JULY CHALLENGE
    @makanacapellocullen AND @vmandere
    PLEASE WELCOME THEM TO YOUR TEAM
    THANKS
    GREG
  • ngk2000
    ngk2000 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Steps 6/19: 21,705
  • ngk2000
    ngk2000 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Weigh Day Thursday
    PW: 258.8
    CW: 260.8
    Hoping it's just due to the salty food I ate the past couple of days 😐
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I seriously don’t get weight loss. I was on my game doing everything I was supposed to do for 2 weeks and no weight would come off. I got discouraged and fell off the bandwagon this weekend. I ate at an all you can eat buffet, and had a massive lasagna dinner, AND skipped my run. Monday and Tuesday I didn’t go crazy, but didn’t track very well and probably ate over my calorie goal.

Today I stepped on the scale just to see how bad the damage was, and I lost a pound! What?! I mean yay I am excited – but I just don’t understand.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

There's so many things that can explain weight variations like this - all completely speculative!

Firstly, while we track "weight loss", because it is an easy measure to track, what we really aim for is fat loss, which is harder to measure.

Weight is a mix of fat, muscle, bone, water, contents of your digestive tract, etc and can vary throughout the day significantly, let alone from day to day - with hydration being the biggest cause for variances. Weigh yourself, have a glass of water, weigh yourself again - did you just put on weight? Yes. Did you put on fat? No.

So when weight loss stalls for a few weeks, even though you're doing everything right, you might have lost some fat but retained water at the same time so your total weight is not changing.

For many women there are key points in their menstrual cycle where their weight loss stalls or they put on weight - for me it is in the half week prior to my period. Hormonal changes cause water retention or bloating that increases weight temporarily, then there is a drop of this excess weight after my period. Did your cycle factor into the recent stall and loss?

If you look at the hormonal model, sleep and stress also play a part in whether we gain or lose fat. If on your weekend off the bandwagon you relaxed, had fun, enjoyed yourself, perhaps this was a letting go of stress that had been holding you back? Perhaps you skipped your run to get extra sleep?

And maybe you didn't eat as much as you thought you did. Some types of foods are filling but not necessarily fattening. You might have felt "full" and assumed you ate way too much, but feeling full may have led you to eat fewer snacks or eat less at the next meal or be a bit better in food choices in the days after. Diets that are high in fat often work on this principle - fatty foods fill people up, so they don't feel as hungry, and don't eat at much in total. Conversely, perhaps some of the foods you usually eat, which fit within your calorie restricted diet, are more fattening than the foods you ate on the weekend - hence stall followed by loss?

Lastly, there is also the biggest conundrum of dieting: pretty much every diet ever studied that involves continuous calorie restriction results not just in weight loss but in a lowered metabolism. There are some small studies (not solid) that suggest calorie cycling might be able to counteract the drop in metabolism. One model of calorie cycling is to diet for a week, then eat at full BMR for a week; another is an alternate day cycle (diet one day, eat full BMR the next); the 5:2 diet (eat reasonably healthily 5 days without calorie counting, then very low calories for 2 days); intermittent fasting is another variance. In theory, when your body is continuously getting a reduced calorie load it lowers metabolism so that input=output, but when it has irregular amounts of calories (sometimes plenty, sometimes a deficit), it doesn't get used to it so keeps burning energy at a normal rate regardless of energy input.

Under this theory, if you have been continuously eating reduced calories for a while, perhaps your body had started to slow the metabolism, but in having a few days of increased calories, perhaps it gave your body a reason to boost its metabolism.

At the end of the day - the long term trend is the important one, rather than short term gains and losses.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,554 Member
    Options
    z37mcfi815ey.png
    TEAM SHRINKING ASSETS
    THANKS
    GREG

Welcome!
  • mustb60
    Options
    Mustb60
    Weigh in Friday
    PW 176.4 lbs
    CW 176.4 lbs
  • mustb60
    Options
    z37mcfi815ey.png
    TEAM SHRINKING ASSETS
    THANKS
    GREG
    Great to have new friends in the group!!
  • lhughes2019
    lhughes2019 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    PW 154.8
    CW 153.0

Not sure if I logged my weight last week or not, sorry team captains! Well a better week this week but only just, I’m working on motivation and good food choices this week, old snacking habits have snuck in
  • ChoseMyChains
    ChoseMyChains Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    PW 154.8
    CW 153.0

Not sure if I logged my weight last week or not, sorry team captains! Well a better week this week but only just, I’m working on motivation and good food choices this week, old snacking habits have snuck in

My boss told me something the other day.....make good bad choices. When you go out or even at home and you know you shouldn't get the Whopper with cheese and make it a double, but you definitely don't want the salad, get the Whopper Jr instead. It is still a "bad" decision, but it is definitely better than the other.

Good luck and remember....practice makes progress as there is no such thing as perfection.
  • ChoseMyChains
    Options
    mustb60 wrote: »
    Weekly weigh in on 6/20/2019
    Previous Weight: 243.8
    Current Weight: 243.4

Not as much as I want, but I know it is mainly due to not being able to walk/work out for another five weeks.

6/19 steps: 4326
    Almost half pound! Good job!!

Thank you!
  • ChoseMyChains
    Options
    z37mcfi815ey.png
    TEAM SHRINKING ASSETS
    THANKS
    GREG

Welcome to the team @makanacapellocullen and @vmandere
  • ChoseMyChains
    Options
    Steps for 6/20/2019: 4429
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Steps
    6/20
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I have had a pretty rough week with food and sleep.
    I am rolling over last weeks weight for today.
    Monday - Thursday this week, I have atleast gotten over 10k each day.
    I think I need about 20k each day to get my 7 miles a day.
    OH EM GEEEEEEE
  • lindamtuck2018
    edited June 2019
    Options
    PW 214.6
    CW 218.4

I really don’t know what to think about this. It is my first gain since I got serious about losing weight in February. My brain tells me that I am on vacation and had some crazy eating days last week. The emotional side of me wants to beat myself up. Well I am going to pout for a little while and then pat myself on the back for a job well done so far.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    So everyone, what’s your weekend plans?

This is my last weekend in Newfoundland and if it doesn’t rain I am going to walk the Manuel’s river trail. I did finally see some icebergs. I am having lunch with my brother today. This is the third time I got to see him so it has been nice.
This discussion has been closed.