July 2019 B210k group

Options
emmamcgarity
emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
edited June 2019 in Social Groups
I am creating this thread for graduates of c25k who plan to start B210k around July 2019 so that we can encourage each other.

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    Options
    @msielbeck welcome! I plan to start June 30/July 1
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks @emmamcgarity! I started on 6/20.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    How is it going so far? I’m excited to start soon
  • mirthegeologist
    Options
    It’s been good! I completed the C25K outdoors, but after a few hot and humid morning runs, I decided to try running at the gym on a treadmill. It’s a different experience—there so many distractions of people wandering around, and the machines make me very aware of how slow I run! I try to focus on my progress and assume that I’ll get faster with time. :)
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    It’s hot outside here too and I’m wondering how that will work out. I don’t have a gym membership so I’m running in the evening around my neighborhood. I plan to attend a 5k Parkrun on Saturday morning and listen to the B210k podcast while there since it looks like the time would overlap with my current pace
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I have my final C25K run on Friday morning and then will be 'bridging' from Sunday! We are having strangely cool weather here but am a bit concerned about I'll cope when the inevitable heat arrives.

I am only going to do 2 runs from the programme a week as I simply don't have time for the long runs more than that! So, on my third run day I'm gonna do 30 mins and try to get faster and so further each week.

@emmamcgarity your podcast and my app attack the bridge in slightly different ways, will be interesting to compare notes!

@msielbeck hello! What programme are you using for the bridge?
  • mirthegeologist
    Options
    Hi! I’m using the zen labs app, mostly just for tracking and the voice cues. It’s not quite as critical anymore since the run times are more consistent (4 10-min runs, 3 15-minute runs, etc).
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Hmmm I’m going to think about my start date a little more. Maybe I will just start tomorrow night and see what my distance ends up being before I go to parkrun on Saturday
  • kilobykilo
    Options
    My app makes it complicated!

Week 1: run 20 walk 3 win 20 x 2 then once with the walk just 2mins

Week 2: run 10, walk 1, run 10, walk 2, run 10, walk 3, run 10, walk 4 run 10. X 2 and then repeated with 12 min runs

Week 3: run 15 walk 2 run 15 walk 3 win 15
    Run 25 walk 5 run 15
    Run 25 walk 3 run 15

Week 4: run 30 walk 5 run 15 x 2, then once with only 2 min walk

Week 5: run 40, walk 5 run 10
    Run 40 walk 3 run 10
    Run 40 walk 2 run 10

Week 6
    Run 50 run 55 run 60

Looking forward to the challenge, but that week 6 is already terrifying me!
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Congratulations all you graduates :)<3
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    I went ahead and started tonight. My Fitbit clocked my overall pace at 12:30 which is only slightly faster than my 5k pace last weekend. So I think I can overlap the 2nd podcast for my 5k parkrun this Saturday. Once I hit week 2 I’ll have to make choices about b10k training vs parkrun days. It might just mean that I extend the sessions out over a longer period of time so that I can continue to enjoy these events.

The announcer on the podcast is more abrupt than the c25k announcer was. But I do like the music selections better.
  • kilobykilo
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Well done for getting started @emmamcgarity !

I just ran my first ever 5km, something I've fratanised with doing for over a decade but never succeeded, until today!

37 and half minutes, I'll take that and now work on beating it!

Looking forward to heading back to shorter intervals on Sunday.

10km here we come!

Happy Friday everyone!
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Congrats on your first 5k! @kilobykilo
  • mirthegeologist
    Options
    Well done @kilobykilo!
  • mirthegeologist
    Options
    I looked at my app for the running schedule—it different than yours, @kilobykilo, but gets to the same result. :smile:

Week 9: run 10, walk 1, repeat 4 times
    Week 10: run 15, walk 1, repeat 3 times
    Week 11: run 17, walk 1, repeat 3 times
    Week 12: run 18, walk 1, repeat 3 times
    Week 13: run 22, walk 1, repeat 2 times
    run 25, walk 1, repeat 2 times
    run 30, walk 1, repeat 2 times
    Week 14: run 60
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    I did my 5k parkrun this morning and improved my time to 36:10. I listened to the B210k app while running but I will repeat this day since I didn’t finish all the prescribed time. The other runners at coffee encouraged me to join the local running association. They are having a banquet tomorrow night and I am considering going to meet other local runners.
  • kilobykilo
    Options
    @emmamcgarity Wow you took a chunk off your time, well done! And joining a running club sounds great 😁

I walked 7km of the route for my 10 km in October today, it gave me a wake up call that it is far ....!

Might do my first bridge run on part of it tomorrow, let's see!
  • kilobykilo
    Options
    @msielbeck our apps take almost opposite approaches to get there, will be interesting comparing notes!
  • mirthegeologist
    Options
    @kilobykilo I had the same thought!

I’m on week 10, and it’s amazing how quickly my endurance is increasing. Getting through 45 minutes with two short walking breaks had been much easier than I anticipated. I’m also noticing that I’m going slightly faster, which is a benefit for the treadmill—I know exactly what my pace is and how far I’ve run. (Don’t get me wrong, I’m still slow as molasses).
  • kilobykilo
    Options
    All ready to run but laid on the sofa putting it off! I will be reporting back later that run 1 is done, I will!