July 2019 B210k group

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,541 Member
    ag2fudnlpff2.jpg

So I may have skipped a few steps yesterday. To be fair it was the perfect evening for a run. I had dropped my lovely wife in town for an evening so I had the chance to run along Eastbourne seafront. It was a mild temperature, a very soft sea breeze, the occasional drop of rain. 64 minutes later and my first 10k of the modern era was complete.
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    Amazing, well done!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Great job!
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 494 Member
    ag2fudnlpff2.jpg

So I may have skipped a few steps yesterday. To be fair it was the perfect evening for a run. I had dropped my lovely wife in town for an evening so I had the chance to run along Eastbourne seafront. It was a mild temperature, a very soft sea breeze, the occasional drop of rain. 64 minutes later and my first 10k of the modern era was complete.

Wow. That's inspiring.
  • TheMrWobbly
    Are you excited for the weekend @kilobykilo ?
  • kilobykilo
    Are you excited for the weekend @kilobykilo ?

Thanks for asking!

wish it wasnt this weekend.....! Crazy week, had no time to think never mind get out and jog a bit. Weather is horrid. But, no matter the setbacks Sunday will be a good day!
  • emmamcgarity
    @kilobykilo was your 10k today? How’d it go?
  • kilobykilo
    @emmamcgarity thanks for asking! Currently cooking a mountain of pasta as it is in the morning..... the weather has been so miserable today, got soaked to the skin just picking my number up! Everything crossed tomorrow is better!
  • emmamcgarity
    Good luck! I went to Parkrun this morning and did the 5k twice with about a 3-5 minute rest in between. I thought if you and wondered if today was the day. If I add my two 5ks together I landed at around 71-72 minutes total and kept mostly to a conversational pace throughout. I’m likely signing up for a 10k race in November
  • TheMrWobbly
    Have a great day @kilobykilo
    mowqbfxqhtc3.jpg
  • TheMrWobbly
    Missed the park run yesterday so did a 'sort of' 10k today. 5k to McDonalds, stopped off for 10 minutes to get a free latte and then 5k back.
  • kilobykilo
    @TheMrWobbly love that! Im now walkkng to meet a mate for a probable macdonalds which will be much dirtier than a latte! Final supper before a month of focus..... and probably just about deserved after this morning's exertions!
  • TheMrWobbly
    I bet that McDonalds was delicious!!!! A week on I thought I would try another 10k to prove to myself it wasn't one off. Feeling it at the end of this one, there were more ups and downs than the seafront and it was the 3rd day doing 10k in the last 8 days so might drop back down to 5k twice a week and 10k+ once every two weeks.
  • kilobykilo
    Turned into this, was delish!

b73ax6w20fhd.jpg

I still cant actually run 10km..... and try to only run on the flat at river level.... but by 26th April, I will be a pro, I hope! Next race booked!

Think I'm going to follow a similar plan to you.... two shorter runs and a long one each week. Cant wait for lighter mornings from next week so I can do weds pre work!
  • TheMrWobbly
    That looks goooooooood!
  • TheMrWobbly
    Just entered my first half marathon!!! I just wanted to say that, I'm actually going to jog 10k and then see what happens, hopefully reach 15k though I will walk whatever I need to. Whatever I do my race fee is donated to the poppy appeal for ex-service men and women and I couldn't be happier to support them :)
    2s7bv8lh79bv.jpg
  • kilobykilo
    Exciting times!
  • TheMrWobbly
    How long to your race @emmamcgarity ?
  • emmamcgarity
    How long to your race @emmamcgarity ?
    Nov 2 for my 5k race. Might do a 10k on Nov 28
  • kilobykilo
    Ohhhh coming up quickly now @emmamcgarity
  • emmamcgarity
    Yes this is the goal race for the running class I’ve been going to each week. One of the coaches agreed to pace me for the race.
  • kilobykilo
    Bril! Are you still enjoying the classes? What pace will the coach be setting for you?

My 10km part 2 training starts today! I've got 6 months, so, have made a random plan that I'll adjust as I go.

Going to use the Bristish Heart Foundation plans, which are 8 weeks each, and start with intermediate 5km, then beginner 10km then intermediate 10km. And..... see where that leaves me in april!

Enjoy your park runs those of you lucky enough to have them!
  • TheMrWobbly
    That's excellent @emmamcgarity and I bet you can't wait for the 28th?

Let me know how you get on with the BHF plans @kilobykilo. I just found out that the UA MapMyRun app has built in training programmes so I started one today to combine with the park run. It gave me the option of time or distance and I am definitely not looking for times at this stage, getting to the finish is my target for now, so this will hopefully suit me.

Are you getting a run in this weekend @Just_Ceci ?

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • kilobykilo
    @TheMrWobbly that sounds cool. I've never got on with mapmyrun..... might dog it out again this next few weeks :)
  • emmamcgarity
    My coach wants me to go for a 30:00 in the 5k and plans to pace me for that. It ends up being 9:38 per mile. I think that pace will be quite a reach for me. 31:00 is likely more realistic.

Completed my first continuous 10k tonight at my training pace. Total time was 1:12:06. I felt strong throughout. I feel I could have ran longer but I stopped just so I’d have a time to measure against in the future.

I’m definitely enjoying the class and the structured training program. I’ve been looking through half marathon training programs and they don’t feel nearly as out of reach as they once were.

In other news, I currently have 2 more pounds to lose to reach the top of the healthy BMI range for my height. My personal goal is a little lighter (9 more pounds for my personal goal) just because I want to allow for fluctuations. It’s nearing 2 years of counting calories and I feel comfortable continuing to track forever at this point. It’s become a habit. I started at the bottom of the obese range. So I’m definitely feeling healthier than I was 2 years ago.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 494 Member
    My coach wants me to go for a 30:00 in the 5k and plans to pace me for that. It ends up being 9:38 per mile. I think that pace will be quite a reach for me. 31:00 is likely more realistic.

Completed my first continuous 10k tonight at my training pace. Total time was 1:12:06. I felt strong throughout. I feel I could have ran longer but I stopped just so I’d have a time to measure against in the future.

I’m definitely enjoying the class and the structured training program. I’ve been looking through half marathon training programs and they don’t feel nearly as out of reach as they once were.

In other news, I currently have 2 more pounds to lose to reach the top of the healthy BMI range for my height. My personal goal is a little lighter (9 more pounds for my personal goal) just because I want to allow for fluctuations. It’s nearing 2 years of counting calories and I feel comfortable continuing to track forever at this point. It’s become a habit. I started at the bottom of the obese range. So I’m definitely feeling healthier than I was 2 years ago.

Congrats on meeting all these goals!

• TheMrWobbly
    That is really impressive @emmamcgarity and congratulations on your first complete 10k. We have the same aim to reach an official 'healthy' BMI though I confess I started somewhat further away from it! Keep us updated on the race, I find that, for no apparent reason, I go slightly quicker in a group event than running solo.
  • kilobykilo
    @emmamcgarity amazing progress, well done! I agree with with @TheMrWobbly that on race day you'll probably fine that bit of extra speed :)

Starting my new programme today. Let's see if I can keep this one up!

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    That's excellent @emmamcgarity and I bet you can't wait for the 28th?

Let me know how you get on with the BHF plans @kilobykilo. I just found out that the UA MapMyRun app has built in training programmes so I started one today to combine with the park run. It gave me the option of time or distance and I am definitely not looking for times at this stage, getting to the finish is my target for now, so this will hopefully suit me.

Are you getting a run in this weekend @Just_Ceci ?

Have a great weekend everyone!

No, but I spent all day Saturday hiking around Little Rock! :|

Next weekend is a 3 day camping trip with scheduled hikes each day. Completely offline- no, electricity, no cell phone signal, etc. Temps will be in the mid- 20's F for two of the three nights. Should be an awesome trip!
  • TheMrWobbly
    That sounds so good @Just_Ceci - have a great trip!