July 2019 B210k group

Options

Replies

• mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a Fitbit, but I haven’t had much success using it for pacing yet. I have it to alert every 10 minutes, but mileage may be more helpful. It also seems to unsync with my phone periodically, so there are lots of random alerts that confuse me. It also is very temperamental when there is high heat and humidity—it can be hard to navigate, especially while running.

Wow, I’m not sure I realized how many complaints I had about it until I wrote all that out. Clearly I had more frustration about it that I realized. 😂
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Inspire HR. I really like it. I keep the Fitbit app opened in the background of my phone to connect my gps and haven’t had any issues with it disconnecting. But I don’t use an app for b210k. I use downloaded podcasts. I’ve heard great things about Garmin but I have social connections on Fitbit that I find more motivating.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    I did week 4 run 2 last night. I waited until dark and kept it slow due to the heat/humidity. I clocked in at 4 miles. No issues with my hip. Yay!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I did week 4 run 2 last night. I waited until dark and kept it slow due to the heat/humidity. I clocked in at 4 miles. No issues with my hip. Yay!

la6u1jv7upqh.gif
  • mirthegeologist
    Options
    @emmamcgarity That’s fantastic!
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Week 4 complete. Hot and humid again. I’m looking forward to starting the week 5 runs.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Week 5 run 1 complete - linger segments but shorter overall time. Other than the oppressive heat outside all went well. My pace was good, zero hip pain, and I felt I easily could have run longer.
  • mirthegeologist
    Options
    Training complete! Well, the scheduled app runs are complete, lol. I’ve yet to run a full 10K, but I did sign up for a 10K race on Labor Day. After reviewing the results from last year, I fully anticipate finishing last, which is totally fine.

So for the next couple of weeks, I’ll be working on pacing and running outside.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    I’ll be running tonight week 5 run 3. Next week will be the 60 minute segments. I’ve deliberately paced myself pretty slow around 14 minutes per mile which won’t put me at 10k. I’m considering trying to pace just barely faster to see how it goes
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Week 5 run 3 complete. My pace ended up at 12:36 per mile and my overall distance at 4.84 miles. I was tempted to keep running an extra minute to have an even 5 miles but I stopped when the bell chimed.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Week 6 run 1 complete. Distance was only 4.4 miles but the heat was oppressive even at night and I got nervous about wearing myself out. I have Parkrun in Saturday so the next session will have to wait until next week. I checked out a book from the library about running and training and how to get faster. I’m planning to implement some of those strategies once I finish the b210k. I was glad to read that I am already in the right track by starting some basic strength training and yoga.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    @msielbeck how is your training going? Are you feeling ready for your upcoming race?
  • mirthegeologist
    Options
    It’s going, although I could probably do more. My goal is completion, and I can definitely achieve that. It won’t be pretty, but will hopefully be fun.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Week 6 run 2 complete. The heat was oppressive even after 9 pm and I struggled. At the 47 minute mark I had to take a short walk break. I was really struggling with the heat and humidity. I ended up pouring part of my water bottles over the top of my head so that I could keep going and finish.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Final run complete. Distance was 4.74 miles with no walk breaks. I felt strong enough that I think I could have kept running another 5-10 minutes at that pace. Not sure what my strategy is yet but I’m determined to make the 10k distance at some point soon
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Final run complete. Distance was 4.74 miles with no walk breaks. I felt strong enough that I think I could have kept running another 5-10 minutes at that pace. Not sure what my strategy is yet but I’m determined to make the 10k distance at some point soon

Awesome!

Just keep adding to the time you run. You might also consider throwing in some speedwork or hill repeats to help increase your pace.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »

Awesome!

Just keep adding to the time you run. You might also consider throwing in some speedwork or hill repeats to help increase your pace.
    I found a distance based 15k trainer that looks solid. I also joined avrunning club that has coached events. So I’m thinking I may go to their hill workout and talk to the coach for pointers. Strava shows me trending faster so that’s a good sign.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I started in early August, but this seems to be the most active thread so I figure that's close enough.

I just finished Week 2 and am planning to start W3D1 tomorrow morning. I've been taking longer rests between runs than prescribed by the program, plus I repeated W2D3 once. Going a little slower, but still feel like I'm making good progress. I'm most likely heavier than most people attempting the program (~308 currently), so I don't want to push my luck when I feel leg pain on runs.

I think that my biggest problem so far is running too close to the edge of the road, where it's banked for drainage. I always get pain in my lower left inside calf area.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    merph518 wrote: »
    I started in early August, but this seems to be the most active thread so I figure that's close enough.

I just finished Week 2 and am planning to start W3D1 tomorrow morning. I've been taking longer rests between runs than prescribed by the program, plus I repeated W2D3 once. Going a little slower, but still feel like I'm making good progress. I'm most likely heavier than most people attempting the program (~308 currently), so I don't want to push my luck when I feel leg pain on runs.

I think that my biggest problem so far is running too close to the edge of the road, where it's banked for drainage. I always get pain in my lower left inside calf area.

The edge of the road and the sidewalks are pretty uneven near my house. I use them if cars are coming but when traffic isn’t an issue I run closer to the middle of the road where it isn’t as slanted.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's what I need to do. I need to be more confident claiming the road. The area I run in around my house isn't too busy, thankfully.